Seriously, how many people in here DOESN'T spend real cash in the game!?!?

Prev13
Besides PVZ, this is the only other EA game I played because all EA games are money pits. I actually like this game, but early into it I realized you can't progress without dropping a bucket of dough.

And not to mention the obvious disparities between free characters and purchased characters, and the almost slot machine like behaviors of how gears are issued when using sim tickets to bypass battles.

My guess is just about anyone in the top 500 have spent money on this game. Not hating, but just curious how many actually spent money and how much you have spent to get to where you are today. I played for a month and have not gotten anywhere in the game.....

Replies

• By your statements I gather you're not a very smart person. Top 500 only if you pay, lol. FTP can even compete for #1 in arena.
  • I'm tops in my arena shard every day as FTP.

Ship arena is where spenders have the advantage. They had 7* ships from day one.
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Never spent anything.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/
    It's very much a F2P game if you know what you're doing.
  • Besides PVZ, this is the only other EA game I played because all EA games are money pits.
    The company has been around for 35 years and how do you even-- oh nevermind. :D
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • By your statements I gather you're not a very smart person. Top 500 only if you pay, lol. FTP can even compete for #1 in arena.

My intelligence is not part of the discussion, so if you care to leave it out of the conversation that would be appreciated. Anyone can compete for number 1 in arena, so your statement is technically true. I can compete for number 1 in arena play....lol

Ship arena is where spenders have the advantage. They had 7* ships from day one.

How long did it take you to get there without spending cash? Just curious. Because the way the game is setup it will take a long time playing it before you can get the gears you need to progress.

How long did it take you to get there without spending cash? Just curious. Because the way the game is setup it will take a long time playing it before you can get the gears you need to progress.
    You can hit rank 1 in your arena after just 3-4 weeks of playing, and without spending.
  • Besides PVZ, this is the only other EA game I played because all EA games are money pits.
    The company has been around for 35 years and how do you even-- oh nevermind. :D

Lol, there are people who don't spend every waking hour playing games ;) I was referring to smartphone app games, sorry if I was being unclear in my original post. I was around when the original Nintendo was introduced so this should be a clue to my age.
  • Never spent anything.

How long did it take you?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Never spent anything.

i get the feeling you will have a follow up question regardless of what awnsers you'll get.
  • https://swgoh.gg/u/belfazar/

Been playing for a year. Not a dime on any in app purchases.
    Only purchase I made was 0.99$ to unlock the full version of cartoon wars back in 2007.

My intelligence is not part of the discussion, so if you care to leave it out of the conversation that would be appreciated. Anyone can compete for number 1 in arena, so your statement is technically true. I can compete for number 1 in arena play....lol

What? Lol. Only those FTP who are strategic can battle for top spots in arena and actually do.
  • Never spent anything.

Been playing since November 2015. Hit rank 1 for the first time in mid feb 2016. I didn't know what I was doing when starting out, and only found the forums mid January. Following an up to date F2P guide from here, on a new account will see you get to the top much faster.
  • Op you will find that most arena boards are different, some are easy and lightly active with moderate comps, some are mid range and others like mine are whale boards where ftp can compete when the game hits a flat line.
    Take stock of what top teams are on your board and others. Chase the meta if it can be caught easily. Meta can be very different from board to board and be at different points depending on when you started playing.
  • 100% F2P, all the way.
  • leef wrote: »
    Never spent anything.

i get the feeling you will have a follow up question regardless of what awnsers you'll get.
    leef wrote: »
    Never spent anything.

It was a simple question, and yes, there would be follow up questions if the answer was interesting..... Not sure what you are alluding to?
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    The gear is not the hardest part. The "hardest" part is leveling your account up high enough to compete for the top spots, which can take several months for a free player to do if they login every day and complete all the daily quests and spend all the energy that they accumulated overnight.

On top of that, it's mostly a matter of having the right combination of characters to win at arena. If you have none of the right characters when you're all leveled up, that'll add a lot more time to the grind.

If you do already have the right characters when you reach the upper levels, it'll either be by total accident (i.e. you picked the ones you like, and it just so happens that they turn out to be one of the best combinations); or because you've paid very good attention to what's going on in the game; or you went on web forums and researched it in order to get a head start (i.e. you learned the "meta-game") and minimize the time you waste on developing characters who'll eventually need to be sent to the bench because they're not competitive enough.

If you don't care about being top dog in arena, then none of that really matters though. You can go at your own pace, play the characters that you like even if they're not the best, and just be contented with whatever rank you're able to get until it stops being any fun and you quit playing.
  • Theophany
    865 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I personally would never spend on any game like this considering you OWN nothing and as soon as servers are shut down for good all your hard earned money and precious time invested goes with it.
    Some of the brightest ideas are the hardest to see

What? Lol. Only those FTP who are strategic can battle for top spots in arena and actually do.

The statement was FTP can compete for top arena spot. It is technically a true statement. Competing and being competitive are two separate issues. I compete every time I play, doesn't mean I get anywhere.

I can compete in the marathon if I want to, but that doesn't mean I'm competitive....

• Interesting website. Does anywhere show how much money was spent or how long the player has been playing? Impressive stats by the way.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Like any game, you either invest time or money to progress. Dont expect anything else

• Interesting website. Does anywhere show how much money was spent or how long the player has been playing? Impressive stats by the way.

It wouldn't show money spent because it doesn't have access to people's google play/itunes accounts. I can tell you the exact total I've spent in accumulating those stats: $0.00. It also only shows the date the person signed up for an account on the site. I started playing early April 2016, so just shy of a year ago.
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member
    i am 100% free to play. i have never dropped a single penny on this game. i have received $25 gift cards for birthday and christmas but that's only $50 with. other than using the 2 gift cards i have not spent any money. never will either.

i choose to invest time instead of money. i play a good 2 hours a day at least.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Like any game, you either invest time or money to progress. Dont expect anything else

Not expecting anything but! Just stating my observations regarding EA app games in general.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Never spent anything.

Never spent anything.

It was a simple question, and yes, there would be follow up questions if the answer was interesting..... Not sure what you are alluding to?

that you won't be happy with the awnsers if they don't fit into your view of this game.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I've spent maybe $200 total and have been playing since either late January or early February 2016.

To be honest, this is one of the easier games to not spend money in. Other games I've played I've hit a wall a certain point in where you just HAVE to spend to advance. Free playing is totally possible with this game. People think that the only metric of success is your Arena rank, and that's just silly. Are you contributing in raids? Do you get far in your Galactic War? Have you advanced your cantina and regular boards? Are you locked out of events because you don't have the required characters?

Even finishing top 200 in Arena is no big deal.

One thing this game does right is that you really advance very quickly early on. You unlock a lot of 1 and 2 star characters in the first few days, and you're working on 3 star characters shortly after. More importantly, those 1s and 2s are still useful even in the highest of levels in various ways (JC is a great ship, Royal Gaurd still sees play, etc). If you're patient, this gives you a plethora of things to work on as you level up.

If you're not patient, this gives you a lot of things to spend on immediately, and then you spend the middle part of the game trying to find new things.

It's all up to you. There's no objectively wrong answer, just what you think the proper balance of time to money is.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I'm F2P and confident I'll be able to compete with paying players. It just takes longer to get stuff