For those who hate nerfs (me too) what crosses the line?

Prev1
MrGrips
521 posts Member
So yea I dont wanna nerf anyone out atm. Havent wanted to since Rey and not because I thought Rey was OP just because she was the most boring character ever. But I DIGRESS.

So for all nerf herder haters out there, where's your line? Whats the least OP a char can be before you swallow the nerf pill and say "hey, you know what, this character needs to get whacked by the nerf bat a little bit."

Obvs im not interested in responses like "if vader did 10x his damage". Where's your line?

Replies

• Nerfs are actually a good thing. In most games nerfs are a regular thing to ensure there is balance in the game. The problem with swgoh is the p2w formula prevents the ability to implement nerfs, causing a huge power creep and an unbalanced game.
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Nerfs are actually a good thing. In most games nerfs are a regular thing to ensure there is balance in the game. The problem with swgoh is the p2w formula prevents the ability to implement nerfs, causing a huge power creep and an unbalanced game.

Hey this question Im asking should be interesting to you too. arent you curious what the nerf haters think is unacceptable? (or more accurately, bad)
  • Although it is utterly useless in this game, I usually use the standard 'If one character is simply better than another, it deserves a nerf of the other deserves a buff'. To use an extremely simplified example, if one tank has a longer taunt, but less health than another, that's good. If one tank has a longer taunt and the same/better health than another, they need balancing.

I don't understand why a significant portion of this game's player-base seems so averse to balancing. It's such a helpful thing for game health, and could very easily lead to a much more interesting arena. More things being usable and new things not being made to simply be the best would mean that the meta is a lot less defined, leading to a wider variety of teams to fight.
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    Although it is utterly useless in this game, I usually use the standard 'If one character is simply better than another, it deserves a nerf of the other deserves a buff'. To use an extremely simplified example, if one tank has a longer taunt, but less health than another, that's good. If one tank has a longer taunt and the same/better health than another, they need balancing.

I don't understand why a significant portion of this game's player-base seems so averse to balancing. It's such a helpful thing for game health, and could very easily lead to a much more interesting arena. More things being usable and new things not being made to simply be the best would mean that the meta is a lot less defined, leading to a wider variety of teams to fight.

SWGOH Design team wants that, but can't do it because they need to sell chars and direct a meta for gear sales. So they changed their plan to this:

Lets release or revamp characters to be 10% better overall than the old chars so they sell. Then later we can bump the old guys up.

Problem is is that they dont get the chance to bump the old guys, some of them are super old/weak and by now theyve kinda given up that mission.

Players dont want nerfs obs because they like their stronger chars but also some dislike them because they dont mind the model if the teams we get to use are fun.
  • MrGrips wrote: »
    Nerfs are actually a good thing. In most games nerfs are a regular thing to ensure there is balance in the game. The problem with swgoh is the p2w formula prevents the ability to implement nerfs, causing a huge power creep and an unbalanced game.

Hey this question Im asking should be interesting to you too. arent you curious what the nerf haters think is unacceptable? (or more accurately, bad)

Mainly people who hate nerfs are the whales. They deem it unfair that they spend money on a character and then the character later becomes weakened. If this was game with say a monthly subscription, without all the p2w features, we'd see a lot more patches nerfing and buffing different characters. Overall the game would be much much better and way more balanced. Sadly the only thing really keeping this game afloat is the star wars branding.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Simply put, if the "rock" is so strong that no "paper" can beat it, it might need a look. What I mean by that is that if there is a character (or perhaps synergy of 2 or more characters) that has virtually no reliable counter, then perhaps it should have a nerf.

Just as some examples: people who want to run all Jedi teams say Darth Maul is OP - but he clearly isn't, Jedi are just the worst possible team to run against him.

There's a thread floating around about Dooku being OP with a Nihilus lead - but the person complaining didn't have a single character that could stun, daze or heal block Dooku. Maul/Palp are solid counters - no nerf needed.

Even CherryBaze - B2, Boba and Palp can all stop that train. No nerf needed.

Only if the character (or synergy) can't be countered realistically, should a nerf be considered. As an extreme example - droids as currently comprised, but imagine there are no pretaunts, no Raid Han and no Rex lead....then maybe. Something like that.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Simply put, if the "rock" is so strong that no "paper" can beat it, it might need a look. What I mean by that is that if there is a character (or perhaps synergy of 2 or more characters) that has virtually no reliable counter, then perhaps it should have a nerf.

Just as some examples: people who want to run all Jedi teams say Darth Maul is OP - but he clearly isn't, Jedi are just the worst possible team to run against him.

There's a thread floating around about Dooku being OP with a Nihilus lead - but the person complaining didn't have a single character that could stun, daze or heal block Dooku. Maul/Palp are solid counters - no nerf needed.

Only if the character (or synergy) can't be countered realistically, should a nerf be considered. As an extreme example - droids as currently comprised, but imagine there are no pretaunts, no Raid Han and no Rex lead....then maybe. Something like that.

i was gonna post something but this about sums it up.
  • My line for nerfs was probably about forty two yards with the spiral model and a minor tailwind. Probably about 33 now......
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited March 2017

This x10000000000

Solution: release even more powerful characters.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

That is my thread. Perhaps a nerf is not what is needed, but a redesign. A single character should not be able to solo an entire team of equal level and strong synergy unless that team has a stun, or daze etc. That's just poor design. There is another thread about it now as well.
  • Mzee wrote: »

This x10000000000

Mzee wrote: »

This x10000000000

Thanks. At least someone gets it.
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member

@Nikoms565
    Really good response, makes a lot of sense.

Just a few questions im left with.

What if the counter is really hard to get? Like, if the only counters were GenG and FoTP?

What if the counter is behind a tight paywall (like chromium only) and it doesnt seem like a F2P release is soon?

What if the counter is a character that is useless everwhere else, like if the counter was CUP or Ugnaught?

ty
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    MrGrips wrote: »

@Nikoms565
    Really good response, makes a lot of sense.

Just a few questions im left with.

What if the counter is really hard to get? Like, if the only counters were GenG and FoTP?

What if the counter is behind a tight paywall (like chromium only) and it doesnt seem like a F2P release is soon?

What if the counter is a character that is useless everwhere else, like if the counter was CUP or Ugnaught?

ty

Sorry also forgot, what if the counter required is a specific 3-man, 4-man, or specific 5-man setup required to beat? As in, I need exactly TFP, Boba, Palp, Vader all to be in my team to counter said char.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Heh. Game balancing doesn't mean wait til one character becomes completely out of control until you need to nerf it. It means looking at usage statistics and viable counters and making slight adjustments to keep a healthy balanced game.
  • Biggs's X Wing's taunt with huge protection recovery any time a target lock is laid down needs a nerf for sure
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Mainly people who hate nerfs are the whales. They deem it unfair that they spend money on a character and then the character later becomes weakened. If this was game with say a monthly subscription, without all the p2w features, we'd see a lot more patches nerfing and buffing different characters. Overall the game would be much much better and way more balanced. Sadly the only thing really keeping this game afloat is the star wars branding.

If anything, ftp players dislike nerfs more than whales. Sure whales lose some money, but they're already willing to spend tons of money to stay on top. Ftp players invest time instead of money which is (usually) far more difficult to make up than disposable income.
  • DatBoi wrote: »

If anything, ftp players dislike nerfs more than whales. Sure whales lose some money, but they're already willing to spend tons of money to stay on top. Ftp players invest time instead of money which is (usually) far more difficult to make up than disposable income.

I've never referred to myself as any type of seafood but I am 100percent positive I don't like to spend money to see it negated by a game developer.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    I hate nerfs with all my soul but The first barriss meta nerf was justified basically it was impossible to kill a toon.
    The Poe meta nerf was justified because the Poe that went first at the initial coin flip had a instant win after that I can't justify any nerfs
    The protection up date nerfs were the absolute worst nerfs in all SWGOH.
  • I've never asked for a nerf as I believe every toon or meta is short lived in this game before it moves on. Nerfing is unfair to those who have invested too. The only things that annoy me are 'must haves' that generate cookie cutter teams in arena. We can all produce identical teams if we wanted so it gets dull. Biggest examples of this is palps AoE which can stun an entire team or starting taunters like shoretrooper and baze.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    I don't think that they have crossed the line yet. The power creep is almost comical but nothing has strayed too far out of line.
  • Olddumper wrote: »
    I don't think that they have crossed the line yet. The power creep is almost comical but nothing has strayed too far out of line.

I'd say Wiggs did. Those dudes were practically the only way to succeed in arena for months.

A more current example would be Z Maul. There is little-to-no counterplay against those teams. You could say B2, but a Sith team under Z Maul can gain stealth more often than B2 can dispel, especially if Nihilus is on it.

Maul's lead is, to put it simply, over-tuned. Things like the free TM and evasion are unnecessary excess. They could be cut and it would still be one of the best leads in the game.
  • Big_Boss wrote: »
    I hate nerfs with all my soul but The first barriss meta nerf was justified basically it was impossible to kill a toon.
    The Poe meta nerf was justified because the Poe that went first at the initial coin flip had a instant win after that I can't justify any nerfs
    The protection up date nerfs were the absolute worst nerfs in all SWGOH.

Don't forget about the biggest nerf in the game. Mods.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    From a purely conceptual standpoint, I like the IceFrog balance model best (fight OP with OP). Buff toons by making them stronger at what they do already and nerf toons by making their weaknesses more exploitable. Not really feasible for this game but overall, I think it's the best path towards creating a dynamic yet still balanced game.
  • Zooey wrote: »
    From a purely conceptual standpoint, I like the IceFrog balance model best (fight OP with OP). Buff toons by making them stronger at what they do already and nerf toons by making their weaknesses more exploitable. Not really feasible for this game but overall, I think it's the best path towards creating a dynamic yet still balanced game.

Yea no that's called power creep. That's exactly how a game destroys itself.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »

Dota 2 is balanced in exactly this fashion. And it's one of the most successful games ever made.

Dota 2 is balanced in exactly this fashion. And it's one of the most successful games ever made.

Dota has done plenty of nerfing.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member

What part of what I was wrote suggests that Dota doesn't nerf?

The key things they do are:

1. Always buff more than they nerf, creating power creep.
    2. Keep heroes different from each other by buffing strengths and nerfing weaknesses.
    3. Continually introduce new mechanics as part of new heroes / items.

Its in no way a flawed strategy when executed correctly, and it's something that a lot of other game devs have tried to mimic. Obviously SWGOH deviates from the base ideas by not nerfing at all, but that doesn't mean this isn't the correct model to follow.

What part of what I was wrote suggests that Dota doesn't nerf?

The key things they do are:

1. Always buff more than they nerf, creating power creep.
    2. Keep heroes different from each other by buffing strengths and nerfing weaknesses.
    3. Continually introduce new mechanics as part of new heroes / items.

Its in no way a flawed strategy when executed correctly, and it's something that a lot of other game devs have tried to mimic. Obviously SWGOH deviates from the base ideas by not nerfing at all, but that doesn't mean this isn't the correct model to follow.

Yea the problem with swgoh is the no-nerf policy.
  • I'm just going to say it, even if I take some heat but...

When dooku can 1vs 4 an arena team that all has green health/green health + protection.
  • anonidude
    703 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm just going to say it, even if I take some heat but...

When dooku can 1vs 4 an arena team that all has green health/green health + protection.

Then clearly you need help desiging your squads.
    | ANZGC | Exile |