Arena spamming

The frustration of getting spammed in the final minutes of payout is real. It is a really bad system that allows that to occur; there is no skill in timing out exactly when to fight someone. What can be done about this? It just doesn't seem either fair or optimal.

Replies

• Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    It could be based on the highest rank you achieve each day instead of your rank at payout?
  • +1 billion, that is a great solution but it would have the game paying a lot more people a lot more crystals. Then again that isn't a bad thing.
  • Allenb60 wrote: »
    It could be based on the highest rank you achieve each day instead of your rank at payout?

This
  • Belfazar
    586 posts Member
    +1 billion, that is a great solution but it would have the game paying a lot more people a lot more crystals. Then again that isn't a bad thing.

This it would mean the top 50 could work together on a shard chat and coordinate 1 for everyone without dropping out of top 50.
    Get first put in a squad drop to 40-50 put in wall squad to prevent anyone outside of 50 from getting in. Of course being pure f2p and my shard being around jan 2016 my chances of top 100 will require a miracle.
  • Highest rank held with bonus the longer you hold it. Or....just remove crystals from the reward structure.
  • Belfazar wrote: »
    +1 billion, that is a great solution but it would have the game paying a lot more people a lot more crystals. Then again that isn't a bad thing.

This it would mean the top 50 could work together on a shard chat and coordinate 1 for everyone without dropping out of top 50.
    Get first put in a squad drop to 40-50 put in wall squad to prevent anyone outside of 50 from getting in. Of course being pure f2p and my shard being around jan 2016 my chances of top 100 will require a miracle.

That would require way too much work. It is currently possible for the top 50 to work together to make sure each person gets in top 5 during their payout but it doesn't happen because it will be a nightmare to try organize.

Yes currently a lot of shards have agreements with the top 10 or even maybe 20 to get top spots at payout... it's happening already, there will be no change.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Belfazar wrote: »

Of course being pure f2p and my shard being around jan 2016 my chances of top 100 will require a miracle.

I'm pure f2p (don't even have the option to buy the crystal sub) and get top every day on a shard over a year old now.
    Or....just remove crystals from the reward structure.

Worst idea ever.
  • Belfazar
    586 posts Member
    Highest rank held with bonus the longer you hold it. Or....just remove crystals from the reward structure.

Dont remove crystals without the majority of f2p will stand no chance of getting passed gear 9. Changing arena shards forming when you hit lvl 28 has already made the top 500 even more competitive, because players are hooked by the time they get there.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    RNG rules this game so why not payout. Payout is always different everyday so some day you may get lucky and be in first when it hits and sometimes you may not be so lucky. That would make things interesting.
  • Sewpot wrote: »
    RNG rules this game so why not payout. Payout is always different everyday so some day you may get lucky and be in first when it hits and sometimes you may not be so lucky. That would make things interesting.

Take the worst part of the game and have more of it? Nah.. No thanks.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    The frustration of getting spammed in the final minutes of payout is real. It is a really bad system that allows that to occur; there is no skill in timing out exactly when to fight someone. What can be done about this? It just doesn't seem either fair or optimal.

Disagree. There is both skill, and there is still advantage based on your team. If someone snipes and leaves only 2 and a half minutes, you can countersnipe if u have a fast enough team. Whilensomeone else in your payout may have no chance under that time limit. When u spend enough time at the top u figure out your best times against the other dudes and can press any advantage your team has. Its still luck but its weighted with team and ur use of it.
  • The system is broken and I can't find my shard mates to help arrange these things and I only want to finish in the 50's. I literally screwed someone today over 50 crystals. Not proud.
  • Dabro1974 wrote: »
    The system is broken and I can't find my shard mates to help arrange these things and I only want to finish in the 50's. I literally screwed someone today over 50 crystals. Not proud.

Find your shard here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/6cppzx/looking_for_shardmatesplayers_megathread_v1/?ref=search_posts

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Dude, no one cares at 50. It is not worth looking at the clock and spamming the refresh key for 50 crystals. Only place anyone cares is top 5. Dont sweat it.

Post edited by Mageduckey on
  • OnJouney
    309 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Of course being pure f2p and my shard being around jan 2016 my chances of top 100 will require a miracle.

I also am on a January 2016 shard, get rank 1 from time to time and always in the top 50
  • The frustration of getting spammed in the final minutes of payout is real. It is a really bad system that allows that to occur; there is no skill in timing out exactly when to fight someone. What can be done about this? It just doesn't seem either fair or optimal.

personally i do whatever i can to hold or increase my rank. if that means sitting in a battle the last 5 min before payout so be it.

the goal of arena is to get the best rank you can. not sit around and be nice to everyone else and let them have the best rank they can.
  • There frustration is getting locked out at 5:53-5:58 and then missing first by seconds because I have under 90 seconds to beat said spammer. It is annoying and very imperfect. Ultimately not the biggest deal; I'm competitive naturally and care more about place than crystals (I'm not f2p at all). This isn't whining per se, just wondering out loud if there might be a better way.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    There frustration is getting locked out at 5:53-5:58 and then missing first by seconds because I have under 90 seconds to beat said spammer. It is annoying and very imperfect. Ultimately not the biggest deal; I'm competitive naturally and care more about place than crystals (I'm not f2p at all). This isn't whining per se, just wondering out loud if there might be a better way.

Start a battle at 5:50..retreat with a few seconds left. Pay 50 crystals for instant refresh. Attack again. Done.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Maegor wrote: »

I'm pure f2p (don't even have the option to buy the crystal sub) and get top every day on a shard over a year old now.
    Or....just remove crystals from the reward structure.

Worst idea ever.

@Maegor
    Check again, I'm F2P too and it showed up on me on one of the last updates. Not that I'm trying to tempt you to buy crystals... I still haven't
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Im' guessing you're still new at the top of the arena... As said above, when you spend enough time at the top, you'll learn the ways to secure your spot. Like locking yourself up in the last minutes or spending 50 crystals (which for those at the top it's common) to have 2 fights in a roll and block your rival from getting top 2... Or even asking a friend to lock you or your enemy, if you have those on a discord chat...
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Start a battle at 5:50..retreat with a few seconds left. Pay 50 crystals for instant refresh. Attack again. Done.
    I disagree. If you wait until 5:50, other dude should have blocked/sniped already. And if you wait that long, he could have blocked with so little time left, you have no chance, at all.

Your block should be just ONE block. No need to refresh. And in the current meta, it needs to be with approximately 8 minutes left on the clock, depending on your guys' squads. When the other guy gets the battle, he will have to win with a time constraint. If your squad is better than his, you can theoretically leave him so little time he has a slim or even no chance, at all. But even if it's a toss up, you give yourself a chance to defend, at least. If you try to block at 8 min left, and the battle is locked up? Well, you know you are going to have a chance to get the last battle with at least 3 minutes left, if not more. But to get it, you have to keep trying to enter the battle, over and over, and hope to be the first one to enter the last battle. If you get it, unless your squad is way better than his, you will have to make some quick decisions and hope you don't screw up too badly, and that RNG is with you.

The time it takes to buy a refresh leaves the other guy(s) time to get that battle. So you can end up buying a refresh for nothing. That's a noob move and will only work against another noob. Plus, there's no need to waste crystals for blocking. The guys that are in the same payout, you will all win some and lose some. No need to waste crystals.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    I'm one of the top in my ship shard and it is a royal pain how things are set up. We can all beat each other on offense every time and every one tries to time it so they get 1st before anyone can beat them in time.

I'm only a top 20 in regular arena, but I imagine it is even more frustrating with how competitive it is. Depends on how many people are in your pay out time as well.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I imagine fleet is even more annoying, because the clock is like 50% longer.

But basically, what you will end up with... if the other guys in your payout have a functional brain and care enough to try.... is what I described in my last post. You will never try to completely shut out the other guy by buying a timer refresh... cuz if anyone is home and trying to get the last battle, they will beat you out. Every single time. That's how it works. The only way to shut someone (who is trying) out is by employing outside help, which is lame (IMO).

So if you can beat the other guys in your payout in 1 minute flat, but they need 3 minutes to beat each other, you have a decided advantage. When there's a block on 1, and timer gets under 3 minutes, the other guys (if they have a brain) will stop trying to get that battle and will instead shoot for 2 spot or try to lock up their own spot by attacking 4. While you will still have a shot at taking the cup. You can wait until there is less than 7 minutes left before doing a snipe or block.... and if it's busy... you will definitely get a shot at the last battle, still.

Things are more of a tossup with 3 or more, but you still have a slight advantage. When it's only 2 people in a payout, if one squad consistently wins 30 seconds faster without fail, that squad will win 100% of the time when both people know how to do it, and they are both trying.
    Post edited by LastJedi on
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    If u start taking top spots frequently enough, even if u can't find your shard mates, they r likely to find u thru Line, Discord etc.

There is a PVP section on the forums. Make a list w/ some @ so-and-so. It will fill in the rest as u type.

Or, as was previously mentioned, try Reddit forums.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    LastJedi wrote: »
    I disagree. If you wait until 5:50, other dude should have blocked/sniped already. And if you wait that long, he could have blocked with so little time left, you have no chance, at all.

Your block should be just ONE block. No need to refresh. And in the current meta, it needs to be with approximately 8 minutes left on the clock, depending on your guys' squads. When the other guy gets the battle, he will have to win with a time constraint. If your squad is better than his, you can theoretically leave him so little time he has a slim or even no chance, at all. But even if it's a toss up, you give yourself a chance to defend, at least. If you try to block at 8 min left, and the battle is locked up? Well, you know you are going to have a chance to get the last battle with at least 3 minutes left, if not more. But to get it, you have to keep trying to enter the battle, over and over, and hope to be the first one to enter the last battle. If you get it, unless your squad is way better than his, you will have to make some quick decisions and hope you don't screw up too badly, and that RNG is with you.

The time it takes to buy a refresh leaves the other guy(s) time to get that battle. So you can end up buying a refresh for nothing. That's a noob move and will only work against another noob. Plus, there's no need to waste crystals for blocking. The guys that are in the same payout, you will all win some and lose some. No need to waste crystals.

The difference in crystals between 1st and 5th is significantly more than 50. Also, you should always change up your block/reblock time - otherwise you become predictable and an easy target.

But, if you don't have a rotation agreement with shard mates, a block and insta-reblock (at 12 minutes and 7 minutes or. 11 and 6, or even 9 and 4) is not only helpful to prevent sniping, it's also frustrating as heck for those trying to snipe you.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • November '16 shard, but I've been top 5 for a good 3-4 months now. This is actually much more complex and strategic than I realized it was. Top 3 dudes in my shard have had such an advantage for so long wasn't having to think about this prior. Lots of helpful ideas here.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    there is no skill in timing out exactly when to fight someone.

There isn't? Then why don't you just do it yourself?

• Tman
    257 posts Member
    Stop complaining. The system is fine just sounds like someone has tasted a drop in ranking lately.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman