Down goes MAUL, Down goes MAUL, Down goes MAUL!!!!

Replies

• sjkerhfgdjhd
    1009 posts Member
    Reyalp wrote: »
    I use Zaul 90% of the time, but just switch out to Zader, Boba, Sid, DN and B2 to beat these Rex cleanse teams. There is no unbeatable squad these days

Interesting, I was wondering if a fast Sidious and an AOE dispel could make Zader usable against triple cleanse teams.
  • DarthApok
    277 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Just because Rex teams seem to be used more than Maul teams doesn't mean Maul Lead teams can't beat them. I pick a battle with Rex/GK/Chaze teams before I pick a fight with Maul lead teams just because it's an easier win without the RNG effect.

Please people use more Rex teams..you have no idea how easy you make my battles for me. I freaking love arena nowadays.

+1. The cleanse teams just don't do damage and rely too heavily on Nihilus. I run Maul, Nihilus, Savage with Chaze so I don't rely on debuffs anyway. Cleanse away, it means nothing to me. Sure maybe I can't stick Daze but I don't need it to win. In the meantime my Baze will take all the hits easily and just keep healing. That being said I've been considering swapping to Rex just to run something different. I'd run Rex, Chaze, Nihilus with either Boba or zKylo for more of an offensive threat. Don't have GK anyway
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    Arena these days: " how many broken op characters can we fit into one team?!???"
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Arena these days: " how many broken op characters can we fit into one team?!???"

If there are tons of OP characters, are there actually any OP characters?

Philosophy question for the day.
  • holyjoe35
    249 posts Member
    META = Make Everyone Think Alike

Lol

this is going to be the death of the game i think. i know i'm about ready to hang it up. all the dev's do is the good guy rebel sc um. this game has gotten extremely boring. i'm running out of areas in the game that are enjoyable.
  • SumiXam
    68 posts Member
    If there are tons of OP characters, are there actually any OP characters?

Philosophy question for the day.

11_-_ovwyeh4.gif
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    holyjoe35 wrote: »

Lol

this is going to be the death of the game i think. i know i'm about ready to hang it up. all the dev's do is the good guy rebel sc um. this game has gotten extremely boring. i'm running out of areas in the game that are enjoyable.

Huh? Good guy rebel scum?. the topic is about the bad guys finally getting pushed to 2nd in poplarity.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    I love it when people start debating what the "true" meta is, or better yet, what the "true" definition of the word "meta" is.

If we could ever agree on the latter, we might actually be able to have a discussion about the former.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Any wrote: »
    Kane13 wrote: »
    @Any. There you go bud. Zaul isn't meta anymore. Can't wait to read the rex threads you'll be posting now.

lol, Maul is not META not relate to this Rex now is most use.

META is best not most use,man

You just cannot let this argument go.
  • holyjoe35
    249 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    holyjoe35 wrote: »

Lol

Huh? Good guy rebel scum?. the topic is about the bad guys finally getting pushed to 2nd in poplarity.

finally??

yeah because the sith popularity was way to long *rolls eyes*.

Post edited by holyjoe35 on
  • danrussoa
    964 posts Member
    I just wish Rex was still only available via the chrome packs......
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Short of removing all special abilities and mods, there are always going to be some set ups that are the Most Effective Tactic Available, no single game I know has perfect balance.

Even Chess, the rook and queen are just better than the pawn, and it's reflected by scarcity - not too different here, Chaze is behind a paywall and GK is hard to obtain.

Best just accept that this is the nature of the game, try to stay one step ahead or plan around the META, expecting parity and hoping that your choices are always the correct ones is just going to end in disappointment.

• tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    danrussoa wrote: »

As do I, it was fun being the only Rex user in my arena shard
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • danrussoa
    964 posts Member
    tRRRey wrote: »

I wasn't the only Rex, but it required no effort to stay top ten. Top four was hard due to collusion. The participation-toon era of this game sucks. Get back to haves and have nots already anat.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    tRRRey wrote: »

I wasn't the only Rex, but it required no effort to stay top ten. Top four was hard due to collusion. The participation-toon era of this game sucks. Get back to haves and have nots already anat.

Lol. Never one to hold back.
  • MelBotes
    29 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Big deal?
    It's a cycle. Arena is still 'maul and his counter' the 'counter' has just gained some steam in popularity. It's just a result of people band wagoning on rex to counter maul. Soon, the fo, res, and Jedi squads will start emerging and will knock the rex teams down. Those rex teams will then switch back to their zaul teams and retake their spots. Back to zaul being #1. Give it a few weeks.

No. This cycle you are referring to has never happened since the release of the game.
  • SumiXam
    68 posts Member

Poor you...
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    How god it worked using your favorite non rebel teams against wiggs, and later R1 rebels, and that before Zaul? How good you think they will work against the future Wiggs R2 Chaze future meta ?
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    @Any. There you go bud. Zaul isn't meta anymore. Can't wait to read the rex threads you'll be posting now.

That's because he is correct. META is an acronym for Most Effective Tactic Available.
    If 18/20 teams are Zaul, then Rex is META because he's the most effective lead to beat Zaul with.

META doesn't mean the most used composition, it is the best composition. People continuously misuse this acronym on these forums.

• Woodroward wrote: »
    How god it worked using your favorite non rebel teams against wiggs, and later R1 rebels, and that before Zaul? How good you think they will work against the future Wiggs R2 Chaze future meta ?
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

That's because he is correct. META is an acronym for Most Effective Tactic Available.
    If 18/20 teams are Zaul, then Rex is META because he's the most effective lead to beat Zaul with.

META doesn't mean the most used composition, it is the best composition. People continuously misuse this acronym on these forums.

I've been using the term meta, and have for some time now, as a synonym for best or elite. In gaming that's really just what it's come to be understood as. Idk.

Also...the wheels are coming off pretty quick for Maul. As of today's report, Rex now at 40%, Maul down to 37% - Rex opening up a can of whooparse....Also notable, as expected given the farmability recently, Baze has passed Maul in character usage. Chirrut is right behind and may even drop Maul to 6th by tomorrow. I don't see any reason to think this trend changes - Chaze will continue to increase share as will GK since they are longer-term farm goals for the broader playing base.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Also...the wheels are coming off pretty quick for Maul. As of today's report, Rex now at 40%, Maul down to 37% - Rex opening up a can of whooparse....Also notable, as expected given the farmability recently, Baze has passed Maul in character usage. Chirrut is right behind and may even drop Maul to 6th by tomorrow. I don't see any reason to think this trend changes - Chaze will continue to increase share as will GK since they are longer-term farm goals for the broader playing base.
    132/145 on (my) GK ... ;)
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • SumiXam
    68 posts Member

I am getting slightly annoyed by people using skewed data to make a point and not acknowledging that fact. This report is based off of data captured at a single point in time during the day and only uses data from the small number of players registered there. There are multiple payouts during the day, so the data in the "meta" report is decidedly skewed.

I know my rank on swgoh.gg rarely matches my rank at payout, as I'm sure it's the case for many other players with active, highly competitive shards.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    SumiXam wrote: »

I am getting slightly annoyed by people using skewed data to make a point and not acknowledging that fact. This report is based off of data captured at a single point in time during the day and only uses data from the small number of players registered there. There are multiple payouts during the day, so the data in the "meta" report is decidedly skewed.

I know my rank on swgoh.gg rarely matches my rank at payout, as I'm sure it's the case for many other players with active, highly competitive shards.
    Who isn't acknowledging that fact? Nobody thinks swgoh.gg is a 100% correct, it's just the most credible source of information available.
    I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't use 1 point in time during the day, but the timezone on the account to calculate rank for the meta-report. So it's possible for 2 players on the same leaderboard, with different pay-out times, to both be registered #1. Two guys on my leaderboard both are ranked #1 on their swgoh profile for the last couple of days.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't use 1 point in time during the day, but the timezone on the account to calculate rank for the meta-report. So it's possible for 2 players on the same leaderboard, with different pay-out times, to both be registered #1. Two guys on my leaderboard both are ranked #1 on their swgoh profile for the last couple of days.
    I dont use this tool, but i think to remember, that you (as a player) have to manually synchronize your games status to your swgoh-profile ... means, of corse, ppl will synchronize close to payout, when they are ranked as high as possible (probably even before or after payout, without being at this rank at payout itselfs :) ). Guess you can synchronize more often then just 1 time a day, no clue what rank then counts ...
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Achilles wrote: »
    I dont use this tool, but i think to remember, that you (as a player) have to manually synchronize your games status to your swgoh-profile ... means, of corse, ppl will synchronize close to payout, when they are ranked as high as possible (probably even before or after payout, without being at this rank at payout itselfs :) ). Guess you can synchronize more often then just 1 time a day, no clue what rank then counts ...

It auto-syncs everyday given that you marked your payout truely. You can manually sync but it will only sync your arena ranking at your set payout (with a few minutes margin). Imho it's still a way better tool than our own anectodal "my arena is like this" statistics. My choice to develop opinion about ongoing meta is checking top 10 instead of 1, way larger sample size and not as much prone to swgoh.gg update margin

Post edited by No_Try on
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Achilles wrote: »

it automatically updates my rank @ pay-out. Syncing manually has no influence on my rank for that day, or for my average rank shown in the main screen.
    It does show current rank after you synced manually, but that rank gets replaced once i get my pay-out today.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/leef/ i synced in between pay-outs when i was #12, shown in the top left under my name, but not in the main screen.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    kk :) Lesson learnt
    Left by design.
  • SumiXam
    68 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Who isn't acknowledging that fact? Nobody thinks swgoh.gg is a 100% correct, it's just the most credible source of information available.

Quoting the meta report as irrefutable truth is in fact not acknowledging that fact. People are interpreting a report without understanding the source. The same data can be made to appear to report vastly different results depending on how it is presented. There is little transparency into how these reports are generated and while they are interesting to get a general idea, focusing on narrow segments, like 1st place leaders, only increases the percent error because the data set is already skewed.

I have experimented with placing differently throughout the day and I'm fairly certain there is a narrow window of time when the data is pulled. How close are the payouts of the players you mentioned? If they're within an hour of each other, I can see there being overlap depending on how the data is pulled.

All I am saying is that with an already small sample size of players registered on swgoh.gg, reporting metrics on an even smaller sample of that data is, by definition, skewed. I finish somewhere in the top 3 nearly every day, yet my rank on swgoh.gg doesn't reflect that because they pull their data several hours after my payout and I've usually been bumped a few ranks by then.
  • Mewingloki
    515 posts Member
    It definitely syncs within minutes of your respective payout time. I've had a day where I finished 4th for actual payout but was being attacked at the same time. I was moved to 8th 3 minutes after payout and swgoh.gg recorded my finish as 8th that day. If you hover over the recordings they show a teimstamp. Mine is recorded at exactly 7:03 pm CST everyday (3 minutes after payout). One of my shard buddy's page shows his being recorded at 12:02 pm CST everyday. So there is a small margin of error in which your actual paid rewards might not line up with the site if someone was trying to snipe you. Beyond that though, it syncs us for our respective payouts and we can both sport a "1st place" finish for the same day on swgoh.gg.

The math on the actual percentages has been show to be way off though in other threads. The numbers add up to more than 100% lol....
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    SumiXam wrote: »

Quoting the meta report as irrefutable truth is in fact not acknowledging that fact. People are interpreting a report without understanding the source. The same data can be made to appear to report vastly different results depending on how it is presented. There is little transparency into how these reports are generated and while they are interesting to get a general idea, focusing on narrow segments, like 1st place leaders, only increases the percent error because the data set is already skewed.

I have experimented with placing differently throughout the day and I'm fairly certain there is a narrow window of time when the data is pulled. How close are the payouts of the players you mentioned? If they're within an hour of each other, I can see there being overlap depending on how the data is pulled.

All I am saying is that with an already small sample size of players registered on swgoh.gg, reporting metrics on an even smaller sample of that data is, by definition, skewed. I finish somewhere in the top 3 nearly every day, yet my rank on swgoh.gg doesn't reflect that because they pull their data several hours after my payout and I've usually been bumped a few ranks by then.

Entering your timezone on your swgoh.gg profile should do the trick.
    If you're interrested in finding out what point in time swgoh.gg uses to determine your rank for that day, you can view "last updated" at the op of the page (if you didn't manually sync in the last 24 hours). This might be the exact same time, regardless of timezone, for everyone who didn't enter their timezone.

anyway, i watch the meta report from time to time and trents can easely be spotted. #1 addapts early, followed by #1 - #10 and #1 - #100 moves at a snale's pace. So basing a farming decision on what's domininant at #1 is usually a smart call. It being a bit skewed doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.
  • SumiXam wrote: »

Lighten up sir....It's just fun to look at. Everyone is aware there are flaws in the source, but trends in general can be informative. Also, 2000 samples is a pretty good size to draw reasonable estimates from.