Seriously are we in the dark ages...

2Next

Replies

• Options
    ABNRAS wrote: »
    Ok now I am no crusader by any means, but I just typed the word 'gay' in igc and it got censored.

I find that completely unacceptable. Can this be sorted out please.

Thank the PC "my feelings get easily hurt" millennial people of today for the censorship we are now seeing everywhere.

When I was growing up my mother told me a story about sticks and stones and how words can't hurt me. I'm guessing their parents didn't. So they banded together to make the world as they see it "a better place". Basically you can't say nothing anymore without some sort of backlash or phobic added to whatever word they wanna describe you as.

It's so pathetic its sickening.

Al Gore did a study on words, and with using his science, words CAN hurt you.

Was that after he invented the Internet? LOL

Was this before the polar ice caps melted? :P

But for real though, I like that it has a filter. But it's a teensy bit extreme, for instance grape is censored because it has r, a, p, and e in that order
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    you know what i think about igc? ahem. ****************************************. awesome.
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Because people are more likely to use it as an insult than a reference to their sexuality

It also means happy/fun... ironically
  • Options
    I to find this hilarious. Additionall
    Ok now I am no crusader by any means, but I just typed the word 'gay' in igc and it got censored.

Thank the PC "my feelings get easily hurt" millennial people of today for the censorship we are now seeing everywhere.

When I was growing up my mother told me a story about sticks and stones and how words can't hurt me. I'm guessing their parents didn't. So they banded together to make the world as they see it "a better place". Basically you can't say nothing anymore without some sort of backlash or phobic added to whatever word they wanna describe you as.

^This.

I am a millennial, but I still agree with everything you've stated.

Don't let the failing liberal media coerce you into thinking we don't exist.
    Travelling through Hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy!
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Media is waaaaay less censored than it used to be. The only difference is now people try to be a little more aware of how their actions affect people. You should try it sometime
  • Options
    I don't really care about the filter, I try to refrain from using vulgarity in my day to day conversations as much as possible, so it doesn't often affect me until I try to type something innocuous like the name of Boba Fett's ship and it gets censored.

I also feel like it's a double-edged sword. Everyone, including little kids, knows all the big bad curse words that could be used, so when I see someone say "Man, that d*mb Rey is just so OP!" and I see "Man, that **** Rey is just so OP" my mind automatically fills in all the nasty words they could have said when in reality something very much PG was said.

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Because people are more likely to use it as an insult than a reference to their sexuality

It also means happy/fun...
    But hasn't been used that way in about fifty years. :|
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Yogi
    907 posts Member
    Options
    holyjoe35 wrote: »
    i'm glad they censor words. those kinds of words shouldn't be used and do hurt peoples feelings.

Ok snowflake
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yogi wrote: »
    holyjoe35 wrote: »
    i'm glad they censor words. those kinds of words shouldn't be used and do hurt peoples feelings.

Ok ****

c'mon yogi you need to be more ambiguous
  • EmporerIrenicus
    17 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If certain filters are removed, someone will always abuse it. As someone touched upon earlier, this is a game for all ages...and the more immature users WILL make the chat look like a cesspool of societies most ridiculous people.

It ruins the image of the game, gives off the impression that the developers don't care and aren't professional...and discourages children and sensitive adults from playing with said people. As well as parents letting their children be around them.

If you have the philosophy of "everyone should toughen up no matter who you are, freedom of speech, kids will see this stuff eventually anyway" that's fine. Not everyone will share your view however and generally...people are put off by a negative, insulting community. The real issue here are the people who originally turned the word "gay" into a derogatory term.