Suggestion: Silence Effect

I have been casting around for ideas of new status effects that aren't already in the game, and it's hard. Almost everything I can think of has already been implemented, and everything else is extremely unbalanced (particularly damage reflection). I did, however, come up with an idea similar to ability block:

Silence would stop the affected character from using any and all of their passive effects for the duration of the silence. That includes not only leader abilities, but also. unique abilities. It sounds pretty nieche, but it would actually be really useful. Dooku's 100% counter ability is a unique. Kylo only resets his cool downs because of his unique. Sid and Lumi dodge so much because of their unique and leadership abilities, respectively. Poe recieves bonus tenacity and a heal due to his unique, and the list goes on and on.

This would be quite powerful in the right circumstances, but not overwhelmingly OP. The optimal duration would be 1-2 turns and it definitely should always be applied by a single-target attack or a low probability AoE.

Thoughts?

Replies

• perm silencing Phasma to cripple a team built around his leadership ability? I'm down
  • Great idea IMO, but would be a hard thing to impliment and balance.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    perm silencing Phasma to cripple a team built around his leadership ability? I'm down
    *her* :)
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Anubis wrote: »
    I have been casting around for ideas of new status effects that aren't already in the game, and it's hard. Almost everything I can think of has already been implemented, and everything else is extremely unbalanced (particularly damage reflection). I did, however, come up with an idea similar to ability block:

Silence would stop the affected character from using any and all of their passive effects for the duration of the silence. That includes not only leader abilities, but also. unique abilities. It sounds pretty nieche, but it would actually be really useful. Dooku's 100% counter ability is a unique. Kylo only resets his cool downs because of his unique. Sid and Lumi dodge so much because of their unique and leadership abilities, respectively. Poe recieves bonus tenacity and a heal due to his unique, and the list goes on and on.

This would be quite powerful in the right circumstances, but not overwhelmingly OP. The optimal duration would be 1-2 turns and it definitely should always be applied by a single-target attack or a low probability AoE.

Thoughts?

Good idea. but the game is at the stage where they need to fix bugs and broke characters. with a small Dev team, I don't want them to introduce new things now.
  • Way too difficult to create right now. They are still fixing leader abilities now, they don't need more complications.

Sounds good though.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Sounds OP to me (lol)
  • Silencing leader abilities sounds,like a bad idea to me and to confusing for people. I can see the proc chance topics flying around because people have to consider silencing as well. Not much adjustment is needed to the core stuff imo.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Abyss wrote: »
    Sounds OP to me (lol)
    I thought about this for a very long time, and I don't think so. The kind of character I envision is a utility type with mediocre other stats. Single-target (physical) base attack with a chance to apply defensive down, single-target (special) special attack with a chance to apply silence, and some kind of unique based on a faction synergy (this is just one example). Debuffs would imply the dark side (Nightsisters?), although you could also make it an Ewok or a new faction.

CronozNL wrote: »
    Silencing leader abilities sounds,like a bad idea to me and to confusing for people. I can see the proc chance topics flying around because people have to consider silencing as well. Not much adjustment is needed to the core stuff imo.
    It will definitely be confusing, but certainly no more so than the quirks of heal immunity, advantage, or expose. As for messing with leader abilities, I think it would add more depth to the game and encourage building teams around more than just one character. Plus, you could always just focus down the silencer.
  • xJazzx wrote: »
    Good idea. but the game is at the stage where they need to fix bugs and broke characters. with a small Dev team, I don't want them to introduce new things now.
    Good point, although the next update is said to contain over 70 bug fixes, so hopefully we can soon get back to adding more content.
  • Instead of Silence, it should be called Break. #Dota2