• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Thorozar11 wrote: »
    Bossk_Hogg wrote: »
    JinSaotome wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

Spoken like an entitled metababby.

Says the droid crybaby. "Mah droids! The same 6 toons I've used for ages! Why do I need to branch out?!"

+1

Like I said earlier, seems to be common among droid players. Same few toons their entire time with the game, all other toons barely an afterthought.

:lol: What a silly, ingnorant thing to think. I've been playing since Nov 15, have a maxed res and empire team and an currently working on a BH squad. What do you think I did with all the free crystals I've earned from investing in such a good meta-proof team :wink:

so why are you crying so much? ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    This is the worst idea I've ever read on the forum. The meltdown and mass exodus from implementing this would be epic.
  • leef wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

Says the droid crybaby. "Mah droids! The same 6 toons I've used for ages! Why do I need to branch out?!"

+1

Like I said earlier, seems to be common among droid players. Same few toons their entire time with the game, all other toons barely an afterthought.

:lol: What a silly, ingnorant thing to think. I've been playing since Nov 15, have a maxed res and empire team and an currently working on a BH squad. What do you think I did with all the free crystals I've earned from investing in such a good meta-proof team :wink:

Elaborate.
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    My proposal is this, lock gear and/or level behind stars. As gear is tied to level you may just need to lock that up. Only 5*? Then you can't level past 65. Or gear 9. I know the level cap keeps rising so this formula needs to be worked out. But it basically amounts to players having to work to make their characters usuable.

And what about all of those people that already have characters at 3*, level 85, g11?
    EA, you'll see people buying shards in the shop and refreshes to farm more. Those packs will be far more valuable if the game requires you to have your character starred up in order to survive. And people will be proud of their 7* characters instead of seeing everyone with the same unlocked 4* toon wreaking havoc on the meta because of their gear 11 protection.

Not likely. This is how other games do it, and that's fine for them because it's always been that way. But you can't make such a drastic change to how a game's characters progress 18 months in.

Aside from the feasibility issue, there's just no point. Adding a forced paywall will lose them so much business.
  • Wow. All this vitriol because the OP suggested an upgraded character should be more powerful than one that isn't upgraded. Is that really the dumbest idea ever? And here I was thinking the point of the game was to earn upgrades to improve your squad. Stupid me.

Maybe I should take that 1* CUP I never levelled and put him in my arena squad. No reason why I shouldn't finish #1 today. Unless there's some elitist paywall conspiracy going on.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    WenHandel wrote: »
    Wow. All this vitriol because the OP suggested an upgraded character should be more powerful than one that isn't upgraded. Is that really the dumbest idea ever? And here I was thinking the point of the game was to earn upgrades to improve your squad. **** me.

Maybe I should take that 1* CUP I never levelled and put him in my arena squad. No reason why I shouldn't finish #1 today. Unless there's some elitist paywall conspiracy going on.

An upgraded character IS ALREADY more powerful than one that isn't starred up. The bad part of the idea is preventing someone from gearing a character they've already unlocked.

There are already tons of players with mid star, fully geared characters though... the horses are already out of the barn. You'd have to strip that gear off and that would cause a huge coup from those players.
  • WenHandel wrote: »
    Wow. All this vitriol because the OP suggested an upgraded character should be more powerful than one that isn't upgraded. Is that really the dumbest idea ever? And here I was thinking the point of the game was to earn upgrades to improve your squad. **** me.

No, the OP didn't just suggest that an upgraded character should be more powerful than one that isn't upgraded. That is 100% true anyway -- a 7* g11 Ugnaught is more powerful than a 7* g2 Ugnaught or a 3* g11 Ugnaught. What OP suggested is that the three ways in which a character is upgraded (gear, level, and stars) be all gated together so it's all or nothing.

OP somehow thinks this will actually result in more spending, when it's a completely foolish idea -- the people willing to spend $1000 to 7* DN are already spending that money. The people who aren't willing to do that, but are willing to spend $50 or $100 on gear to get him to g11 won't spend if they can't actually equip the gear for some unknown period of time because he can't have it until he is 7*.

It also ignores the impact on the game's ecosystem -- metas will not shift at anything more than glacial speed, a percentage of the f2p players (who are necessary as part of the ecosystem) will be driven away.

There's no rational basis for this idea other than "more stars = good, so let's make less stars = bad." Hell, OP's complaint is based on the idea that General Kenobi (i.e., the hardest unlock in the game and the hardest gear in the game) shouldn't be able to be made arena viable until he's 7*.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

+1

You are an exception then. I have examined many droid user inventories on my shard, most have no other options, a few did finally farm sith recently.

No, the OP didn't just suggest that an upgraded character should be more powerful than one that isn't upgraded. That is 100% true anyway -- a 7* g11 Ugnaught is more powerful than a 7* g2 Ugnaught or a 3* g11 Ugnaught. What OP suggested is that the three ways in which a character is upgraded (gear, level, and stars) be all gated together so it's all or nothing.

OP somehow thinks this will actually result in more spending, when it's a completely foolish idea -- the people willing to spend $1000 to 7* DN are already spending that money. The people who aren't willing to do that, but are willing to spend $50 or $100 on gear to get him to g11 won't spend if they can't actually equip the gear for some unknown period of time because he can't have it until he is 7*.

It also ignores the impact on the game's ecosystem -- metas will not shift at anything more than glacial speed, a percentage of the f2p players (who are necessary as part of the ecosystem) will be driven away.

There's no rational basis for this idea other than "more stars = good, so let's make less stars = bad." Hell, OP's complaint is based on the idea that General Kenobi (i.e., the hardest unlock in the game and the hardest gear in the game) shouldn't be able to be made arena viable until he's 7*.
    Ok, I take your point guys. But the OP isn't crazy. He is pointing out that star levels make very little difference on many of the powerful characters, so there isn't a lot of reward for farming the stars, and there should be. Granted, farming gear and good mods is also tough and necessary, so why do we have to farm three separate things to make a character useful? And that is probably the issue here.

I guess the game made more sense when we had only stars and gear. Mods were added and made so powerful that you can just throw your great mods on any character and be viable if you have enough gear. And you only have to farm the mods once since you can transfer them between characters. Somehow the sense of building up a character until it is powerful has been lost along the way. You can just save gear pieces, have six strong mod sets, and then any brand new character is good to go, without any real need to level it.

Frankly, instead of the OP's suggestion, I would get rid of mods completely and compensate everyone for what they spent on the ridiculous things. Mods as powerful as this were a bad idea from the start.
    I guess the game made more sense when we had only stars and gear. Mods were added and made so powerful that you can just throw your great mods on any character and be viable if you have enough gear. And you only have to farm the mods once since you can transfer them between characters. Somehow the sense of building up a character until it is powerful has been lost along the way. You can just save gear pieces, have six strong mod sets, and then any brand new character is good to go, without any real need to level it.
    This isn't an MMORPG. You can level characters up without even playing them. You can gear them, mod them, and upgrade them without even playing them. If you spend enough money, you can raise a premium character from 3* to 7* as fast as your credit card will allow.

These kinds of threads just reek of the kind of "buff raiders, nerf & punish newbies, because ALL OF MY YEARS OF HARD WORK AT THIS JOB-- ER, GAME" complaints that always plagued MMORPG forums.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

Ok, I take your point guys. But the OP isn't crazy. He is pointing out that star levels make very little difference on many of the powerful characters, so there isn't a lot of reward for farming the stars, and there should be. Granted, farming gear and good mods is also tough and necessary, so why do we have to farm three separate things to make a character useful? And that is probably the issue here.

Frankly, instead of the OP's suggestion, I would get rid of mods completely and compensate everyone for what they spent on the ridiculous things. Mods as powerful as this were a bad idea from the start.

7 stars = useable in heroic raids

All the videos on YouTube of whales thumping the Tank with a 7*, Jyn, Nihilus, or Kenobi, and any future builds that require 7* pay walled toons are the reward.

Abilities > everything

Maybe that's a slight overstatement. It's more accurate to say that many abilities are great regardless of the toon's level of development. Anhialate doesn't care what gear your toon is. The power creep abilities of new toons that we can't farm yet are vastly superior to many of the old, busted original toons we've had at 7* forever. This makes the problem OP is upset about seem worse than it is. Thankfully the devs are slowly revamping old characters to the new normal. It's just taking some time.

Stars DO make a difference.

I just bumped my level 85/gear 11 Nihilus to 4* from 3*. I got a couple thousand extra health from that. 7* will add about 5500 more (all pre mod numbers) So yeah, stars make a significant difference as is, but they're only one of 4 aspects to leveling a toon. OP's suggestion would cripple every sub-7* toon to worthlessness, and make stars too important relative to anything else.

So for all these and many other reasons I think the OP is proposing a game destroying, and impossible to implement suggestion to fixing an imaginary non-problem. And while we're on the subject, I am not a fan of mods either. But if OP's suggestion is impossible to do, what you suggest with mods is more so. You can't unmake soup.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Don't like it whatsoever. The game isn't balanced. But then a new counter shows up. Gear is already a devastatingly show bottleneck. What a dreadful idea! Chain it to stars and not just level and you cripple the grind to oblivion. What motivated this idea for you?....... Trying to see how you can assure that you have an easier time staying number one in spite of the changing meta?
  • JacenRoe, I agree with all your points. To be honest I have a 7* Nihilus and, yes, it is clearly going to beat a 3* one. I wasn't serious about deleting mods either. We are stuck with it and I just hope they never add another thing. Zetas really should be the last.

I liked the game better when it was stars and gear, both were important, and both were realistically farmable without paying crazy money, but they took time to get and you had to make choices. The interest and complexity should be in the squad combinations, but that never really happened. We just got new, highly synergized pairs of characters that required payment to get, which isn't really a game to my mind.

• So what suppose to happen to everyone that has Baze, Chirrut, Shoretrooper and Darth Nihilus G11 and only 4*?

Are they suppose to just lose their gear? Should the devs put a cap on the amount of damage, healing speed etc just because they are only 4* and are in G11?

You used a lower star JE and moved up the ranks and currently you're using GK. Since you did it in the past now that competition is getting rougher...now it needs to be addressed?

You should already know how this discussion will turn out.

• lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    You used a lower star JE and moved up the ranks and currently you're using GK. Since you did it in the past now that competition is getting rougher...now it needs to be addressed?
    Now that I'm safely aboard... Quick! Pull up the ladder! :)
  • I'm glad to see people actually debating instead of slamming each other (and myself) with trollish accusations. Yes, you can't unmake soup. But you can use less tumeric and garlic this time around. I have five arena viable team builds but I prefer to play droids anywhere I can because that's what I like to do, even at a loss.

It's like watching your friends buying brand new Harley's every year while you sit and tinker on the same one, slowly making it best you can. Eventually people turn around and say, "Wow, that's a classic, you restored that?" And then I show them my shiny 7* gear XI Lobot/R2D2/Grevious meta combo and say yes, yes I did. And it feels so good.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • You used a lower star JE and moved up the ranks and currently you're using GK. Since you did it in the past now that competition is getting rougher...now it needs to be addressed?
    Now that I'm safely aboard... Quick! Pull up the ladder! :)
    So what suppose to happen to everyone that has Baze, Chirrut, Shoretrooper and Darth Nihilus G11 and only 4*?

Are they suppose to just lose their gear? Should the devs put a cap on the amount of damage, healing speed etc just because they are only 4* and are in G11?

You should already know how this discussion will turn out.

You can't ungear characters so no, I don't suggest retroactive action. I don't even know how to fix the star situation which is why I presented it to everyone here in hopes of feedback. Instead I have to wade through a bunch of ladder-yanking quips and higher-than-thou remarks.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • It's not a bad idea OP honestly. I personally would rather see a 7* fully geared then a 4* character in arena. The bad part is that the wheels of gearing a character up is already set in motion and as long as people have those lower star characters geared I seriously doubt Ea/CG would make any drastic changes like this. As someone said earlier..the outcome would be a massive exodus from this game along with an extremely agitated player base going off on the devs on these forums.

I'm even using a 4* Chirrut, Baze and Darth Nihulis in my arena team from a December 2015 server. So I wouldn't want this change to take place. Like I said it's a good idea..but to change this now would be a bad idea. If anything it should have maybe been like this from the start. Now is pretty much too late.

I honestly hate maxing a characters gear if I can't also use them in raids. I just don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars in chromiums to get them to 7* is worth it when I can slowly star them up once their farm is made available. I'm also probably OCD and that doesn't make the feeling of gearing up a lower starred character any much better for me.
  • I agree with OP that * lvl is basically pointless. "It increases health." That doesn't matter when they're attack is so greatly increased by gear/mods. It's putting a nuke in a paper cup. You still die. "You need * lvl for raids." So? You only really need 1-2 teams for the raid. That's beside the point. We're talking about PvP.

That being said, I agree that this is a terrible fix. It wouldn't stop p2p players. It would just create a larger gap for the f2p players to cross. I think a better idea, would be to have everything be affected by * lvl, including gear and mods. You can gear a new toon to g11 and mod them however you like, but with each higher *, the affect of those gear/mods also increases. And, you'd run into some instances where a lower * would still defeat a higher *, 3* g11 would defeat 4* g7. But, a 3* would never defeat 7*, because the gear wasn't strong enough either.

That's my idea.
  • +1. As a pure P2P, this is something that I'm more than happy to see because it rewards those of us who outright buy a character. I mean, if this process was up, I would have been even more OP when I got DN and SA to 7* out of the gate.

But I genuinely think this will hurt F2P players and simply grind the game to a halt because the meta shifts will evolve incredibly slowly. I don't think it's a good idea to do something that will have a huge impact on the playing field and the overall ecosystem.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    If something like this were to happen, it'd probably affect mods. Something like, the * level of a toon has to be greater/equal to the mod * to equip. Think of 4* toons only able to use 4* or fewer starred mods.

Mods are exchangeable so it could be retroactive. As far as gear goes, let players gear their toons as high as they want. Gear is gated by hero level and punishing to slow farm anyway.

With all that said, I think heroic Raids excluding heroes is already enough. I don't have a problem with 4* toons being competitive in the upper eschelons of arena. There are only a handful of heroes that can compete understarred as it stands.
  • This post is a troll post. Everybody calm down
  • why would you resurrect it then? just Stop talking here, y'all. Last post.
  • +1. I see no problem with restricting new toons that are 3-5* from being dominant over a team worked on for months. It's stupid quite frankly. I know the reason $$$$ as it's been done in game after game typically to entice spending.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    +1. I see no problem with restricting new toons that are 3-5* from being dominant over a team worked on for months. It's **** quite frankly. I know the reason $$$$ as it's been done in game after game typically to entice spending.

Actually this allows everyone to participate and make choices about new toons without spending $$$. The other way only whales get to use new content and f2p get an even slower pace to develop. That will put an end to the game.

Current "meta" has roughly 2-3, 3-4* toons. One of the more basic counters has no new toons and all but rex have been f2p for ever. And gk is a pain but he's coming out more and more to many players, and isn't totally necessary.
  • I hate this idea, no hate is not a strong enough word. despise, hmm, loathe. ya that works.

If implemented this would take away my ability to compete. My arena rank would plummet.

Can't believe anyone would want a system that says only 7 star chars are useable in arena. This would tip the balance of power so far into the P2W side that F2P would become increasingly frustrated and quit.

• War
    932 posts Member
    Let's examine this from my point of view a minute. My arena team is; zKrennic, zDT, TFP, Magmatrooper, and SHT, three of them are naturally not 7*. TFP is in my HAAT P3 team of course; but my Magma doesn't work for P3, so I'm instead running him under Veers, with Snowtrooper, in my P1 team.

I've spent a lot of resources on my arena team to make it viable, but because of star level requirements, I can't put those resources to use in raids. Star level is super important in the game, just not so much in arena, if you put in the resources to make a lower star character viable.
  • I like that things can get shook up and turned upside down it makes things unpredictable. I like that sometimes a character does not have to go to seven stars to wreck house. If everything depended on Rarity then even a 7* CUP would be boss. Sometimes some character just are better then others. Kinda like how real life happens. Oh & I would have to check my google pay history but i know i have spent no less then a thousand bucks since Dec 2015 and I still like that f2p guys can compete.
    -FightinPhantom 303rd/720th Mile High City
    191568986 Ally Code
    Phightin.Phantom@gmail.com
  • Bt_7274
    357 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

+1

Because all he can do is come and message me and threaten me
    discord:Darth Woodman#6467,looking for shardmates:Warrior ìN,skirge2000,GlideX,erykgx,harunalp,TDB,Kiwida,dyloot,pm me on discord plz
  • I actually like this idea, but only because it bothers my OCD to see 3 and 4-star characters mixed in high-level arena.