Will Darth Nihilus Get A Nerf?

Replies

• Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Theophany wrote: »
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Darth nihilus is 1 of 3 characters that dispels on basic the other 2 being fac and plo and plos dispel is rng based.

His basic when maxed can reduce the cooldown of drain force by 1 and having drain force at max reduces its cooldown to 3.

That alone is OP within itself not taking into account that Drain Force doesn't go through a potency vs tenacity check which it should be.

Drain Force applies a negative status effect to a toon being a cooldown increase. A negativeness status effect isn't limited to a debuff, it's simply something that changes the status/state of someone or something which effects them in a negative way.

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction
    And yes cooldown increases

Just because it's new does not mean it shouldn't fall under that category.

I feel like I remember TMR used to not go through a Potency/Tenacity check way back when, but I could be wrong.

Correct it didn't go through a potency/tenacity check till they fixed that issue and now it does because it's considered a negative status effect

I don't believe it is considered a negative status effect. They did change it to go through a tenacity/potency check because it was deemed too powerful at that time. They didn't "fix" it, they changed it. The only thing that couldn't be resisted at that time was Vader's ability block on Jedi. Pretty sure literally everything in the game at that time could be resisted other than TMR and Vader's ability block on jedi. The game has changed a lot since then, and theres a ton of things that can't be resisted so having that kind of ability is no longer unheard of and not nearly as game breaking.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    no kill thread
  • Theophany
    865 posts Member
    Darth nihilus is 1 of 3 characters that dispels on basic the other 2 being fac and plo and plos dispel is rng based.

His basic when maxed can reduce the cooldown of drain force by 1 and having drain force at max reduces its cooldown to 3.

That alone is OP within itself not taking into account that Drain Force doesn't go through a potency vs tenacity check which it should be.

Drain Force applies a negative status effect to a toon being a cooldown increase. A negativeness status effect isn't limited to a debuff, it's simply something that changes the status/state of someone or something which effects them in a negative way.

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction

I feel like I remember TMR used to not go through a Potency/Tenacity check way back when, but I could be wrong.

Correct it didn't go through a potency/tenacity check till they fixed that issue and now it does because it's considered a negative status effect

I don't believe it is considered a negative status effect. They did change it to go through a tenacity/potency check because it was deemed too powerful at that time. They didn't "fix" it, they changed it. The only thing that couldn't be resisted at that time was Vader's ability block on Jedi. Pretty sure literally everything in the game at that time could be resisted other than TMR and Vader's ability block on jedi. The game has changed a lot since then, and theres a ton of things that can't be resisted so having that kind of ability is no longer unheard of and not nearly as game breaking.

I'd be inclined to disagree with you saying it's not a negative status effect. As I've stated in countless other posts a negative status effect isn't limited to debuffs.

A negative status effect is something's that changes the status/state of someone or something and effects them in a negative way. Reducing TM is effecting a toon in a negative way, a debuff effects toons in a negative way reducing stats etc etc, cooldown increase increases a toons cooldown on an ability which prevents them from using the ability for 1 turn.

The ability should be going through a potency va tenacity check period and if the devs didn't intend for it to work like that then they should've put "can't be resisted" in the description. So based off its description now I dont believe it's WAI
    Some of the brightest ideas are the hardest to see
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction

I'd be inclined to disagree with you saying it's not a negative status effect. As I've stated in countless other posts a negative status effect isn't limited to debuffs.

A negative status effect is something's that changes the status/state of someone or something and effects them in a negative way. Reducing TM is effecting a toon in a negative way, a debuff effects toons in a negative way reducing stats etc etc, cooldown increase increases a toons cooldown on an ability which prevents them from using the ability for 1 turn.

The ability should be going through a potency va tenacity check period and if the devs didn't intend for it to work like that then they should've put "can't be resisted" in the description. So based off its description now I dont believe it's WAI

Ok, the status effect thing is just how I would define it I guess so it comes down to how the Devs define it.... And Kozi has stated that Cooldown Increase was not a negative status effect, so I wouldn't call TMR a negative status effect either. I'm not saying that just because it's not a negative status effect it shouldn't require a potency/tenacity check, I'm just saying I doubt they'll change it. The reason they changed TMR way back when was because TMR was extremely powerful at that point and more prevalent in the abilities of the toons then (Simply because there were less characters, and a bunch of older characters could remove TM on basics). Now we have Drain Force AND a bunch of other characters that were near un-beatable before Drain Force was introduced. As powerful as it is, it balances out many other top squads, but because the other top squads are also so powerful it makes many other characters fall flat. Power creep has come to stay and I don't expect a change.
    Not once have they stated that Tenacity Down can't be resisted in any in-game description. Sure it makes sense, but it's still a negative status effect. There's no consistency in the in-game descriptions honestly, they proved that when they changed Barriss's Zeta ability.
  • Cant wait to tryhard farming nihilus only for him to be relegated to dumpster tier eventually :)
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction

May help or many not help the arguments.
    In game description of Tenacity and potency affect the application of detrimental effects.

Yes I know Tenacity up and tenacity down descriptions state "negative status effects"

(I am a technical type of person so like to use correct wording)
  • Juex777 wrote: »
    Force drain is only 50 percent without debuffs... 100 percent on toons with a debuff. It can be evaded or deflected, but tenacity isn't involved at all. Works as intended.

Annihilate works on a cooldown.... (No revives with omega, can't be evaded or resisted) Works as intended

Dispel never involves tenacity.... It can be evaded though. So his basic also works as intended.

No bugs involved. He's got an amazing kit.

DN's kit works on different principles. It doesn't involve potency or tenacity at all.

Actually, his "Wound in the Force" lands based on potency.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Not sure if DN is WAI or currently bug since all his skill bypass tenacity check. Meaning all his skill land 100% no matter what the opponent tenacity level is at. Is this address in the bug colum and how soon they plan to fix it?
    DeathTroopers cooldown increase was never resisted either. But they may need an excuse to nerf DN.
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction

In game description of Tenacity and potency affect the application of detrimental effects.

Yes I know Tenacity up and tenacity down descriptions state "negative status effects"

What? You're a technical person? No way...
  • Veritasum
    754 posts Member
    People are so over dramatic. I've never used drain force on tenacity up because I thought it would resist it, lol. And my DN works just fine. Those of you who claim he would be "useless" etc. Calm down.

I'm fact I hope they change it so all of the doom sayers can stop using him and it'll make things easier for me since I'm used to it already.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    CleverWes wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction

What? You're a technical person? No way...

Shocker right...
  • TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    Kitch wrote: »
    I recall Kozi saying it had been flagged to the devs for them to investigate/make a decision. For those saying it isn't a debuff, you are correct, but neither is TMR, yet tenacity is a factor there.

I like it as it is now, so I hope it doesn't change

Me too I spent 2 months building a team around him. DN Lead is one team comp that I can beat triple team consistanly. If they ever change that then for sure Rex Tenacity up will make DN usless.

His kit is so good he can be use off the bat at 3* and his gear requirment is super easy too.

Super easy but those merr son mk III are needed to death ^_^
    Juex777 wrote: »
    Force drain is only 50 percent without debuffs... 100 percent on toons with a debuff. It can be evaded or deflected, but tenacity isn't involved at all. Works as intended.

Annihilate works on a cooldown.... (No revives with omega, can't be evaded or resisted) Works as intended

Dispel never involves tenacity.... It can be evaded though. So his basic also works as intended.

No bugs involved. He's got an amazing kit.

DN's kit works on different principles. It doesn't involve potency or tenacity at all.

Actually, his "Wound in the Force" lands based on potency.
    Disappointed, was expecting a meme from you ^_^

• Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    If you think nihilus is balanced you need a lobotomy.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    I could be wrong, but I think Plo Koon's dispel on basic goes thru a check. IIRC, this is why it was useless before the new potency gear was added in the level cap. It was less than 50% chance IME before he got more potency gear.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    LastJedi wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think Plo Koon's dispel on basic goes thru a check. IIRC, this is why it was useless before the new potency gear was added in the level cap. It was less than 50% chance IME before he got more potency gear.

It doesn't go through a check it just doesn't always work correctly. The new potency gear did nothing, its still broken.
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    The fact is cooldown increase is a negative and detrimental effect on a hero. Just because it doesn't have a little red box over their head doesn't mean it's not. I don't go into a fight hoping that all my cooldowns get increased. That's ridiculous.

DN cooldown increase needs to go through a potency and tenacity check. As it stands right now, it has no counter other than RNG and dodge (people's favorite things ever). No ability should have such a limited counter. Natural dodge is only 2%.

Everything not labeled in this game as unresistable or unavoidable goes through it's respective checks. Either the ability needs to be updated to say unresistable or the cooldown increase needs to go through potency and tenacity checks.

"But tenacity up will kill DN!" No it won't, bring a mass dispeller to land debuffs. Not hard. The triple cleanse teams keep debuffs off of teams as good as tenacity up.
  • AndrewIss
    171 posts Member

His basic when maxed can reduce the cooldown of drain force by 1 when you dispel a buff and having drain force at max gives it a cooldown of 3 after use.

Debuffs
    Tm Reduction

I'm fine for it to take a tenacity check if it can't be dodged anymore. Deal?
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    DN is not broken. The dynamics are just about perfect. I don't mind going up against him at all. There are much scarier characters than DN The only thing missing which should be fixed is that text should be added to the abilitie's description : "this ability cannot be resisted."

There are many abilities that either can't be resisted, deflected or both. It's refreshing that there are some abilities that have different dynamics. As of now tenacity up and tenacity down are very powerful debuffs. (Tenacity as a stat and potency doesn't seem dialed in quite right.) It's important that there are a few abilities that can't be resisted. It's also appropriate that it can be deflected.

Its evident by the way the character functions that a lot of effort went into fine tuning DN before release.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member

It doesn't go through a check it just doesn't always work correctly. The new potency gear did nothing, its still broken.

It still doesnt work as reliably as DNs... but it isnt too bad, really. I have g11 plo and i use him on one of my offensive arena squads. If it was broke before, it is less broke, now.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Since this is bugging me:
    The phrase: "Status Effect" has been used in games for decades to refer to buffs and debuffs.

Reducing someone's cooldowns is a negative effect, but not a negative status effect because it doesn't persist, It does its job and is done.

Negative status effects alter the way a character works for a short period of time. For instance: Damage over time effects make a person take damage every turn. That's not the way they normally work. Defense down makes them take extra damage when they get hit. That is also not the way they normally work. If you increase their cooldowns, they still work exactly the same, as their abilities already have cooldowns.

I agree that it should go through a potency/tenacity check in addition to the evasion/accuracy check because every other damaging ability with a negative effect attached to it goes through both outside of certain toons. Vader has an irresistible ability block on his basic, but ability blocks in general are resistible. Based on this example, cooldowns increase should have an RNG check in general even if some instances of it end up remaining irresistible.

So, based on how every other mechanic in this game works (outside of tenacity down, which is only an exception due to the fact that it itself causes no harm, it simply allows other harmful things to be more likely to happen) cooldown increases should go through a resist check. If the ability also deals damage, it should go through an accuracy check as well. Nihilus's ability also deals damage, so it should absolutely continue to be capable of being evaded.

The only question left really is whether or not Nihilus's ability should be one of the irresistible type, or the resistible type. For the answer to that lets see how many other AoE negative effect abilities are irresistible... As far I'm aware there are no AoE irresistible effects outside of the way this ability currently works. Based on that, it should obviously not be an irresistible ability.

So, in order to make the mechanics in line with every other negative effect in the game, status or otherwise, Nihilus's cooldown increase should not only go through an evasion check, but also a resistance check.
  • I'm playing with 2 stunners (zylo, SA) and I have no problem vs nihilus.
    I don't see any reason why he should be nerfed. He's not fast toon, his unique isn't that good, zetaing him don't change much... and he don't do big damage.
    I can ignore him and when he close to annihilate I stun him..
    As a solo toon, there are much better.
    I'd actually might reduce his basic dmg a bit and give him better speed, so he'll be useful on defense. Because on offense people alrdy enjoying him, but on defense he's very... fragile..
    The only problem with nihilus is the "protect the nihilus". And IMO, GK is the one should be nerfed, and GK is the reason why someone might struggle vs nihilus. ( Or this boring chaze...)
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    I'm playing with 2 stunners (zylo, SA) and I have no problem vs nihilus.
    I don't see any reason why he should be nerfed. He's not fast toon, his unique isn't that good, zetaing him don't change much... and he don't do big damage.
    I can ignore him and when he close to annihilate I stun him..
    As a solo toon, there are much better.
    I'd actually might reduce his basic dmg a bit and give him better speed, so he'll be useful on defense. Because on offense people alrdy enjoying him, but on defense he's very... fragile..
    The only problem with nihilus is the "protect the nihilus". And IMO, GK is the one should be nerfed, and GK is the reason why someone might struggle vs nihilus. ( Or this boring chaze...)

He needs to be fixed (not nerfed) because his cooldown steal is broken. NO other mechanic that does actual harm has no resistance check.
  • Kitch wrote: »
    I recall Kozi saying it had been flagged to the devs for them to investigate/make a decision. For those saying it isn't a debuff, you are correct, but neither is TMR, yet tenacity is a factor there.

I like it as it is now, so I hope it doesn't change

It better change

Funny how the more often a certain toon gets used in arena..the more often people want it changed to accommodate the toons they use only. Funny.
  • QGJ is a balanced toon. DN is not. 75%+ of top teams utilize him, if this was a collectible card game and 75% of the top decks used a single card it'd be emergency banned.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    And most people are using DN at 4 stars, half of these guys with no sith/leader synergy. Like me. Max zeta boba? On the bench. 4 star nonzeta DN is my starter.

The cooldown thing isnt broken, though.... anymore than vader lead skill is. That has no resistance check, either. Just a str8 50% shot to remove tm. Op? Yeah maybe. Dn has some serious arena mojo.

If u watered down his aoe bit rate, a lot of my arena fightz would timeout. I think it wohpd be a problem. U less u reduced his annibilate cooldown.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    M9silent wrote: »
    The fact is cooldown increase is a negative and detrimental effect on a hero. Just because it doesn't have a little red box over their head doesn't mean it's not. I don't go into a fight hoping that all my cooldowns get increased. That's ridiculous.

DN cooldown increase needs to go through a potency and tenacity check. As it stands right now, it has no counter other than RNG and dodge (people's favorite things ever). No ability should have such a limited counter. Natural dodge is only 2%.

Everything not labeled in this game as unresistable or unavoidable goes through it's respective checks. Either the ability needs to be updated to say unresistable or the cooldown increase needs to go through potency and tenacity checks.

"But tenacity up will kill DN!" No it won't, bring a mass dispeller to land debuffs. Not hard. The triple cleanse teams keep debuffs off of teams as good as tenacity up.

It does have red text, implying that it is negative, but so does Palpatine's let the hate flow health percentage damage and that can't be resisted. Honestly though the more I think about it I kind of wish abilities that increase cooldowns could be blocked by tenacity
  • Bottom line... I highly doubt they'll nerf DN after so many have put time, money, and effort into gearing him. He's the 1 toon that levels the playing field so no 1 meta is too OP. These nerf threads are how we end up with worthless toons like FOTP... and Yoda (altho I realize they're decent again with the zeta abilities) People went on endlessly about nerf chaze, still do, and Chaze is easily managed now. It all comes out in the wash..
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Dodging/resisting dn aoe is way higher than 2%. More like 25%
  • 3Cheers4Tyranny
    2084 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    M9silent wrote: »

Truth
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member

It still doesnt work as reliably as DNs... but it isnt too bad, really. I have g11 plo and i use him on one of my offensive arena squads. If it was broke before, it is less broke, now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Plo. He was in my squad before I replaced him with Nihilus because I was making use of his Dispel on Basic. But it just doesn't work right. It has a 50% chance to clear all buffs (This part works), and for the only clearing 1 buff 50% sometimes it will clear all of one buff, sometimes it will do nothing (I think it's probably just clearing 1 turn of the debuffs and not the whole effect, but that's just me guessing), but it will always give him Defense Up. Nihilus was basically just a better dispeller when I first put him into my squad. Of course a few days later I was able to zeta Maul and from there it was just wonderful.
    Juex777 wrote: »
    DN is not broken. The dynamics are just about perfect. I don't mind going up against him at all. There are much scarier characters than DN The only thing missing which should be fixed is that text should be added to the abilitie's description : "this ability cannot be resisted."

There are many abilities that either can't be resisted, deflected or both. It's refreshing that there are some abilities that have different dynamics. As of now tenacity up and tenacity down are very powerful debuffs. (Tenacity as a stat and potency doesn't seem dialed in quite right.) It's important that there are a few abilities that can't be resisted. It's also appropriate that it can be deflected.

Its evident by the way the character functions that a lot of effort went into fine tuning DN before release.

I agree with you. Especially the Tenacity Up/Tenacity Down (de)buffs. I feel like because Tenacity was so utterly overpowered by potency they overdid themselves with Tenacity Up and subsequently Tenacity Down. Tenacity Up is honestly one of the most powerful buffs in the game strategy wise. It basically just removes any and all strategy about debuffing your opponent, there really should be more irresistible effects to make up for that. Plus Tenacity Down is actually not quite as powerful as tenacity up. There will always be the 15% resist chance no matter what. Irresistible, and unavoidable would certainly be too far for an ability that can't be cleansed (Although there is Cooldown Decrease becoming more common to counter that directly).