Mixed feelings about Nihilus in zVader team

Just wanted to share my experience with nihilus so far...
So I got mine 3* gear 10 today, he sits at a speed of 179. My arena comp is Zader shore TFP Boba swgoh.gg/u/okonomiyakiparty/
Currently rank 8 in arena before my payout.
So I decided to replace Palpatine for nihilus by having mixed feelings because :
- he is terribly slow
- His first special is very cool but by the time he can use annihilate the game is already decided...
- He hits for 8k on basic...not so bad !
- He has high hp and prot
- The unique is close to useless... Adding one dot changes nothing for my zader

He would probably be a better fit in a zMaul squad.
Am I missing something or I just invested in a not so good toon ? :/

Replies

• Your name just reminded me that I haven't cooked okonomiyaki in too long.

I almost have him geared up...he doesn't seem to be a replacement for Palp on that team. I've seen him under Maul leads at the top of arena, so he's doing something right. Just have to find where he fits in.
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Just wanted to share my experience with nihilus so far...
    So I got mine 3* gear 10 today, he sits at a speed of 179. My arena comp is Zader shore TFP Boba swgoh.gg/u/okonomiyakiparty/
    Currently rank 8 in arena before my payout.
    So I decided to replace Palpatine for nihilus by having mixed feelings because :
    - he is terribly slow
    - His first special is very cool but by the time he can use annihilate the game is already decided...
    - He hits for 8k on basic...not so bad !
    - He has high hp and prot
    - The unique is close to useless... Adding one dot changes nothing for my zader

He would probably be a better fit in a zMaul squad.
    Am I missing something or I just invested in a not so good toon ? :/
    1) make him faster
    2) true, unless you use him on a low damage control team like I do, by which timing annihilate correctly is crucial
    3) yep, he hits quite well
    4) This is a big benefit to him, if you can protect him with tanks, he isn't going down
    5) Again, depends on the team. An extra debuff here and there on characters that aren't debuffed helps his AOE greatly.
    I love using nihilus, but the team I have him in is centered entirely around him and boba doing huge knock outs and controlling the battle. He can be really good in the right team, and zader probably isn't that, as you've discovered.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/
    Edit: btw it's worth mentioning I'm on a November 2015 shard and can beat everything on offence with that team comfortably, and I don't drop out of the top 5.
  • Carbonari wrote: »
    Your name just reminded me that I haven't cooked okonomiyaki in too long.
    Yummy :smile:

Maybe I should consider removing shore and putting palpatine instead... But that sounds risky !
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    He is probably better under his own lead or a maul zeta lead. His dot isn't really about doing damage it's more for his force drain to help reduce the cool down of annihilate. Say your vader goes first and you use force crush and it only sticks to 4 out of the 5, Nihilus unique will automatically target the one that didnt get hit giving him 5 off the cool down instead of 4 (if it lands that is). Being that he's only 3* I'd say palp is much better in a Vader zeta squad but I do think Nihilus will have his place in certain teams.
  • I honestly think he is not good for an arena team. A Sith team, with EP, DS, and no crits? The fight will drag on too long. I benched mine pending further results from others. He seems like a gimmic to me.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Have you tried replacing Boba with NIhilus rather than replacing EP? I felt he would be really strong against tankier teams particularly the Shore/Baze teams. I don't think he's useful enough against teams without taunting tanks.

Obviously if pulling Boba means you lose the ability block speed wars that make up most of the top shards then I'd keep him or just alternate based on what you're up against.
  • 1) make him faster
    2) true, unless you use him on a low damage control team like I do, by which timing annihilate correctly is crucial
    3) yep, he hits quite well
    4) This is a big benefit to him, if you can protect him with tanks, he isn't going down
    5) Again, depends on the team. An extra debuff here and there on characters that aren't debuffed helps his AOE greatly.
    I love using nihilus, but the team I have him in is centered entirely around him and boba doing huge knock outs and controlling the battle. He can be really good in the right team, and zader probably isn't that, as you've discovered.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/

Thanks for the input ! If only I had your mods lol ! Very nice team of yours, indeed !

• SlyGambit wrote: »
    Obviously if pulling Boba means you lose the ability block speed wars that make up most of the top shards then I'd keep him or just alternate based on what you're up against.

This is exactly the kind of wars I face everyday... Basically the one with the fastest Boba wins... That's so lame !
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    SikrouDeco wrote: »
    I honestly think he is not good for an arena team. A Sith team, with EP, DS, and no crits? The fight will drag on too long. I benched mine pending further results from others. He seems like a gimmic to me.

Imo he's more of a counter to zeta barris, gk and anyone else that gets buffs from being criticality hit, if modded right the offense boost under his leader will still do a lot of damage without crits.
  • SirLoki
    73 posts Member
    I just posted a few videos of zader lead nihilus . Just gotta have the right pieces in the team. Works the best on my shard to exploit the TMR and dots then let nihilus drain and annihilate

https://youtu.be/85frMo1f9dI
    https://youtu.be/QscxJpZAuUg
    https://youtu.be/Dn70zNMy9HY