To all those ranting about arena timer.

Prev1
After seeing several topics and posts of people whining about the pvp timer, you are failing to understand the devs know that not having a timer opens a door to top players being able to exploit a way to insure that you cannot be bumped down from your current placement.
Imagine you are in the top 10 and there are 30 minutes left before payout, all you have to do is start a match and never attack, if your match has no timer then no one else can challange you or who ever your fighting, which also makes it possible for players with mulitple accounts to fight their self if they are in first place, assuming they're on the same server and both in top 10.
So you need to understand that with the current style in the fighting system, a lack of a timer would cause a complete loss of any fair chances for players to get bumped out of high ranking places if the high ranking players dont want to be bumped. I for one would be happy making it to 5th place with one battle left, selecting any available player and setting my tablet down until payout happens, and you know many others would too.

Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.

Replies

• I think it should be longer, but have one for the reason you mentioned. Or at least not call it a draw but whoever has more left standing wins. I've timed out several times with all 5 of my squad standing and 1-2 left on the others squad and on their way out. Another minute maybe two and I'd have won every draw I have.
  • I can understand the frustration when u get a draw n u have more peeps then they do.... but then I tell myself , if you want to be the champ, you gotta beat the champ , ties go to the higher seed ....
  • Adding more time is certainty debatable but imo i believe a draw should remain a draw but it is just my oppinion. I do think though that the game need much more testing in the long run before making any adjustments like that, it may turn out the devs will add time or consider the winner whoever has more characters standing.

I for one have only had one draw, and that was in the beginning of playing before learning proper strategies, i believe strategy plays the most important roll in winning in pvp. at least when your up against someone that isnt 15 levels above you.
    Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.
  • But if the timer is longer then the attacker will always win.. 5min is to long now. If you are not fighting way above your power level you don't need more time..
  • I've never ever ran out of time, but that's because I have heavy damage team, so I glass Cannon and either kill in 2 minutes or die in 2
    But maybe once people stop all using 4 healer teams they'll not need more time
    I can imagine bariss team v bariss team being awful
  • Bariss vs Bariss pretty easy if you can kill one of their other toons in the 1st around .. but if you waste all of your big hits and she heals it's hard to get back ahead..
  • Nicks075 wrote: »
    Adding more time is certainty debatable but imo i believe a draw should remain a draw but it is just my oppinion. I do think though that the game need much more testing in the long run before making any adjustments like that, it may turn out the devs will add time or consider the winner whoever has more characters standing.

I for one have only had one draw, and that was in the beginning of playing before learning proper strategies, i believe strategy plays the most important roll in winning in pvp. at least when your up against someone that isnt 15 levels above you.

There in lies the problem. Once I hit 40 I was up against upper 40's low 50's that have on average 2k power rating higher than me. So when I'm taking them down regardless, due to strategy and synergy to have a draw when I outnumber 5-1 is frustrating. Now if I were competing with those on my level, no beef. I've been in the top 20 though for the last 9 days, seeing as I'm not 2 weeks in yet I'm happy with it, but wish they'd either up the time, fix the draw for opponent, or make those with more left winner.
  • Dewynter wrote: »
    But if the timer is longer then the attacker will always win.. 5min is to long now. If you are not fighting way above your power level you don't need more time..

Have no choice but to that is all that is ever in my list to battle.
  • Nicks075
    210 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Dewynter wrote: »
    Bariss vs Bariss pretty easy if you can kill one of their other toons in the 1st around .. but if you waste all of your big hits and she heals it's hard to get back ahead..

Thats where strategy comes into play. When against a powerfull opponent that i know i can't kill a character in the first round of attacks i just use normal attacks to get there health low enough to make certan another full on attack will kill them. Barriss usually doesnt heal unless their health is below half. When she attacks i go for the kill while she waits for her attack meter to fill back up. By then my target is down and on to the next one.
  • I've never ever ran out of time, but that's because I have heavy damage team, so I glass Cannon and either kill in 2 minutes or die in 2
    But maybe once people stop all using 4 healer teams they'll not need more time
    I can imagine bariss team v bariss team being awful

I use
    Barriss
    Lum
    Savage
    Mace
    Secura or Doku,or Maul. Now I have Sid finally though.

So not a 4 healer team.
  • Exactly hey all
    Dewynter wrote: »
    But if the timer is longer then the attacker will always win.. 5min is to long now. If you are not fighting way above your power level you don't need more time..

Have no choice but to that is all that is ever in my list to battle.

Then , unless u drop more $$, ull be properly ranked at ur current, money/time invested into the game.....just like every game. ....you are what ur time & money say you are.....and money will trump time more often then not
  • Maybe not have a fail system would help
  • I think it should be longer, but have one for the reason you mentioned. Or at least not call it a draw but whoever has more left standing wins. I've timed out several times with all 5 of my squad standing and 1-2 left on the others squad and on their way out. Another minute maybe two and I'd have won every draw I have.
    Giving the win to the person with the higher life left would be extremely exploitable. You could just draft an all tank team and afk the entire round. Or if it is percent health based just draft a team of the fastest characters and attack once then afk.

I've never had a issue I have 4 tanky is people on my team and 1 tie pilot for super dps. As long as he doesn't go down I wreck people,all day long. Also I have sidious so just incase someone doesn't dps them fast enough, his speed and debuff workwonders.

• My problem with timer is that I have on 3 occasions killed someone as timer hit zero and it says draw. I heard the scream saw them go grey and not win that's just wrong.
  • I haven't had a PVP match last longer than 3 minutes in ages, and I'm not even max level O.o The only thing that slows them down to longer are the large amounts of counter attacks sometimes... but even then I usually end matches with 2 minutes left on the clock.
  • My problem with timer is that I have on 3 occasions killed someone as timer hit zero and it says draw. I heard the scream saw them go grey and not win that's just wrong.

I had this happen once as well. It was getting short on time so I hit auto battle. They died as the timer hit 0 and it still said draw. Maybe it needs a 10 second window at the end if it the power difference is vast enough or something.. idk but it's super frustrating.
  • Happened again killed Barriss and time ran out as she faded away another draw.Only happens when I face her in battle. Maybe it should only count down on inactivity. Or add a second on each hit. Or plus 10 on a death.
  • Happened again killed Barriss and time ran out as she faded away another draw.Only happens when I face her in battle. Maybe it should only count down on inactivity. Or add a second on each hit. Or plus 10 on a death.

Perhaps you have to gear up your strongest hero or make sure you have enough fire power to take out the opponent. Probably why as players level higher, they take out Barriss for Lumi because of the extra hit points. But I don't know. I can just say that power does and should matter.

I think the 5 minute timer is fine. I lose a bit due to the last millisecond kill, but the timer has already expired, but that's the name of the game. Like any time in real life, if it goes off, then no matter how you plead, it's over. But once I re-arranged my squad for greater power, the timer is hardly a problem.

• the dodge rate in squad arena become insanely high.
    half of it is dodge without special leader
  • When you get to that last character or two, mash the auto and get it done.
  • I'm with cheesey toes, gain a numeric advantage over your opponent, auto but watch and refocus the target enemy
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    I never really had this problem until I faced one particular team of which I won't say who was in it. I will say the team had very high health and counter stun chances.. And good heals. I could have beaten the team and not lost a single toon but just not in 5 min.
  • Nah there is definitely something wrong with the given Arena time, when my 6/7* exclusive DPS team of Obi darth lando etc can't finish off a 4* team of Chewie bariss obi kit jedi consular then there's something wrong, such a weak stalling combo imo.
  • Blam
    113 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    My problem with timer is that I have on 3 occasions killed someone as timer hit zero and it says draw. I heard the scream saw them go grey and not win that's just wrong.

Happened to me only once, but it is silly
    Post edited by Hozilla on
  • if you down by one minute, hit the auto button to finish of your opponents. I think the best solution, would be Live pvp during different times of the day with a 5 minute timers. You fight in a tourney style were you get certian number of fights before payout. This would add a whole new interesting dynamic way to play, becuase as it stands now, the very problem you say is being avioded is happening now. If you know anything about the game as you claim you do, have the tie system is keeping certain players in top and not giving anyone the chance to win big. Anyone who is good at this game knows the best defensive team to keep ur self at a certian level. If you don't then that's good news for me.
  • Honestly I haven't had that much of an issue with the 5 minute timer, but I can see both its problems and why it needs to be there. The easiest solution that would go a long ways to helping the problem without creating others, would be simply to increase the action speed of characters to be the same as how fast combat flows in auto mode. The majority of wasted time is from counter attacking (dooku/aayla) and animation speeds on slower moves. If the combat speed was sped up to that of the auto attacking it would eliminate all of the wasted time that could be better spent in the fight.
  • Advantage goes to the attacker who isnt controlled by the ai. Seriously, go into the fight and hit auto right from the start. I promise you that the timer will not be reached. Your team will get destroyed. Thats because you can destroy much higher, stronger teams when you are in control and their team is controlled by the ai. If you cant beat them in 5 minutes its because they vastly out power you.
    Get stronger, dont complain. Get over it.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Griever_1 wrote: »
    Honestly I haven't had that much of an issue with the 5 minute timer, but I can see both its problems and why it needs to be there. The easiest solution that would go a long ways to helping the problem without creating others, would be simply to increase the action speed of characters to be the same as how fast combat flows in auto mode. The majority of wasted time is from counter attacking (dooku/aayla) and animation speeds on slower moves. If the combat speed was sped up to that of the auto attacking it would eliminate all of the wasted time that could be better spent in the fight.

Animation off button in options would solve my issue.
  • Daishi wrote: »
    My problem with timer is that I have on 3 occasions killed someone as timer hit zero and it says draw. I heard the scream saw them go grey and not win that's just wrong.

I had this happen once as well. It was getting short on time so I hit auto battle. They died as the timer hit 0 and it still said draw. Maybe it needs a 10 second window at the end if it the power difference is vast enough or something.. idk but it's super frustrating.

This exact situation has happened to me. And it is indeed super frustrating.