Help! I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Hi kids, I'm an 18 year old who spent most of her time playing puzzle games. I've never done a game like this before and I'm starting to get stumped. I don't know the lingo (I'm guessing PVP meanings player vs player?), I'm starting to loose brutally, and I'm feeling pretty lost. I have the basics of the game done, but I just need overall help.
None of my family or friends are playing the game and I'm not sure where else to go (heck I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right place).
Right now I'd appreciate some tips and advice for starting out and what's the lingo.
I know I sound like an old woman, so feel free to kind of spell everything out. I guess I should mention I'm a level 36 and i don't have any characters outside of the ones they started me off with. I don't have the money at the moment to spend on this game sadly.
Well anyway, I hope this post has made sense. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything (p.s. yes I know I'm a noob, don't judge me).

Replies

• Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    PvP is "player vs. player", which in this game means you vs. another player's team in Squad Arena. (There really is no true PvP here though since that team is AI-controlled rather than playing against another actual player.)

Best advice for the new player is to spend crystals on refreshing regular/cantina energy so you can farm shards of the best characters you want to add.

Right now most people would say the top ones to spend your shipments on are:
    Cantina- Poe
    Arena- Sid
    Galactic War- Lumi or Poggle
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Rolf wrote: »
    PvP is "player vs. player", which in this game means you vs. another player's team in Squad Arena. (There really is no true PvP here though since that team is AI-controlled rather than playing against another actual player.)

Best advice for the new player is to spend crystals on refreshing regular/cantina energy so you can farm shards of the best characters you want to add.

Right now most people would say the top ones to spend your shipments on are:
    Cantina- Poe
    Arena- Sid
    Galactic War- Lumi or Poggle

What does it mean to farm shards?? I've only been able to get past 1 cantina battle so far and I normally don't have a lot of time to even use up my energy. On the weekends I'm able to hop on more, but during the week not so much.

I've been working towards getting Ventress through the arena shipments since I already had some shards of her...figured finish it out. I'm kind of desperate for another dark side character since I keep getting stuck on levels.

Also what are other terms I should know?
  • Farming shards is what you're doing with Asajj.
  • F2P means Free to Play
    P2P means Pay to Play
    Shards are used to unlock characters
    Farming for shards or character means playing the same mission over and over again.
    Nodes are the mission... So farming Rey nodes, means I'm playing the same mission over and over to get more shards to unlock Rey.

You might some times see talk about the current game "meta" state... Meta means what teams/characters are most commonly played by others, the characters and groups you will most likely have to fight. When people tell you that you have to get Poe or so and so, that's Cause the current meta game state means everyone else has one.

No other terms come to mind at the moment, post some others if you are wondering about them, maybe we can help!
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Oh yeah also don't waste your crystals on the chromium packs ... Use your crystals to refresh your energy... The free Bronzium packs are the way to go, you get +10 or +20 from doing each mission, you will get a lot of random gear and 1 shard at a time but eventually you will get a character, I got a few dark side characters from the free bronziums which helped me start my dark side team... It just takes some time and a lot of opening of the free ones.

GoodLuck & May The Force Be With You

"You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • I would also recommend this Guide, posted in the Guides forum section: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/9401/it-s-a-trap-avoiding-20-common-newcomer-pitfalls-in-swgoh

It may help you avoid some of the commont pitfalls, as the title suggests, but it has a very compreensive explanations about various game aspects, besides valuable tips!

Have fun with the game!
    My favorite characters Empire - Sith
  • Okay, so by know you know PvP means player vs player and F2p means free to play and etc. Basically, there are crystals, gold, sim tickets, shards, and shipments. Crystals can be used to buy chromium packs or used to replenish energy. Shards are used to unlock characters. For example once you get 80 Anakin shards you can unlock him buy using gold, which is used to buy and gear/rank up characters. There are a couple of way to get theses shards. You can get certain charatcers shards through GW( galactic war) Cantina Battles and Squad shipments. To get shards through GW( galactic war) you must earn 400 war tokens you acquire by doing GW battles. There are two ways to get shards in cantina battles. You can use sim tickets you acquire by doing light/dark side battles to farm, which means to continuously sim a certain battle the character you want is in the cantina battles. Once you get 400 cantina shipments from farming you can get certain characters shards aswell. Getting shards through squad battles is simple. Once a day you will receive usually 400 squad shipments used to get 5 shards of certain characters. So you can get 5 shards a day of a certain character. And certain characters like Darth Maul can only be acquired by buying chromium packs. I would suggest using squad shipments on Savage Opress or Darth Sidious. Using your GW( galactic war) tokens on Luminara or Captian Phasma. And on cantina shipments farming Luke, Mace Windu, Kylo Ren, and Finn. And using the credits you get from that on Poe, Boba Fett, Qui-Gon or Old Daka. How battles work is a turn by turn process. The more speed your character has the more turns he will go. You must gear up and train your characters by playing light/dark side battles and make sure you acquire the gear the character needs. Training remotes are used to level the characters. You can acquire them by doing light/dark side battles and challenges. You can also get gear and gold by doing challenges. Lastly, make you sure you star up the characters you have so they'll be stronger you star them up by continuously getting their shards. Also, everyday you get a couple bronzium packs. Make sure you open them! I've gotten 3 and 4 stars from them. So yeah hoped that help. Have fun!