Is a rex team viable?

Prev1
I'm close to a zeta, don't have maul even unlocked, and don't have confidence in Vader. Aside from a first order team, my leaderboard is full of zaul and Zader. I'm wondering if a rex led team can handle that. If so who would be ideal? Would Yoda be redundant or good insurance?
You guys had a riot? On account o' me? My very own riot?

Replies

• I have Rex and he makes Zader teams a joke (on offense anyways, he uses Subdue rather than squad discipline :(). So yes is your answer.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Rex can be good, but by himself I don't think he's enough of a counter. And Yoda isn't the best to go with him. I have success with Rex lead, Kenobi, Zarriss, and Boba. Then the last spot may vary depending on the opponent. Ani, B2, or EP usually. Kylo Ren would be a good 5th also if I had him.
  • Rex is a very good lead. And an all round great toon. I used to use boba lead wiggs EP and TFP. Broke top 50. Moved to Rex lead and instead of palp and Broke top10. Will drop TFP maybe for kenobi soon and hopefully I can get top 5 or 1. May even drop wiggs for kenobi and kylo instead

He is sooo effective against maul provided maul doesn't go first. And easy zader for breakfast
  • @SubzeeeDon what's the speed on your toons? Do you have a tank? I'm really considering switching to Rex lead. I'll have him at gear 11 tonight
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Depends on your shard. I use a Rex lead with Wiggs, Baze and General Kenobi to beat Zader teams with super fast TFPs or against teams with B2 on my shard but it's not great on defense.

My normal Arena team of zQGJ, zYoda (Battle Meditation), Aayla, General Kenobi and Palpy is great on offense and holds up on defense much better, even with a shard full of Zaul and Zader teams.

• nite0wl29 wrote: »
    @SubzeeeDon what's the speed on your toons? Do you have a tank? I'm really considering switching to Rex lead. I'll have him at gear 11 tonight

Atm I run grXI rex lead (212 speed or soemthing), gXI TFP (244), gXI boba (216) and wiggs gear X both below 170 speed.

So not Whaley mods at all. I plan on dropping wiggs for GK (who will be gXI at unlock in two weeks) and maybe kylo or palp.

Think you definetly will need a tank of some sorts in there. My only problems so far have been TFP ability blocking rex on the offset. When I put in GK it means I have another cleanser who can clear block of rex and also keep him protected. A tank is needed for sure

I'm on a Jan 15 shard btw
  • I have been considering rex for my team (throw out b2 or boba and use rex as lead) but atm rex speed is my issue. In my shard he is useless unless approx 225+ speed.

https://swgoh.gg/u/vessaharja/

• vessaharja wrote: »
    I have been considering rex for my team (throw out b2 or boba and use rex as lead) but atm rex speed is my issue. In my shard he is useless unless approx 225+ speed.

https://swgoh.gg/u/vessaharja/

Are you considering his tm gain? One aoe attack and mine has full tm
  • Yea I will run him as lead if and when I run him. Actually just gave him a shot and just beat a zaul team 5-0.
  • I was late on the zeta bandwagon so had to switch to Rex lead from Boba to compete w the zaders. Zauls and zQGJ. No Chaze or GK at that time. On offense I could easily grab first at payout but I'd drop like a rock on defense to 24th or so. Half the time I needed a refresh to make it to 1. ZQGJ were impossible so I had to leapfrog them.

Once I put in zaul, only been out of the top 10 once, to 12th so its hit-hit back to 1.
  • I go from 1 to 24 after payout and so do some zauls and zaders. Arena is just so poorly made.
  • Rex is the best lead to counter zVader and zMaul, so i would say yes. Right now the best overall lineup is probably
    Rex (L)
    GK
    Nihilus
    Chirrut
    Baze
  • I don't have rex, but rex teams do well against zaul... if you have rex, chaze, boba, b2 for instance...
    I guess rex, gk, bariss, 5s, zylo could be a pain too....
  • Rex is the current meta IMO. Don't need any zetas in the team to make him viable too.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/
  • My problem with using rex, is I don't have the standard support for him, no chaze or gk.

Do I have any sufficient backup for him?

https://swgoh.gg/u/heroofcanton/
  • You don't need any special support but a merely tank. He will still work. Ofc better in a GK chaze.
  • How are you guys modding him?
  • SubzeeeDon
    736 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    How are you guys modding him?

Well I've got mine to 75% tenacity but with the way it works ATM it's hit or miss. He tends to get rebuffed wuite often so if a fast TFP blocks him your screwed.
    Other then that mainly speed and protection to increase his life. Don't bother with damage too much as he's not the strongest hitter in the world

I have tenacity sets for the square, diamond, circle and arrow, with off, def, prot and speed primaries respectively. the cross is a tenacity primary and triangle protection primary. Total Speed around 212 which ain't the fastest but it does its job. tenacity at 75% or so. Some protection and crit chance and tenacity secodnaries
  • I use him as support on a Zader team. Gives an edge in the mirror match
  • How are you guys modding him?
    You can see my mods on each character on my swgoh.gg page. Speed is the big one.
  • I run Zex with Zeneral Zenobi, Znakin, Zoba Zetta, and Zives

Always nice to have two cleansers

Compensating for soemthing?

You still dislike zaul, zader etc? Is this your new approach to fight it? By overusing it?

I give you credit for effort.
  • Khaleesi1221
    152 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    SubzeeeDon wrote: »
    I run Zex with Zeneral Zenobi, Znakin, Zoba Zetta, and Zives

Compensating for soemthing?

Well, no one likes negative statis effects

Z-Rex and Zeneral Zenobi are great at dispelling them

Not sure you know what overcompsensting means, nor will you find out ;)

• vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I run Zex with Zeneral Zenobi, Znakin, Zoba Zetta, and Zives

How this possible? The only Filipinos in the game are Chirrut and Baze and only Chirrut is a cleaner...

• Is giving bariss a zeta a viable option for a rex team still?
  • Rex lead is the counter to zMaul, zVader, and Palpatine leads (in my opinion).

All those aoes end up critical hitting several people generating lots of TM under a Rex lead.

Further, he provides tenacity up blocking all the debuffs (which sith are all about). If debuffs do land, when Rex cleanses that generates even more TM.

Now, Rex won't cleanse zVader dots obviously. But zVader teams are typically slow, and Rex is fairly fast naturally. Plus if one of their characters goes first, chances are fairly high it will crit. So Rex should be able to get tenacity up on before Vader can dot (maybe not before sidious though).

Rex won't go before zMaul enemies, but after the first one goes, he probably got enough TM from the crits to go next. Then cleanse the debuffs and tenacity up to block the rest.

You will need a supporting cast around Rex, but he is absolutely a great option for leader in arena with all these sith running around. He counters them very well.
  • Goride wrote: »
    Rex lead is the counter to zMaul, zVader, and Palpatine leads (in my opinion).

All those aoes end up critical hitting several people generating lots of TM under a Rex lead.

Further, he provides tenacity up blocking all the debuffs (which sith are all about). If debuffs do land, when Rex cleanses that generates even more TM.

Now, Rex won't cleanse zVader dots obviously. But zVader teams are typically slow, and Rex is fairly fast naturally. Plus if one of their characters goes first, chances are fairly high it will crit. So Rex should be able to get tenacity up on before Vader can dot (maybe not before sidious though).

Rex won't go before zMaul enemies, but after the first one goes, he probably got enough TM from the crits to go next. Then cleanse the debuffs and tenacity up to block the rest.

You will need a supporting cast around Rex, but he is absolutely a great option for leader in arena with all these sith running around. He counters them very well.

+1
    Some of the brightest ideas are the hardest to see
  • A fast nilly will make rex look like the old crapshooter he is.
  • Rotor
    473 posts Member
    The problem with Rex is ...Boba, TFP and (Nihilus under ZMaul) lead are faster. Unless you get an AOE crit before any of these toons go you are going to loose a turn with Rex.

Also if they decide they can use a Nihilus lead no Crits, but loose 20% TM from zaul lead.