Shard Shop Exclusive Character later this month

Replies

• Smite wrote: »
    Chromium Chars should stay exclusiv. That's the nature of these chars and that's wh people invest and invested money in them!

Cheers,
    Smite.

This is a Star Wars character collecting game. You can't expect iconic characters like QGJ, Old Ben, Darth Maul and Leia to stay exclusive forever unless you want to upset your player base. Chromium packs are for people who want to have multiple 7* character in a short period of time instead of farming for months to get one lineup of 7* toons. For instance, without crystal refreshes it would take ~130 days to 7* QGJ. Not exactly an alternative to forking of some $$$, but at least the option is there.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Either their will have to be a rarity associated with different characters (ie chrom only, cantina shipment, cantina battle farmable, GW shimpent, hard farmable, arena shipment would all have different values) or transmuting shards will have to have a pretty bad exchange rate. Say a hard only character is avaialbe in the shop, either there has to be an exchange rate between rarity types or all shards need to be worth next to nothing. As far as I know the idea is not to 7 cap a GW char and then farm that char to convert it into more difficult to farm chars. My guess is its a way to get rid of excess shards, not an incentive to collect them.

I'd love for them to create a character rarity system and actually have an exchange rate, and even an option to scrap entire characters and break them down into shard shop currency though.
  • The mysterious character should be Grievous who is the ultimate part which completes the new Droids meta to counter Yoda leaded Jedi meta.
  • I have a feeling the shard exchange will require an arm and a leg.... something like 100k? ... I wonder if it will be RNG of a sort on top of the high cost... So one wound up exchanging lumi shard for ewok scout
  • Molak wrote: »
    I have a feeling the shard exchange will require an arm and a leg.... something like 100k? ... I wonder if it will be RNG of a sort on top of the high cost... So one wound up exchanging lumi shard for ewok scout

OMG that would be cruel- probably what they are going to do.
    --Nud Stark--
  • Abyss wrote: »
    Do we have any idea the exchange ratio?

I think it should be 1:1

You've worked hard / paid for it

1:1 is the only fair/logical way imo. This gane as of yet does not differentiate in shards. A shard is a shard weather its rey or weather its an ewok. They all count the same/add the same/promote the same/unlock the same etc etc etc.

And even their current shop model has no diferentiation in shards. Its all always 400 currency fir 5 shards (or 125 currency per 1 shard, however u wanna view it) weather its jinn/sid or biggs lol

They are trying to let us know ahead so we can save extra shards, this is obvious, if its not 1:1, the backlash will be the most severe to date im quite sure

Lol yeah, farm every regular mission hard model, Arena, cantina and Cantina shipments plus GW shipments for heros where you vave already 7*, and acquire one new char 7* per week.

If this was sarcasm
    Abyss wrote: »
    Abyss wrote: »
    Do we have any idea the exchange ratio?

1:1 is the only fair/logical way imo. This game as of yet does not differentiate in shards. A shard is a shard weather its rey or weather its an ewok. They all count the same/add the same/promote the same/unlock the same etc etc etc.

And even their current shop model has no diferentiation in shards. Its all always 400 currency fir 5 shards (or 125 currency per 1 shard, however u wanna view it) weather its jinn/sid or biggs lol

They are trying to let us know ahead so we can save extra shards, this is obvious, if its not 1:1, the backlash will be the most severe to date im quite sure

I doubt that it will be a one to one trade bc that provides to much value to the player. I get that you want more for what you have and I do too, but I don't expect it to be that way and won't be mad if it's not. It's like your trading in your old car towards a new one. Do they ever give people the price they paid for the old car...No, never ever ever :-)

What would frustrate me is if it was some ridiculously low exchange rate. Hopefully that won't be the case though.

Im not sayin i want anything or expect anything haha, i have lived long enough to know better then to get my hopes up about anything.
    I just think 1:1 actually fits their model thus far. As i said, all shards cost the exact same no matyer how good/bad/popular/etc in all of their shipments. A shard shipment i dont see being any dif (it may be much dif tho, we dont know till we see it).
    And weather I or anyone thinks it should be 1:1, im callin it like i see it and i see anything less then 1:1 will spark the most severe backlsh to date (calling it now). And if history teaches us anything, its that the crying will oersists and the devs will eventually have to cave an cater anyway so hopefully they just eliminate the bad vibes and hassle and do 1:1 haha.
    (Of course they could stand behind their decision whatever it may be and not cave............)

Use the logic. Use the logic....

The EASIEST shard to farm is the EXTRA yard after a char is 7*. The appear in Cantina shipments, Cantina missions, Regular Light and Dark battles, Arena and Galactic war. Even in Regular Shipments. You just need one 7* on the 4 main places for it to become not just the easiest farm, but a powerhouse way to farm industrially. You could easily get 70 yards a day. You could 7* whatever is offered in less than 5 days.

I expect a 5 to 1 exchange being realistic, and a limited number of trades per day like 5 to 10 max per day per char. The Exchange is supposed to help get rid of extra unused shards and dispose of them , and likely also to boost spending. So expect to trade 5 free per day max and anyrhing higher will require lots of Crystals.

To imagine this doesn't require any law of physics, just good observational skills of the deivers, dangers and reason for a shard existing.

• d3gauss
    311 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    medetec wrote: »
    Either their will have to be a rarity associated with different characters (ie chrom only, cantina shipment, cantina battle farmable, GW shimpent, hard farmable, arena shipment would all have different values) or transmuting shards will have to have a pretty bad exchange rate. Say a hard only character is avaialbe in the shop, either there has to be an exchange rate between rarity types or all shards need to be worth next to nothing. As far as I know the idea is not to 7 cap a GW char and then farm that char to convert it into more difficult to farm chars. My guess is its a way to get rid of excess shards, not an incentive to collect them.

I'd love for them to create a character rarity system and actually have an exchange rate, and even an option to scrap entire characters and break them down into shard shop currency though.

The exchange rate would have to be at the purchase level. Excess shards all have the same value, which is nothing.

In addition just because you can get a lumi shard from gw does not mean you did, you could have also gotten it from a chromium.

Making that lumi shard intrinsically less valuable because of where it COULD come from would be doubly punishing people who get shafted by pulling lumi shards from chromiums.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    d3gauss wrote: »

The exchange rate would have to be at the purchase level. Excess shards all have the same value, which is nothing.

In addition just because you can get a lumi shard from gw does not mean you did, you could have also gotten it from a chromium.

Making that lumi shard intrinsically less valuable because of where it COULD come from would be doubly punishing people who get shafted by pulling lumi shards from chromiums.

If you create a rarity system? Not really. If you got Lumi from a chrom, you got a "common" character. It's worth less than opening say, Old Ben.

You ever play an old collectible card game? I happen to have sunk some cash into the old Star Wars CCG back in the day so I'll use that as an example, but same idea with Magic or Pokemon. Say I open a back of cards and I get a common Jawa. Its worth like $0.02. Then I open another back and get Emperor Palpatine, worth $50. Not all cards are created equal, and no one would trade me a Palpatine for a Jawa. Same idea here, it's not a punishment, it's the only way to allow shard conversions between characters without having a punishing conversion rate across the board.
  • d3gauss wrote: »

I think this is a very good point, and the only way to completely remove this problem is to put a system in place that automatically re-rolls the shards you get from chromium, if that character you rolled is already at 7* of course. That way the only way to obtain lumi shards when you don't want any more is to very deliberately buy her shards from gw store.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Wasn't there something about once a day and no refresh, so only 5 shards a day, thats 64 days for a full toon
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    No, I perfectly understand you, and on the one hand I agree...the thing is, nobody made you buy the packs to the point you could 7* an exclusive character. Did you think that they would remain exclusive forever.

Umm yes... at least longer than 2 months, especially since they just released a Chromium to FTP.

I haven't read anywhere that they were adding a chromium exclusive to the shard shop, just in a few weeks they are adding a new character.

As another paying customer I disagree. I bought enough cromium packs to have a 5 star QGJ among many other "chromium" toons. Once QGJ was made farmable I easily maxed him. There are a LOT of players like me and we aren't complaining about these changes as we can 7 star our characters now without blowing a house payment on a game. If you did spend a couple grand playing the game that's your decision but don't expect to have "exclusive" toons long. That's like saying those who bought the force awakens pack were slapped in the face as the devs put Kylo in Cantina. People dropped stupid money on that pack knowing he was farmable. I'm still benefiting from the chromium I've bought especially when the Jedi Challenge comes. I'm still ahead of the game and I'm gonna keep buying crystal packs.
  • J7000 wrote: »
    No, I perfectly understand you, and on the one hand I agree...the thing is, nobody made you buy the packs to the point you could 7* an exclusive character. Did you think that they would remain exclusive forever.

Umm yes... at least longer than 2 months, especially since they just released a Chromium to FTP.

I haven't read anywhere that they were adding a chromium exclusive to the shard shop, just in a few weeks they are adding a new character.

As another paying customer I disagree. I bought enough cromium packs to have a 5 star QGJ among many other "chromium" toons. Once QGJ was made farmable I easily maxed him. There are a LOT of players like me and we aren't complaining about these changes as we can 7 star our characters now without blowing a house payment on a game. If you did spend a couple grand playing the game that's your decision but don't expect to have "exclusive" toons long. That's like saying those who bought the force awakens pack were slapped in the face as the devs put Kylo in Cantina. People dropped stupid money on that pack knowing he was farmable. I'm still benefiting from the chromium I've bought especially when the Jedi Challenge comes. I'm still ahead of the game and I'm gonna keep buying crystal packs.

+1 Well said.
  • +1 also, but you won't convince him. I tried for a half dozen or so posts. Some folks are just going to complain.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Thanks for the info.
    Knights of the Mobile Republic
  • medetec wrote: »

If you create a rarity system? Not really. If you got Lumi from a chrom, you got a "common" character. It's worth less than opening say, Old Ben.

You ever play an old collectible card game? I happen to have sunk some cash into the old Star Wars CCG back in the day so I'll use that as an example, but same idea with Magic or Pokemon. Say I open a back of cards and I get a common Jawa. Its worth like $0.02. Then I open another back and get Emperor Palpatine, worth $50. Not all cards are created equal, and no one would trade me a Palpatine for a Jawa. Same idea here, it's not a punishment, it's the only way to allow shard conversions between characters without having a punishing conversion rate across the board.

1. CCG guaranteed you a certain level of rarity at least in every pack. With this a chromium pack could be all "commons".

2. All of those cards are made of paper, if nobody can use those cards they have the value of the paper they are printed on. You are ignoring where I said all excess shards have the same exact value, nothing.

3. The ways to deal with this are by making the shop no refresh or excessively high refresh. This allows a 1:1 exchange, it can't be abused, someone with a million shards and someone with 400 will 7 star the character at the same time, the one with a million can just keep going.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    edited February 2016

1. CCG guaranteed you a certain level of rarity at least in every pack. With this a chromium pack could be all "commons".

2. All of those cards are made of paper, if nobody can use those cards they have the value of the paper they are printed on. You are ignoring where I said all excess shards have the same exact value, nothing.

3. The ways to deal with this are by making the shop no refresh or excessively high refresh. This allows a 1:1 exchange, it can't be abused, someone with a million shards and someone with 400 will 7 star the character at the same time, the one with a million can just keep going.

ccg was just an example. Sure you could cap daily spending to 5 shards, but you could fix a second problem by having a real functional no cap exchange shop. If you can freely exchange shards, as long as there's a proper rarity assigned, it allows CG to nerf characters without anyone feeling like they "wasted" resources. You allow characters to be scrapped for a fraction of their current shard value, and for a limited time after a nerf they can be scrapped for full value. Then a char hit with a nerf has the option to be traded out for a char of equal rarity, and also has the added bonus of say you pull a char you absolutely dont want, you can scrap it for say 1/4 value and put that towards a char you want.

ccg was just an example. Sure you could cap daily spending to 5 shards, but you could fix a second problem by having a real functional no cap exchange shop. If you can freely exchange shards, as long as there's a proper rarity assigned, it allows CG to nerf characters without anyone feeling like they "wasted" resources. You allow characters to be scrapped for a fraction of their current shard value, and for a limited time after a nerf they can be scrapped for full value. Then a char hit with a nerf has the option to be traded out for a char of equal rarity, and also has the added bonus of say you pull a char you absolutely dont want, you can scrap it for say 1/4 value and put that towards a char you want.

I feel bad for people who get "blindsided" by nerfs.

There is no need to exchange shards if the character is not capped, it does nothing but effect the economy of the game negatively.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member

Even if you only get a fraction of the shards back on scraping it should make players feel much better about bad chromium pulls without really changing progression, might even give an incentive for more chrom purchases.

Admittedly I'm pulling heavily from Hearthstone's system, but that game is wildly successful as a money maker so it should work.
  • Do we have any idea the exchange ratio?

Highly highly highly doubt it.
    Some shards are easier to farm. The exchange ratio will reflect rarity.
    Do you really think you can get 15 Lumi shards everyday by clearing GW, and trade that for 15 FOTP shards??

Even if you only get a fraction of the shards back on scraping it should make players feel much better about bad chromium pulls without really changing progression, might even give an incentive for more chrom purchases.

Admittedly I'm pulling heavily from Hearthstone's system, but that game is wildly successful as a money maker so it should work.

Blizzard is wildly successful in everything it does, because they have the luxury of doing whatever they want.

Don't mistake being successful enough to do something with being successful because you do something.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member

Blizzard is wildly successful in everything it does, because they have the luxury of doing whatever they want.

Don't mistake being successful enough to do something with being successful because you do something.

Fair, although there are some real similarities between the games and both are leveraging beloved properties. Looking at another game that predates by about 2 years to see how they handled the same issues you are beginning to have can be... helpful.

I've gone off topic long enough, just wanted to pitch a possible secondary use for the shard shop. Excited to see the new character, thanks for the heads up Jesse!
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give a heads up that we will be adding that mysterious Shard Shop exclusive character later this month. I especially wanted to let those of you know who may have a large stockpile of extra shards. It wouldn't be cool if you spent all of your currency and then find out that there is a new character just a few weeks later after you've spent everything.

So, consider yourselves informed!

-EA_Jesse

Grazie, dear ^^
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    330 Lumi Shards = worth around 0-5$
    330 Ben Shards = worth around 2000-3000$
    (At the moment if EA they stay chrom "exclusive")

So 1:1 exchange rate? Ansolutely NO!
  • d3gauss wrote: »

I bet 1 buck this is NOT a ahard exchange but a shard drade in program. First all of, what's available to me is available to you - and not based on what people trade in. If it's this last it would make things so scarce and complicated as to be a failure.

The ayatem is most likely a aystem to turn 3 or 5 shard in 1 usable shard, possibly requiring some Crystals to increase trade per days. Most generous trade in I can imagine is 2:1 which would be a blessing - but don't count on it.

Now soeaking abiut entitlement - the extra shards are WORTH ZERO. They are useless to you. And they are so easy to genere (farm a 7* char anywhere). So don't expect much there. Even 20 to 1 trades are a generous iffer when what you have is useless.

Could they let you trade for 1:1? If they do, wake us up, we are late for work most surely!

• The exchange rate will be at least 5:1.

Could be 10:1 or 20:1.

If it was 1:1 then the whales would get the new character with plenty of shards left over, then they would be whining all over again about excess shards. There will also probably be a cooldown in the trade-in.

Even at 5:1, if the new character has endgame potential I could see a lot of people trading in their 15 GW shards for 3 shards of a new character.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    I bet the jedi event character will be Yoda and the Shard shop character will be Emperor Palpatine. Since shard shop will require extra shards that you already have, it's logical to contain heroes that already exist in game but with different outfits. Like Jedi Luke, Emperor Palpatine or Han solo, rather than new one.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Toolio wrote: »
    The exchange rate will be at least 5:1.

Could be 10:1 or 20:1.

If it was 1:1 then the whales would get the new character with plenty of shards left over, then they would be whining all over again about excess shards. There will also probably be a cooldown in the trade-in.

Even at 5:1, if the new character has endgame potential I could see a lot of people trading in their 15 GW shards for 3 shards of a new character.

If its 5:1 and has endgame potential, then i'll be sad to know that more than half characters in this game aren't gonna be seen at all in teams. Cause none will use shards for underperforming heroes and everyone will go for the new hero.
    I hope him to be a well balanced character that works best only if coupled with specific teamates.
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    A lot of people don't read the forum, so will there be an announcement in game to warn everyone else?

No.

Why?

Cash
  • A lot of people don't read the forum, so will there be an announcement in game to warn everyone else?

This please.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I see no way it could be anywhere a 1:1 exchange rate as was mentioned by a few ppl above. 70+ shards of excess shards a day is not out of the question. Now perhaps the chrom exclusive characters could have a 1:1 or at least a better rate than the others. That would give the ppl who spent money on these characters a little extra in trade in value
This discussion has been closed.