When it comes to speed mods do you match them?

Prev1
Example if i can get my speed up 70 but every mod is different, (one health, two speed, one offense, one tenacity) would you do it or would you match perks also

Replies

• Depends on the toon and the primary stats of these mods.

I mostly try to get all the bonuses but Speed is often more usefull.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Is it better to just farm speed sets
  • I don't care too much about sets in arena. Primaries and speed secondaries are my main focus. If I can get a good set in too without sacrificing any speed, I will. Check out the mods on my arena characters:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mozza/
    Speed absolutely trumps everything when it comes to arena.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    So it makes more sense to focus on speed sets from resistance challenge. Then you get speed primary and secondary, plus the set bonus.
  • Olga wrote: »
    So it makes more sense to focus on speed sets from resistance challenge. Then you get speed primary and secondary, plus the set bonus.
    +1
    Nope, not necessarily. My best secondaries are in non speed set mods, which actually, when combined, raw secondaries often come off better than speed sets with lower speed secondaries, plus you can use other sets if you don't use a speed one.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »
    Nope, not necessarily. My best secondaries are in non speed set mods, which actually, when combined, raw secondaries often come off better than speed sets with lower speed secondaries, plus you can use other sets if you don't use a speed one.

I agree with this. The time/money it would take to get speed sets that had enough speed secondaries to make up for the secondaries on my other sets (or mismatches) simply isn't realistic.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I'd like to see mods get adjusted so that the secondaries are halfed if it isn't a full set. Would fix the problem of mismatching mods simply for more speed.
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    I'd like to see mods get adjusted so that the secondaries are halfed if it isn't a full set. Would fix the problem of mismatching mods simply for more speed.

I would support this. Not that your or my opinion matter at all but I would support that.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    It depends on the toon, and the team. For some damage dealers the crit damage set bonus, AND primary on the triangle together make them devastating. Back in the day, if my Anakin and Lando with 216% crit damage both got their AoEs in then I was dropping whole teams.

For other toons getting their turn in first is all that matters. Rex, TFP, Sith Assassin and others benefit from getting to go first at all costs. If that means a hamburger set of mods, so be it.

Over time you can acquire more mods, and make good sets, AND have good secondary speed. But in the short term, figure out who absolutely must be fast to set up your whole team, and who you need to give neater mods to.
  • Speed kills, get that resistance team going. Currently building my for farm now.
  • Mods don't matter anymore. It's all RNG in zaul meta.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Mods don't matter anymore. It's all RNG in zaul meta.

Absolutely, totally, and completely false.

Take all your mods off, and fight a Zaul team if they don't matter.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    I'd like to see mods get adjusted so that the secondaries are halfed if it isn't a full set. Would fix the problem of mismatching mods simply for more speed.

Mix-matching mods for more speed sometimes is better but its a big trade off. IE. attackers with match crit sets that are just slightly slower than attackers with mismatched usually end up doing significantly more damage in a match. When you decide to go with a mismatched set just for the pure speed that by no means will guarantee you a win.

Take Boba Fett as an example. You can give him 100 speed in a mismatched set so that he gets his AoE ability block off. However once that is done if an enemy has a crit damage/chance set when he fires he'll be doing around 3k damage more per crit on his basic (which can hit twice in one turn) and hit crit damage on his special attack will have a much better chance of ending the likes of Baze. Doing 60k on his single shot against 45k is the difference between ending a Chaze threat and letting Baze survive and then build his health back up through all the bro-love he gets from Chirrut.

So I am fine with the current setup and wouldn't favor making farming mods even more RNG dependant. Ultimately I'd prefer that they just ended speed secondaries entirely. Let people farm for the speed primaries and then if they want an extra boost in speed force them to use speed sets.

• JacenRoe wrote: »

One game its a 5-0 , next it's a 0-5 against the same team. It's all randomness.
  • In a perfect world, you would get more speed using speed mod sets with high secondary and primary speed stats, but realistically, it will take you a very long time to pull this off, and would be more preferable and quicker to use just miss match until you can match. I always try and match, but I'm playing the long game. If I didn't have the match and just needed fast speed in my arena, I would do that; however, I've gotten to the point where my arena team has fast speed and match.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »

One game its a 5-0 , next it's a 0-5 against the same team. It's all randomness.

People say this about playing poker. In the long run, it's an incorrect statement in both cases.

RNG plays a factor in each battle - absolutely. But just like in farming shards, gear, and poker - the variance normalizes, the percentages level out and the better strategies come out on top in the long run.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Speed mods are probably the worst set value of all the mods, since the +10% bonus for a set of FOUR can be exceeded by a single good secondary.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

People say this about playing poker. In the long run, it's an incorrect statement in both cases.

RNG plays a factor in each battle - absolutely. But just like in farming shards, gear, and poker - the variance normalizes, the percentages level out and the better strategies come out on top in the long run.

Yea not really in such a RNG fest anything can happen. Your 200 speed ep can net a Dodge or two and can be running at 300+ effective speed while your 240 enemy ep isnt getting dodges/Crits and is going 240. All randomness. That's why all these new faces are showing up in the top 50 with scrub mods and under geared sith. Mods just don't matter much right now.
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    It depends on the toon, and the team. For some damage dealers the crit damage set bonus, AND primary on the triangle together make them devastating. Back in the day, if my Anakin and Lando with 216% crit damage both got their AoEs in then I was dropping whole teams.

For other toons getting their turn in first is all that matters. Rex, TFP, Sith Assassin and others benefit from getting to go first at all costs. If that means a hamburger set of mods, so be it.

Over time you can acquire more mods, and make good sets, AND have good secondary speed. But in the short term, figure out who absolutely must be fast to set up your whole team, and who you need to give neater mods to.

This. I run a full FO team, and I've modded FOO for speed since he needs to go first. I'm amazed at how often my g10 FOO goes before enemy Yodas, Reys, EP's, etc. It makes all the difference - people haven't put the priority for speed on their toons that absolutely need it, and my FOO allows Kylo to get his stun in and screw the whole team over. The lesson to be learned is to absolutely positively make sure you have your Sith Assassin or whatever toon you want to go before everyone modded for speed and speed alone. All other benefits from your mods are just gravy.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

That's completely untrue, and you provide no evidence to support your thinly veiled calls for a nerf. I'm sorry your droids can't beat the current meta. If it's any consolation Jesse did say in a podcast at Celebration that GG would be at the top of the list of droids to get fixed whenever they get around to giving them a faction pass.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »

That's completely untrue, and you provide no evidence to support your thinly veiled calls for a nerf. I'm sorry your droids can't beat the current meta. If it's any consolation Jesse did say in a podcast at Celebration that GG would be at the top of the list of droids to get fixed whenever they get around to giving them a faction pass.

As if I still run droids.. you think taking top 5 everyday since Nov 15 id only have a roster of droids? I just like actually having fun in arena and not solely relying on rng.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »

As if I still run droids.. you think taking top 5 everyday since Nov 15 id only have a roster of droids? I just like actually having fun in arena and not solely relying on rng.

The whole game is RNG, crit chance, dmg, Potency, Tenacity is all percentage just like evade chance. Zaul team just focuses on one stat, evade. If you don't like the old RNG table top root of D&D, then stop playing.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Yea not really in such a RNG fest anything can happen. Your 200 speed ep can net a Dodge or two and can be running at 300+ effective speed while your 240 enemy ep isnt getting dodges/Crits and is going 240. All randomness. That's why all these new faces are showing up in the top 50 with scrub mods and under geared sith. Mods just don't matter much right now.

That's not why new faces are showing up in the top 50. It's because the cap level hasn't been raised in a while. Whales and dedicated players who play intelligently get ahead when the level cap is raised. As it stays in place, F2P and players that were "behind" level and gear and catch up to the meta - no matter what it is. You've been playing long enough that you know this to be the case (and the reason) - so I'm not sure why, all of the sudden, you're blaming it on the Sith.

Incidentally, many of the "new faces" in my top 50 are running Zader with Zid, zFO and all kinds of different teams.

• Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Speed mods are probably the worst set value of all the mods, since the +10% bonus for a set of FOUR can be exceeded by a single good secondary.

That may be true, but speed is also by far the most important stat, so if you see it as simply an extra bonus for those toons that need all the speed you can possibly give them (TFP, Palp under Zaul, Yoda, Boba in some teams), then it's just that: a bonus. But yeah, even on TFP, the set bonus is only 17 speed, and that's the max you can get. I'd love me some 17speed secondaries, though. Regardless of their set.
  • For arena, speed secondaries should be the main focus, regardless of getting the set bonus. Most f2p players (including myself) competing in the top 20 just have their best secondary speed mods attached.

The exception may be if you be sacrafice 1-2 speed off a single mod to get a needed set bonus (crit, crit dmg, potency), or to add a strong prot primary mod to with help a squishy toon's survivability.

For raids, I've found speed secondaries aren't as important, and strong set bonuses (for crit/crit dmg/offense/potency) or strong prot mods are almost as important as speed.

The "dream" is to have all your best speed secondaries on speed set mods, but that's a pretty long grind and hard to quickly achieve as F2P.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Speed mods are probably the worst set value of all the mods, since the +10% bonus for a set of FOUR can be exceeded by a single good secondary.
    But all 4 of them can have good speed secondaries. Then they'll be better.

Believe me, the chance of getting a good speed secondary on a speed set mod is very low. I've never had one go into double figures. You have much better chances of getting high speed secondaries on other sets. Raw secondaries are the way to go in arena.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Is that so? I wonder which sets have the best chance of good speed secondaries then.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »

True - but that "can" is similar to the "You can drop an Omega ability mat in 8A cantina" - which is to say, .0000000000000000000001% chance. The chances of getting good speed secondaries on speed mods is very small - let alone a full set of 4. I'm with Dooku For Days on this one. For most non-whales, highest speed secondaries, regardless of set is the way to go.