Most overrated Star Wars characters

Prev1
DatBoi
3615 posts Member
These are the characters I think get way too much hype, usually because they have no personality or have nothing to do (I don't care if they did something in some book, I'm talking about the movies)

Darth Maul (until Clone Wars when he serves a purpose and has a character)
Boba Fett
Phasma (I know many people dont like her, but she was really overhyped before TFA was released)
General Grievous
Mace Windu (I like him in the microseries, but he has no personality in the movies)
Qui-gon (has no personality)
Padmé (when she has a personality, she's terribly inconsistent)
Literally everyone from Rogue One (except maybe K2)

Feel free to start debates, just know that I will engage with gusto. Also, I might edit this to add characters I forgot (because they're forgettable, get it?)

Replies

• Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Overrated by strength in movies/tv:
    Boba, boba and boba.

He just fails.
    Also Kylo.

That's why I think they didn't deserve buffs.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Boba Fett is hands-down the most over-hyped character in all of Star Wars. Doesn't mean he isn't one of the coolest-looking characters, and the mystery behind him ("No disintegrations!") is part of the allure, but he definitely doesn't do much (in the movies).
    If it weren't for Fett though, we wouldn't have had Mandalorians.

• Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Carbonari wrote: »
    Boba Fett is hands-down the most over-hyped character in all of Star Wars. Doesn't mean he isn't one of the coolest-looking characters, and the mystery behind him ("No disintegrations!") is part of the allure, but he definitely doesn't do much (in the movies).

How come we wouldn't have had mandolorians? Didn't jango copy the mandolorians?
  • Supercat wrote: »
    Boba Fett is hands-down the most over-hyped character in all of Star Wars. Doesn't mean he isn't one of the coolest-looking characters, and the mystery behind him ("No disintegrations!") is part of the allure, but he definitely doesn't do much (in the movies).

How come we wouldn't have had mandolorians? Didn't jango copy the mandolorians?

"The Empire Strikes Back" 1980, first appearance of Boba Fett's Mandalorian Armor

"Attack of the Clones" 2002, first appearance of Jango Fett.

The popularity of Boba Fett led to the EU Mandalorian lore.

Fun fact: the Mandalorians were originally "Super Troopers" who were exceptionally trained to kill Jedi, and had weapons built into their armor to mimic Jedi powers. Now where have I seen that lately?
  • Boba got sure.

About Qui-Gon Jin not having personality, I agree but why is he considered overrated excluding this game? Also, he did have personality, just not in the Phantom Menace.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boba got sure.

About Qui-Gon Jin not having personality, I agree but why is he considered overrated excluding this game? Also, he did have personality, just not in the Phantom Menace.

I think a lot of star wars geeks love qui-gon for no reason other than "HE'S AWESOME!" even though he doesn't really do or say anything interesting
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Boba got sure.

I think a lot of star wars geeks love qui-gon for no reason other than "HE'S AWESOME!" even though he doesn't really do or say anything interesting

Do you really need another reason to love a character? Although I can see people being biased for him just because he's Liam Neeson.
  • Super agree on Mace, Boba, and Phasma.
    Mace is my most disliked characters as well followed closely by Kylo.

Mace was too much of an a $ $ for me. Very arrogant and embodied the problems with the Jedi order.

As for Kylo, I was not a fan of a wealthy privileged child being the villain. His parents are well known and powerful figures in the universe and his uncle is a BAMF Jedi... ohhh the pressure to live up to their legacy, blah blah blah... lame! The last thing I want is a spoiled attention needing diva for a villain.

Phasma had an amazing costume design, and that's about it. Could have used more screen time and some more menacing scenes and or dialogue. She never felt like a threat to me.

I disagree with you on QGJ.
    His perspective of the force and the Jedi order most closely aligns to mine. He is one of few Jedi willing to bend the rules to avoid the pitfalls of their creed. The same pitfalls that contributed to Anakin's fall to the dark side. He is my favorite Jedi, just wish we got more story about him. I would have loved to see a QGJ, Obi Wan movie or trilogy.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Super agree on Mace, Boba, and Phasma.

Mace was too much of an a $ $ for me. Very arrogant and embodied the problems with the Jedi order.

As for Kylo, I was not a fan of a wealthy privileged child being the villain. His parents are well known and powerful figures in the universe and his uncle is a BAMF Jedi... ohhh the pressure to live up to their legacy, blah blah blah... lame! The last thing I want is a spoiled attention needing diva for a villain.

Phasma had an amazing costume design, and that's about it. Could have used more screen time and some more menacing scenes and or dialogue. She never felt like a threat to me.

His perspective of the force and the Jedi order most closely aligns to mine. He is one of few Jedi willing to bend the rules to avoid the pitfalls of their creed. The same pitfalls that contributed to Anakin's fall to the dark side. He is my favorite Jedi, just wish we got more story about him. I would have loved to see a QGJ, Obi Wan movie or trilogy.

I think that the way we judge and evaluate characters is very different (your's isn't necessarily bad, just different). If I think a character is "good" its because I think they have a consistently written personality, their actions reflect that personality, and they are engaging to the audience, regardless of their knowledge of star wars. I do not care what their significance is in the saga, I don't care who they're related to, and I don't care if their character requires outside material to be interesting.

For example, I think Kylo Ren is one of the best villains Star Wars has ever had. His struggle with his self identity is clear and consistently portrayed through his dialogue and actions, we know what motivates him, we know what his insecurities are, and personally, hes the first Star Wars villain I've felt any fear of. His irrationality and internal struggle makes him erratic, violent, and unpredictable, and we've never seen a Star Wars character effectively portrayed like that. I don't think that him being a "spoiled brat" or "whiny" doesn't make him any less of an engaging character. If anything, its the opposite because at least he has a personality. Some of the most effective characters ever written are whiny brats (Joffrey Baratheon from Game of Thrones, Azula or Zuko from Avatar, Alex from Clockwork Orange, Biff from Back to the Future, etc), just because a character is unlikable doesn't mean they're a bad or poorly written one. We love to hate these characters because they seem real.

If Qui-Gon and Mace have differing opinions on the role of Jedi in the Republic, then I'd love to see that. I'd love to see scenes of them have passionate debates where we see some actual personality from the two of them. I don't care what their opinions are, just that they're expressed and are consistent with their personality. You say that Qui-Gon willingly bends the rules of the Jedi, but when he isn't being a huge @$$hole (tricking the leader of an entire race to enter a war that doesn't affect them, not saving anakin's mother even though he was willing to cheat to get anakin, ignores the will of the council to train anakin even though there was a CLEAR connection to the dark side, basically forcing Obi-Wan to take on a padawan even though he hadn't finished his own training, etc) he's spouting off midichlorian garbage. With Mace, he simply repeats whatever Yoda says or straight lies by saying, "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers" then leading an entire army on geonosis and starting a galactic war. Its fine if these characters make bad decisions, but they should at least be given personalities that justify those decisions.
  • Super agree on Mace, Boba, and Phasma.

This^^^

Especially Kylo
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    I'm not sure I understand this thread?

Being overrated and defining a characters personality don't really mean the same thing imo.

If we are going by who I think is overrated:
    - Boba Fett

If we are going by who I think has the least (boring, one-dimensional) personality:
    - Count Dooku

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Mullato wrote: »

Being overrated and defining a characters personality don't really mean the same thing imo.

- Boba Fett

If we are going by who I think has the least (boring, one-dimensional) personality:
    - Count Dooku

This is for characters who you think get way too much positive attention even though they arent good characters.

Edit: for example, dooku doesnt have much character, but do you think he gets undeserved praise? If so, then he would be overrated
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

- Boba Fett

- Count Dooku

This is for characters who you think get way too much positive attention even though they arent good characters.

Edit: for example, dooku doesnt have much character, but do you think he gets undeserved praise? If so, then he would be overrated

Oh OK, I understand now.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member

- Boba Fett

- Count Dooku

Ooh. Character, not power.

Dooku was a hasty write in because the original plan was Jar Jar, that is why he is so one dimensional.

Favorite QGJ quotes (use them in order):
    "Are you brainless?"
    After they say 'no':
    "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Supercat wrote: »

- Boba Fett

- Count Dooku

Ooh. Character, not power.

Dooku was a hasty write in because the original plan was Jar Jar, that is why he is so one dimensional.

Favorite QGJ quotes (use them in order):
    "Are you brainless?"
    After they say 'no':
    "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Haha yeah, I liked QGJ's character tbh. He came off as

- Smart/Wise: Straight-up found the chosen one, was full of knowledge about the force, quick to solutions

- Strong: Trained obi-wan, master of many force techniques, was the first we seen to learn of transcending in the force after-life

- Rebellious: Didn't exactly agree with the Jedi council, gambling like an OG, was always on go (Everytime him and maul seen each other, they didn't need any words, it was just go on sight.)

- Humorous side: Enjoyed the bright side of things, had a few wise-crack jokes.

He was pretty cool imo.
  • Boba Fett! He just looked cool and did nothing except get stooged to death by a blind man. Best bounty hunter indeed.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited March 2017

Sorry gonna rant here...but that last part...about no mandalorians?

So like 10,000+ (correct me if im wrong) years b4 a new hope...

Ok so lets remember that corusant used to be the home world to a race of aliens called mandalorians, these people were invaded and overrun and cast off there home world by the "republic" this lead to an ongoing ceaseless war with the race of mandalorians who absorbed any and all races and eventually transcended the race of mandalorians to become a new creed, a way of life, a title earned. Mandalorians were reborn, and ultimately made by the republic.

Just as the title of jedi or sith has no race or restriction, so the mandalorians are the same...

Over the millenniums the mandalorians sided with and fought against both jedi and sith in the single-purpose of destroying the republic.

So to say that "if it wasnt for fett we wouldn't have mandalorians" is like saying if it wasnt for justin bieber we wouldnt have music.

Fett is cool, but the mandalorians of old are where its at...crushing jedi and sith alike with no force abilities, simply there sheer will and resolve. I still fail to understand why mandalorians are so back of the bus.

Jedi feared them...
    Sith feared them...
    The republic most certainly feared them...

And worst of all, they transcended there species into an idea, and an idea can't be killed.

Pretty flipping hardcore.

So yeah boba is definitely hyped...but definitely has alot to live up too...and his story isnt finished yet now that disney is changing things.

I just hope the mandalorians story doesnt change with it.
  • Loose_Lee wrote: »

Sorry gonna rant here...but that last part...about no mandalorians?

So like 10,000+ years b4 a new hope...

Ok so lets remember that corusant used to be the home world to a race of aliens called mandalorians, these people were invaded and overrun and cast off there home world by the "republic" this lead to an ongoing ceaseless war with the race of mandalorians who absorbed any and all races and eventually transcended the race of mandalorians to become a new creed, a way of life, a title earned. Mandalorians were reborn, and ultimately made by the republic.

Just as the title of jedi or sith has no race or restriction, so the mandalorians are the same...

Over the millenniums the mandalorians sided with and fought against both jedi and sith in the single-purpose of destroying the republic.

So to say that "if it wasnt for fett we wouldn't have mandalorians" is like saying if it wasnt for justin bieber we wouldnt have music.

Fett is cool, but the mandalorians of old are where its at...crushing jedi and sith alike with no force abilities, simply there sheer will and resolve. I still fail to understand why mandalorians are so back of the bus.

Jedi feared them...
    Sith feared them...
    The republic most certainly feared them...

And worst of all, they transcended there species into an idea, and an idea can't be killed.

Pretty flipping hardcore.

So yeah boba is definitely hyped...but definitely has alot to live up too...and his story isnt finished yet now that disney is changing things.

I just hope the mandalorians story doesnt change with it.

I'm aware.

Let me say it again:

In the real world we all live in, not in the continuity, the characters of the Mandalorians would not exist in the form you mentioned without Boba Fett.

Other than the original Ralph McQuarrie character designs and some brief mentions in the early drafts, Mandalorians did not exist until 1982, when Boba Fett was introduced. Before that they were basically storm troopers.

Everything you are talking about came after "The Empire Strikes Back."

It was the popularity of Boba Fett that let to all of the mythology you mentioned.

So I repeat: without Boba Fett you would not have had Mandalorians.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Without orange kool-aid george lucas wouldnt have wrote star wars....aka butterfly effect...

I get what your saying dude...i understand where your coming from. But yes i think that has alot to do with why boba fett is so wussy...
  • Lobot is way overhyped (has no personality)
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Lobot is way overhyped (has no personality)
    Isn't Lobot that useless character working with Lando in the Empire Strikes back that doesn't do anything?

And, Grievous, I would agree that he is overrated in the movies, although he plays an integral roll in the clone wars series, and is a badass, although a cowardly one.

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Mzee wrote: »
    Isn't Lobot that useless character working with Lando in the Empire Strikes back that doesn't do anything?

And, Grievous, I would agree that he is overrated in the movies, although he plays an integral roll in the clone wars series, and is a badass, although a cowardly one.

The Clone Wars does a great job of cleaning up a lot of the garbage from the movies. Grievous, order 66, maul, character personalities, politics, effects of war, fall of jedi, friendship between obiwan and anakin, force ghosts and midichlorians (kinda), etc

I think a lot of the reason why people like the clone wars so much more than rebels is because rebels cant really improve on the OT. The OT is as good as its ever going to get so Rebels is at a disadvantage. If the show references its corresponding movies, it becomes "cheap fan service". The Clone Wars show made the prequels better by giving them much needed context. Notice how many more people like the prequels since Clone Wars.

I think im going to start a new thread about this.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    I liked prequel before I saw clone wars, the wars was just a bonus.
  • RancorPackGuild
    1363 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    The most higly anticipated and overhyped character of all time has to be...

BISTAN

Unless you play this game, chances are you won't know who he even is.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    The most higly anticipated and overhyped character of all time has to be...

BISTAN

Unless you play this game, chances are you won't know who he even is.

Lol...yeah RPG has a very very valid point.
  • Mzee wrote: »

Despite your response, you obviously don't know anything about Lobot. His role in the movies is equal to an ewok. My joke just went over your head is all. My jokes aren't for the masses, I'm used to it.
  • Lol I got it. They didn't even name him until the actor was on set in costume. PS Lobot is just a play on Lobotomy because the only thing they new about his backstory at the time was that a chunk of his brain was removed and replaced with cybernetics.

A ton of OT background characters are like that.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    SlabRankle wrote: »
    Lol I got it. They didn't even name him until the actor was on set in costume. PS Lobot is just a play on Lobotomy because the only thing they new about his backstory at the time was that a chunk of his brain was removed and replaced with cybernetics.

A ton of OT background characters are like that.
    But would you say that Lobot is overrated? Yeah, he doesn't have any character in the movie, but its not like he's a major character and people dont fanboy over him the way people do for other previously discussed characters.
  • Lando would disagree.