What is the downside to DeathTrooper (DT)?

Prev1
I've got mine to gear 11 level 85, and decent mods. He's sitting at 20k health and 44k protection. Why? It feels weird that he has the stats of a 7* toon. Granted I've modded mine for health and protection, but this still seems high for an attacker. My main question is why wouldn't I use him in an Empire squad for arena? Does the AI not use him right at all? Is there a counter to him that makes him irrelevant that isn't just a generic counter like stuns? Also I'm not intending on getting Krennic that high gear wise but he seems good too so should I start farming Zeta's again for their synergy?

Replies

• Don't have him, but if I were to make a guess I would say because then you'd have to replace another character, if you're not going to have krenic lead then you will likely have palps, with palps comes Vader, TFP definitely in there also. then either shore trooper as he is empire Or baze because at this point you could just throw him anywhere and he'd be amazing. After this you only have one free spot that isn't pretty much mandatorily given away, and that is most likely going to boba
  • IMO DT and DK have great synergy - reminds me of something similar to Biggs and Wedge. I've been using them off and on, under different leaders, DK as the leader and so on. The both gain bonuses if each is present, DK can revive DT and based on the DoTs on enemies, DT can come back with full health, plus attack on reviving.

I personally think DK as a leader is probably the better way to set-up his team instead of him being a secondary to Palps or Vader. There are enough empire toons now to make 2 really viable squads, each with their own leaders.

I've been focusing on empire for a while now and set-up my first team in GW with DK (L), DT, Magma, Tarkin and Boba. Once they were done, I switched over to EP (L), Vader, Shore, RG & TFP. I'm working on regular storm trooper, Veers and snow trooper but they aren't viable to me yet to test out under these leaders.
  • PapiBlanco wrote: »
    Don't have him, but if I were to make a guess I would say because then you'd have to replace another character, if you're not going to have krenic lead then you will likely have palps, with palps comes Vader, TFP definitely in there also. then either shore trooper as he is empire Or baze because at this point you could just throw him anywhere and he'd be amazing. After this you only have one free spot that isn't pretty much mandatorily given away, and that is most likely going to boba

I don't rate Boba at all. He's ok but in the current meta you need to build the squad around him. His Execute was a pain when he first started coming out but now with Krennic lead and DT's Deathmark, Boba hasn't been a problem at all. Also, didn't know if you knew but the Deathmark works like the Pigs's Deathmark, if Boba dies while Deathmark was on him, he doesn't revive. DT is a hard counter to Boba
  • sneeyatch wrote: »
    IMO DT and DK have great synergy - reminds me of something similar to Biggs and Wedge. I've been using them off and on, under different leaders, DK as the leader and so on. The both gain bonuses if each is present, DK can revive DT and based on the DoTs on enemies, DT can come back with full health, plus attack on reviving.

I personally think DK as a leader is probably the better way to set-up his team instead of him being a secondary to Palps or Vader. There are enough empire toons now to make 2 really viable squads, each with their own leaders.

I've been focusing on empire for a while now and set-up my first team in GW with DK (L), DT, Magma, Tarkin and Boba. Once they were done, I switched over to EP (L), Vader, Shore, RG & TFP. I'm working on regular storm trooper, Veers and snow trooper but they aren't viable to me yet to test out under these leaders.

Do you think the zeta for Krennic would be useful or just kind of icing on the cake? I've considered farming zetas again for another one but I'm not seein any that are just outstanding that would benifit my roster too much. I got Zader because of the raid potential but that took forever
  • I would say price.
  • The downside is how much he will cost to get a 7*
  • I would say price.
    The downside is how much he will cost to get a 7*

But mine even at 3* has more health and protection than my TFP who is 7*, both gear 11 level 85
    IMO DT and DK have great synergy - reminds me of something similar to Biggs and Wedge. I've been using them off and on, under different leaders, DK as the leader and so on. The both gain bonuses if each is present, DK can revive DT and based on the DoTs on enemies, DT can come back with full health, plus attack on reviving.

Who's DK?

OP - there was a squad with a 3* DT in 1st in arena yesterday.. 2015 shard.. several more rolling top 20.

• PapiBlanco wrote: »
    Don't have him, but if I were to make a guess I would say because then you'd have to replace another character, if you're not going to have krenic lead then you will likely have palps, with palps comes Vader, TFP definitely in there also. then either shore trooper as he is empire Or baze because at this point you could just throw him anywhere and he'd be amazing. After this you only have one free spot that isn't pretty much mandatorily given away, and that is most likely going to boba

I don't rate Boba at all. He's ok but in the current meta you need to build the squad around him. His Execute was a pain when he first started coming out but now with Krennic lead and DT's Deathmark, Boba hasn't been a problem at all. Also, didn't know if you knew but the Deathmark works like the Pigs's Deathmark, if Boba dies while Deathmark was on him, he doesn't revive. DT is a hard counter to Boba

ah true, but still goes without saying that death trooper would likely be a 5th spot on a palps lead, and even then it's mainly because of his AoE dispell
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    I don't think he does enough damage as a 3* to justify using him in place of someone else. He's definitely not better than TFP or EP in Zaul and Zader teams
  • He looks similar to all of the other bulky attackers, high health and decent armor but low damage
  • Okonomiyakiparty
    121 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I've used him for a week at 3* gear 8 and I was quite happy with it... Until I realized he sucks on defense (AI ?). His downside is probably his low speed (mine was 160) but his dispel is very useful against Rex team. Love the deathmark too by finally switch him with vador, much better on defense !
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I take top five with him in year old Dec shard and haven't fallen past 15th in last week since I started using him in my team. Zader, DT, palp, tfp, and b2.

His weakness is defiantly in his speed. Without zader lead he would never get a turn.
  • Zooey wrote: »
    I don't think he does enough damage as a 3* to justify using him in place of someone else. He's definitely not better than TFP or EP in Zaul and Zader teams

I run Palp lead with Vader, TFP, Shore, and now DT. I haven't dropped lower than 20 since. Plus against Rebels he's always going to double tap on basic for around 8k. His AOE is utility so it's not meant for damage, and his special hit reliably for around 12-17k on mine. His damage is up there at gear 11.
  • warmonkey wrote: »
    I take top five with him in year old Dec shard and haven't fallen past 15th in last week since I started using him in my team. Zader, DT, palp, tfp, and b2.

His weakness is defiantly in his speed. Without zader lead he would never get a turn.

Mines sitting at 173 which is pretty slow compared to other toons but he does get a go with Shore guarding him and Palp stun out of the gate
  • Holio wrote: »
    sneeyatch wrote: »

Who's DK?

OP - there was a squad with a 3* DT in 1st in arena yesterday.. 2015 shard.. several more rolling top 20.

DK is Krennic, Director Krennic. Not sure if that acronym had been established before but I like it. Reminds me of Donkey Kong
  • Ah yes - Krennic - Thanks!
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »

I run Palp lead with Vader, TFP, Shore, and now DT. I haven't dropped lower than 20 since. Plus against Rebels he's always going to double tap on basic for around 8k. His AOE is utility so it's not meant for damage, and his special hit reliably for around 12-17k on mine. His damage is up there at gear 11.

On ur team he might be fine but I'd still take Boba or B2 over him for utility. I'm running Zader, TFP, GK, Palp, Boba and DT would be useless. Don't really want to gear someone I won't 7* for a while.
  • Holio wrote: »
    sneeyatch wrote: »

Who's DK?

DK is Krennic, Director Krennic. Not sure if that acronym had been established before but I like it. Reminds me of Donkey Kong

I like krooper cause it reminds me of koopa troopa from Mario lol
  • Do you think the zeta for Krennic would be useful or just kind of icing on the cake? I've considered farming zetas again for another one but I'm not seein any that are just outstanding that would benifit my roster too much. I got Zader because of the raid potential but that took forever

I think so. I'm seeing more and more abilities that are adding protection. 10% protection add on a critical hit for all empire teammates - yeah, I think it's going to help.

Look at Boba and Kylo - some guy posted a video of him soloing GW with just these 2 guys with their zetas. It's nuts - and is going to be the new thing to make your toons as OP as possible.

Do you think the zeta for Krennic would be useful or just kind of icing on the cake? I've considered farming zetas again for another one but I'm not seein any that are just outstanding that would benifit my roster too much. I got Zader because of the raid potential but that took forever

I think so. I'm seeing more and more abilities that are adding protection. 10% protection add on a critical hit for all empire teammates - yeah, I think it's going to help.

Look at Boba and Kylo - some guy posted a video of him soloing GW with just these 2 guys with their zetas. It's nuts - and is going to be the new thing to make your toons as OP as possible.

Yeah but currently farming them is way to long and too costly. As soon as I can get Ships up to scratch to where I can farm that challenge for zetas then I should be able to start amassing zetas like the other ability mats.
  • Yeah, farming them is out unless you want to buy the Citadel pack. According to the new tophat guy - they'll be in rotation in a few months and by that time, there will be new toons to chase after. All about patience.

I'm in the same boat with the ships challenge but because RNG is my best friend, it will be next year until I can get the ships I need unlocked. But watch out though - I'll be having a maxed out Biggs X-Wing or JC starfighter in no time...
  • If you're going up against Rebels, EP lead with Death Trooper is an amazing combo. As long as you're landing your DT debuffs, you attack pretty much non-stop and can basically stun the entire enemy team.
  • Those who have faced him, what does Deathtrooper use to open? I'm considering him as the fifth member of a Zader squad also having TFP, Palpatine, and Shoretrooper. Staggered AoE turn meter reduction sounds nice, but do I need to have a buffed enemy for DT to use his dispell? Thanks!
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Nothermike wrote: »
    Those who have faced him, what does Deathtrooper use to open?
    The only time I faced one he was the first to act (229 speed) and used his AOE ability.
    As it was Omega-ed (all enemies cooldowns + 1) it went all downhill for me from there.

• I only have mine at 3* G10(46K health+protection)and I swapped him out for B2. I just found that I have toons that does what he does but better. I run a
    zVader with Boba, TFP,EP, and now B2.

Give me B2 everyday over him for debuffs.
    His deathmark does work well but someone has to be dead first. Not to mention I already have toons that can deal big damage.
    His basic is weak and it can be good against rebels but I'm finding them less and less in the top 10. There is his daze but I have EP's shock.

If I ever run Krennic then I would put him in but for now on my current Empire team, he is by far my weakest link.

• He's one of those toons that sounds fantastic if everything goes well for you.

But, that's usually not the case. Daze is only 70% chance and can be resisted, which often happens when you need it the most. His basic other than that is mega weak for an attacker. As has been stated he has to survive long enough for an enemy to be killed to benefit from deathmark.

I would say I feel bad for people who spent a ton of cash 7*ing him but I'd be lying.
  • Simple answer... the downside is his shards cost 2999 crystals for 4. Nuff said!
  • There really isn't a down side to him. I can't really understand why there are not more of him. I take 1st everyday with him in my squad with EP or zader (L), TFP and shore. His grenade is the single best ability in game and he absolutely stomps on TM pains like b-2 Biggs or Anakin. No idea why he isn't all the rage. He will probably catch on as people realize their mistake.
  • Olddumper wrote: »
    There really isn't a down side to him. I can't really understand why there are not more of him. I take 1st everyday with him in my squad with EP or zader (L), TFP and shore. His grenade is the single best ability in game and he absolutely stomps on TM pains like b-2 Biggs or Anakin. No idea why he isn't all the rage. He will probably catch on as people realize their mistake.

shhhh
    ;)