Boba vs Darth Nihilus

I keep reading that DN is a better Boba. Is not that I disagree, my DN has 3* and only g8, while my Boba has 7* and g9 so I can not compare them myself, I just want to understand the rationale behind this claims. While they are similar ( DN cooldown steal is similar to AB and Annihilate indeed is a somewhat better Execute, although you can execute faster) I would think that Boba´s better base speed that can allow him to move first and block the enemies , and his resolve, especially his ability to ignore taunt, can outweigh, at least in some cases, DN´s dispel on basic. So what does DN better than Boba?

Replies

• From my experience, (my Boba is G10 and DN is G11), Boba is way more squishy than DN and can't take a hit very well, especially when you load up his mod slots with speed heavy mods instead of protection. DN is very tanky, even with speed over protection (mine is around 80k health/protection at G11 5*). The zeta on DN's unique makes opponents more squishy with 20% health down and you can kill them quicker, where Boba's zeta only recovers his protection to take a couple more hits. I'm not an expert by any means, but this is my observation from trying to use both of them on many different squads.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    How do you feel about durability if your comparing a 7-star Boba to a 3-star Nihilus?

I could pick up a 3-star Nihilus, but I don't know that it is realistic to get him to 7.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    the reason why nihlus is better than boba is how quick he can increase cooldowns, tankiness, better basic, and his synergy with the current meta leads.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    i have a 7 star, gear 11 Boba, his health + protection, after mods is about 35k. Primarily I've modded him for potency so his debuffs will stick

my DN is only 3 stars and gear 10, but i modded him for durability, and his health + protection is about 62k. I already use DN in my arena team. if i get him to gear 11 at some point i assume then he'd be at about 70k. so DN is much much more durable.

Boba's AOE ability block vs DN's cooldown reduction. DN's skill to me is just much better. with Boba, you might ability block someone AFTER they just used their special, so your debuff is basically wasted. DN's cooldown reduction is always helpful, even if your DN's not fast enough to go before their toons. Also ability block can be blocked by tenacity up, whereas cooldown reduction cannot.

DN's instant kills is more powerful than boba's execute, but will take longer to use, so i think that's relatively even

DN's basic dispels, to me this is more useful on more teams than DOT from boba's basic

DN's unique will help any team put debuffs on the entire other team when zeta'd. Boba's unique of ignoring taunt is good, but if only he's ignoring the taunt, he usually does not do enough DPS on his own to kill a toon, so execute might need to be used to dispel a taunt? seems like a waste.

Boba wins on speed, but has only half the survivability of DN. You can argue Boba when zeta'd can regain all his protection. That's true but you need to land a killing blow to get that. To me Boba's zeta is too situational, whereas DN's unique Zeta is always passively helpful to himself and the team overall

So I literally subbed out boba for DN a while ago, and i think it's totally worth it
  • I subbed boba for DN and I haven't looked back. The poster above put it really well.

-Way tankier than 2x boba lives.
    -CD reduction doesn't care about tenacity or tenacity up
    -Annihilate is 100%. Executes can be flubbed.
    -Dispel on basic is fantastic

Sure he's slower, but I find that the alpha strike actually becomes LESS important higher in the arena game. It becomes more about sustained utility and weathering the storm, at which DN beats the pants off boba.
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    DN is the best toon in the game right now. They have similar skillsets but DN's is better. Annihilate is guaranteed whereas execute relies on rng and dots. DN dispells every basic attack whereas boba has to use a special to do so. Not to mention DN has a ton of health/protection.
  • mlb1399 wrote: »
    DN is the best toon in the game right now.

He really really is.
  • I use both against Nihilus leads...**** near unstoppable.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    Thanks for the answers. I'll be saving up some crystals for DN.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    i'll add one more note. DN as lead is a direct counter to Rex leads. however the problem with that is besides himself, Siths lack single toon dps, especially once you take away the upward potential of crit damage.

still, I think DN as a lead might be fun to play with in GW, when i have some zeta's spare, at least.

of course i also want to see Boba as lead to do well, the issue here though is that we barely have any other good bounty hunters at all. I did start doing Credit Heist with an all Bounty hunter team just to mix it up. I have to say that's a lot of fun to see my gear 7 or 8 toons have a much higher health pool then they really have.
  • danflorian1984
    986 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I guess I need to bring Nihilus to at least g9, because right now, at g8, he has roughly as much health and protection as one of the lives of my g9 Boba, while being way slower:112 compared to 145 without mods, about 181 compared to 204 with Bobas mods.
  • M_L wrote: »
    i'll add one more note. DN as lead is a direct counter to Rex leads. however the problem with that is besides himself, Siths lack single toon dps, especially once you take away the upward potential of crit damage.

still, I think DN as a lead might be fun to play with in GW, when i have some zeta's spare, at least.

of course i also want to see Boba as lead to do well, the issue here though is that we barely have any other good bounty hunters at all. I did start doing Credit Heist with an all Bounty hunter team just to mix it up. I have to say that's a lot of fun to see my gear 7 or 8 toons have a much higher health pool then they really have.

I do have a Boba led Bounty hunters team in my shard that is constantly ranked top 10 and is surounded by Rex and Zaul teams. I personally cannot beat it with my EP Vader Boba B2 TFP team, I prefer targeting Rex teams to it.
  • DN lead with Chaze, Zylo and EP is unstoppable in GW. I haven't lost a single character in a month with that team. They all heal themselves and EP/DN essentially get their protection back each node.

I don't think DN as lead is super viable in arena but he's the best support character out there.
  • I prefer Boba with my team composition right now, but it all depends on what the support characters are and what you need out of him. Boba can ability block for 2 turns on a toon of your choice. He's faster. He does more damage. His cooldowns are shorter.
    DN at G11 is superior though.
  • Have a 3* G11 DN and a 7* G11 Zoba. I'm still using the Zoba. Rank 1-5 everyday.
    Mods are the problem. I suppose I could just switch their mods but I would get a lot less use out of Zoba that way. Also the need for debuffs to guarantee the CD increase doesn't help
  • DN was worth every penny I put into him. He's indispensable in so many ways in arena, GW and even in some raid scenarios
  • Under z maul lead boba is way too exposed as prob the only toon that can't stealth... dn however benefits from stealth, tm gain, advantage... and if you have assassin he can benefit from further tm boosts...