How to beat AoE teams?

Just wanted some discussion on how to beat AoE teams. My first thought is a counter attacking team but even with 3 or 4 countering simultaneously, it counters are usually coming from the squishy or soft hitting. What do you think?
☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi

Replies

• Options
    Can you give us more info on the kind of AoE teams you are seeing? Do they have Poe? Are you using Poe? In theory, having a tanky team with counter attackers backed by lumi should work great. But Poe changes everything.
  • Ello_Asty
    562 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm speaking in generalities here. Poe has nothing to do with it and I would prefer him to stay out of the discussion. Instead, think of it like this: You are using an AoE + Poggle team to defeat the Poe + glass cannon teams. What kind of team do you fear?
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options
    Healers and high HP attackers. Lumi, Bariss, JC all work as healers. Geo Soldier, IG-86, Luke can work as attackers.

Counters are great against low damage, debuff AOEs like Sids but against someone like Maul or 88 they die before they counter.
  • Options
    hmm.. Is Bariss really a wise choice against AOE teams? After all if your whole team is taking damage her heal isn't as impressive.
  • Harmonica
    541 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Counter team would be okay-ish against them, but weak against everyone else.

Lumi is the best counter to AOE in the game because of her heal that adds a two turn heal over time, plus she can silence and has decent damage.
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • Options
    Jedi counter team.

Ima gun leader
    Aayla
    Fisto
    Lumi
    JC, or qgj, or old Ben

NOT bariss. She would hurt more than help.
  • Options
    I'd probably fear a Poe+high DPS team killing my team before I can fire off my AOE attacks.
  • Options
    Adding in Lumi and Kylo is a great start. Heals counter AoE and Kylo will counter against AoE teams all the way. Toss in a good assist call like QGJ or GS and its GG
  • Options
    Anything with ability block would be worrisome, especially an area one such as Ben or Boba Fett. That one character could easily disrupt chained AoE, which is what most AoE teams rely on.
  • Options
    Much appreciated, I am enjoying this conversation much more than most of the posts around here. I prefer strategizing and thinking about different teams. Maybe on a weekly basis I'll start a post about countering certain synergies if there is interest?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    My stun team often does well against these sorts, but only if the RNG gods are with me.
    AoErs spread damage around, which screams "healing" as a counter. But right now damage is so overboard that it's hard to keep up.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    My stun team often does well against these sorts, but only if the RNG gods are with me.
    AoErs spread damage around, which screams "healing" as a counter. But right now damage is so overboard that it's hard to keep up.

What they can do is just enable crit healing rather than full-on damage nerf or hp buff. Your heals have a chance to crit with the same crit % of your special attacks/normal attacks.

Would love to see a Barriss crit team that heals around 2k per turn lol.
  • Options
    Barrise as leader, you survive aoe, get off one heal with her you win, single target did after the aoe mess. Whoever said not to use barrise is wrong.
    Also old Ben if you have him will lock out most aoe attacks.
    You can all go to hell, me... I'll go to Texas
  • Options
    Jedisplice wrote: »
    Barrise as leader, you survive aoe, get off one heal with her you win, single target did after the aoe mess. Whoever said not to use barrise is wrong.
    Also old Ben if you have him will lock out most aoe attacks.

Barriss is probably the worst healer choice vs aoe
  • Options
    Dooku (L): Your almost guaranteed to get dodges leading to offence up.

Lumi: Renders AOE useless (unless it's a hybrid team) due to inability to focus fire.

3 Single Target Damage Dealers: I would personally use Geo, Rey and Qui-Gon
  • Options
    Poe, Poggle, IG-88, Kylo, and Sid. I know you said you didn't want him mentioned, but his expose + turn removal dovetails very well with this sort of build. Even when his Tenacity and Expose are nerfed, he's still going to give you first strike, which is clutch.

First round - Poe taunt, Poggle buffs everyone with Offense Up, the rest of the team spams AOE like it's going out of style. If IG-88's Ability Block hits a juicy target like their healer or Poe, then it's 2 round GG every fight, assuming your Poe goes first.
  • Options
    So, your answer is to beat AoE by using AoE and hoping your Poe goes first? Now, how would you go about beating that very team you mentioned?
  • Options
    Ello_Asty wrote: »
    So, your answer is to beat AoE by using AoE and hoping your Poe goes first? Now, how would you go about beating that very team you mentioned?

:D
  • Options
    Poe, Poggle, IG-88, Kylo, and Sid. I know you said you didn't want him mentioned, but his expose + turn removal dovetails very well with this sort of build. Even when his Tenacity and Expose are nerfed, he's still going to give you first strike, which is clutch.

First round - Poe taunt, Poggle buffs everyone with Offense Up, the rest of the team spams AOE like it's going out of style. If IG-88's Ability Block hits a juicy target like their healer or Poe, then it's 2 round GG every fight, assuming your Poe goes first.

I use that team
    Climb rank from #50 to #5
    i can finish battle after poggle buff in 1 turn if Ig and kylo crit dâmge, sometime sid first attack , sometime Poe first.
    This world is not of those who have money , nor of those who have power !
  • Options
    HansOlo wrote: »
    Barriss is probably the worst healer choice vs aoe

I have no clue what you're talking about.

Bariss as lead gives your team more HP which allows it to absorb more AoE. You need to keep your other healers alive and she does that. Combined with Luminara they are able to essentially wipe out all of the damage done by AoE to your team by the end of the first round. If you don't have enough HP your team dies before they get healed. Which means you have lost your ability to counter sans Daka/WokElder.

I have a good AoE team and I know what kind of counters I have to avoid. Poe is the obvious biggest threat but Luminara is right behind with both Daka and Bariss not far behind her (Ewok Elder is likely there as well if anyone on my server string ever bothered to play him).

Luminara heals if her team has been AoE'd and ability blocks if her team hasn't been AoE'd yet which is why she's so potent. She can be wiped or blocked first round though which is why Bariss aside her makes them both more capable of countering.

It doesn't really matter much since AoE isn't very viable due to Poe and the first turn killers like Rey/FOTP/Geo/IG-86. If it ever came back into vogue you'd see healers find a return to the meta.

• Options
    Ello_Asty wrote: »

Yep. As for how to beat the team I mentioned, no clue. That example team, with maybe a Phasma or FOTP switched in, is what's 90% of my leaderboard right now.

Now, assuming that the Poe/fast dps meta were to shift, then I'd look towards a counterattack team. Something like Phasma(L) Dooku/Fives/Kylo/Lumi. Assuming you could keep Dooku alive long enough, you would have 3 counter-attacks going every AOE turn. There's no point in considering that team right now, though, which you should understand if you have ever gone up against the first comp I posted.
  • Options
    Ackbat or lobot to dispell heal. Hk47's special is aoe ability block with fast cooldown
  • Options
    There is 2 viable options that i would consider a counter to an aoe team. given we dont know which aoe characters are on the team.

1. get some counter in your team. dooku, kylo, fives are all farmable for F2P. I understand kylo must use his aoe to get counter for 1 turn and fives is not 100% counter chance. But say they have a low health pool aoe guy such as IG-88. he attacks slow, about the same time as kylo given there was no turn meter munipulation. So now 88 hits and dooku, kylo, fives all hit the counter. Well then 88 has a good chance of being dead if one of those guys crit... down side is, is that your team might be dead by the time 88 gets his turn to attack(expecially with offense up).

2, option 2 is possibly a little more reliable. I would suggest getting some fast hard hitters on your team such as geo soldier, qui gon, or even leia if u pay for her. They are all fast and attack before every aoe character except for sidious. But sidious's aoe alone will not kill anybody. Geo, and qui gon both have 1 shot potential with their ally assist moves against a low health pool character such as 88, jawa, dathcha, or even sidious if u dont use a jedi. I do run a poggle aoe team and 88 getting 1 turn to attack is VERY important. And many times geo, qui gon will 1 shot him right out of the gate and it really hurts my chances of winning even against the defense AI. Now leia uses her stealth move first on defense. but on offense you can just use her basic attack. and if shes maxed out i bet it would only take 2/3 of her hits to take out 88(this part is untested).

Hope this helps. ill check back later if you have questions.