Why be #1 in PVP????

I'm not really certain why I hear many speak of being #1 in the Arena battles when the rewards vs. risks are not in your favor.

First off, you get 700 points for holding a position between 101-200 so why put a target on your head and go for say the 6-10 position for only 100 credits more. I feel it's better to play the background, reach the 101-200 Tier and hold there until you have a 7* team at minimum.

I feel too many are in a rush to be top dog and all it will do is cost you points when people remember you and attack you, not to mention the extra crystals you'll spend daily defending position. Our rewards are only based upon the end of day result, not how many times we need to play. Food for thought.....

Replies

• More brain food:

You don't move up (or down) the list in a linear fashion - it's a rank trade system. If you're 100 and you beat a 62, for example, you become 62 and they become 100. This means you can move up or down very quickly.

Another trick is the refresh button in the top right. I'll refresh my choices and focus on the right box (always the lowest rank of the three from what I've seen), looking for the biggest rank jump while choosing a power level and leader that look manageable.

If you save your uses until the hour before the rewards go out, you will get further up than if you blow them at midnight and give other people up to 18 hours to bump you.

Try and find opponents with less power (and lower level) than your group. Obviously it won't guarantee a win because there is strategy needed, but it will help.
  • Frequently lower powered players completely out power and destroy my squad. I don't trust that number at all.
  • Kameleonic wrote: »
    Frequently lower powered players completely out power and destroy my squad. I don't trust that number at all.

Those are the people who are good at the game and know how to play, without relying solely on the power of their toons. ;) They are, after all, playing against the AI and not you. It's not *true* PvP.
  • RAMifications
    189 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I think the rewards should be given for the highest rank of the day, not at reset because that's just lame!

EDIT: I think EA would make more money that way too as people would pay more $$ to get more than 5 tries a day since they would actually get the reward.
    --Nud Stark--
  • #1 is harder to snipe out of top 5
  • Simple. The more Crystals and Arena Tokens you are getting every day by ranking high, the stronger you can build your team, which then in turn gives you more fuel to maintain the top spot.
  • Reddplague
    766 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Why be number one if everyone is in different servers? The point of being number one is so that all players see you, not some players. Money well spent, lol.
  • The POINT is to get as many free crystals as you can. It escalates really quickly around rank 20.
  • I like to sit top 3 because of the daily crystals. Once you make top 20, 5 battles a day is plenty to get to top 3 when its time for reset. I only spend the 50 crystals on timer reset to prevent a snipe. As long as I'm #2 or #1 I still net 400 a day

There is a big difference between 100 crystals a day and 400 crystals a day. The arena tokens are not what im going for. But then again feel free to sit at 100+ if that's your cup of tea.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Im happy breaking top 100. My teams are prob just mediocre so if i score a top 100 reward each day im happy
  • Also the reward difference between rank 6-10 and rank 1 is 250 crystals. I'd say that's worth something :)
  • Bare in mind people that reset times of 12am and Arena reward times of 6pm is the same for everybody, so don't assume times that are best for climbing the ladder. On my server I seem to be the only one in my time zone in the top players so I don't actually have anyone trying to snipe me at my reward time.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Im with you. Since global release i have finished top 20 every day except for 1 day (last night actually, because i lost track of my points testing adjustments to my team). That is kind of my target. If i have fight points left, ill just climb as high as i can above 20, but i target 20.
    Lately, it is getting harder and harder to stay in the 20. Lots of strong teams have bubbled up to the top, and then there are the scopignos and the like to deal with, making you waste a point just to get your place back.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • I see the points made about more crystals and all but I usually won't pay crystals to replay levels one the replay rates start going up..
  • 5 days top 1 = 2.500 = 8 pack. Stay there, get premium only chars! How to climb? Pay more then the others or have more luck i guess... Also strategy works, but i believe top spenders are ok for a long time... I guess ioniancat21 spent just a few bucks or is a hard working free player that invested wisely or both.
  • ZoloRunningstrider
    142 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I've spent a chunk of change on this game ($100) and can fight with any team in my area pool. I ironically the characters I got by spending money aren't all that useful now. But once people start hitting 60 the leaderboards are going to be more about who invested their time wisely and knowledge of the game rather then who spent $100's or $1,000's of dollars on the game.
  • Otar wrote: »
    5 days top 1 = 2.500 = 8 pack. Stay there, get premium only chars! How to climb? Pay more then the others or have more luck i guess... Also strategy works, but i believe top spenders are ok for a long time... I guess ioniancat21 spent just a few bucks or is a hard working free player that invested wisely or both.

I hope I'm doing the right thing and time will tell. My team right now is Sidious 5*, Luminara 6*,Ventress 4*, Boba Fett 5* and all Gear Level 6 and Stage 5+6 on attack upgrades. I have Talia at 3* with about Level 5 upgrades and she'll be replaced tonight. I have an undeveloped Savage Opress and Ahsoka that I've been curious to build and also have Daka and Dathcha opening in less than 2 days. My goal is diversity, to have an assortment of characters that I can farm and play F2P...
  • Why not be #1? It currently doesn't cost me anything to reach #1 at the end of my PvP time. That translates to free gems everyday. I have certainly spent money on the game, but none of my money was spent on PvP except about 150 gems at the very beginning. Now I just climb from the 20s to #1 in the last hour of my PvP time and reap the rewards.
  • I think the rewards should be given for the highest rank of the day, not at reset because that's just lame!

EDIT: I think EA would make more money that way too as people would pay more $$ to get more than 5 tries a day since they would actually get the reward.

I fully support this. I think it should be a twofold reward. Rewards as they are now, and a smaller but SIGNIFICANT reward for highest rank of the day. Maybe have a daily character and you get shards depending on the highest rank of the day
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »
    I think the rewards should be given for the highest rank of the day, not at reset because that's just lame!

I fully support this. I think it should be a twofold reward. Rewards as they are now, and a smaller but SIGNIFICANT reward for highest rank of the day. Maybe have a daily character and you get shards depending on the highest rank of the day

Yeah right, that way i believe all top 10 maybe top 20 will get top 1 everyday! Sure makes sense to have 20 guys at 1th place!
  • I won't spend crystals on PVP rank just because the swap system is silly and the fact that AI defense is completely incompetent. I regularly take out teams that if a player was playing them I'm pretty sure I'd lose, so I can only imagine how inept my team is when it defends. Just doesn't seem worth it and I really hate the idea of trying to sit in matches as long as possible to try to hold my spot and how tedious that sounds.
  • Destark
    81 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    For me its about arena tokens and get my Sidious to 7* as soon as possible, Im always top 3 on my time zone 6pm, thats 1000-1100 tokens a day, and with the 400+ crystals reward and daily mission crystals, I basically get to refresh 5 times energies for free, so I can level a little bit faster than f2p player base and keep up with p2p players a little bit on my server without spending money :P
  • I used crystals to refresh at the start to see how far I could climb. Within a couple days I was #1. Now I don't use refreshes at all and loewest I've ranked is 3 at reset time. About 99% of the time I'm #1. I already have sid at 7* thanks to this. Now grabbing shards for ackbar just to unlock him, then I start working on either ig 88 or hk ( haven't decided yet )
  • Scoobings wrote: »
    I won't spend crystals on PVP rank just because the swap system is silly and the fact that AI defense is completely incompetent. I regularly take out teams that if a player was playing them I'm pretty sure I'd lose, so I can only imagine how inept my team is when it defends. Just doesn't seem worth it and I really hate the idea of trying to sit in matches as long as possible to try to hold my spot and how tedious that sounds.

Are you saying you'd rather have the AI be stronger so you'd lose more? And yet, when Galatic Wars was "stronger," people complained and EA had to readjust the pairing.

PvP is a challenge. It challenges players of the similar spending and strategy. The best, whether it is the person who spends the most or the player who develops his heroes best, has the better chance of winning. AI controls the heroes, but the foundations of the team are there. With 5 fights per day, you better go into battle with a good squad or you risk losing your 5 chances without moving up in the rankings.

But if players do not like PvP, ranks 100 to 500 are still very generous in REWARDS so it's really not an issue. Play as you see fit. But don't knock on those who DO enjoy PvP.