Has KOTOR / KOTOR 2 aged well?

So, 15 years ago when KOTOR came out, I was too busy playing Command & Conquer Generals to pay it any attention, but now that Nihilus is bringing out the nostalgia in everyone else, I want your opinions: does KOTOR and its sequel hold up as enjoyable games today? Is it worth the time/effort to enjoy some now-defunct star wars story? How much time does playing the game take, anyway? Is this a game you have to invest major time into to enjoy?

looks like both games go for 10$ each in the Steam store. Either one worth it for someone who played neither one when it came out?

Replies

• If you like deep rpgs and can get past outdated graphics, those games are still a lot of fun
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    I can't get Kotor to work on my laptop. Looked at the suggestions for compatibility mode, and disabling some features in the config file, and no success.

Works on my desktop, but not my laptop. :(

I purchased the big star wars pack on steam during one of the sales a while ago. Very much worth it.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    They hold up great imo. Would recommend over many other modern games
  • Just started playing them again. They definitely hold up. There's a humble bundle right now; pay what you want and get a ton of classic SW games.
  • OldDakaNewBarber
    233 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Ooooh! Thanks for the heads up, I might have to jump on that bundle. I just finished replaying goldeneye on N64, so my tolerance for outdated graphics is quite high right now.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Oh man. That goldeneye frame rate. You'll be in heaven with kotor by comparison
  • there is a mod in the works for KOTOR I that will update graphics and add levels/maps via upgrade and conversion to Unreal Engine 4. Its called APERION. its going to be free and its only a small group of programmers working on it, but the alpha looks very promising even though its taking forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYRmeWtES5o
  • Ooooh! Thanks for the heads up, I might have to jump on that bundle. I just finished replaying goldeneye on N64, so my tolerance for outdated graphics is quite high right now.

The bundle also includes Shadows of the Empire, which I hadn't played since N64 was new...
    The KOTOR graphics are far better in comparison.
  • i bought kotor on my ipad & a[part from swoop racing it is still cool.
    Lost in the 20th century
  • i bought kotor on my ipad & a[part from swoop racing it is still cool.

I remembered swoop racing being way harder the first time...
  • its the controls that make swoop racing hard especially the mission where you have to beat it 3 times to get the swoop racing guy.
    Can't remember what he is called now, sign of getting old lol.
    Lost in the 20th century
  • Carbonari wrote: »
    The bundle also includes Shadows of the Empire, which I hadn't played since N64 was new...
    The KOTOR graphics are far better in comparison.
    I also never played Shadows of the Empire. I read the book, so i figured teh game would be repetitive. Sounds like this bundle is gonna be good for me :)
  • Shadows isn't the best Star Wars game I've played but definitely has some nostalgia value.

The real gems are the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Excellent, excellent games.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • I don't know about "aged well" but so far to this day, KOTOR is the only STAR WARS game and one of the few games ever that has the story quality of a great movie story. it gets slow about 3/4's in but once you get to the last quarter you just get blown away if you haven't already spoiled it for yourself. even the puzzle games were fun.

back when it came out I smoked and I remember having to pause the game dumbfounded and having to smoke like 2 or 3 cigs while just rolling over everything I had just learned and trying to recall the first half of the game and connect the dots and was just amazed at how it all fit together and I had no clue. not to mention it introduces the Shan family and Revan.

as someone already mentioned, pod racing, meh. KOTOR 2? meh. never heard enough hype and never read a review that sounded more than average so after KOTOR why bother with a let down follow up?

FYI, save, save, save, make save points often.