Shard Shop Exclusive Character later this month

Replies

• DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Why would they make a shop to encourage people to buy packs, only to deter people from buying packs and instead continuing to buy cantina/arena/GW shipments for shard exchange since the Exclusive characters can be purchased that way.

It's not as if they can't or won't introduce new characters for people to lust over, while making previously unavailable characters more easily attainable. They will be desirable for Chromium Buyers who will be closer to 7* than FTP, and they will be desirable for FTP who didn't have them before. Win/Win for everyone, who gets to star up the earlier toons, plus Chromium gets new toons to test/play ahead of everyone

It's not complicated.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Do we have any idea the exchange ratio?
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    No, it has not been announced yet...and it likely won't until closer to whenever they are ready to reveal who will be in the shop.
  • Thanks Jesse!
  • Job
    49 posts Member
    Thank you
  • LoveLoveRice
    182 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    It's not as if they can't or won't introduce new characters for people to lust over, while making previously unavailable characters more easily attainable. They will be desirable for Chromium Buyers who will be closer to 7* than FTP, and they will be desirable for FTP who didn't have them before. Win/Win for everyone, plus Chromium gets new toons to test/play ahead of everyone else.
    It's not complicated.

I think you do not understand. When you buy Chromium packs the most shards you get are for Chromium only characters. I have 2.5/3 7* Kit fistos 2 7*Darth Mauls ex... All 7* for each chromium character. If they add a shop where all I would have to do is buy refreshments for Sid/Lumi ex... the people who spent crystals get nothing. I like the shard shop for Node characters, so I don't have to use so much energy a day to farm Anakin/Rey ex... But as a paying customer, I look at it as a spit in the face. In the future maybe, but the game has only been out a few months.

Plus they literally just made the 9th Chromium QGJ FTP and you expect them to just move another one over?
  • No, I perfectly understand you, and on the one hand I agree...the thing is, nobody made you buy the packs to the point you could 7* an exclusive character. Did you think that they would remain exclusive forever, and they'd just keep throwing new characters into the store on top of the old ones?

As with every "hero" game in this genre and style, eventually they will wind up in an existing or new shop for the FTP group to grind out and obtain. Yes, it sucks that you spent all that money...but you chose to do so, the same as I did. There was never anything else to it except that I got to play with characters a strictly FTP person could not, and I got to do it earlier than they could.

That's the deal, that's the bargain. There's no guarantee at all it is going to stay that way forever, and any notion you had that was the case, I'm sorry to disavow you of, but it was likely never the plan either. At some point, these toons will be available for everyone to reach and you'll get to start the money grind over with someone else.

That's just how these games work. If this is your first app learning that, I hate that you found out this way. It's a hard lesson to learn.
  • LoveLoveRice
    182 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    No, I perfectly understand you, and on the one hand I agree...the thing is, nobody made you buy the packs to the point you could 7* an exclusive character. Did you think that they would remain exclusive forever.

Umm yes... at least longer than 2 months, especially since they just released a Chromium to FTP.

I haven't read anywhere that they were adding a chromium exclusive to the shard shop, just in a few weeks they are adding a new character.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Speculation, man. Call it experience in this style of game. 2 months is actually pretty long for updates. Some of these apps add new characters every month. 2/3 new exclusives to buy, 2/3 new formerly exclusives added to an existing shop.

You'll get used to it or you'll ragequit, but the game won't change because you threw a fit. They make too much money off of us to change their ways, and it's good for everyone anyway. Adds variety to the game. I for one am already sick of the cookie cutter teams I keep running into and I'm ready for some variety again.

So yes, they'll add more characters and move more over even though they just moved QGJ over. That was a freebie. You'll see it again soon enough.

Have been waiting on this info lol

I think it should be 1:1

You've worked hard / paid for it
  • A few weeks?
  • The shard shop sounds like simply another form of acquiring shards.
    It's not as if they can't or won't introduce new characters for people to lust over, while making previously unavailable characters more easily attainable. They will be desirable for Chromium Buyers who will be closer to 7* than FTP, and they will be desirable for FTP who didn't have them before. Win/Win for everyone, plus Chromium gets new toons to test/play ahead of everyone else.
    It's not complicated.

I think you do not understand. When you buy Chromium packs the most shards you get are for Chromium only characters. I have 2.5/3 7* Kit fistos 2 7*Darth Mauls ex... All 7* for each chromium character. If they add a shop where all I would have to do is buy refreshments for Sid/Lumi ex... the people who spent crystals get nothing. I like the shard shop for Node characters, so I don't have to use so much energy a day to farm Anakin/Rey ex... But as a paying customer, I look at it as a spit in the face. In the future maybe, but the game has only been out a few months.

Plus they literally just made the 9th Chromium QGJ FTP and you expect them to just move another one over?

They said that they would put more characters in Cantina and also Arena when they put QGJ in Cantina. I hope they put Leia in GW shipments. then Ewok Elder iscmy choice for Arena Shipments. Ill save you the trouble of farming Rey, because I face her at 7* in 2-3 of the others who compete with me for top 3 and she dies from AoE consistantly. She would be good if she could stay alive, but 9 times out of ten I dont even need to target her and she ends up dead long before her second turn.

Regardless of what happens, this game needs more end game content. I am not sure what motivates me to invest money in a game that offers at most 2 hours of play a day. Well, I have some idea but its starting to lose effect. I have been staying up late studying for school the past few nights, and I notice that by 1:15 I have exhausted the entire days worth of game play that SWGOH offers. Whats up with that?
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Do we have any idea the exchange ratio?

1:1 is the only fair/logical way imo. This gane as of yet does not differentiate in shards. A shard is a shard weather its rey or weather its an ewok. They all count the same/add the same/promote the same/unlock the same etc etc etc.

And even their current shop model has no diferentiation in shards. Its all always 400 currency fir 5 shards (or 125 currency per 1 shard, however u wanna view it) weather its jinn/sid or biggs lol

They are trying to let us know ahead so we can save extra shards, this is obvious, if its not 1:1, the backlash will be the most severe to date im quite sure
  • puppyCasey wrote: »
    Regardless of what happens, this game needs more end game content. I am not sure what motivates me to invest money in a game that offers at most 2 hours of play a day. Well, I have some idea but its starting to lose effect. I have been staying up late studying for school the past few nights, and I notice that by 1:15 I have exhausted the entire days worth of game play that SWGOH offers. Whats up with that?

You're like me. I work late so I'm usually still up by midnight, and around that same time all I've got left is maybe the last part of GW...ya know, the part that requires endless Retreating to get the "seed roll" right, after you've thrown your trash toons at them first. That usually adds another 30 minutes to an hour to the game.

The free energy throughout the day along with new incoming events will hopefully alleviate some of the boredom, but as with the Chromium buying...I have to remind myself: it's not their fault I blow through it all at once. I could space it out of I opted to, but...I have more important things to do throughout the day lol
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Please God, just let me get lando shards.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I think that people are going to be surprised/upset at the Shard Shop exchange ratio. Coming from other games, I'm expecting perhaps multiple tiers of purchases. For example, Heroes Charge shard shop introduced a character with 3 packs. It was something like 10:1, 60:20, 300:80....I honestly don't remember, but I know that they did have that last one as the big one where you initially unlocked the character at 80 shards, but you paid a bundle for it.

The thing is, these games are planning for long term. It seems like a lot of shards right now because many of us are still leveling up our stars and don't have that many extra. Eventually though there will be. Some of you all are acting as if you are owed that new character by virtue of playing the game...and guess what?

You will get there if you do in fact play the game....but you may have to sacrifice starring up another character as well. It's the choice you make, same as buying the packs.

If there were Vegas odds on it though, I'd bet money that it won't be 1:1....not even close.
  • puppyCasey wrote: »

I am not sure what motivates me to invest money in a game that offers at most 2 hours of play a day.

Wow you get to play that long? I get 50 minutes max if that, only because I have to wait for arena/event cds.
  • Thanks Jesse, love your work!
  • cby
    105 posts Member
    LandonAero wrote: »
    I started buying extra Luminara, Sidious and Jedi Consular shards just in preparation for the Shard Shop. :)

@EA_Jesse there will be other characters in this shop and not just the exclusive character right?

@LandonAero I think that was Jesse's point - there will be a shard shop coming soon and it will have other characters in it. But he is giving advance notice to consider waiting for the new exclusive character that will come later in the month before using all extra shards on other available characters.
  • Ohhhh ok thanks @cby
    | Level 73 | Power 28,729 | Rank #51-100 | Ally Code: 672-379-838 | Member of The New Rebellion |
  • Chromium Chars should stay exclusiv. That's the nature of these chars and that's wh people invest and invested money in them!

Cheers,
    Smite.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    @EA_Jesse Thanks for the 411. I am really excited and looking forward to the update.

Hope we find out who the character is soon and not the day of release

Why give people something else to complain about? It seems that all this forum has turned into is a complaint board.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Smite wrote: »
    Chromium Chars should stay exclusiv. That's the nature of these chars and that's wh people invest and invested money in them!

Cheers,
    Smite.

People invest in them to get them before they are available to the general public. After a few months once the new toon smell has worn off they usually are available to everyone while a new exclusive toon is available. It is the nature of things. Accept it and move on.
  • EM650 wrote: »
    People invest in them to get them before they are available to the general public. After a few months once the new toon smell has worn off they usually are available to everyone while a new exclusive toon is available. It is the nature of things. Accept it and move on.

I don't understand why this is so difficult a concept to grasp.
  • SaintEaters
    412 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Abyss wrote: »

1:1 is the only fair/logical way imo. This gane as of yet does not differentiate in shards. A shard is a shard weather its rey or weather its an ewok. They all count the same/add the same/promote the same/unlock the same etc etc etc.

And even their current shop model has no diferentiation in shards. Its all always 400 currency fir 5 shards (or 125 currency per 1 shard, however u wanna view it) weather its jinn/sid or biggs lol

They are trying to let us know ahead so we can save extra shards, this is obvious, if its not 1:1, the backlash will be the most severe to date im quite sure

I doubt that it will be a one to one trade bc that provides to much value to the player. I get that you want more for what you have and I do too, but I don't expect it to be that way and won't be mad if it's not. It's like your trading in your old car towards a new one. Do they ever give people the price they paid for the old car...No, never ever ever :-)

What would frustrate me is if it was some ridiculously low exchange rate. Hopefully that won't be the case though.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    EM650 wrote: »
    Smite wrote: »
    Chromium Chars should stay exclusiv. That's the nature of these chars and that's wh people invest and invested money in them!

Cheers,
    Smite.

There is no rule or law requiring this line of thinking. Some games have literal p2p exclusives, or ones that are way to difficult to get any other way, while some games limit the exclusivity.

No reason to accept it and move on...since we don't know 100%. Qgj is the only example, and how often that happens we have no idea.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Abyss wrote: »

1:1 is the only fair/logical way imo. This game as of yet does not differentiate in shards. A shard is a shard weather its rey or weather its an ewok. They all count the same/add the same/promote the same/unlock the same etc etc etc.

I doubt that it will be a one to one trade bc that provides to much value to the player. I get that you want more for what you have and I do too, but I don't expect it to be that way and won't be mad if it's not. It's like your trading in your old car towards a new one. Do they ever give people the price they paid for the old car...No, never ever ever :-)

What would frustrate me is if it was some ridiculously low exchange rate. Hopefully that won't be the case though.

Im not sayin i want anything or expect anything haha, i have lived long enough to know better then to get my hopes up about anything.
    I just think 1:1 actually fits their model thus far. As i said, all shards cost the exact same no matyer how good/bad/popular/etc in all of their shipments. A shard shipment i dont see being any dif (it may be much dif tho, we dont know till we see it).
    And weather I or anyone thinks it should be 1:1, im callin it like i see it and i see anything less then 1:1 will spark the most severe backlsh to date (calling it now). And if history teaches us anything, its that the crying will oersists and the devs will eventually have to cave an cater anyway so hopefully they just eliminate the bad vibes and hassle and do 1:1 haha.
    (Of course they could stand behind their decision whatever it may be and not cave............)
  • Abyss wrote: »

Doubt it will be 1:1 although I want it to be. Unless their intention is to make the exclusive characters accessibleaccessible.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    You go ahead and call 1:1, and then go ahead and call the backlack and the devs bending over to cater to the outcry when it isn't 1:1.

I'M going to go ahead and call it not 1:1, I'll agree with the outcry, and I'll call that the Devs will standby their decision and let it stand, just as they plan to go back to their GW shipment decision which is wholly in line with every other shop.

At some point, the Devs are going to get sick of the whining and the entitlement mentality running rampant here and put their foot down in a very clear and matter-of-fact way. They're making plenty of money and they'll make plenty more yet.

You can whine and threaten to leave all you want, but you'll be replaced by other consumers.

I'm very sorry, but it's true.
This discussion has been closed.