Shrouded in Secrecy...Darth Bane is fan favorite?

Replies

• Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care
    3) if I have to ask these questions, is he really a "fan favorite"

People who only watch the movies aren't able to judge what's a "fan fav".

how many players you reckon have watched and read everything star wars related? I'm pretty sure those "fans" are not the ones who determine the "fan fav", simply because they are in the minority.

This. Whether those who have read, watched and consumed everything Star Wars since 1977 like it or not, this have its designed to make money as a mass market game. A character that is known and liked by 80% of the player base ia going to make more money than one that is lived by 25% of the player base.

The fact that many people rationalizing "fan favorite" ideas by linking to Wookiepedia articles and answering questions on these forums about who a character is, should indicate that certain characters for info that "25%" category rather than the 80% one.

That's not to say that they won't release some of those characters (Nihilus, Phoenix, are perfect examples). But trying to claim that they are "fan favorites" is an exercise in futility.

Will they really though? I feel like more people will buy a Sith with lightsabers than a teddy bear with a spear (Wicket).
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

Nor are hardcores who think they're magically the gatekeeper on what should be a 'fan' or not. Sorry to bust your bubble but the major decisions in the franchise are based around the casuals. Hop off.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Omeah wrote: »
    Olga wrote: »
    Not sure how Darth Marr is shrouded in secrecy. I mean he was the figurehead of the entire Sith Empire during the Emperor's absence. I'm gonna say Starkiller.

His past is secret, noone knows anything of him before his mask and ascension to the Dark Council. Some think he was a Jedi, others think he's pure dark side energy, like Nihilus, he's the most shrouded character in SW canon I think. Ofc, that doesn't mean they referenced him
    From Wookiepedia;
    Marr's history was shrouded in secrecy
    Huh...

• Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Options
    Corrog wrote: »
    How is this argument over eligibility of EU characters as favorites still raging?

Despite how much I enjoy it, ultimately this is a mobile game tangentially about Star Wars. It's only really going to hold the attention of fans who consume everything Star Wars. Everything, that is, including the EU. Which means this game is mostly designed with extreme fans in mind. Which means the fan favorite can be whoever the heck they want it to be.

So it could be anyone, from Jango to Darth Treya, to Darth Andeddu.

Now, on topic I'd like to say I don't think it will be Bane, though I understand the reasoning. I'm assuming, in part, that this will mirror R2 in event type. Given that, I don't see them having one Jedi, one droid, and two Sith in such events. I think Thrawn is equally well suited to the words 'shrouded in secrecy,' because he's from an unknown race and even the Emperor doesn't fully understand his motives or ambitions.

Sorry but we don't know if it'll be a Legendary Event and if two SIth seems too much for you how will two Empire be? Since Palpatine is also Empire. And R2 is not only a droid. It has all the possible light side tags. In fact I don't think that "Shrouded in Secrecy" is related to the new fan fav character. I expect that definition to be zeta abilities for Emperor Palpatine. I may be wrong about it though :)
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    BhMojo wrote: »
    Careful, some people on here say EU characters are not and will never be fan favorites.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what are EU characters?

Extended Universe. Before Disney bought Star Wars, Lucas allowed all sorts of people to write their own tales. etc. of the Star Wars Universe and made them all Canon.

Depending on what they wrote. If they fundamentally broke G-canon then they got the N-canon (non-canon) designation.

For anybody wondering about Pre-Disney EU canon, there were different levels of canon - G-canon (George canon or the first 6 movies), T-canon (television canon or TCW movie and series), C-canon (continuity canon or most books, comics, background info in games), S-canon (secondary canon) and N-canon (anything that directly contracted G and T canon along with other things like stats in games, etc.).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

how many players you reckon have watched and read everything star wars related? I'm pretty sure those "fans" are not the ones who determine the "fan fav", simply because they are in the minority.

Issue is that those only watching the movies can't be a true "fan". Say you watched a japanese anime movie, does that make you a "fan"?
    you don't need to be a "true fan" to have a favorite character you want to see added to the game. Maybe people would have a different favorite character if they watched/read everything, but because most of the players didn't, the chances are pretty low that those lesser known characters are the fan favorite ea/cg is going to chose.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Any
    428 posts Member
    Options
    Rule of two : Do you know reason of rule of two?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5cVCfruVFQ
  • Illanous
    20 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think its starkiller from the force unleashed games. After all he is Vader's secret apprentice.
  • Options
    Illanous wrote: »
    I think its starkiller from the force unleashed games. After all he is Vader's secret apprentice.

But that's literally non canon. Just as much chance as seeing Mara Jade or Jaina Solo.

As much as I want to see him in this game, it's highly unlikely
  • Illanous
    20 posts Member
    Options
    Illanous wrote: »

But that's literally non canon. Just as much chance as seeing Mara Jade or Jaina Solo.

As much as I want to see him in this game, it's highly unlikely

But isn't it an EA game? If so he can be used just as Nihilus was.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but.. WHO!??
  • Riffinator
    2586 posts Member
    Options
    Darth bane would be a perfect anti Sith toon with his special "Rule of two: instantly kill all but two Sith characters in play." IT'S PERFECT!
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    Not sure how Darth Marr is shrouded in secrecy. I mean he was the figurehead of the entire Sith Empire during the Emperor's absence. I'm gonna say Starkiller.

Because everything about him is shrouded in secrecy. Look at his history, what's the description of it? Shrouded in Secrecy. People murder themselves rather than reveal anything about the guy. No one else has that kind of secrecy surrounding them EU or Canon.
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

Issue is that those only watching the movies can't be a true "fan". Say you watched a japanese anime movie, does that make you a "fan"?

Only if you liked it.

I think you are making the term fan into a lot more than it is. A fan of something is someone who likes it, plain and simple.

A fanboy however gets into every detail of the thing. This type of person is also known as a geek. I am a geek or fanboy, I freely acknowledge it. I also acknowledge that level of "commitment" to something has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are a fan.
  • Options
    Fan favorite is jar jar
  • Options
    Riffinator wrote: »
    Darth bane would be a perfect anti Sith toon with his special "Rule of two: instantly kill all but two Sith characters in play." IT'S PERFECT!

I like it! :D
  • Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

It absolutely makes you a fan if you like it. The star wars fan base would be next to nothing without the movies. The movies are what draw people in. Nobody here has the knowledge to determine who is a "true" fan. If your on these forums, then you're a fan. Nobody here can decide if a character will be the fan favorite, because everyone has different favorites. I personally can't stand Jar Jar and think he's the worst character to ever be introduced, but I can't say he's not a fan favorite as many people do like him. Just because you don't like someone or know who they are, doesn't mean they're not a fan favorite.
  • Options
    As always, whever you have two sides punching in their 'opposite' view the truth will usually lie somewhere in the middle.

Without a doubt SW:GoH or ANY other SW game has to walk a tightrope. On the one side is staying out of the weeds so has not to turn off main stream movie watchers and on the other doing service to the devotee's that consume everything.

It's also why this, or the Battlefront game, or anything like it ends up with a lot of flames. General movie goer's are fans just the same, you can't deny it -- but they're always going to be looked down all of us who have ten to fifty times the amount of content and history to work from.

There is more story, history, content, and character development in TCW then all the movies combined -- but to peopel who just watch the movies, you are talking about smoke and mirrors, you know? Must be confusing having two Ahsoka's when they wouldn't even have known about the first! Snipps what?

TL:DR - you're all wrong - "Fan Favorite" is another term for "threading a needle in a mad house"
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • tkl
    295 posts Member
    Options

His past is secret, noone knows anything of him before his mask and ascension to the Dark Council. Some think he was a Jedi, others think he's pure dark side energy, like Nihilus, he's the most shrouded character in SW canon I think. Ofc, that doesn't mean they referenced him
    From Wookiepedia;
    Huh...

You may have caught on to something.....
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    tkl wrote: »

From Wookiepedia;
    Huh...

You may have caught on to something.....

Its wookiepedia. Its written by fans, not lucasfilm
  • Options
    Darth Marr would make more sense as he has always wore a mask. So that could be connected to the secrecy
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

Sorry, but have you honestly never heard of Darth bane?

He was even featured in the clone wars.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

Ive heard people mention him on the forums along with a plethora of other characters i'm expected to be familiar with but know nothing about. I dont have a huge desire to research every character people expect me to be fascinated with unless i know they're being added to the game (nihilus).

I have seen Clone Wars but you'll have to remind me what episodes he was in and what he did. Theres more than a few characters in that show and i cant memorize all of them.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

Ive heard people mention him on the forums along with a plethora of other characters i'm expected to be familiar with but know nothing about. I dont have a huge desire to research every character people expect me to be fascinated with unless i know they're being added to the game (nihilus).

I have seen Clone Wars but you'll have to remind me what episodes he was in and what he did. Theres more than a few characters in that show and i cant memorize all of them.

I dont think you are "expected" to know anything. I'd think you would want to learn about the characters. To each their own.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

I dont think you are "expected" to know anything. I'd think you would want to learn about the characters. To each their own.

If i really want to learn about a character, it wont be from some fan written article on wookiepedia because frankly, thats boring and not how those characters are intended by their creators to be experienced. I was intrigued by TOR so i started KOTOR but i dont have the time or energy to seek out every book, comic, game, and fan theory just so i can be considered a "real fan".

Im not necessarily accusing you personally, but many people on the forums who have extensive knowledge of star wars lore outside of the movies tend to flaunt that knowledge and think that justifies their opinions over those of others.

A person's "fan status" isn't determined by the quantity of knowledge they possess, its based on their passion for what they do know and their ability to support their opinions and arguments concerning the source material.
  • Options
    Simeone posted a pic that phrased "secrecy shrouded" the royal guards...

Since we're still on Empire pass...royal Guard rework? Empire needs a cleanser....Zoyal Guard ;) Royal Guard is pretty fan favorite, no? Thoughts?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Simeone posted a pic that phrased "secrecy shrouded" the royal guards...

Since we're still on Empire pass...royal Guard rework? Empire needs a cleanser....Zoyal Guard ;) Royal Guard is pretty fan favorite, no? Thoughts?

I thought the devs said the pass ended with tarkin
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    1) who is darth bane
    2) why should I care

If i really want to learn about a character, it wont be from some fan written article on wookiepedia because frankly, thats boring and not how those characters are intended by their creators to be experienced. I was intrigued by TOR so i started KOTOR but i dont have the time or energy to seek out every book, comic, game, and fan theory just so i can be considered a "real fan".

Im not necessarily accusing you personally, but many people on the forums who have extensive knowledge of star wars lore outside of the movies tend to flaunt that knowledge and think that justifies their opinions over those of others.

A person's "fan status" isn't determined by the quantity of knowledge they possess, its based on their passion for what they do know and their ability to support their opinions and arguments concerning the source material.

Funny, I see the opposite: ppl who only watch movies degrade those who watch cartoons or omg, maybe even read books, or play video games; they state that our favourites are nothing, just because they didn't appear in movies they have no place in this game. I'm not saying there aren't any ppl like you described, but there are way more movie(and often OT)-snobs
    Disclaimer: clearly I'm not talking about you, you said you research characters, just not all

That's not what I have seen. I have seen people point out that fans of the EU or Rebels represent a small enough slice of Star Wars fans that EU/Rebels only characters simply don't have a large enough of a following to constitute a fan favorite. Not that they are nothing, not that they don't have fans. Just that their following is too small to be a fan favorite.

I have certainly seen lots of people overreact to these posts like their favorite character was just insulted though.