Mod pack improvements missed the mark

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Tatebomb wrote: »
    Whales/krakens need to have advantage...

They already do and all the whales in my guild stood away form these packs seeing how much a ripoff they were. One guy spent $250 and got 0 speed secondaries and one five dot mod.

Spending money on refreshes would be a better choice by far.

How is that possible when they give you a 5 dot every pack?

It's not - it's called hyperbole. But you are correct - each pack guarantees 1 5* mod.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    It's all about RNG after all.... Even though i came here and read the posts saying it was a bad choice, i had some crystals saved and bought two packs, 1 of health and 1 of crit chance... I actually got 2 great mods, 1 from each buy.... So i'm not sure i regret i bought it... Even though i just spent 2k crystals for 2 mods "as per say"...

I'm not sure how to feel about it now lol...
  • Tatebomb wrote: »
    Mylion wrote: »
    Im done with the gambling side of this game. Like the pheonix characters 5-30 shards. Well i have them all 7* and how many times did 30 drop...once. Gambling is fine with allypoints and thing you earn it is not ok with money. EA/CG its time to stop

While I don't want to be critical of how anyone spends thier money you do realize that you're the reason they haven't stopped right? Why would they make it cheaper when you're buying everything anyway? If you want them to stop you have to speak with your wallet not the forums.

I for one don't want them to stop. They lower the prices the more people buy and thus forces people to buy to be competitive. This would kill off strictly FTP players as too many people would have an advantage over them. Thankfully EA/CG grasps this.

And then what happens when eventually the whales get priced out? F2P is nice and all but they don't bring revenue. More people buying equals more revenue.

They can adjust the price as the analytics dictate. You're right, FTP doesn't generate revenue, but are critical in the Freemium model as they make most of the userbase. Once users leave why pay for a game few are even playing?
    Im done with the gambling side of this game. Like the pheonix characters 5-30 shards. Well i have them all 7* and how many times did 30 drop...once. Gambling is fine with allypoints and thing you earn it is not ok with money. EA/CG its time to stop

While I don't want to be critical of how anyone spends thier money you do realize that you're the reason they haven't stopped right? Why would they make it cheaper when you're buying everything anyway? If you want them to stop you have to speak with your wallet not the forums.

I for one don't want them to stop. They lower the prices the more people buy and thus forces people to buy to be competitive. This would kill off strictly FTP players as too many people would have an advantage over them. Thankfully EA/CG grasps this.

And then what happens when eventually the whales get priced out? F2P is nice and all but they don't bring revenue. More people buying equals more revenue.

They can adjust the price as the analytics dictate. You're right, FTP doesn't generate revenue, but are critical in the Freemium model as they make most of the userbase. Once users leave why pay for a game few are even playing?

I'm just saying if people want lower prices then they need to stop buying the overpriced stuff.
  • I definitely didn't buy a single 1 of the mod pacts, they should've just released the same pacts, these new ones are a blatant ripoff

They already do and all the whales in my guild stood away form these packs seeing how much a ripoff they were. One guy spent $250 and got 0 speed secondaries and one five dot mod.

Spending money on refreshes would be a better choice by far.

How is that possible when they give you a 5 dot every pack?

That was a typo, one five dot mod with a speed secondary @Tatebomb

They do bring revenue. The reason people continue to spend money in this game is to be better than the next man, not just to progress. If f2p goes, then the guppy is next, followed by the whale, leaving only the krakens, who quit eventually because being #1 in a group of 1 is no fun.

Without f2p players, there would eventually be no revenue.

• Woodroward wrote: »

They do bring revenue. The reason people continue to spend money in this game is to be better than the next man, not just to progress. If f2p goes, then the guppy is next, followed by the whale, leaving only the krakens, who quit eventually because being #1 in a group of 1 is no fun.

Yes I get that f2p is important and tbh I think they do a good job catering to them making every new character free and all. It's the mid level spenders that are getting priced out now and soon the high end spenders will get priced out.

I feel like all whales should understand this. Guess they forgot pay for an education.
  • Caedas
    215 posts Member
    Everyone should know the rule by now: Packs bought with crystals nearly always suck, and the ones you pay straight money for a generally much better.
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member
    OMG......the amount of money people spend on this game is RIDICULOUS. i'd honestly be embarrassed to tell people i spent that much on a free mobile game.

i can see an occasional $20-$50 here and there but there isn't anything worth $400.

I agree, I'm not a big spender but I should get an advantage over those who don't spend and at the same time be at a disadvantage against those who spend more than me.

They don't release cosmetic things to buy to change how things look so anything bought should help get you ahead of those who spend less.

The current releases are hurting the light spenders. Whales keep on whaling and f2p are happy because they know they are not losing out by not buying anything.

Those who spend should have an advantage over those who don't, but the only advantage they should have should be one that equates to time. Spending money should save you time, but not get you things that other people can't get.

That's the only way to maintain the chance to compete for f2p players in a freemium game. If what is available for money isn't set in some sort of ratio of time to acquire vs money spent, then the game always ends up dying. I know, I've been playing freemium games for over 20 years.

And I am a whale/kraken in this game.

https://swgoh.gg/u/woodroward/

If that's you, you're not even a guppy let alone a whale/kraken.

• The mod packs now aren't nearly as good as before. We're asked to pay an extra 40% just for the ability to choose which set to buy. I was much happier with 600 crystal deal for the random mods that they did before...
  • Good point if everyone feels the game is losing value, everyone will suffer when the game gets shelved.
    Create value for all, time could be the advantage for spending not superior character abilities that only a few other can compete.

*what about arena leaders in top 10 for (x) days get shifted to another arena board with all top players so all super speedies get to compete with one another.
    Woodroward wrote: »

I agree, I'm not a big spender but I should get an advantage over those who don't spend and at the same time be at a disadvantage against those who spend more than me.

They don't release cosmetic things to buy to change how things look so anything bought should help get you ahead of those who spend less.

The current releases are hurting the light spenders. Whales keep on whaling and f2p are happy because they know they are not losing out by not buying anything.

Those who spend should have an advantage over those who don't, but the only advantage they should have should be one that equates to time. Spending money should save you time, but not get you things that other people can't get.

That's the only way to maintain the chance to compete for f2p players in a freemium game. If what is available for money isn't set in some sort of ratio of time to acquire vs money spent, then the game always ends up dying. I know, I've been playing freemium games for over 20 years.

• Winstar
    2429 posts Member

regular-show-gif-219-250-hd-wallpapers.jpg

• Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    spotremix wrote: »
    OMG......the amount of money people spend on this game is RIDICULOUS. i'd honestly be embarrassed to tell people i spent that much on a free mobile game.

i can see an occasional $20-$50 here and there but there isn't anything worth $400.

2191eb75a69573ba4a158fefcad5e83d_champions-finale-glee-tv-show-wiki-fandom-powered-by-wikia-ohhh-cat-meme_473-272.gif
  • vessaharja wrote: »
    400$ worth of mods

For your sake I hope these are Hong Kong Dollars or something.

ROFL +1 =D
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    This was garbage.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member

That is me. Regularly top 10 in PvP (with droids no less, if you think that a f2p could still pull that off in my shard full of whales, I'll scoff at you), regularly #1 in ships, regularly #2 in my guild raids. I've ONLY been playing since December 10th, and am in a guild that doesn't run heroics, and only recently switched to running 6 stars regularly. I am totally a Kraken/Whale. Don't want to get too much into specifics, but once you've spent thousands of dollars on a game in a few months... Yeah, that makes you AT LEAST a whale.

If it was a matter of pride, I'd be claiming I was f2p, not the reverse.

I started this game because several of my rl friends play it, and I saw how the game play reminded me of magic. I reached a point where I could leave my friends guild or spend money to progress as I wished. I chose to spend money.

I have been playing for 4 months and have a 7 star ewok scout that I barely ran any hard modes for. I have 15 7 star characters, a handful in t10, 1 in t11, and many in t9. As I said, I don't run heroics, I'm not in a top raiding guild. I'm in a guild that will take down its own heroics eventually and screw other people's progression curves.

My money spent is apparent in my profile if you have all the facts.

But it's easy to try to make judgement calls without all the relevant facts, so I'll forgive you your ignorant comment.
  • EZKill
    112 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I know, I've been playing freemium games for over 20 years.

The rest of your post make sense even though I disagree with parts of it but that above passage was clearly an exaggeration that you probably shouldn't have resorted to. 20+ years ago was the age of Motorola StarTACs and Warcraft 2 LAN parties in college dorms. The original PlayStation just came out and people were still MUD-ing over 56k modem because DSL was prohibitively expensive for the average homeowner until after the turn of the millennium. Needless to say mobile payment systems didn't even exist back then so neither could "freemium" games.

The closest one could get to the "freemium" model was shareware programs with upgrade options.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    EZKill wrote: »
    I know, I've been playing freemium games for over 20 years.

The rest of your post make sense even though I disagree with parts of it but that above passage was clearly an exaggeration that you probably shouldn't have resorted to. 20+ years ago was the age of Motorola StarTACs and Warcraft 2 LAN parties in college dorms. The original PlayStation just came out and people were still MUD-ing over 56k modem because DSL was prohibitively expensive for the average homeowner until after the turn of the millennium. Needless to say mobile payment systems didn't even exist back then so neither could "freemium" games.

The closest one could get to the "freemium" model was shareware programs with upgrade options.
    it's not an exaggeration. I was dialing up to BBS's with my 300 baud modem and paying for more attempts on their door games around 1990. The freemium model has been around as long as interconnected over phone line devices have been publicly available.
  • EZKill
    112 posts Member
    it's not an exaggeration. I was dialing up to BBS's with my 300 baud modem and paying for more attempts on their door games around 1990. The freemium model has been around as long as interconnected over phone line devices have been publicly available.

Hmm, I played TradeWars for a little while back then but had no idea you could pay to win. Oh well.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    EZKill wrote: »

Hmm, I played TradeWars for a little while back then but had no idea you could pay to win. Oh well.

Not sure if you could do it on Trade Wars. There was this one website called Pirates Anonymous. You could get extra attempts added to your account by dialing a 1-900 number. Then there were the sites you could buy currency, but you had to mail them a money order, or drop it by their place.

Of course there were the coffee house get togethers for the BBS users, and you could pay for site things then as well. I want to say some may have taken credit cards, but I didn't have one so I can't say for sure, it's been a while.

• EZKill
    112 posts Member
    Not sure if you could do it on Trade Wars. There was this one website called Pirates Anonymous. You could get extra attempts added to your account by dialing a 1-900 number. Then there were the sites you could buy currency, but you had to mail them a money order, or drop it by their place.

Of course there were the coffee house get togethers for the BBS users, and you could pay for site things then as well. I want to say some may have taken credit cards, but I didn't have one so I can't say for sure, it's been a while.

Oh god, 1-900 numbers. I was a poor college student back then so I pretty much steered clear of most entertainment options that could cost me money. It was all about free MUD-ing and then LAN parties.
  • Mylion
    62 posts Member

Im done with the gambling side of this game. Like the

I appreciate the relaxed response. I think there are multiple way to get the creators attention. The best way would be to close everyone wallets not just mine. I want the devs to make money but it should be inline and reasonable for the amout we spend. The effort by instinct and skunk to boycot the 2999 packs did a pretty good job. So while i am just one person and that I have greviances i think that the forum is just one method for me to speak my opinion freely. Since i bought all the packs for speed crit damage and offense and got nothing out of it i was hoping that others would benefit from my info. Most dont have the finances to spend the amount of money i spend on this game a month.
  • Mylion
    62 posts Member
    1 whale spending 5000$ a month = to 5000 people spending 1$ a month. If they provide value more casual players will be willing to part with a dollar. If in game assest were worth something this game would be categorized as a gambling service. Im just irritated and they need to change their model or the whales/casuals will no longer find value in playing this game. At the end of the day, there isnt enough content to keep this game going. I started in december and pretty much have reached the end of what there is to offer. They need to raise the level cap to unlimited, provide better defense, get rid of mod gambling and offer more in game modes. And they need to raise the mod limit from 500 to 5000. And if you are wondering if im casual or p2p - https://swgoh.gg/u/babeal/. You be the judge.
  • UltimateSeaDog
    1689 posts Member
    edited April 2017

Honestly, p2p should have an advantage, but not as much as p2w... common sense.

Bundles are a good idea-r1 ultimate bundle, Phoenix bundles, cassian bundle, kylo bundle. As real $$ is used EA doesn't mess with you.

meanwhile... packs are not good. Citadel/Lord of Hunger/Phoenix/tIE attack/R1 packs are all perfect examples.

EA should release more bundles and less packs.

How about a mod bundle? 6 of each shape, all 5* with speed secondaries, for $50?
  • From my own test, I spent about $40 on 5 packs (3 health, 2 potency)

For me - About 20% of the total drop were 5 dot mods

Out of that, 3 of the 5 dot mods came with speed secondaries. They were bumped to 18, 8 and 5 respectively (the last one was a 5 so technically it was more of a failed bump)

I guess there is still "value" based on my experience today - if you compare it to buying a couple of 2000 or 3000 crystal mods in the shop (not counting ancillary costs of refreshes).

But yeah, otherwise, it's not a slam dunk by any stretch unless RNG really favors you
  • UltimateSeaDog
    1689 posts Member
    edited April 2017

That is me. Regularly top 10 in PvP (with droids no less, if you think that a f2p could still pull that off in my shard full of whales, I'll scoff at you), regularly #1 in ships, regularly #2 in my guild raids. I've ONLY been playing since December 10th, and am in a guild that doesn't run heroics, and only recently switched to running 6 stars regularly. I am totally a Kraken/Whale. Don't want to get too much into specifics, but once you've spent thousands of dollars on a game in a few months... Yeah, that makes you AT LEAST a whale.

If it was a matter of pride, I'd be claiming I was f2p, not the reverse.

I started this game because several of my rl friends play it, and I saw how the game play reminded me of magic. I reached a point where I could leave my friends guild or spend money to progress as I wished. I chose to spend money.

I have been playing for 4 months and have a 7 star ewok scout that I barely ran any hard modes for. I have 15 7 star characters, a handful in t10, 1 in t11, and many in t9. As I said, I don't run heroics, I'm not in a top raiding guild. I'm in a guild that will take down its own heroics eventually and screw other people's progression curves.

My money spent is apparent in my profile if you have all the facts.

But it's easy to try to make judgement calls without all the relevant facts, so I'll forgive you your ignorant comment.

@Woodroward this is called a GUPPY, and I bet I spent more than you.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/usd/collection/

And to be clear, I am a old shard player but only started playing seriously from OCTOBER.