General Kenobi

Exletion
649 posts Member
edited March 2017
I don't want to instantly say GK is OP, but how are people really feeling about him right now? I encounter him quite often at the end of GW with amazing synergy with Bariss and 5s and it often takes a full two teams to wear him down before I send my fully maxed G11 Sith team to finish him off. He is beatable by attrition, but if I saw that team in arena, I assume he would be number 1 constantly. Am I way off base on this? If so, what would be the counter team to not allowing him to become the go-to meta.

Replies

• He is a good toon that works in all teams, but I would not say he is OP. Most Maul teams in top 10 arena don't include GK.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    He is so awesome he is sitting on my bench max gear waiting to promote to 6*
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    He is great!!
    That being said I dropped him today from my squad and now run full sith.
    Before I ran zaul/zooku/Zavage/ep/gk
    He gets gunned down and usually stunned/ability block therefore he sits there completly useless until he dies.
    Now with zaul/Zavage/zooku/sid/Nihilus the team is way better and everybody dodges!!
  • Jetlife wrote: »
    He is great!!
    That being said I dropped him today from my squad and now run full sith.
    Before I ran zaul/zooku/Zavage/ep/gk
    He gets gunned down and usually stunned/ability block therefore he sits there completly useless until he dies.
    Now with zaul/Zavage/zooku/sid/Nihilus the team is way better and everybody dodges!!

Interesting. I assume he is only as good as his support. Perhaps my expectations of him are greater because of the teams he is placed in. It does sound like he might not be the greatest benefit in a largely sith team.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    I have a gear 11, 6-star General Kenobi and he's the linchpin to my zQGJ team. His cleanse and Retribution special helps a lot against the current Sith meta and his Crit Immunity and foresight he spams to my team helps keep the Jedi alive longer.

With 80k Health & Protection he's my 3rd tankiest behind Sun Fac and Shoretrooper but I got him going at 220 speed (before QGJ's speed buff) so he's speedy as well.

I run him with zQGJ, zYoda, Aayla & Palpy and I can take out any pure Sith team with little problem.
  • He can plug into any team... But a 4 sith zaul lead team he isn't optimal. 3 sith fine. 4 sith no. It's his weakest team. Other than that scenario... He will improve any team pretty much.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    He is the single best toon of the game. My 7* GK at 247 speed just gives everyone Retribution and this is fun :).

I find Chaze much better on defense though, those two create an impenetrable wall of defense. No wonder, the best defense involves GK and Chaze.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    He is the single best toon of the game. My 7* GK at 247 speed just gives everyone Retribution and this is fun :).

I find Chaze much better on defense though, those two create an impenetrable wall of defense. No wonder, the best defense involves GK and Chaze.

Yeah, I'm working on Chaze now and thinking of running zQGJ, zYoda, GK and Chaze in the Arena to see how that works.
  • Neo2551 wrote: »

This is the team I have the most trouble with. Even my Sith team alone, more often then not, cannot defeat this, granted I have not Zeta'ed Maul yet so I am not sure if this would make a much larger significance; I usually have to fight the war of attrition to wear him down before I can defeat him
  • War
    932 posts Member
    It depends on the your definition of OP. Him being able to be inserted into any team regardless of it's synergy, can be seen as OP. As character though, he's only borderline in my opinion. He's beatable after all, just annoying to see him in every team comp these days.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Exletion wrote: »

This is the team I have the most trouble with. Even my Sith team alone, more often then not, cannot defeat this, granted I have not Zeta'ed Maul yet so I am not sure if this would make a much larger significance; I usually have to fight the war of attrition to wear him down before I can defeat him

With Zaul, Vader, Nihilus, EP, and STH I can beat the GK/Chaze/Zarriss/fifth combo fairly reliably. Baze's retribution is actually very nice for my TM gain. Nihilus can stop GK and Chirrut from cleansing so the only cleanse you need to worry about is Barriss, but she's usually pretty slow as long as she's dazed/shocked. It's still a tought team to face, but it can still be defeated reliably. I personally have more trouble with the Zaul, Baze, Nihilus, GK, EP team on my shard as their Nihilus and EP are a bit faster than mine are so I have trouble stopping GK and Baze from using their specials.
  • Vertigo wrote: »

With Zaul, Vader, Nihilus, EP, and STH I can beat the GK/Chaze/Zarriss/fifth combo fairly reliably. Baze's retribution is actually very nice for my TM gain. Nihilus can stop GK and Chirrut from cleansing so the only cleanse you need to worry about is Barriss, but she's usually pretty slow as long as she's dazed/shocked. It's still a tought team to face, but it can still be defeated reliably. I personally have more trouble with the Zaul, Baze, Nihilus, GK, EP team on my shard as their Nihilus and EP are a bit faster than mine are so I have trouble stopping GK and Baze from using their specials.

Appreciate the reply
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    I would think he would be tough on a Chaze team with Zarris, zQGJ or even EP/DN.

I've ran into him in GW and the toughest team I faced was him, Chaze, Zarris and Zylo.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    On the other hand, he is one of the most difficult toon to acquire as well.
  • Exletion wrote: »

Chaze and GK alone aren't a problem for Sith - but those 3 combined with a Rex leader the 3 cleansers and TM gain will beat zDM-led Sith comps more often than not. GK was pretty unanimous on my shard (Nov '15 day 1 hard launch - still very competitive) about 2 weeks ago, but the shifting meta to zDM and people bringing along updated heroes like zDooku / zSO / zKylo are pushing him out pretty quick. Just checked and 2 out of top 10 currently are running him.

What you need though, if you have g11 Sith, for that comp in GW and even in arena honestly can work vs. many GK / zBarriss- you want DN leader. Doesn't even need to be zeta. The no crit totally nerfs Barriss / GK taunt / heal skills and makes it a pretty easy comp to defeat since it's not super high damage - especially with weak hitting Barriss.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member

Chaze and GK alone aren't a problem for Sith - but those 3 combined with a Rex leader the 3 cleansers and TM gain will beat zDM-led Sith comps more often than not. GK was pretty unanimous on my shard (Nov '15 day 1 hard launch - still very competitive) about 2 weeks ago, but the shifting meta to zDM and people bringing along updated heroes like zDooku / zSO / zKylo are pushing him out pretty quick. Just checked and 2 out of top 10 currently are running him.

What you need though, if you have g11 Sith, for that comp in GW and even in arena honestly can work vs. many GK / zBarriss- you want DN leader. Doesn't even need to be zeta. The no crit totally nerfs Barriss / GK taunt / heal skills and makes it a pretty easy comp to defeat since it's not super high damage - especially with weak hitting Barriss.

Well, instead of Rex, if you have a Zeta'd Yoda you can add Foresight and Tenacity up every 4 turns with Battle Meditation.

Add that to GK and Chirrut's cleanse and its really hard for Sith teams to land debuffs and make them stick for very long. If you can get Foresight and Tenacity Up to protect GK long enough that he gets his Retribution up then Sith can be in big trouble when they attack with their AoEs. Then GK goes and calls all buffed allies to assist him against one target and you can almost take out an opposing toon after that move alone.

• KyloRey wrote: »

Well, instead of Rex, if you have a Zeta'd Yoda you can add Foresight and Tenacity up every 4 turns with Battle Meditation.

Add that to GK and Chirrut's cleanse and its really hard for Sith teams to land debuffs and make them stick for very long. If you can get Foresight and Tenacity Up to protect GK long enough that he gets his Retribution up then Sith can be in big trouble when they attack with their AoEs. Then GK goes and calls all buffed allies to assist him against one target and you can almost take out an opposing toon after that move alone.

Yep - ten up / cleanse combos are enemies of the Sith - agree.
  • "Chaze"
    What toon is that? I don't see it in my list!
  • "Chaze"
    What toon is that? I don't see it in my list!

It's just an easy abbreviation for Chirrut & Baze together on a team. It's kinda wonky but is shorter to type and most people know what it is.
  • Far from OP, he's balanced IMO.
  • Khaleesi1221
    152 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I have him on my arena team with Rex (lead), Ani, Bob, and Palpatine. He does his job well (not gonna be hitting like Maul), but I can beat anyone on my shard easily. Though everyone on my shard can beat beat my team easily, so he's good, but nothing too special

Edit: Defense may be better once I put a zeta on Barriss and take out Bob and Palpatine for her and CT-5555
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Far from OP, he's balanced IMO.

No one's saying he's OP, but saying he's far from and balanced is incorrect. Is he balanced compared Chaze? yes, is Chaze balanced compared to other toons? no. There has to be toons on top that are borderline OP, it's how power creeps work. Saying he and Chaze are not borderline OP is setting the bar too low, making the toons at the bottom look even worse than they are now.

I my opinion there are no toons OP enough to be nerfed. That doesn't mean they're not significantly more powerful than the rest, and on that borderline of OP.