GG META Report Update - Highest Single Team Usage % on gg Ever?

Prev13456789
JohnnySteelAlpha
2794 posts Member
edited May 2017
---Removing older verbiage - I'll use this thread to put a bit of a historical log and commentary from the meta report on gg and update each Saturday if I can as long as it's fun.

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/

It's been interesting to watch this squad climb up from 12% usage a few weeks ago to now representing over 1/3 of all #1 teams on the site. That's pretty high.

EDIT: This is not intended to be a nerf DM / who's really meta regurgitated thread. Just curious where things currently lie in relation to the history of the game for perspective.

EDIT @ 4/16 - 3x cleanse Rex lead + DN squad now up to 39%

EDIT @ 4/17 - Now up to 41%

EDIT @ 4/22 - 3x cleanse + DN squad now up to 46% ... Rex lead at 36% to zDM's 42%...so zDM holding steady as Rex is taking share away from other leads. Also notable - DN usage in all #1 squads is at 74%! That probably will continue to go up.

EDIT @ 4/29 - zDM continues to lose support, although slowly. Leadership usage now down to 40% for DM - his low since becoming elite - Rex holding steady at 36% from the last update on 4/22. Still no notable 3rd leader - everything else 4% or less.

Other notable items:
- 3x cleanse / DN team usage % up to 62% as a specific individual team. A whopping leap from 4/22 when it was at 46%! I'm honestly not 100% sure what that means given the # of teams and the percentages not totaling to 100%, but the relative comparison with the next closest team at 18% is impressive. Also, moving from 46% to 62% - clearly a big trend in favor of that team's usage. I have 5 of this specific setup in my top 15 currently.
- DN is now up to 75% usage in all squads - a modest 1 percentage point bump from 4/22...that's a really high usage.
- GK is putting some distance between him and Maul ...47% usage for GK vs. 41% for DM
- Rex is scarcely used as a non-leader....of the 797 Rex used in #1 squads, 765 are as a leader (96%)
- EP's usage of 39% marks the first time I can recall him under 40% - he's definitely slipping in favor of other toons....good ole Rex has almost passed the Emperor
- Going to keep an eye on Chaze in this as well...he's at 36/35% (Baze / Chirrut) usage. I assume this will only go up over time as the own / build rate for Chaze across the game population increases.

EDIT @5/6

zDM's slump continues and expectation is for that trend to sustain going forward. Leader usage now down to 35%. Rex's up to 40%, so Rex continues to take share from zDM. Rex may pop up a bit more, but as zDM fades away I think we will spread to some other leaders gradually. DN lead, as it should, seems to be gaining a bit of steam as it settles in to 3rd at 4%, passing zQGJ just barely. Possibly some former zDM users saw the easy conversion to a DN squad and went that route. Regardless, he's a solid lead in a well built team - just don't fight Vader leads :)

Also as expected, Chaze has now passed zDM in general character usage. Baze and Chirrut are at 39/38% usage respectively, with Maul at 36%. DN still leads in overall usage at 76%, but that's down from a 78% number I saw at his peak. I believe some R2 / pure LS squads may lessen his usage to a degree going forward. We will see - he's still really strong generally. GK stands strong in usage at 48%, currently 2nd place ahead of Rex at 42%. As mentioned above, it's Chaze rounding out the top 5. Actually just noticed...that's your 3x cleanse / DN elite meta squad right there.

And.....BEEP BOOP BOP...our little droid R2 D2 enters the report at 8% character usage overall- pretty impressive debut and that # is surely going to go up in the coming weeks. I'd set the over / under on R2's normal run-rate usage at 35%. I'd think 25% at a min - he's strong, but we will see. He's got upside to push with his wide versatility and great skill set.

Team wise, the 3x cleanse / DN squad is still far and away #1, but the % is down a bit at 59% (309 count) - seems it lost some steam in favor of a Rex / Chaze / Kylo / DN version. Next closest Maul team is at 17% - zDM, Savagae, EP, DN, SA. The highest squad featuring R2 is at 5% (26 count) and features Rex L, Chaze, R2 and DN.
Post edited by JohnnySteelAlpha on

Replies

• Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    From the time I started, around oct of last year, just going by my shard, I'd say that would go to the wiggs squads. There's still a few that hang around top 20 but not nearly as many as there were a month ago.
  • JVU420
    429 posts Member
    Running Rex lead, triple cleanse. Easily the funnest and best team I've used. Does everything you need.
  • Much diverse this metagame is. :neutral:
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Much diverse this metagame is. :neutral:

Yeah looks like this one squad may push toward 50%? It's at 35% now and has been steadily climbing day by day. Without a major meta shakeup I assume it only keeps going up, especially since Chaze is just recently farmable to even construct the team at all.

I wonder when, or if, Rex passes DM for most common leader. That gap has been steadily closing as well.
  • Rex and Maul lead are both annoying.

I look forward to things changing.
  • Rex and Maul lead are both annoying.

Maybe some day the arena will be fun and interesting?
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Maul, sa, dn +2 is 41%. surprised that Rex x3 cleanse with Nihilus is as close as it is.
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    ... since Chaze is just recently farmable to even construct the team at all....
    @JohnnySteelAlpha
    I'm happy they are, and am the fortunate owner of 25 shards of one (hard earned in an ancient tournament) and 22 of the other (from that fantastic average 1 shard-a-day node). Or perhaps you're referring to the 24k crystals get-it-now-from-shipments bargain, or the few shards once in a blue moon in the fleets shipment?

Is it fair to say that any high-star Chaze I fight every day in my Arena have been purchased? Ftp (=broader) ownership of those 2 is still at least months away I think.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Rex and Maul lead are both annoying.

Maybe some day the arena will be fun and interesting?

Maybe. I still like my idea of 3-4 days a week there being 1 randomly generated buff and debuff given to random groups. Ex: Tanks get defense down and Jedi get Crit up. This way the best arena team on one day isn't necessarily the best on another day. Each day is something different and you need a deep roster to say on top consistently.
  • Tiggus wrote: »
    @JohnnySteelAlpha
    I'm happy they are, and am the fortunate owner of 25 shards of one (hard earned in an ancient tournament) and 22 of the other (from that fantastic average 1 shard-a-day node). Or perhaps you're referring to the 24k crystals get-it-now-from-shipments bargain, or the few shards once in a blue moon in the fleets shipment?

Is it fair to say that any high-star Chaze I fight every day in my Arena have been purchased? Ftp (=broader) ownership of those 2 is still at least months away I think.

I've taken my Chirrut from three to five stars without even buying every shard from fleet shipments I could. I doubt anyone has Baze unlocked yet from just the hard node, but $20 would be enough to make up the difference and Chaze is usable at three stars, so they are in reach of the small spenders by now.
  • Tiggus wrote: »
    @JohnnySteelAlpha

It just kind of depends. I'm FTP and I had Baze at 6* before the sith meta started when I stopped working on him to gear my Sith. It all depends on where people spend their crystals. If you spend them all on staring a toon you could do it in about a month. It's all resource management, and where people decide to spend their crystals.
  • @JohnnySteelAlpha not really. I just watch what's in my top 20. Rex triple cleanse seems the dominant squad at the moment with 9 in my tops. Maul now only has 6.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    I run something similar and love it. Rex(l), Chaze, Zylo and zDN. It's fun demolishing all the Zaul teams.
  • Thx for the responses and good discussion. I'll bump this ever so often as this changes - I'm curious now to see how far this one specific config rises. Went from 35% to 39% already since I made the thread just 2 days ago :). Rex also now has closed the leader gap to under single digits....42% to 33%.

I just find this arena meta to be fairly interesting as I don't recall such a specific head to head bilateral leader situation. There's not even a clear leader on what is the 3rd best as the remaining 25% is split pretty well (though I actually would say zJinn and DN are capable of building elite teams).
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    Tiggus wrote: »
    @JohnnySteelAlpha

Just sayin, I'm ftp and have them both 7* since the beginning of march. Sure it's extraordinary circumstances (won the Chirrut tourney and did the **** Shipment farm for Baze), but they're definitely accessible now.

And yeah, I've never seen the exact same comp used as much as it is now. At least with wiggs, there were other options to build a team around them with. But never the exact same comp being used by 35% of the registered .gg 1st placers.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • My Resistance team utterly destroys this team. Usually I don't even lose Poe, its a lot of fun :lol:

The only reason this team is so popular is its the absolute best counter to zaul. It's the counter meta team. Once zaul fades so will this team.
  • 4/22 Bump....

Rex closing gap, now at 36% leader usage vs. zDM at 42%...still little movement for the 3rd place leader - zJinn, zDV, Wedge, DN, and GK fighting for the scraps (DN should be higher as a lead, but seems he's not picking up steam).

Rex / 3x cleanse + DN squad is up to 46% - it's growth has slowed recently so it may be peaking? Might not hit the 50% mark.

What is really jumping out now is DN usage % on all teams....74%! That's impressive.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    4/22 Bump....

Rex closing gap, now at 36% leader usage vs. zDM at 42%...still little movement for the 3rd place leader - zJinn, zDV, Wedge, DN, and GK fighting for the scraps (DN should be higher as a lead, but seems he's not picking up steam).

Rex / 3x cleanse + DN squad is up to 46% - it's growth has slowed recently so it may be peaking? Might not hit the 50% mark.

What is really jumping out now is DN usage % on all teams....74%! That's impressive.

I remember Rey being in 81% of top 100 at one point. That's was the really stale era lol.
  • Zooey wrote: »
    4/22 Bump....

I remember Rey being in 81% of top 100 at one point. That's was the really stale era lol.

Nice! Some historical info to compare. Thanks. That will be something if he passes Rey in that era.
  • Watching the % change as you update it is more exciting than playing the game...
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    From July 2016 (The Dodge/Multi Attacks meta)

67% of people use either Phasma, Dooku or Old Ben as a leader.

-29% Phasma
    -19% Dooku
    -19% Old Ben

Most common characters in Arena teams (in % of teams they can be found)

-Rey 74%
    -QGJ 73%
    -RG 65%
    -Phasma 40%
    -GS 34%
    -ST Han 32%
    -Dooku 19%
    -Old Ben 19%
  • I just find this arena meta to be fairly interesting as I don't recall such a specific head to head bilateral leader situation. There's not even a clear leader on what is the 3rd best as the remaining 25% is split pretty well (though I actually would say zJinn and DN are capable of building elite teams).

I run a squad that can beat both The Zaul meta and The Rex meta: Zader (L), Zihilus, Zid, Zarris, Gk. Can this ever be meta? Nope, as it requires 4 zetas making the cost too great to ever gain popularity on meta reports. The Rex and The Zaul metals are common because they are relatively easy to obtain. TheRex comp requires 1 Zeta (nihilus), and the Maul 2 (Maul, Nihilus).

As a result, I don't necessarily follow the meta, as more than that, I want the best team.

PS. Jedi are neither good or meta :(

• I just find this arena meta to be fairly interesting as I don't recall such a specific head to head bilateral leader situation. There's not even a clear leader on what is the 3rd best as the remaining 25% is split pretty well (though I actually would say zJinn and DN are capable of building elite teams).

I run a squad that can beat both The Zaul meta and The Rex meta: Zader (L), Zihilus, Zid, Zarris, Gk. Can this ever be meta? Nope, as it requires 4 zetas making the cost too great to ever gain popularity on meta reports. The Rex and The Zaul metals are common because they are relatively easy to obtain. TheRex comp requires 1 Zeta (nihilus), and the Maul 2 (Maul, Nihilus).

As a result, I don't necessarily follow the meta, as more than that, I want the best team.

I like your team... a shard mate runs something similar (zylo instead of zariss) and it works great against zaul and rex teams
  • Startomsto
    926 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Actually assassin in there also works very well as it gives zader the speed needed to really make the most of culling blade... and when well moded she does hit hard
  • 4/29 Bump...

zDM continues to lose support, although slowly. Leadership usage now down to 40% for DM - his low since becoming elite - Rex holding steady at 36% from the last update on 4/22. Still no notable 3rd leader - everything else 4% or less.

Other notable items:
    - 3x cleanse / DN team usage % up to 62% as a specific individual team. A whopping leap from 4/22 when it was at 46%! I'm honestly not 100% sure what that means given the # of teams and the percentages not totaling to 100%, but the relative comparison with the next closest team at 18% is impressive. Also, moving from 46% to 62% - clearly a big trend in favor of that team's usage. I have 5 of this specific setup in my top 15 currently.
    - DN is now up to 75% usage in all squads - a modest 1 percentage point bump from 4/22...that's a really high usage.
    - GK is putting some distance between him and Maul ...47% usage for GK vs. 41% for DM
    - Rex is scarcely used as a non-leader....of the 797 Rex used in #1 squads, 765 are as a leader (96%)
    - EP's usage of 39% marks the first time I can recall him under 40% - he's definitely slipping in favor of other toons....good ole Rex has almost passed the Emperor
    - Going to keep an eye on Chaze in this as well...he's at 36/35% (Baze / Chirrut) usage. I assume this will only go up over time as the own / build rate for Chaze across the game population increases.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    I just find this arena meta to be fairly interesting as I don't recall such a specific head to head bilateral leader situation. There's not even a clear leader on what is the 3rd best as the remaining 25% is split pretty well (though I actually would say zJinn and DN are capable of building elite teams).

You shut your mouth.
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I you are confused:
    36% of rank 1 teams are Rex lead.
    62% of rank 1 teams are Rex · GK · Chirrut · Baze · Darth Nihilus

First off that is not possible...

I think the Meta report actually means....

62% of ***REX LEAD*** rank 1 teams are Rex · GK · Chirrut · Baze · Darth Nihilus

Meaning
    (36%*62%)=22% of rank 1 teams are Rex · GK · Chirrut · Baze · Darth Nihilus

Actually above does not jive with the numbers posted. 765 Rex lead teams 303 of the above squad=40% of Rex squads....
  • ImYourHuckleberry
    1421 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Mullato wrote: »

You shut your mouth.

Why respond to a comment from a week ago?

And shutting my mouth doesn't prevent me from keying in a response from my phone onto this message board. So not sure what you're goal is, unless you want me to stop talking at home where I never talk about this game. Or maybe stop talking at work, where I never talk about this game. Now that I think about it, I never actually talk about this game, therefore never open my mouth about this game. So again, why ask me to shut my mouth.

PS, Jedi stink.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Mullato wrote: »

You shut your mouth.

Why respond to a comment from a week ago?

And shutting my mouth doesn't prevent me from keying in a response from my phone onto this message board. So not sure what you're goal is, unless you want me to stop talking at home where I never talk about this game. Or maybe stop talking at work, where I never talk about this game. Now that I think about it, I never actually talk about this game, therefore never open my mouth about this game. So again, why ask me to shut my mouth.

PS, Jedi stink.

/s.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    I you are confused:
    62% of rank 1 teams are Rex · GK · Chirrut · Baze · Darth Nihilus

First off that is not possible...

I think the Meta report actually means....

62% of ***REX LEAD*** rank 1 teams are Rex · GK · Chirrut · Baze · Darth Nihilus

Meaning
    (36%*62%)=22% of rank 1 teams are Rex · GK · Chirrut · Baze · Darth Nihilus

Actually above does not jive with the numbers posted. 765 Rex lead teams 303 of the above squad=40% of Rex squads....

Op already stated the numbers don't match up right. Not sure who runs the site but that is probably the only person that can shed light on what the hell is going on with the percentages. It could be something to do with that about every hour data is resynced as payouts end. Again not sure but the % are definitely off.