Has Disney disrespected Lucas.

13Next

Replies

• For 4 billion dollars they could disrespectful me all they want.

FYI, he gave all the money to charity. :)
  • Rather than spend a bunch of time going over what I hate about them, I'll just point out the Plinkett reviews, and leave it at that.

:D

While those videos are absolutely hilarious and quite entertaining, they are in no way "reviews".

They tear apart the movies piece by peace while beating it with a stick. Any movie can be picked apart and attacked based on his method of "reviewing". A better word for it would be nitpicking.

I'd rather read a logical and well-reasoned review from someone like Roger Edbert (who mind you, gave both The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith 3.5/4 stars).

Do the prequels have their flaws? Yes of course. Are people allowed to hate them? Of course, no movie is exempt from critisism. But does that make them inherently bad movies? No, not in the slightest.

There's no such thing as objectivity when discussing these things, I'll grant you. I'd even agree that it's unfair to state that the things wrong with the prequels are beyond opinion. That being said, I do feel that a lot of the criticisms were fair, and again, I'd prefer to leave it at that. If you'd like to have a more direct discussion of the merits and flaws of the prequels, please either open a new thread or PM me.

I am glad you brought up Ebert's reviews, though. I went and pulled them back up. He lets the plot go entirely. He doesn't focus on the flaws at all, preferring to gush over the spectacle from the new technologies shown. It's not the old "turn your brain off" defense that's often trotted out for, say, The Transformers movies, but it's pretty close.

The reason I'm pointing this out is not to impugn Ebert's opinion. Far from it, I think he is one of the greatest minds not only to critique, but to speak on the subject of film itself. In TPM, he didn't give the plot the same magnification that he might've to, say, a Coen brothers film.
    At the risk of offending devotees of the Force, I will say that the stories of the "Star Wars" movies have always been space operas, and that the importance of the movies comes from their energy, their sense of fun, their colorful inventions and their state-of-the-art special effects. I do not attend with the hope of gaining insights into human behavior. Unlike many movies, these are made to be looked at more than listened to, and George Lucas and his collaborators have filled "The Phantom Menace" with wonderful visuals.

The point I'm making here is I think Ebert would've loved TPM for the same reason that he defends the prequels, and the same reason I spoke of previously. The superweapon plot is just a backdrop, a hollow motif to set the stage for the new characters to take our hearts and imaginations. If you're not willing to let it be unoriginal so it can be entertaining, then you're gonna have a bad time.
  • PardeyGirL
    193 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    The Secret History of StarWars

fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

If i was Disney, I would locate Marcia, offer her anything she wanted to advise director & head of editors dept for the next movie .....!

Return the Magic the to movie franchise.....last four movies have been abit so so ........
    Post edited by PardeyGirL on
    Quote of the Day "Put that
  • LunaMaat wrote: »
    The main issue I have with the prequels is the casting of older Anakin. He's not convincing and the actor is not able to portray him as anything more than a one-sided coin. He seems so whiny and selfish that it's hard to believe how Padme could ever fall for him. He is completely void of charm. There is no real desperation or vulnerability in his love for Padme and the desire to save her from harm. He's like a hormonal adolescent screaming at his "parents" when he doesn't get his way. It's all about his wants and posessions and he's frustrated and defiant the entire time. There is no inner conflict to be seen because he is so obviously dark from the very beginning of episode 2. I should be able to watch the film without having seen the original three (ep. 4-6) and not know if he's going to go dark. I should want him to succeed as a jedi and genuinely worry, but no one would route for a **** like Anakin. At least with Kylo Ren the inner conflict is obvious and we weren't sure if he would be able to murder his dad or not.

I think Disney did a good job on ep. 7. It was an homage to the previous movies, but with exciting twists. If anything, Disney was actually celebrating Lucas' work, not vice versa.

This is funny because this is exactly how I felt about Kylo. He went from awesome to whiny little you know what within 30 minutes.

oh well agree to disagree.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    If you're not willing to let it be unoriginal so it can be entertaining, then you're gonna have a bad time.

For me, the unoriginality severely detracted from the entertainment value.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Rather than spend a bunch of time going over what I hate about them, I'll just point out the Plinkett reviews, and leave it at that.

While those videos are absolutely hilarious and quite entertaining, they are in no way "reviews".

They tear apart the movies piece by peace while beating it with a stick. Any movie can be picked apart and attacked based on his method of "reviewing". A better word for it would be nitpicking.

I'd rather read a logical and well-reasoned review from someone like Roger Edbert (who mind you, gave both The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith 3.5/4 stars).

Do the prequels have their flaws? Yes of course. Are people allowed to hate them? Of course, no movie is exempt from critisism. But does that make them inherently bad movies? No, not in the slightest.

There's no such thing as objectivity when discussing these things, I'll grant you. I'd even agree that it's unfair to state that the things wrong with the prequels are beyond opinion. That being said, I do feel that a lot of the criticisms were fair, and again, I'd prefer to leave it at that. If you'd like to have a more direct discussion of the merits and flaws of the prequels, please either open a new thread or PM me.

I am glad you brought up Ebert's reviews, though. I went and pulled them back up. He lets the plot go entirely. He doesn't focus on the flaws at all, preferring to gush over the spectacle from the new technologies shown. It's not the old "turn your brain off" defense that's often trotted out for, say, The Transformers movies, but it's pretty close.

The reason I'm pointing this out is not to impugn Ebert's opinion. Far from it, I think he is one of the greatest minds not only to critique, but to speak on the subject of film itself. In TPM, he didn't give the plot the same magnification that he might've to, say, a Coen brothers film.
    At the risk of offending devotees of the Force, I will say that the stories of the "Star Wars" movies have always been space operas, and that the importance of the movies comes from their energy, their sense of fun, their colorful inventions and their state-of-the-art special effects. I do not attend with the hope of gaining insights into human behavior. Unlike many movies, these are made to be looked at more than listened to, and George Lucas and his collaborators have filled "The Phantom Menace" with wonderful visuals.

The point I'm making here is I think Ebert would've loved TPM for the same reason that he defends the prequels, and the same reason I spoke of previously. The superweapon plot is just a backdrop, a hollow motif to set the stage for the new characters to take our hearts and imaginations. If you're not willing to let it be unoriginal so it can be entertaining, then you're gonna have a bad time.

The unoriginality of the film was the final straw but....
    1) Poe coming back erased a very powerful moment in the film for me. When Finn picked up that jacket that was a passing of the torch but then Poe comes back in the dumbest of ways and it was as if that scene never took place for me.
    2) Kylo starting off as a intimidating next version of Vader and then becomes whiney Anakin. It amazes me to no end that people are so willing to write off how badly Lucas portrayed Anakin but with Kylo he's conflicted and has potential to be a great villain and try to sweep it under the rug. Sorry guys, you can't have it both ways. Kylo became a joke the moment he took off his helmet and did nothing else to redeem himself. Kylo was poorly written and poorly portrayed.
    3) The lack of action. I'm not expecting Ray Park to come out and do a few flips or hopefully what Donnie Yen will give us but the action scenes were a joke. If Rey can all of a sudden master jedi techniques then give me some good lightsaber action with her vs a guy that was trained by Luke friggin Skywalker. At the very least that would've been more plausible then her being able to use mind tricks or scaling a freaking base and it just happens the 3 good guys found her before the army bad guys did.
    4) Phasma....why was she in the film?
    5) For me this is not a very good standalone film story wise and this fact is even more apparent when you take the entire series into consideration. It just felt like nothing happened.

Now I get you have to throw logic out the window but when you're constantly having to dumb yourself down just to enjoy a movie without any original content then it's a bad movie.
  • For me, being a kid who watched the "Star Wars" in the theatre in the '70's, it changed everything in sci-fi movies, period. What came after, I don't care much to debate, it doesn't change what GL did in 1977 and this transform sci-fi movies to what we have today, in large-part.
    IGN: jq
  • BB-8 did not have plans to defeat the First Order, he had a map to Luke.

And Rey did not just pick up Jedi skills out of nowhere... I bet next movies we will find out she was a young child training at the Jedi Temple, she was saved by someone and nobody knows she survived the fall of the temple her parents think she is dead.
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    USAmazing wrote: »
    And Rey did not just pick up Jedi skills out of nowhere... I bet next movies we will find out she was a young child training at the Jedi Temple, she was saved by someone and nobody knows she survived the fall of the temple her parents think she is dead.

Yup. That's pretty much my impression as well. Also, for some reason people appear to completely overlook the fact that Rey was VERY proficient in combat (remember how many times you lost because she KO'd your most important character right smack in the first turn?). This must have helped her in the fight against Kylo Ren.

And I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the return of a saberstaff thanks to her ;)
  • Pangogo wrote: »
    Rather than spend a bunch of time going over what I hate about them, I'll just point out the Plinkett reviews, and leave it at that.

The unoriginality of the film was the final straw but....
    1) Poe coming back erased a very powerful moment in the film for me. When Finn picked up that jacket that was a passing of the torch but then Poe comes back in the dumbest of ways and it was as if that scene never took place for me.
    2) Kylo starting off as a intimidating next version of Vader and then becomes whiney Anakin. It amazes me to no end that people are so willing to write off how badly Lucas portrayed Anakin but with Kylo he's conflicted and has potential to be a great villain and try to sweep it under the rug. Sorry guys, you can't have it both ways. Kylo became a joke the moment he took off his helmet and did nothing else to redeem himself. Kylo was poorly written and poorly portrayed.
    3) The lack of action. I'm not expecting Ray Park to come out and do a few flips or hopefully what Donnie Yen will give us but the action scenes were a joke. If Rey can all of a sudden master jedi techniques then give me some good lightsaber action with her vs a guy that was trained by Luke friggin Skywalker. At the very least that would've been more plausible then her being able to use mind tricks or scaling a freaking base and it just happens the 3 good guys found her before the army bad guys did.
    4) Phasma....why was she in the film?
    5) For me this is not a very good standalone film story wise and this fact is even more apparent when you take the entire series into consideration. It just felt like nothing happened.

Now I get you have to throw logic out the window but when you're constantly having to dumb yourself down just to enjoy a movie without any original content then it's a bad movie.

1)You should've known Poe wasn't going to be dead dead. It's the same series that has stormtroopers missing point blank shots; nobody important ever dies casually.

2) Kylo is a vulnerable kid that is trying to fill some very big shoes. He's a deconstruction of Vader's monolithic power, and his internal conflict is what drives the movie.

3) If you just want kinetic action scenes, may I suggest the prequels?

4) Phasma was in the film to sell action figures. Serious answer: no clue. I would speculate that she's going to have a larger part in the future movies?

As far as your last point, Return of the Jedi shares the exact same plot as A New Hope, which shares the exact same plot with The Hidden Fortress, which came out in 1958. There is nothing new under the sun. Read Joseph Campbell.