Krennic or should I say Zrennic lead advice.

War
932 posts Member
Was thinking of running a Krennic lead in arena. Not shooting for top 10 of course, if I was I'd pick a different meta.

With Krennic as leader, and DT and SHT being staples for a Krennic lead, that leaves two more spots. TFP's an obvious fourth, so that leaves a fifth spot open to an Empire character. I was thinking Magmatrooper as a fifth. I know his damage output is not great, but he'd be a pretty good utility character for the squad.

I've used Magma under Zader lead before, he works as a good counter to the faster TFP's and Boba's on my shard. They inflict a debuff on him, he goes right after with his AoE TM reduction. I learned however after his initial AoE, he's a wasted spot that could go to a fast Zidious. Under Krennic lead however, it would be Zidious as a wasted spot seeing as he's not an Empire character.

The plan would be to pump Magmatrooper with as much crit chance as possible, since crit damage would be wasted on him. With him ideally scoring critical hits on the main target and a second target, he'd be ability blocking two enemies per turn.

Thoughts on this squad? Wouldn't say no to mod advice either.

Replies

• I've been considering such a squad myself. Perhaps consider a Empire/Sith hybrid using zVader or Palps as lead, interesting prospects.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Consider using Palp for 5th. Turn order should be TFP, DT to get rid of any taunts, buffs, unstealth Maul squads, and possibly get some ability blocks going if TFP landed some buff immunities, Krennic (AOE), and then follow-up with Palp. Palp has a chance to stun and also hit any remaining Staggers that Krennic afflicts the other team with. You'll kill a bunch of TM and if you're lucky you'll get some stuns and ability blocks (DK's lead). Not to mention Shock is pretty solid against Maul squads. Possibly not top-10 material but it should be fun.

I'm not a fan of Magmatrooper. At some point you still have to kill somebody and his damage is garbage. Palp gives you damage and utility.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Consider using Palp for 5th. Turn order should be TFP, DT to get rid of any taunts, buffs, unstealth Maul squads, and possibly get some ability blocks going if TFP landed some buff immunities, Krennic (AOE), and then follow-up with Palp. Palp has a chance to stun and also hit any remaining Staggers that Krennic afflicts the other team with. You'll kill a bunch of TM and if you're lucky you'll get some stuns and ability blocks (DK's lead). Not to mention Shock is pretty solid against Maul squads. Possibly not top-10 material but it should be fun.

I'm not a fan of Magmatrooper. At some point you still have to kill somebody and his damage is garbage. Palp gives you damage and utility.

EP's a good choice, but he's squishy and people have learned to Ability Block and then let AoE's finish him off. Plus Boba after some debuffs have landed on EP can execute him even with SHT or another tank taunting. He really needs his own lead for survivability or Zader for that extra offense and TM manipulation.

Magmatrooper on the other hand has a lot of Health and Protection that he'll potentially be recovering 20% of every turn with his basic. EP would also be recovering Protection every turn, but his naturally low protection won't equate to the same level of survivability.

If I were to abandon the Magmatrooper idea it would probably be to add Vader.
  • What does your server's meta look like?
  • You will get utterly destroyed by zaul.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    You will get utterly destroyed by zaul.

He said he's not necessarily looking to make top-10, sounds like trying to have fun. But, MT is just so awful and unfortunately the YouTuber Ahnald's one video makes him look like a rock star. Anybody that's watched many of his videos, has seen some of the comps and mods he goes against and the competition is rather poor. He could run a QGJ zeta with strong mods and never leave first place on that server.
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

He said he's not necessarily looking to make top-10, sounds like trying to have fun. But, MT is just so awful and unfortunately the YouTuber Ahnald's one video makes him look like a rock star. Anybody that's watched many of his videos, has seen some of the comps and mods he goes against and the competition is rather poor. He could run a QGJ zeta with strong mods and never leave first place on that server.

Zqgj can get first on any server. And why don't you make vids then instead of hating on someone who takes the time to show us content?

Zqgj can get first on any server.

That's cool, wish I had more diversity on my server. QGJ can't crack our top-5 unfortunately, it gets rather boring facing Maul variants all day.

Zqgj can get first on any server.

That's cool, wish I had more diversity on my server. QGJ can't crack our top-5 unfortunately, it gets rather boring facing Maul variants all day.

... I'm on a Nov 15 server with 90% zaul teams. There's still a couple zqgj teams that are competitive tho. They can still beat any team.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    @Darth_Jay77 Like I said before I've ran Magmatrooper, he's actually not as bad as people make him out to be. Zidious was simply an easy replacement option under Zader lead. With a Krennic lead I definitely need to drop Zidious for an Empire character and I'm weighing my options. Also I have a geared and modded Magmatrooper on standby so it's not like I'm starting from scratch and throwing millions of credits at him.

I actually have every Empire character, Stormtrooper and Veers included, geared and modded ready to be added as fifth. Just looking for some suggestions. Right now it's between Magma and EP.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    The only problem w krennic lead is that you'd need two very fast empire characters to pull of a first turn ability block.. there's already a fast toon who ability blocks, it's boba. Just run zader w krennic and deathtrooper and you will be happier lol
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Mazurka wrote: »
    The only problem w krennic lead is that you'd need two very fast empire characters to pull of a first turn ability block.. there's already a fast toon who ability blocks, it's boba. Just run zader w krennic and deathtrooper and you will be happier lol

Not interested in a meta or hybrid team. I want to run an Empire team like I used to. Well technically Sidious is my only non-Empire character, but I'm honestly tired of running a Zader team. It's not quite what it used to be, and I'm not referring to the fix. It's just lost it's appeal and become a hybrid. I'd rather run a Tarkin lead, but unfortunately he hasn't received his Zeta yet. Krennic lead looks like it'll be fun and bring back the good old days of running Empire back before it was cool.

I'm talking level cap 60, Vader lead with Snowtrooper. Later it was EP lead with Vader, Snow, Magma, and RG. TFP later replaced Snow and SHT replaced Magma for that double tank meta. I tried making Zader work with my old style of Empire play, but it's become an Empire/Sith hybrid.
  • @War In reference to MT, I guess it depends on your server to some degree too. My server is far too fast for something like MT to be useful, I'd have to throw 130 speed on him for him to be relevant but his damage would still be an issue. If it works for you then great, he just wouldn't be my first choice as Palp is just so much better overall. I actually ran Krennic zeta when it was first released and I could finish first and stay top-10 overnight with it, but I definitely had to include Palp in the mix. Unfortunately Krennic lead isn't that great, especially now with Maul squads everywhere. Best of luck with your squad, it should be fun at least.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    @War In reference to MT, I guess it depends on your server to some degree too. My server is far too fast for something like MT to be useful, I'd have to throw 130 speed on him for him to be relevant but his damage would still be an issue. If it works for you then great, he just wouldn't be my first choice as Palp is just so much better overall. I actually ran Krennic zeta when it was first released and I could finish first and stay top-10 overnight with it, but I definitely had to include Palp in the mix. Unfortunately Krennic lead isn't that great, especially now with Maul squads everywhere. Best of luck with your squad, it should be fun at least.

Fun is all I'm looking for at the moment. The game's gone through so much change so fast that I was attempting to keep up with, I kind of overwhelmed myself. I've never ran meta before but then Vader became meta and well I was running meta. Running my Zader against other Zader's has become a game of who has higher speed mods and can win the RNG coin toss.

I'm taking a step back and going to run something different than the meta and make it work against the meta, it's what I've always done. As far as who's going to be my fifth; Magma, EP, Vader, Tarkin, other Empire characters. I have them all geared, modded, and ready to be swapped freely between arena fights even. I'll probably do just that. MT against Zader teams, EP against Jedi and Rebels, maybe other Empire characters will get a chance as well.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    War wrote: »
    @War In reference to MT, I guess it depends on your server to some degree too. My server is far too fast for something like MT to be useful, I'd have to throw 130 speed on him for him to be relevant but his damage would still be an issue. If it works for you then great, he just wouldn't be my first choice as Palp is just so much better overall. I actually ran Krennic zeta when it was first released and I could finish first and stay top-10 overnight with it, but I definitely had to include Palp in the mix. Unfortunately Krennic lead isn't that great, especially now with Maul squads everywhere. Best of luck with your squad, it should be fun at least.

Fun is all I'm looking for at the moment. The game's gone through so much change so fast that I was attempting to keep up with, I kind of overwhelmed myself. I've never ran meta before but then Vader became meta and well I was running meta. Running my Zader against other Zader's has become a game of who has higher speed mods and can win the RNG coin toss.

I'm taking a step back and going to run something different than the meta and make it work against the meta, it's what I've always done. As far as who's going to be my fifth; Magma, EP, Vader, Tarkin, other Empire characters. I have them all geared, modded, and ready to be swapped freely between arena fights even. I'll probably do just that. MT against Zader teams, EP against Jedi and Rebels, maybe other Empire characters will get a chance as well.

Well if you're looking for a fun team, no one else can give you advice on what's fun for you :)
  • War wrote: »

Hopefully we'll get Thrawn and other "Rebels" Empire characters soon too. Glad you're able to have fun and set aside the meta for now. :)
  • A guy in my arena remains top ten with this squad. No Zaul in my arena yet tho, but hes constantly switching his 5th slot. From what i've seen, palp, boba, and royal guard work really good in the squad.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    A guy in my arena remains top ten with this squad. No Zaul in my arena yet tho, but hes constantly switching his 5th slot. From what i've seen, palp, boba, and royal guard work really good in the squad.

Royal Guard? Must be for the stun and buffs, too many Buff Immunity characters to be using him for the auto taunt. A strong stunner wouldn't be a bad thing to have. Works as a counter to the Zaul meta.