Weekly Topic: [Resource] Characters to Develop first

Replies

• I got chase and tfp from chromium without spending a dime now I'm level 57 and he is a beast so you get lucky sometimes.
  • https://youtu.be/Bb5VAz2-fyU

First in a line of many updated Beginner's Guide videos!
  • There's different priorities in farming and many different places to farm. What's best depends on where you're at.

First I'm going to make a list of what I consider the most universally useful toons in the game. The order isn't intended to be order of usefulness. It's a list in no particular order. It doesn't include achievement barrier and event gained characters.

Versatile Toons
    1. CT-7567 Rex. Great ship. Great on the Rancor. Great in arena. A cleanser with tm gain and removal.
    2. CT-5555 Fives. Great ship. Good on the Rancor. Great in early arena. Great on the AAt.
    3. Boba Fett Great ship. Great in arena. Useful for credit heists. Good in Galactic War.
    4. Biggs Darklighter: decent in arena, great when paired with Wedge. Great ship. Good in all raids with Wedge.
    5. Wedge Antilles: Good ship, massive damage dealer. great in arena, raids and galactic war. Best when paired with Biggs.
    6. Darth Vader: Great on the Rancor, Amazing ship. Good in Arena and galactic war. Good on certain phases of the AAT (not phase 1).
    7. Tie Fighter Pilot: Great ship. Useful for Potency mods. Great in a lot of early and end game arena comps. Excellent for both the Rancor and AAT raids.
    8. Stormtrooper Han: Great in leveling arena. Useful for credit heists, crit chance mods, Getting Emperor palpatine, and tenacity mods. Good in raids.
    9. Jedi Consular: Great ship. useful for unlocking Yoda and high level defense mods. Helps with the healer only challenge. Great low level healer.
    10. Lando Calrissian: Great in leveling arena. Useful for credit heists, crit chance mods, Getting Emperor palpatine, and tenacity mods. Good in raids.
    11. Qui Gon Jin: good in low level arena. Less so at higher levels until zetaed. Good on the Rancor and Phase 1 of the AAT.
    12. Geonosian Soldier: Good in low level arena. Easy to gear. Great ship.
    13. IG-88: great in arena up until the 80s, then merely good. Useful in credit heists, and for crit chance mods. Great on the AAT in a droid comp.
    14. Jawa Engineer: great in arena up until the 80s, then merely good. Useful for crit damage mods. Great on the AAT.
    15. Darth maul: great ship; great in arena. great in some raiding comps.
    16. Admiral Ackbar: Fleet commander. great in galactic war, raiding, getting Emperor Palpatine, & tenacity mods.
    17. B2 Super Battle Droid: Great in arena; great for galactic war; great on the AAT raid.
    18. HK-47 great leader for Droids for pvo until 80s. Great on the AAT. Great for galactic war.
    19. Leia Organa: Great on the AAT. great for getting Emperor Palpatine and tenacity mods. Great in low level arena. Good in end game arena.
    20. IG-86: Great in low level arena; great in the AAT raid; great in galactic war.

Getting those toons would get you quite a ways in a lot of aspects of the game without having to invest in many many toons.

There are other toons that excel in one specific area of the game:

One Job Dynamos
    1. Teebo: He's great on the Rancor
    2. Dengar: He's great on the Rancor
    3. Grand Moff Tarkin: You need him for ship ability materials
    4. Mace WIndu: You need him for ship training droids
    5. Plo Koon: has an amazing ship for a full republic fleet
    6. Ahsoka Tano: Has a great ship
    7. Geonosian Spy: Has a ship
    8. Poggle the Lesser: is good with droids.
    9. Talia: Your leveling dark side healer.
    10. Ugnaught: He's decent on the AAT
  • @CF_Jedi1234
    Luke is useless, and you have far better options even at low levels. Lando or GS are far far better options to farm from low level Cantina. Luke is a collector's item, and even in a full rebel team he is underwhelming. He's slow, vulnerable and his damage is nothing special. His stun requires a crit, and is on a special, and thus not reliable at all. GS is all around a better toon, and Lando is useful in too many parts of the game not to farm him. The only reason to farm Luke is because it's Luke Skywalker and it's a crying shame we don't have Bespin Luke, or RotJ Luke, who might actually be good. Oh, and Luke was the guy I unlocked as my free toon, so I know that even at low levels he's not that hot (and I even farmed Leia first from arena so they'd work together).

In addition, your farming advice is Arena store heavy. You can't get Leia, Ackbar, STHan and Sidious, let alone Asajj and Greedo as well. Focus on one of them (STHan, imho, as detailed above, but Sid is a decent option if you like dark side: high damage, good leader). Asajj and Greedo are novelty toons. They *can* work in certain specific team comps, but are definitely not all around useful. I'd argue Cassian is a better farm than either of them, not to mention the droids.

I also feel the Lumi advice for GW is a bit outdated. I followed the guides that advised Lumi first, and wish I had farmed Phasma instead. She's definitely not a bad option, and helps a lot in GW (which is a very important aspect of the game when you're starting: you really want to be completing them. If you're losing out on more than 1 in about 5, you need to focus on toons that help you more with GW, and ideally your miss rate on GW is once in a blue moon). Phasma is a good GW leader. She's also a decent low-level arena leader, and useful later in raids. Lumi is primarily useful in GW (although her AB does give her some clutch utility in low-level arena). And, imho, if you're not working on STHan from Arena shipments, you should get K2SO from GW: he's a beefy, reliable tank. More easy to nullify than STHan and his utility drops off later in the game (same as Lumi), but he has one big advantage, which is that he's mostly immune to AB, so if you run into problems with fast ability blockers (Boba) nullifying your tank, K2 is a decent work-around. I personally unlocked RG from bronziums very early, and used him until level 70ish. He was fantastic, but depends on luck to get from Bronziums, and(or) very dedicated hard node farming to star up. K2 is a good alternative, and daze is a very useful debuff.

From Cantina, Poe, 5s, QGJ and Boba are all good toons to focus on. I think Boba is best, because of a general lack of Dark Side toons early on for storymode and the extreme importance of credit heist (my first cantina farm was Daka, and she was even in my arena team for a while, but I would not recommend that route, because she's obsolete quite quickly). If going full rebel, Bistan is a pretty good addition. He's reasonably fast, hits decently hard, and has reasonable TM manipulation. I woulnd't call him top tier, but he's definitely more useful than Luke.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    If someone is starting a brand new acct, Lando, etc is not possible and won't be for a while. We really need to suggest teams they can realistically build. I have 4 accts, 3 competitive and 1 is my Padawans. I think if many here tried a new acct they would change 90% of their suggestions. Try to think of a starter squad. Farm Lando? You need to get that node unlocked first. You will face constantly running out of sim tickets, credits, etc.. Even throwing money at the game doesn't really help. Pack drops or worse then abysmal. Brand new accounts are going to require a great deal of patience. Temper suggestions with this in mind. :)

My big suggestion for CG, sell a starter pack - 4*, max level, 1* mods, g6. Give players a fighting chance. My suggestion for heroes is CP, Rey, Lumi, 5's, Leia. You'll sell a ton of them.
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Unlock the node? Lando is in Cantina 1-E... it's one of the first things you unlock.
  • Cantina unlocks at level 8 now, meaning Lando is farmable at the mid teens. He's the best starting cantina farm for all new players. He's a scoundrel and rebel. Two of the most useful factions in the game.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Lando is a great idea for multi utility and has come up in alot of the ideas
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • ThaosSkywalker
    10 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    delete this reply. Thanks!
    Post edited by ThaosSkywalker on
  • ThaosSkywalker
    10 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    because of multiple edits it got removed, so I pasted what I had saved from above in this post. It also got removed. Cleared this one to not repeat myself.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Acrofales wrote: »
    Unlock the node? Lando is in Cantina 1-E... it's one of the first things you unlock.

After reaching PL8 (to access the cantina). Then you will need to spend some time farming him. I just did, his shard drop rate is very slow. Then trying to * him takes longer. Yes farm him, but you won't have him in a few days. More like approx 1 month or so, to 7 * him.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/103683/finally
  • why did my reply get removed?
  • ThaosSkywalker
    10 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Wrote a complete guide on how to go forth and roam around 20-50 in arena, guess peepz don't want competitive players. Here's what i saved. lmao.

level 1

From the very beginning you should gear up the toons you start out with, but don't farm shards for the lesser ones. You should rather farm shards for those you intend to switch in. I tried to minimize the effort on the toons i knew would fall off mid game. That's when protection comes up and strong team synergies which outplays the starting toons. I spent sim tickets on hard nodes and when farming gear that I needed 5 or more of. Also spent sim tickets on cantina nodes in bulk. When i ocassionally ran out of sim tickets I bought some more in from shipments. Doesn't cost much crystals if you do okey in arena.

Starting toons:

Jedi Consular - farm Jedi Consular is great in gw and can keep up in arena to about when protection comes up. He's one of the easiest to gear and one of the first to get to gear viii. He falls off when most toons can get to gear viii

Royal Guard - farm one of the strongest tanks in the game, fast farmed, high drop rate in bronzium. The self-healing unique, auto taunt and basic attack with stun and speed down can really do wonders in gw. In the rancor raids he's used for fail proof in a teebo squad with the auto taunt and his speed down is really effective on the rancor.

Luke Skywalker - don't farm Great dps, but easily countered and too simple kit, stopped at level 50, 3*, gear v

Talia - don't farm Good early game healer before protection, stopped at level 41, 3*, gear iv. Can be viable some further.

Clone Wars Chewbacca - don't farm Sustainable tank, ok(+) in gw. Chewbacca is too slow and his kit is way too simple, stopped at level 31, 4*, gear iii

Ewok Scout - don't farm ok damage, simple kit, level 18, gear i

Clone Sergeant - put on hold good damage, turn meter manipulator, ok kit, level 18 gear i. Will develop once i start working on my clones for aat.

IG-86 - put on hold amazing dps with great assist, is really strong early on in the game, but I would rather recommend to focus on mid/late game goals. Early game is short. Droids are good in the raids and maybe with a general Grievous rework(?) they will become more viable again throughout.
  • @ThaosSkywalker if you edit alot it can be flagged as spam and put oh hold to be reviewed and approved.
  • ThaosSkywalker
    10 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I edited it a few times, my fault. Thanks for pointing it out!
    Thought my knowledge was unwanted ;p

the last post is out of context, but most of it won't be misinterpreted. Hope my original reply will get approved. Thanks!
  • No prob
  • Acrofales wrote: »

After reaching PL8 (to access the cantina). Then you will need to spend some time farming him. I just did, his shard drop rate is very slow. Then trying to * him takes longer. Yes farm him, but you won't have him in a few days. More like approx 2 months to 7 * him.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/103683/finally
    We get 165 cantina energy a day. @ 8 energy a battle, thats 20-21 battles a day.
    Character shards have a 1/3 drop rate, That's roughly 7 shards a day. That's 47 days on average to farm him from nothing to 7 stars IF you spend all your cantina energy on him and don't buy any refreshes. If you buy one refresh a day, that's about 36 sims and 12 shards a day, which takes about 28 days on average to farm. With 2 refreshes a day that's about 17 shards a day and should take about 20 days.

He's really not that hard to farm. Sometimes the rng goes against you and it will take a bit longer on a character, but it always ends up balancing out on some other character.

• Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I only know what my results were. Your mileage may vary. Another factor is sim tickets vs actually fighting. I am trying to focus on new accts, and give my suggestions for new players. Credits, sim tickets etc are in short supply in the early days. I think if many here started a brand new acct, some of their suggestions might change. But as with all things opinions vary.
  • Silky
    522 posts Member
    What about Qui-Gon Jinn? He doesn't seem to be on this thread as someone important to farm. According to Warrior from Team Instinct, he's the top priority from Cantina battle shipments.
    SHATTERPOINT - One of the world's strongest guilds
    Recruiting solid 3mil+ GP players, pm for info
  • zQGJ is great, and useful. Without g11 and a zeta he is too squishy.
  • Silky wrote: »
    What about Qui-Gon Jinn? He doesn't seem to be on this thread as someone important to farm. According to Warrior from Team Instinct, he's the top priority from Cantina battle shipments.

He should be your #2 target from Cantina Shipments. Boba outpaces his value as a Scoundrel and overall counter-meta viability. Between Boba and QGJ, Boba is the more versatile of the two in my opinion. QGJ is still one of the strongest and most useful Jedi. Critical for successful Rancor squads and priceless against Light Side Tier 9 battles.
  • I'm f2p and I'm working on a First Order team. I have 7* Kylo, 6* Phasma, 5* FOO, 3* FOST, and 2* FOTP, all at gear viii or ix. If any new players are interested in the First Order, I recommend you start farming them first, and supplement whoever else you need for your other teams along the way, because this group takes forever! Fortunately, you can farm them all at the same time, but the hard node farming is brutal. I'm obviously still a ways off from perfecting it, and I made them my goal over 2 months ago
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    One of the ideas coming from this and will be a weekly topic itself in an upcoming topic is effective daily play (energy, arena, shop) etc.

As we get close to the end of the week (thurs) lets start talking about best start comps

Best shop toons
    Arena
    Gw

Also, what would be good packs to buy to boost up? Have not seen alot of entry buy ideas as things like chrome boost a new player more than older established players

Thoughts?

Ps: love the idea generation and engagement here, also all your mail i am working through them but we are all glad you are enjoying the academy as we are to host it
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    One of the ideas coming from this and will be a weekly topic itself in an upcoming topic is effective daily play (energy, arena, shop) etc.

As we get close to the end of the week (thurs) lets start talking about best start comps

Best shop toons
    Arena
    Gw

Also, what would be good packs to buy to boost up? Have not seen alot of entry buy ideas as things like chrome boost a new player more than older established players

Thoughts?

Ps: love the idea generation and engagement here, also all your mail i am working through them but we are all glad you are enjoying the academy as we are to host it

The best starting comp is Wedge, Biggs, Lando, STHan, Boba. No doubt about it.
    Amazing in GW thanks to heavy sustain and powerful AoE with low cooldown, amazing in Arena thanks to the Biggs/Wedge assist that can take out 1 toon at the beginning of the fight.

After a while, their utility decreases, mostly because of pre-taunters.

Wedge is only available from level 60 (Fleet shop) or 69 (Cantina Nodes), so the best team before unlocking Wedge is Lando, Biggs, STHan, Boba and someone else. I like JC because his heal can save you and he's good in GW.

As for the packs, the consensus is that the only one worth it is the Droid Pack, but since they fell out of flavor recently, I would advise against buying it.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    FWIW, I recommend to my guild to NOT buy packs, at all. Use/buy gems for energy refills and gear ONLY. Pack drops are too sporatic and just cause players to waste valueable time and resources. Once they have 4 or 5 strong teams then they can indulge. Plus with very few exceptions, all heroes make it out of packs, and into shipments, map nodes etc. There you know what you are getting. Until some coherency is brought to packs, they are too risky. Especially for new players, all they will do is discourage them and in the end drive them away. Big step forward in packs would be to remove all heroes that are available elsewhere and make pack rosters the only place to get them, and have a system that checks for 7* already in your roster and remove them from the chance of dropping like in HoDA.
  • @Waez has it here though. To get started efficiently a player needs to go after a decent rebel team. They, with the Jedi Consular, will also form your light side team to start three starring them. Biggs and Wedge when you can get him. Leia will help win you in the Tank raid right up to "end-game"

As mentioned, to have credits available, you also need to be ready for the credit heist. Storm trooper Han and Lando will double as Scoundrels. Add in the very useful Boba Fett. Chewie makes an okay 4th for the beginning, and can help tank through early GW. Then IG-88 also does double duty of Scoundrel and Droid - as an option for later.
    - A solid Scoundrel team will also allow you to farm the useful Crit chance mods.
    - This team will also add in some depth to help you clear Galactic War

Rebels really should be highlighted as the best/easiest way to start. Yeah, you might hate them and want to go full on darkside from the beginning, or have other factions, but you're going to find yourself at a severe disadvantage. Plus, as you advance, you'll find other strong rebels you can slot in.

Whatever crystal syou have, from the game or buying, I recommend using this on buying GEAR for your rebels and scoundrels - when you see it in the store you can click on it to make sure the correct toon needs it.
    - do this rather then buying refreshes.
    - Your scoundrels will be bringing in credits and training droids
    - grinding gear is ... uh... try and buy it with the crystals you get.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • @Waez has it here though. To get started efficiently a player needs to go after a decent rebel team. They, with the Jedi Consular, will also form your light side team to start three starring them. Biggs and Wedge when you can get him. Leia will help win you in the Tank raid right up to "end-game"

As mentioned, to have credits available, you also need to be ready for the credit heist. Storm trooper Han and Lando will double as Scoundrels. Add in the very useful Boba Fett. Chewie makes an okay 4th for the beginning, and can help tank through early GW. Then IG-88 also does double duty of Scoundrel and Droid - as an option for later.
    - A solid Scoundrel team will also allow you to farm the useful Crit chance mods.

Rebels really should be highlighted as the best/easiest way to start. Yeah, you might hate them and want to go full on darkside from the beginning, or have other factions, but you're going to find yourself at a severe disadvantage. Plus, as you advance, you'll find other strong rebels you can slot in.

Whatever crystal syou have, from the game or buying, I recommend using this on buying GEAR for your rebels and scoundrels - when you see it in the store you can click on it to make sure the correct toon needs it.

Totally concur - rebel/scoundrel is a great foundation to have in the game. Credit heist, rancor, and Haat all have teams with that faction. Also palp is a better character than yoda imo.
  • If I could go back and do it all over again.... I would develop a Scoundrel team right out of the gate. Waiting on Scoundrels caused a credit deficit that I still have yet to get out of. Leveling 5 characters from 1 - 85 is really expensive: approximately 31,000,000 credits! This does not include the credits required to star those from say.... 4* to 7* : another 10 million for 5 characters? Add on the gear requirement cost for crafting and upgrading and you're well north of 41,000,000 credits.

Lets not get into Mods... OMG, when you want to start putting L15 mods on, your talking 30+k credits to take a 1pip mod and level it to 15 to max out the set bonus and a whopping 500k per mod with a 5pip.

Credit Heist is that important so invest in a strong team sooner and never worry about credits.

Getting five Scoundrels to gear 8, 5* or better, and L7 Abilities and Attacks for Credit Heist will pay back many times over when you start to focus on all of the other characters that you really like. Also, I have seen a couple scoundrel teams in Arena in the top 100 that hold rank and do a nice job.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard

Totally concur - rebel/scoundrel is a great foundation to have in the game. Credit heist, rancor, and Haat all have teams with that faction. Also palp is a better character than yoda imo.

We're talking 8 toons to focus on then.

Rebels
    - Leia, ST Han & Lando - no question (two of them are from arena store... so...)
    - Bistan from Cantina
    - Biggs (or Bohdi) from Galactic War Store

Other three Scoundrels
    - Boba Fett - Cantina and Farm
    - Chewie - easy to get
    And........ if you're farming Leia and Han shards... you can't also do 88.... No Raid Han... also guild for Zam, Dengar, and Gamorean.... And sorry, but Cad Bane is just the worst, Mob is terrible. Even Greedo and Nute are in Arena.

I gotta say , to the devs and community. To get a good start... there's not way to pick up that third scoundrel, unless I'm missing one.

The answer is Cad Bane, as the second GW farm, which would alleviate some pressure elsewhere, but he is so terribly bad how can anyone tell a poor new player to farm him when he can't even hold his own in the heist?
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • I like Biggs instead of bodhi but I get what you mean. Also helps with ships. I would say - get jyn over gam in guild for her to team with bistan. Or dengar first.
    Gw - Biggs
    Arena- st han
    Cantina battle - lando
    Cantina shipments - boba
    That should be the base and first toons to farm.
    Hard nodes - should be gear for said toons.
    Part 2
    Gw- teebo
    Cantina battle - wedge
    Cantina shop- qgj
    Arena- Akbar will be a quicker farm because of the ship events.
This discussion has been closed.