Help me understand a Rex arena team

Xetal
218 posts Member
I'm trying to understand a Rex arena team. I get that you pretty much use the leadership ability to give you a ton of turn meter when you get crits (especially from early AoE, like a quick Boba AoE)... but who do you run in the squad with Rex?

If you were to build a Rex squad, what are good options for your other 4?

What do you do about Nihilus leads where you don't get crit?

Why is it specifically so strong against a (Z)Maul squad?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to work towards a (Z)Vader team or a Rex team. Currently on a pretty young (level 56) account and running cookie-cutter Rebels, but trying to understand the game better.

Thanks or any help!

Replies

• Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    At lower levels I don't think Rex is as effective I've been running him with kylo, boba, and the 4th and 5th spot alternate's between b2, 5's and sf. I do ok with it, I can break into top 100 but normally lose 70-90 ranks overnight. I think he's much better with chaze, but them again what team isn't?
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    I wasn't necessarily thinking for the 50s. Right now I need to keep working on my Rebels, get a Jedi squad that can beat the Mod Challenge so I can buy better mods in the shop, and start working on collecting some shards for Zeta challenge and Executrix 5-star stuff.

I wouldn't be putting anything with Rex as the lead on the field for another few weeks, at the earliest.

I'm just trying to understand why he is such a highly regarded arena lead, and trying to figure out what is used effectively in his squad to do so well in Arena.
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    Those doing good with him in arena, mostly against maul teams, is as you said the turn meter gain when your team gets hit by crits, and his tenacity buff that also gives turn meter. And most of those people are running the chaze combo along with gk and I've seen them with dn or b2. They are a great long term goal for sure as I'd bet they will be good against almost any meta that comes along.

You're looking at double taunt with a pretaunt, triple cleanse, tenacity up, crit immunity, retribution and tons of turn meter gain, oh and all the hots. Very deadly team to run if you have the patience and are in a haat guild.
  • BrillO
    320 posts Member
    I was literally blown away when my droid team did better with a Rex lead over hk47.

His leadership looks "meh" on paper, but wrecks in reality. It feels like the other team is standing still when using Rex. The real beauty is you can use who ever you want for the squad.

So who should you use under Rex? Well, which toons do you want to take more turns?

I broke into the top fifty with Rex, 88, 86, poggle, and SF.

I broke into the top ten (before zaul) with Rex, wiggs, 88, and SF.

I replaced 88 with Boba, and the wave of zaul followed shortly after. Even though I could still beat them, I wanted to replace wiggs.

Now I run Rex, Kylo, fotp(who I love, but don't recommend), Boba, and SF. And I still compete with zaul, zader, nilly, gk, and chaze teams.

I've had the best success when my team is well rounded. Dispel, debuff, taunt, and dps. Rex debuffs, SF debuffs/taunts, and that leaves three slots for dps or experimentation.

Go with Rex.
  • Rex cleanses all cc siths abilitys and provudes debuff immunity to allallys.. That means, palps, vader, maul, are useless ... I dont run rex myself but im planning to go for: nihilus lead, rex, palps,vader, maul. Rex offers my sustain, cuz my sith now are unkillable as long they have tenacity up. They cant get stunned, shocked, abilityblocked,slowed, healing immunity etc. So they heal with each attack back up.. They just need to be protected untill nihilus anhilates the enemy. After that, the game is over, cuz they have no meatshield and theyr dmg does nothing against me... Palps can heal about 70k by himself with his special.. Mauls aoe does ybout 150k heal. Vaders cullingblade is also about 50k . Nihilus stacks himself up to 150k max health and game over :D just rex needs to apply tenacity up.. Could also go for yoda, but rex is cooler and also a better tank shredderer
  • https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/
    No zetas required for the team to beat every other team there is out there. IMO, it's the strongest arena team in the game right now.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for all the replies!

Dooku_for_days: If you were to build that same team, but were not able to get General Kenobi yet, then who would you build to be in his spot?
  • Xetal wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies!

Dooku_for_days: If you were to build that same team, but were not able to get General Kenobi yet, then who would you build to be in his spot?
    Chirrut if you have him/are willing to pay for him. A guildie is having success with that, but will have his gk unlocked in not too long. Other than that, I'm not too sure anyone else would fit.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    Thanks
  • BrillO
    320 posts Member
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/
    No zetas required for the team to beat every other team there is out there. IMO, it's the strongest arena team in the game right now.

Rad.
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    Chaze works well because of taunts, cleanse and healing. Outside of those 3, you could throw in Boba, Zylo, GK, DN or any number of characters.

I would think Rex, Chaze, Boba and Zylo would be frustrating. Double cleanse, tenacity up to block EP/Vader, Boba block best attacker and then Zylo to stun.
  • Rex, nihilus, palpatine, zkylo, baze worked for a few weeks now against all the maul teams. I recently got ahold of Kenobi and switched out Baze for him which has only helped a bit. Having kenobi just gives an extra chance to break out of the opening condition locks.

I feel like the idea behind any rex team is just to back him up with a bunch of "good stuff" with tools. In my case I wanted some form of ability block so i included nihilus (ran boba prior, prefer nihilus' HP/Prot pool). I wanted a stun and healing immunity so kylo happened (and i wanted to play with him finally). I needed buff immunity so palpatine and his shock joined the team. Finally I need a tank so I grabbed baze and later kenobi for the role. Each toon brings some utility to the team and rex lead just helps them get their job done faster/more often.

In the wiggs meta previously a lot of rex teams included ayla, anakin,sun fac, and fives. All the toons could take the wiggs bomb, they counterattacked the lando/wedge aoes, stunned assisters when possible, slowed the eneny team down and dispelled the enemy STH. Each toon behind rex brought a needed status condition or ability to the table.

That logic just makes him a very adaptable, safe option to fall back on when in doubt lol. Gaining TM is never bad and you can put whatever toolbox you need for the meta behind him.