Should I start over?

I'm in a November 2015 shard and took a 6 month break from the game and just started playing against last month, should I just make a new account
I have some good 7 star toons tho, QGJ, Yoda, etc all gear 8 and above QGJ is gear 10 almost Gear 11.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    6 months. Yes you should, IMO.

Do you care about arena rank? I doubt you will get a good rank unless you are willing to spend some money.

Have you checked out the "necessary" teams for the HAAT, are you close to any of them?

How is you pilot situation?

How about scoundrels?

There is a lot of new stuff and starting over will allow you to build a great roster from the ground up and not for you into a corner.

Good luck
  • Kyno wrote: »

Do you care about arena rank? I doubt you will get a good rank unless you are willing to spend some money.

Have you checked out the "necessary" teams for the HAAT, are you close to any of them?

How about scoundrels?

There is a lot of new stuff and starting over will allow you to build a great roster from the ground up and not for you into a corner.

Good luck

Yeah I mean I have some good toons, just not the right squads, rank 700 in arena
    in the last tier for ships
    have boba 5 stars lando 6 stars st han i have decent scoundrels and dengar at 5 stars
  • Yes
  • If so when I start over, how should I go about it and who should I farm first and everything.
  • Tyvokka wrote: »
    If so when I start over, how should I go about it and who should I farm first and everything.

Check the guides subforum - everything you need to know is right there
  • Should I start over now or wait?
  • Tyvokka wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

How about scoundrels?

Good luck

Yeah I mean I have some good toons, just not the right squads, rank 700 in arena
    in the last tier for ships
    have boba 5 stars lando 6 stars st han i have decent scoundrels and dengar at 5 stars

I took a 3 month break on December 2015 shard, but I came back right around the time of the EP event in August. I'd dropped down to around 400-500 in the arena, and now I'm ranking top 10 consistently, but 6 months is a much bigger gap considering the things that happened in the 6 months you were gone. It's certainly possible to work back up, but it did take me a while of everyone being gear capped and working up to them to get back to the top. If you did work back up it'd probably take at least 6 months, so it's probably better for you to go for a new account and start again. Plus a lot of characters that used to be very useful back in Nov 15, Dec 15, Jan 16 and Feb 16 are no longer very useful at all.
  • Well, starting over gives you the opportunity of snowballing pretty hard. If you manage to get a good first char plus a decent rank you can sit in top arena from the get go.

It's tedious to keep creating new accounts, though. And it's tedious to play with the starting characters again lol.

But if you dedicate yourself and dodge whales for a while, you can feel like a king for sure.

I used to say restarting is the only option, but it takes a long time to climb back. And the early game is very tedious, even if you rule the arena
  • @Tyvokka you may be on my shard. Who's currently at rank 1 for you? If you are, we could help you get back on track.
  • The 6 months off is too big a hole to make up in the arena. The arena characters can get you a pretty decent team and if you place higher you will get more arena tokens. Starting over and build a good arena team from scratch, then sub in stronger characters as they become available. Go with a dual purpose arena/scoundrel team, STHan and IG-88, Chewie is a good start. Build up to unlock Lando and Boba quickly, then you will have a steady stream of credits and training droids.

• Man - I'd hate to try to start over. I've been going since May / June of last year and just thinking about going back and grinding out those characters again makes me cringe.
  • Why start over? That makes no sense to me. Just fixate on the characters that are amazing in any team and go and get them with what you've got now.
  • sneeyatch
    518 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Agreed - a lot are saying that 6 months is too much time off, can't catch up, etc. To me this would be the same thing as a new player - except now he has an edge. I guess it would translate to something like a new player would never be able to catch up? This doesn't make sense to me.

I say adapt to the changes in the game with what you have, focus on what you want and keep playing that account.
  • I quit playing for about 5 months and I would never start over. I tried an alt account once or twice, but after playing late game, the early game is SO boring...

It isn't too much to make up depending on your priorities. I am perfectly content never making the top 50 in arena, though I'd say it isn't an impossibility. It's only 5 toons, and while everyone else is maxed you have plenty of time to grow while they stay the same strength. I stay around or under rank 400 every day even though I only have two toons past gear IX (which is relatively abysmal).

Everything is faster, easier, and more fun in the high levels. Everyone is always chasing the meta. If they can catch up to the curve time and time again, you can too.

Stick with it, man. Only start over if your top priority is ruling the arena leaderboards, and even then it's a gamble cause you could get tossed in a super-whale server.
  • My reasoning for starting over is to get into a new shard and build around arena payouts. If this is not the strategy you want then don't start over. The hole you will be in is the 6 month advantage everyone has on you in arena. Otherwise you should be fine to build on what you have already.
    Of course for a few bucks you could buy R1 rebels and be ahead of everyone pretty fast
  • i would never suggest starting over myself. just change your course. i can't think of any reason to throw away what's been done. but then again i'm far from a competitive person so maybe that's the angle these guys are coming from.

personally i've worked way too hard on some toons to just start over and get them again. granted there are toons i've dumped resources into i wish i hadn't but they just collect dust at the bottom of the pile no biggie.
  • Why start over? That makes no sense to me. Just fixate on the characters that are amazing in any team and go and get them with what you've got now.
    spotremix wrote: »
    i would never suggest starting over myself. just change your course. i can't think of any reason to throw away what's been done. but then again i'm far from a competitive person so maybe that's the angle these guys are coming from.

personally i've worked way too hard on some toons to just start over and get them again. granted there are toons i've dumped resources into i wish i hadn't but they just collect dust at the bottom of the pile no biggie.

Because your arena rank will be terrible, you are months behind everyone, and if you can't win in arena, you can't get crystals, you won't get refreshes, and you can't progress
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    You can farm FOTM characters just as fast as anyone else can.
  • Yes
    145 posts Member
    Just start an alt account and farm what you like most and what's beneficial to the newest meta. That's what I did, I left when they first nerfed Barris. Came back probably more than 6 months come to think. Keeping my old account and started a newer account and now I'm 40-20 depending on the day. So raiding with both accounts just hero on the old and reg on the newer
  • What's more important to you?

1. Arena Rank - for crystals which can get you more gear and progress quicker than other people at your level.
    2. Unlocking characters - because you want to collect them all and have as many characters available to work up as possible for different events/parts of the game etc.

If your answer is 1 then yes start over. If your answer is 2 then no, don't start over.
  • Dhoey321 wrote: »
    What's more important to you?

1. Arena Rank - for crystals which can get you more gear and progress quicker than other people at your level.
    2. Unlocking characters - because you want to collect them all and have as many characters available to work up as possible for different events/parts of the game etc.

If your answer is 1 then yes start over. If your answer is 2 then no, don't start over.

This is probably the best answer. Even though I don't chase the arena like a lot of people do, I typically come in somewhere around 130 - 85 on average. Crystals will help big time in getting ahead - but - you can always drop a few $$ on them.

I'm split down the middle on my game play and have 2 accounts. My main - I chase a lot of toons so I can have diversity and try to do all I can. My alt account is team oriented / specific. I have a full jawa team, ewoks, droids and am working on resistance and clones. I will say that having a team with synergy is cool and fun, but it WILL hold you back from progressing.

If he had to ask about starting over, then he probably cared more about arena rank than just collecting characters. At least that's how I saw it. That's the only reason to even think about it.
    spotremix wrote: »
    i would never suggest starting over myself. just change your course. i can't think of any reason to throw away what's been done. but then again i'm far from a competitive person so maybe that's the angle these guys are coming from.

Because your arena rank will be terrible, you are months behind everyone, and if you can't win in arena, you can't get crystals, you won't get refreshes, and you can't progress

so tell me again why start over?? i'm not even in the top 200. i can't say where i am compared to others as i don't care about that. i don't refresh but i do progress and get crystals.

and i play multiple times each and every day.

what about number 3?? you don't care about arena rank or unlocking every single toon. you just want to unlock the ones you like??