Imperial Trooper Glory - Meta Comps Vanquished

Prev1
JohnnySteelAlpha
2794 posts Member
edited May 2017
All credit here to @Poxx - this is his Trooper squad, I'm just lending a hand with the post. Great videos here showing Troopers against some elite squads many see. This is a high damage comp with solid health, heal / taunt skills, and a tremendous swarm ability when enemies fall. Cleanse is a weakness obviously, but these videos show rock solid evidence that a Trooper-based squad can compete. Phoenix squad they are not; Snowtrooper is dealing 27k crits on basic and 22k on AOE, DT is 20k+ on his basic, Veers is dishing out a lot of damage with his assist call and solid 15k+ crit on basic.

I don't have the screen shots, but these fights took @Poxx to #1 on his Nov '15 shard with all Trooper battles. Great stuff here, almost have my Troopers G11 and looking forward to using them in various aspects of them game. Thanks Poxx for putting these videos together and taking the time to share.

@danflorian1984 just FYI

Vs. Jedi:
http://youtu.be/GxT_GCYXyCo

Vs. Sith (this one was most surprising):
http://youtu.be/GHTKQDkiA8I

Vs. 3x Classic Cleanse (also surprising)
http://youtu.be/dkn1fYRJOrI

Vs. zDV Empire (very surprising here given debuffs, TM pin, and GK gets absolutely rolled early in the match and is essentially a non-factor):
http://youtu.be/lM1CUhITdzQ

Will they break the meta as currently constructed - no that's not likely - they have holes and are a balanced team. Are they a capable team? The evidence in the videos is pretty clear they are a very capable team.

Replies

• Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    TY for taking the time to compile these sir. My intent was just to show u their viability in arena.

You have taken it a step further to dissuade the misinformed from perpetrating Trooper's inability to compete. Thank u much. I hope this helps those that were on the fence.

Arena needs more diversity.

@JohnnySteelAlpha
  • Great great post. Kind of scary imaging an empire cleanser. Any videos for troopers in HAAT?
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    DT is close to his 6th star...gonna b a bit 4 me anyways
  • I want to run troopers but my lack of Shoretrooper I feel will hold my squad back if I do. Would it be viable with just the other 4 troopers do you think?
  • That Cantina node is rough. Tell me if you get 1 omega from them lol.
  • CUFCfan616 wrote: »
    I want to run troopers but my lack of Shoretrooper I feel will hold my squad back if I do. Would it be viable with just the other 4 troopers do you think?
    Same with me. But I hear stormtrooper is much better. They are just tough to gear as a whole.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Shore giving out crit immunity and heals, plus his huge health pool is invaluable imo. If i had Storm instead, I feel SA under Maul, since it's special damage and skips armor, would have Storm dead in no time.

I would like to thank AhnaldT101, Warrior and MobileGamer as well. It was only after watching their videos that I decided I could make this work. Just had to put my own spin on it. Thx guyz.
    Post edited by Poxx on
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    That's not a imperial trooper squad. That's gk+4 toons.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Awesome videos!
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

vs Sith
    https://youtu.be/exYU7Ol_olo

vs Jedi
    https://youtu.be/88F8sb-PdmU

vs First Order
    https://youtu.be/_exRyRPboWE

All old videos, kind of waiting to get Death to gear 11 before I make more, but maybe I'll do some tomorrow.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Poxx wrote: »
    Shore giving out crit immunity and heals, plus his huge health pool is invaluable imo. If i had Storm instead, I feel SA under Maul, since it's special damage and skips armor, would have Storm dead in no time.

I would like to thank AhnaldT101, Warrior and MobileGamer as well. It was only after watching their videos that I decided I could make this work. Just had to put my own spin on it. Thx guyz.

Storm is very, very tanky. I have no trouble keeping him alive even vs SA under Maul. He's honestly my favorite trooper at the moment and I plan to get some good footage soon to showcase why, but watch the turn meter removal in the above video, particularly that first one I posted vs Sith.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    I'm not saying my comp is the best, or the way they should b played. I prefer the comp I am using and encourage others to improve upon it and find their own way. I watched the videos that were out and decided...for me anyways...that the 5 I decided to use...although different, would give me the best odds vs. Jedi, Sith and Triple Cleanse. I don't like swapping toons in and out.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Aero wrote: »

Storm is very, very tanky. I have no trouble keeping him alive even vs SA under Maul. He's honestly my favorite trooper at the moment and I plan to get some good footage soon to showcase why, but watch the turn meter removal in the above video, particularly that first one I posted vs Sith.

Stormtrooper gains Defense for each empire ally. Not armor. Defense include both Armor and Resistance, so it will reduce the damage from Sith Assassins special. His armor is just higher than his Resistance so it won't do quite as much damage reduction as it would if it were a Physical damage attack.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    I'm not saying my comp is the best, or the way they should b played. I prefer the comp I am using and encourage others to improve upon it and find their own way. I watched the videos that were out and decided...for me anyways...that the 5 I decided to use...although different, would give me the best odds vs. Jedi, Sith and Triple Cleanse. I don't like swapping toons in and out.

Oh, I wasn't implying anything against that. I was only stating that I think a lot of people are overlooking the usefulness of Stormtrooper. I still need to gear up my GK but I'vd been thinking of using the same team as you only with Stormtrooper instead of Shore.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    What turned me off to Storm is his Zeta. He gets better as his team dies. Seems kinda counter-productive for a tank to glean benefits from doing his job poorly. Just turned me off to him in general.
  • Being in empire forum and discord chat with aero, aero knows empire very well. Runs them breathes them etc.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    What turned me off to Storm is his Zeta. He gets better as his team dies. Seems kinda counter-productive for a tank to glean benefits from doing his job poorly. Just turned me off to him in general.

His zeta has no effect on his ability to taunt, absorb damage, and remove enemy turn meter, which is why you would choose him to begin with.

For what it is worth though, whenever I lose characters in Arena, Stormtrooper always seems to be the last one standing. I might actually get his zeta, but again it has no effect at all on how well he does his primary job.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Reason he used Gk was for the cleanse nice videos. Mine are all g10 couple g11 getting close to pulling the trigger on the zeta for veers. My Storm is maxed and that update makes him a very good tank
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    Awesome videos!
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

vs Sith
    https://youtu.be/exYU7Ol_olo

vs Jedi
    https://youtu.be/88F8sb-PdmU

vs First Order
    https://youtu.be/_exRyRPboWE

All old videos, kind of waiting to get Death to gear 11 before I make more, but maybe I'll do some tomorrow.

Ok, that's legit!
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    @Poxx

Very nice bro, I have veers,snow,DT, shore all maxed I just need my GK unlock and gear to be able to run the same squad.

It's hard to run troopers as efficiently as you without GK
  • What effect would running Palp or Krennic Lead instead of Veers have? Obviously slower speed, but would the benefits offset that? Especially the extra health and tmr on debuffs from Palp?
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    CUFCfan616 wrote: »
    What effect would running Palp or Krennic Lead instead of Veers have? Obviously slower speed, but would the benefits offset that? Especially the extra health and tmr on debuffs from Palp?

I think the Troopers would work extremely well under a Krennic lead (especially Zeta'd). Anyone try Krennic (Z-L), DT, Snow, Shore, Veers?
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    What effect would running Palp or Krennic Lead instead of Veers have? Obviously slower speed, but would the benefits offset that? Especially the extra health and tmr on debuffs from Palp?

Palpatine is turn meter gain, not removal, on debuffs. That said, I think it's worth exploring considering the Veers zeta is on his unique and not leader. The major downside is one less trooper to gain stats from and to get big turn meter on kills, as well as less speed, but it could be worth it. I know some are testing out Krennic lead troopers, haven't heard back much from them.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member

Palpatine is turn meter gain, not removal, on debuffs. That said, I think it's worth exploring considering the Veers zeta is on his unique and not leader. The major downside is one less trooper to gain stats from and to get big turn meter on kills, as well as less speed, but it could be worth it. I know some are testing out Krennic lead troopers, haven't heard back much from them.

The Zeta Krennic lead with the Troopers seems like they'd be gaining a lot of protection as they seem to crit a lot. Plus they'd also gain protection from the Veers zeta on a kill. They'd lose some direct offense though.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    @Poxx

I'd like to see your mods! Can I get a gg link?
  • Aero wrote: »

So it is. That could do well in replacing the speed drop from taking out Veers, plus you'd have Palp stunning and shocking as well. Do the troopers debuff much though apart from DT? Snowtrooper seems to be a lot less potent with his basic ability block (was never great anyway tbh) since the update

On the other hand with a Krennic lead you'd also get the extra synergy with Deathtrooper too.

Then if Tarkin's lead gets a zeta in his rework could he be a viable lead as well? A few possibilities for leader which is more than most squads can say
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    The speed gain is really only gonna b cumulatively effective in raids...im thinking p3.

The big part of his lead is the +30% offense. That gives the Troopers the kick they need to drop someone.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Aside from Magma, all troopers do a debuff but it's not as prevalent as other Empire characters, not a good match IMO. I agree that the removal of the 30% offence will hurt, but Vader could step in for a possible alternative leader to refill that void.

Speaking of raids, I was able to do this in P4 of the HAAT.

iWw3KNa.png

I'm hoping taking Death Trooper to gear 11, filling in the remaining gear slots (they all have great stat improving gear at gear 11) and some better mods will really push this score through the roof. Currently the tank takes one turn between topples, but I am very close to consistently toppling it before it takes a turn.
  • @JohnnySteelAlpha thanks for the tag, I was already familiar with Poxx team, I already congratulated him on his ranking. I also enjoy Aero posts in the empire thread.

When I am comparing the empire pass with the Phoenix release I am not saying that IT are as weak as the Phoenix squad, and honestly maybe some people could use them too with succes in PVP, I am saying that they are both fun teams with potential that are going to go overlooked since the current top toons/ squads own by most people can to at least good if not bettter for a lot less hassle.

How can you can convince someone to farm and gear them when they can just farm Chaze and Rex a lot easier and faster than IT + add their R2 and DN they received for free? For probable better results?
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Definitely agree with you there @danflorian1984

Could have the IT rework been a lot better? Absolutely. Yet, is the team functional in all phases of the game now? Again, absolutely. Like you said though, they are only comparable or slightly worse than teams most established players already have, which isn't necessarily bad it just means there's no motivation to farm then.

From my point of view, that's not a big deal. So Troopers won't infest the top of arena like Sith and triple cleanse, big deal. But to all the trooper fans out there, you have a really fun team to work towards which is all you could have ask for (but of course we always want them to be better!)