Counter to Speed?

Title may be a bit confusing. What I'm really curious about is, what squad has the least reliance on speed? Obviously, the only way to get near the top of the leader board is to have high speed on your mods/toons. My goal is to hold the top 50.

So with that in mind, what would be a good squad combination. I'm starting to collect GK shards now, but that's a ways off. This is especially significant to me as I will be able to craft my first Zeta this week (one Zeta mat away...).

Here's my collection. https://swgoh.gg/u/evanbio/collection/ I run Wedge Lead, Biggs, Lando, StH, and QGJ currently. I can get into top 50, but holding has become more difficult.

I figure the first step is to get an autotaunt running. That would absorb some of the initial blast and help counter SOME of the speed discrepancy. Are there any other toons that would hold up well against higher speed mods? Hopefully F2P (ie, not chromium)?

Thanks!
Evan

Replies

• Noktarn
    401 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Rex lead, Baze/Chirruit, Kenobi are the best answers. Anything "reactive". Also all toons you DON'T have =p

Droids + JE used to be the FTP way to climb. You can run JE droids with slow speed mods since JE boosts to first turn... but that has fallen off the meta.
  • Options
    Squads that have a lot of counter attackers do well to defeat fast enemies.
  • Options
    Chars with stun abilities are also great with fighting fast chars
  • Options
    zaul stealth/dodge meta
  • Options
    Teams that gain turn meter for hitting (e.g. droids from crits / resistance from damaging exposed enemies)

Teams that gain turn meter for being hit (e.g. Rex teams), and counter teams (in theory they gain 100% tm after they were hit), and certain chars e.g. biggs, anakin, magmatrooper baze/chirrut..

Teams that remove tm from the opposing team (e.g. zader and empire/sith)

Teams that start with bonus TM (e.g. zmaul and siths)

• Options
    Anybody that gives you tm gain as leader. Rex is pretty good. Zaul will give sith 20% tm at the start of the game. Speed is important but it isn't the be all, end all. Additionally, an auto taunter like Baze or Shore can help slow down those teams.
  • Options
    Rex.
    You'd think wedge is the best lead for rebels?
    You'd think hk is the best lead for droids?
    Wrong.
    Rex is a better lead for both teams(in the arena).
  • Options
    Rex is a great leader as many others have said, his TM gain for the squad from crit damage is really good. Baze and Chirrut are also good at slowing people down, though Boba Fett is a big-time "Achilles Heal" for them. B2 gets lot of turn-meter from squad members getting hit and goes frequently, his dispel is available very often and is very good at disrupting many different strategies. Darth Maul squads are fast the first turn, but if Darth Maul is a large part of your server's meta, you're still subjected to your speed secondaries versus the other squad's speed secondaries, so Rex might be your best bet for a leader. I'm also theorizing that Kylo Ren with zeta could be good at this because he punishes people that hit him and he regen's protection rapidly.
  • Options
    Droids with HK lead + JE. My 2nd account arena squad is HK, 88, 86, B2, JE. They're all really slow except JE, but it doesn't matter. My JE has a base speed of 201, which isn't great, but his unique gives him +10 for every droid ally, so it's effectively 241. I haven't come across anyone on that shard yet who is faster (but it's a fairly young shard). So he goes first and uses his recalibrate ability, which gives all droids 45% turn meter. So they all go next.

Then you have HK's lead, which gives all droids +30% crit chance and 50% turn meter gain on critical hit. So the droids almost always crit and they get 50% TM every time. On top of that, HK, B2, and 88's special attacks are AoE, so if they crit on two or more enemies, they get 100% TM and attack again immediately.

My speeds are 88-136, 86-133, B2-105, and HK-101. Doesn't matter, they always get crazy turns. Droids are definitely not the meta and even if they were maxed, I probably wouldn't be able to get into the top 10 in that shard, but they're fun and it's nice to play with a team that isn't Wiggsdo or Empire/Sith.