Coming back after more than a year... or not?

Prev1
I quitted the game in January 2016, and a couple of days ago I started again, to see how much it had changed.

There are some positive things. For example, the ships tutorial gave me Grand Moff Tarking, Admiral Ackbar, Mace Windows and a TIE pilot (not the same one I already had, so it must be new), and enough ships to at least start playing. I was also able to unlock Leia (one of my most desired toons back then) with some of the pvp coins I saved before leaving. I haven't tried guilds, because I don't want to join one if I'm not sure that I'm going to stay, but I'd like to test them.

Galactic Wars seem to be the same as always. My level 71 toons get paired with level 82+ teams who one-shot my best team before I even have the chance to restart. But that's normal, people have more than one year of advantage over me, I consider a good achievement reaching the last node. This would be the "not better, but not too worse either" part.

Now the worst part, the one that made me leave, seems intact, or even worse. And I'm talking about the endless farming. I still need 350 purple hyporyringes only for my 7 main toons, not counting all the ones I have at gear level VII! And 100 stuncuffs, more than 100 flamedroids (I didn't count those), more than 200 of something else, etc. How on Earth am I going to get all those gears?? Using all my daily energy, I get a maximum of 2 of only one of those gears, and I need hundreds of each!

Then, shards. I saw in the shop a toon that has an ability to instantly kill an enemy. Cool! Let's look what the shop says... "11xx crystals, 5 guaranteed shards with a possibility of up to 30". What? 11k crystals to unlock him? Then thousands and thousands more to star it up? No, thanks. I'll continue my road to give Dooku his last star, instead. But wait! I can't battle in the Cantina because now I need modifiers! After a year, people must have lots of max-level max-star modifiers, what do I do? Finish Dooku (I calculate a month or two to get all the shards, at the same time working for Qui-Gon-Jinn's last star, too), or try to get some gears? Why can't I do both things?

If someone can give me some advice, especially on the last two things (gears and what to do with cantina energy), I'd be very thankful. And if someone wants to lend me a temporary space on their guild, just to test how it works, then that would be very generous.

Replies

• Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    You will find it very hard to complete on all aspects of the game without Mods im afraid
  • Head to the guides section and search FTP guide and that should give you all the advice you need on what to focus on and who to farm and get.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Sounds like you just missed the event where everyone got a free 3* Nihilus. The packs are for those who want to drop $400 to 7* NOW, because he'll be farmable in 2-3 months.

Many in here will probably tell you to start over, but if you're a casual player, maybe you don't care about arena as much.

Gear will always be a grind, but that is greatly alleviated by guilds. There are many low-level casual guilds that aren't strict with rules if you think you might not be daily active right away.
  • Those are great advice. Thanks to all!
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    I feel your pain bro. I started when the game first came out in Nov of 2015, and then quit after Christmas that year. There were no guilds, no ships, no mods, level cap was 70 or 75, and the most meta thing in the game was the occasional rockstar who had actually unlocked Vader!

I recently came back around this past Christmas, and had a TON of catching up to do. My Nov 2015 shard runs zeta teams with around 45-50K power in the top 500. It's insane trying to catch up. But I am slowly making progress. I got frustrated last month and started spending cash. That was a mistake.

This month, I'm taking a different approach. I am only focused on what I can get done today, and then logging off. I actually have crystals starting to accumulate, and plenty of energy when I need it. I am still in a major credit slump because of how insanely expensive it is to level even one toon. But that's ok. I zero in on one toon at a time and farm and level it. Oh, and if you're not in a guild, get in one stat! Raids will help you immensely in farming the gear you need.

People like us cannot waste time thinking ahead about how far we have to go, unless we're willing to drop the house payments on this silly game.
  • McBee wrote: »
    I feel your pain bro. I started when the game first came out in Nov of 2015, and then quit after Christmas that year. There were no guilds, no ships, no mods, level cap was 70 or 75, and the most meta thing in the game was the occasional rockstar who had actually unlocked Vader!

I recently came back around this past Christmas, and had a TON of catching up to do. My Nov 2015 shard runs zeta teams with around 45-50K power in the top 500. It's insane trying to catch up. But I am slowly making progress. I got frustrated last month and started spending cash. That was a mistake.

This month, I'm taking a different approach. I am only focused on what I can get done today, and then logging off. I actually have crystals starting to accumulate, and plenty of energy when I need it. I am still in a major credit slump because of how insanely expensive it is to level even one toon. But that's ok. I zero in on one toon at a time and farm and level it. Oh, and if you're not in a guild, get in one stat! Raids will help you immensely in farming the gear you need.

People like us cannot waste time thinking ahead about how far we have to go, unless we're willing to drop the house payments on this silly game.

@McBee hey I'm exactly like you in terms of playing and stopping and then coming back into the game. We might be in the same shard too. And yes the struggle is real. I'm lucky to be top 1000 during payout. No chance breaking in to top 500 with those level 85 power rating 40/45k maxed out teams
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Yep, top 1000 is pretty much my daily goal to get those 400 tokens. I'm usually in the top 800, but will be lucky if I ever break 500.
  • @McBee @EenerGwnok When I first came back I was in the same boat, then yesterday for the first time ever I cracked the top 100 in arena. It took months of grinding but it was well worth it
  • Check_It
    376 posts Member
    If you're interested in playing again after that long... I would honestly just start a new account. You'll be playing catch up for your whole life.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    I couldn't believe I saw a screenshot of a brand new shard the other day. The top 3 were in the level 50-60 range, mostly blue gear. And they still get the massive sweet payout we all dream of lol
  • @phatphil3 @McBee that's the goal right there. To be back in an ancient shard and be top 100. I look forward to the day where I'll be in the midst of 99 other TOP players in the shard.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    EenerGwnok wrote: »
    @phatphil3 @McBee that's the goal right there. To be back in an ancient shard and be top 100. I look forward to the day where I'll be in the midst of 99 other TOP players in the shard.

And if you're rocking the top 100 in a Nov 2015 shard, you know that you are one of the most elite players in the entire SWGOH universe. That's a pretty sweet distinction.
  • Check_It wrote: »
    If you're interested in playing again after that long... I would honestly just start a new account. You'll be playing catch up for your whole life.

I can't imagine starting over. Even more so that I can get palp at 7* in the next few days and if I were to start over, poof all hope is gone.
  • McBee wrote: »
    @phatphil3 @McBee that's the goal right there. To be back in an ancient shard and be top 100. I look forward to the day where I'll be in the midst of 99 other TOP players in the shard.

And if you're rocking the top 100 in a Nov 2015 shard, you know that you are one of the most elite players in the entire SWGOH universe. That's a pretty sweet distinction.

Yes it is my friend, yes it is.
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Check_It wrote: »

I can't imagine starting over. Even more so that I can get palp at 7* in the next few days and if I were to start over, poof all hope is gone.

The only adv of starting over is Arena.. if your happy never being able to seriously compete and willing to earn less crystals daily then no need to reroll
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    Check_It wrote: »

The only adv of starting over is Arena.. if your happy never being able to seriously compete and willing to earn less crystals daily then no need to reroll

Yeah I've sort of come to peace with that. It's something I have to live with for bailing on the game some time ago. Things are definitely not pleasant right now but with some grind and patience, I hope I'll be able to break TOP 100 on my shard someday. That's the goal.
  • It's just time and effort. Also knowing that sometimes you need to sacrifice rank in the short term for long term benefits. For example I ran Wiggs for a long time until I had a good enough Sith/Empire team to use. And I now my Wiggs is more powerful than when I ran them but I do better with my Sith/Empire team
  • Coming back is weird. I used to be good at this, and now I feel like a noob again.
  • Honestly, if I were that far behind, I would just uninstall. This game is frustrating enough without the nagging feeling of having to 'catchup'.
  • Your best option is to restart a new account. That way you are on a brand new shard with people starting new, like you. that would be my suggestion
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    As a comparison i remember EQ... at one point in the game i was arguably the strongest Ranger on my server.. i had thee best raid gear high end.. then i just couldnt do it anymore and left. On a whim i came back a year or so later and new expansions new gear made me obselete.. what was once high lvl raid items was bettered by random drops of normal grp mobs....

Games evolve and its so hard to keep up coming back to them

Note apologies for those with no mmorpg background and wondering what the hell im walking about
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    If you stare too far ahead in terms of gear it will just make you sad. Just focus on one full set of cuffs or stun gun at a time. We are all in the same boat.

Remember it's a marathon, not a race, so be patient and have fun.

Actually, it's a never ending marathon with occasions of mad sprints, infused with frustration and glorious gratification no matter where you leave off.

Good luck and welcome back.

rey-finds-luke-skywalker.gif
    Post edited by Winstar on
  • Did the same thing on a Dec 2015 shard and after 3 months I'm now sitting snuggly in the top 200 which is higher than I ever was before I left. You can get back into it if you do your research and focus on one character at a time. Also get yourself into an active guild that does raids, really helps with the gearing.

Good luck.
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    As a comparison i remember EQ... at one point in the game i was arguably the strongest Ranger on my server.. i had thee best raid gear high end.. then i just couldnt do it anymore and left. On a whim i came back a year or so later and new expansions new gear made me obselete.. what was once high lvl raid items was bettered by random drops of normal grp mobs....

Games evolve and its so hard to keep up coming back to them

Note apologies for those with no mmorpg background and wondering what the hell im walking about

I still log in on Runescape for a time or two. It's is crazy seeing the loyalist reaching skill mastery and still playing.
  • DarthBrobdignagian
    122 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I am about 2 weeks in and I have to admit its awesome being with a bunch of noobs. I get into the top 200 almost every day, win galactic war every day, do my 50/50 energy refills and I am sitting pretty with a bunch of 3,4, and even 5* toons in level 6 gear.

My only regret is joining literally a week too late to get Nihilus he is the only reason I cant crack 200.
  • I love Mace Windows.
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member
    I am about 2 weeks in and I have to admit its awesome being with a bunch of noobs. I get into the top 200 almost every day, win galactic war every day, do my 50/50 energy refills and I am sitting pretty with a bunch of 3,4, and even 5* toons in level 6 gear.

My only regret is joining literally a week too late to get Nihilus he is the only reason I cant crack 200.

he's not that great.
  • spotremix wrote: »

he's not that great.

Under level 50, with starter champs and even a halfway decent selection of dark siders, against a sidious maul savage dooku nihilus team, I promise you, hes more than great.
  • Javik
    246 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I quit* Now back on track, focus on one character at a time, do not keep chasing the meta unless you are willing to fork out money. Work on completing the light and dark side missions find a squad you like and work on it until you get them to gear 9 or 10ish. I had to learn a long time ago not to worry about chasing what everyone else has and enjoy what I am working on and see how it works. The arena is not the only thing that matters in this game.
  • spotremix wrote: »

he's not that great.

You're right, he's really great! Mines 3* and gear X (one piece away from XI though!)

http://m.imgur.com/cidRFiV