Speed Changes and Poe Dameron

Replies

• Lame, could have had 5* QGJ by now instead of farming Poe to 6*. Oh well, im sure they'll nurf the **** out of yoda once their income drops below a certain level, then release the next new character in his place.
    Sinister Alliance (Leader) - accepting waitlist members - PM for information
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Naecabon wrote: »
    Why does anyone care about this change to Poe? Why even change him at all now? With the new way speed works, changing him from 143 to 142 accomplishes almost nothing. Now, he's guaranteed to act before Rey... and Hoth Rebel Scout. Those were the only two characters at exactly 143 speed. So they felt they had to change him for that? I don't get it.

And why are you so upset about this? Do you guys not realize the new speed system is a) better for the game, and b) that the Poe nerf is barely a nerf at all? It seriously altered almost nothing about him now.

I know bro. I've been lol'ing at these chicken little posts all night long.

Yea it sucks that these changes weren't published. But intentionally misled....? What would the logic behind that be? They know people would figure it out in about 0.5 seconds anyway. This seems more like a case of a poorly organized effort to do the right thing.
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Speed and how this version has affected it across the board:
    • Speed, prior to this update, was not incredibly precise (hence the grouping of units of close Speed characters into a Tier).
    • Speed is now very precise and 1 point of Speed over another character guarantees the initial turn order.
    • Only in the case of an exact tie is it a coin toss.

Poe Dameron’s balancing changes were made by changing equipment pieces at Gear Lvl II and Gear Lvl III. This was done to avoid as much disruption as possible for players working toward completion of higher Gear Lvls. We aim to make targeted changes such as this as to not directly change the statistics of Gear items as that affects numerous characters who share it.

Due to this targeted approach, the goal was to address his high amount of Tenacity, additional stats were affected – both positively and negatively. These totals are provided at the end of this post.

We value the developer and community relationship but mistakes will happen on both sides when it comes to communication. We’re in this together to make Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes the best game it can be.

With that said, the following are all very important aspects to developing the game:
    • Balance changes will happen. Some popular, some not. It’s a double-edged sword where one side of the fence is pleased and the other is upset.
    • Going forward, if we make a targeted change like this, we will aim to detail out the full and complete change to all statistics. This was our mistake and we own up to that. It was not intended to be a stealth nerf.

Due to the missed communication of Poe, here’s what we’re doing:
    • We’re going to let all of his balance changes remain as they exist today but will keep a close eye on how he’s performing and address accordingly.

The following statistics breakdown is the entirety of changes that affected Poe Dameron at level 70 and his absolute maximum gear level:
    • -23 Strength
    • +15 Agility
    • -7 Intelligence
    • -1 Speed
    • -444 Health
    • +5% Health Steal
    • -15% Tenacity
    • +31 Physical Damage
    • +9 Armor
    • +6 Physical Critical Rating
    • -29 Special Damage

Dont listen to all the hate. This is by far the most toxic whiny community i have seen in years among 50+ games.

You guys are doing WONDERFUL.

Just make sure you rework unused chars like Plo Koon and Clone Sergeant Phase 1 and you are all set. If you are worried about making easy to get chars too strong, just make their early game weak but high investment strong
  • 8 pages

I still see no one point out any change in the meta

Fastest damage wins

Exactly how many toons can survive a round of GS/QFJ assist hits?
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm going to bring a different point: Poe vs Poe teams is still a coin flip since the turn meter hitting everyone exists still.

Not much has changed other than now different toons are "moved up" in the power speed queue-- Poe is still going to beat any team that isn't faster than Poe.

This is just squeezing the proverbial bubble somewhere else. I'm not even upset at the change itself as much as that it's just sort of unimaginative and not solving more issues than it will create.

EDIT: Removed reference - please cease from using phrases like that
    Post edited by JohnnySteelAlpha on

• DoTs are awesome now.

And along came Ackbar!
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Why does anyone care about this change to Poe? Why even change him at all now? With the new way speed works, changing him from 143 to 142 accomplishes almost nothing. Now, he's guaranteed to act before Rey... and Hoth Rebel Scout. Those were the only two characters at exactly 143 speed. So they felt they had to change him for that? I don't get it.

And why are you so upset about this? Do you guys not realize the new speed system is a) better for the game, and b) that the Poe nerf is barely a nerf at all? It seriously altered almost nothing about him now.

Now it's guaranteed to go AFTER Rebel and Rey. You got things backwards. Not just that, now he is guaranteed to actually go after 17 other characters as well. And his turn meter doesn't affect any of those chars, they still ALL get their second turn ALWAYS AND INVARIABLY before ANY Poe Ally slower than Poe.

The only effect of the turn meter is allow an IG-86 go before the 7 chars between Poe and himself and in that bracket there's only Lumi there. Fantastic! Not a nerf.

He can now be stun, debuffed, or one shot by a QGJ assist. It's easier to move a FOTP through an assist from GS, QGJ and the ither assisters now faster than Poe, that using a tank to defend a squishy char.

Nerfed:
    - Speed
    - HP
    - Time meter (due to speed mechanic, huge effect)
    - Expose
    - Tenacity
    - Strength
    - Special Damage
    - Intelligence

Why not also remove his taunt? The time meter removal is now useless except versus Ventress and the Uber slow tanks and even the questionable as those chars go last anyway.

• 17 other characters? Where in the world are you getting this from? I count 7, and most of them don't see play. (8, assuming Yoda probably breaks 143 as well.)

And yes, sorry, I typo'd there... he now acts AFTER Rey and Hoth Rebel Scout. That was his only change in the speed going from 143 to 142. How often you facing off against Hoth Rebel Scout? This change basically says "Poe now acts after Rey guaranteed"
  • People just like to complain and less inclined to thread carefully to what's written. Poe is still the most useful tank and what matters most is not that, it is the speed meta. As much as I hate Poe's balancing since I own him myself, I think less reliance on RNG for turns will lead to more strategy and thoughtfulness of how to act in the game.

@EA_Jesse

Maybe moderator should add one more paragraph on the front page stressing how the new speed meta works by example to show that Poe's balancing (or nerf if you like) does not significantly degrade his utility. People just know their dedicated character nerfed and got mad instead without really thinking through.
  • Mindset of poe whiners: my character got balance but is still useful please refund me for choosing to spend in game currency on the character. Why stop there why nor ask for a refund for the time spent playing the game at a base rate of minimum wage per hr played
  • I think making this change to speed AND nerfing Poe was dumb. This change to speed fixed a lot of issues with Poe and they should have made the change to speed FIRST, and waited to see how much of an effect it had on the meta as a result, before making further changes to Poe.

Before the speed change, going from 143 to 142 was night and day. Now, after the speed change, going from 143 to 142 means almost nothing. Why do both? Why not one or the other? This was a needless double change.
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    17 other characters? Where in the world are you getting this from? I count 7, and most of them don't see play. (8, assuming Yoda probably breaks 143 as well.)

I think he's counting speed after leader skills. Which I'm not sure is going to be a given. Though he could be right and all of the top 20 will use speed leaders and Poe could become useless in those cases. (Though this could have happened without any nerf to Poe fwiw). We'll see.

• Qeltar wrote: »
    If I'm CG, one of the takeways for me from this thread is:
    Never ever release advance patch notes again. People wondered why they didn't used to do it? Now you know why. Because there will be mistakes, and people go insane.

If I'm CG, my takeaway is that big balance changes need to be broadcast from the hills weeks in advance, otherwise it's the Barriss nerf every time. Preferably, said broadcast would be in game, to boot.

FFS, they said explicitly in the patch notes that the expose/tenacity adjustment wouldn't necessarily be the last, and that more adjustments might be coming after further observation. Then this gets thrown in our laps before those changes have even taken effect? C'mon son!

P. S. I used all my Cantina tokens on QGJ, and never even unlocked Poe, btw. I hope no refunds go out, if only due to how LONG Poe dominated Arena, and how many resources would've been gained in that period.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Telaan wrote: »

I know bro. I've been lol'ing at these chicken little posts all night long.

Yea it sucks that these changes weren't published. But intentionally misled....? What would the logic behind that be? They know people would figure it out in about 0.5 seconds anyway. This seems more like a case of a poorly organized effort to do the right thing.

You can't understand. They either did it to make Rey go first (a slow farm that bringing in loads of cash) or they where going to put in tick 8, but the time meter made it irrelevant.

They had stated their word in written they would wait to see how things behaved AFTER today's launch BASED ON monitoring. CG very fast calls those that used regular in game mechanics to get an achievement multiple times and in a recent post they accused all of them of Shard Laundry (which is not true...as soon as you click in the Shard Shop you must convert...no other button is there) and banned them against CG word not to do it. These people had spent additional money in the game after that reasurance, and are now banned - they took their money...where is their refund? Unethical. One thing using a badly coded behaviour tonget a virtual shard, another entirely is tell them "I won't ban you" and accept the $ funds, then ban them.

Poe was stated to not be messed up more before monitoring AFTER this went live (today), and it wasn't true. We had very detailed notes abiut Poe nerf, and even every minor in-game change, yet nothing about the submarine nerf. As all this results in money spent where we would have, this is akin to stealing money, even if you didn't intend to do it - it must be returned to the rightful owner.

My money is gone, it went to them, many intended to buy what they stated they would get and they switched it. This is just plain wrong and it goes well beyond communication, just as calling Apple and Android users Launders after an in game bug, banning them after they spent money in between their promise not to ban them and today's light and easy "bye bye ill intended cheaters and abusers and launders...you are banned".

This is not right. I expect someone higher at the CG structure to think about this and where they want to take things.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    @naecabon, count speed after any buff from Speed granting leaders to arrive to 17.

Also, besides those 17, that small change means Rey goes before Poe, and will one show the new HP-nerfed Poe.

Ask an ally to lend you a 7* Rey with ability 7 and try for yourself. You think I am deluding but maybe I am not. The change actually gurantees that whenever Rey is present, either Poe or the more valuable char it wanted to protect, is now dead. Like a droid team with only IG-86 is of any use.

That single change compounds with the other dozen+ chars acting before and the now useless time meter reduction will ensure whatever Poe wanted to protect is long dead.

Poe is now as good as Chewy if not worst. Only followed by the Eworks and Ugnaut. Wait two weeks and you'll see. Right now it may apoear not. Give it 15 days so you can see full speed teams acting.
  • Naecabon wrote: »
    17 other characters? Where in the world are you getting this from? I count 7, and most of them don't see play. (8, assuming Yoda probably breaks 143 as well.)

I think he's counting speed after leader skills. Which I'm not sure is going to be a given. Though he could be right and all of the top 20 will use speed leaders and Poe could become useless in those cases. (Though this could have happened without any nerf to Poe fwiw). We'll see.

Ahh okay, sure. I forget that's a thing now.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Never ever release advance patch notes again. People wondered why they didn't used to do it? Now you know why. Because there will be mistakes, and people go insane.

If I'm CG, my takeaway is that big balance changes need to be broadcast from the hills weeks in advance, otherwise it's the Barriss nerf every time. Preferably, said broadcast would be in game, to boot.

FFS, they said explicitly in the patch notes that the expose/tenacity adjustment wouldn't necessarily be the last, and that more adjustments might be coming after further observation. Then this gets thrown in our laps before those changes have even taken effect? C'mon son!

P. S. I used all my Cantina tokens on QGJ, and never even unlocked Poe, btw. I hope no refunds go out, if only due to how LONG Poe dominated Arena, and how many resources would've been gained in that period.

Big surprise you were calling for a nerf on the character you chose not to farm. Nicely done homer.

For those who don't know a homer is someone who always roots for the home team no matter how wrong they might be.
  • I like Dooku more and more with each passing minute... Him, QGJ and Sid, thats a lot of dmg coming out very fast and on top of it Lumi went to 141 which is a sweet thing.

Now with this speed change we lost that rng based turns that sometimes are really interesting. With speed change you know if you have Phasma going last in your party, Fire at Will will be the thing :) Not as before where sometimes Phasma went 2nd, sometimes last. I like it, This way you can plan your strategy and adjust. Problem is, you cannot hide behind leaders anymore. PVP will be bloodbath but at the end same 15-20 toons will be used.
  • Also, QGJ vs QGJ is a **** toss, and so Rey vs Reu, and Ework Scout vs Ework Scout. Apparently, I am missing tour point because now Poe protects nothing, essy to one shot and the turn meter does very very little except skip Luminara if you have Droids and a few niche alt setups.
  • Come on guys, everyone who plays any game where balance is important (a turn rpg is one of these) should have known that Poe was simply OverPowered because of his set of skills AND his speed (according to the entire damage/hp actual issue) When a charachter can decide ALONE the result of a match he should be nerfed.. Release notes were wrong and this is a problem, but Poe was OP. An the only solution was to nerf him!
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Also, QGJ vs QGJ is a **** toss, and so Rey vs Reu, and Ework Scout vs Ework Scout. Apparently, I am missing tour point because now Poe protects nothing, essy to one shot and the turn meter does very very little except skip Luminara if you have Droids and a few niche alt setups.

Your point is different. Poe vs Poe is absolute: turn meter nuking the other guy means your whole team goes first. (Unless you are able to build a big 7* speed team that you're talking about).

Rey vs Rey can only one shot one character. Poe vs Poe-- whomever wins, wins, generally.
  • I swear these must be a bunch of outsourced Indian developers now. I'm not even upset at the change itself as much as that it's just sort of unimaginative and not solving more issues than it will create.

What, now the Indians are the problem? If you want to generalize, why don't you read up on how many Indians actually contribute to the whole IT scenario? Of all the ****, vitriolic posts that seem to thrown here, you take the crown. How do you even... Ah, forget it. Why am I even responding here....
  • MenaceTEC wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »

Big surprise you were calling for a nerf on the character you chose not to farm. Nicely done homer.

For those who don't know a homer is someone who always roots for the home team no matter how wrong they might be.

Your tears sustain me, keep it up.
  • ilyanor wrote: »
    Come on guys, everyone who plays any game where balance is important (a turn rpg is one of these) should have known that Poe was simply OverPowered because of his set of skills AND his speed (according to the entire damage/hp actual issue) When a charachter can decide ALONE the result of a match he should be nerfed.. Release notes were wrong and this is a problem, but Poe was OP. An the only solution was to nerf him!

By this defenition half a dozen other characters are OP and deserve nerfs.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Also, QGJ vs QGJ is a **** toss, and so Rey vs Reu, and Ework Scout vs Ework Scout. Apparently, I am missing tour point because now Poe protects nothing, essy to one shot and the turn meter does very very little except skip Luminara if you have Droids and a few niche alt setups.

Your point is different. Poe vs Poe is absolute: turn meter nuking the other guy means your whole team goes first. (Unless you are able to build a big 7* speed team that you're talking about).

Rey vs Rey can only one shot one character. Poe vs Poe-- whomever wins, wins, generally.

What turn nuking? 17 chars can go before Poe. What do you think most teams will use? There are very few chars that will be affected by this, like Talia and Ventress ...come on. ALSO...read what I said: if a char goes before Poe (17+ now can do it) they are NOT affected by the turn meter in any useful way. Why? Because thise chars are faster than Poe, and Poe reduces a turn meter that has alresdy reset and barely full. Eg. Eeth leader buff Qi Gon ... Which has 142+9 speed. So Poe reduces this 0...just a 7% reduction. In the next turn, QGJ still goes BEFORE Poe and before any char slower than Poe. And the 8 delay in soeed can only be usefull if the Poe team has all fast chars close in speed to enemy Qui Gon... Which doesn't happen because then Poe would be wasted in the entire first turn to get a minor advantage too late. Worst than using Royal Guard.

Before rhis change turn meter was useful As only a few chars would be gurateed to go before him. Tiday, Poe's turn meter is worst than Talia's turn meter effect.

• MenaceTEC wrote: »
    ilyanor wrote: »
    Come on guys, everyone who plays any game where balance is important (a turn rpg is one of these) should have known that Poe was simply OverPowered because of his set of skills AND his speed (according to the entire damage/hp actual issue) When a charachter can decide ALONE the result of a match he should be nerfed.. Release notes were wrong and this is a problem, but Poe was OP. An the only solution was to nerf him!

False equivalency. Those half dozen characters aren't absolutely necessary to win like Poe was.
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    What, now the Indians are the problem? If you want to generalize, why don't you read up on how many Indians actually contribute to the whole IT scenario? Of all the ****, vitriolic posts that seem to thrown here, you take the crown. How do you even... Ah, forget it. Why am I even responding here....

I'm talking about a general trend in the industry of releasing a game until it is viable and monetizing itself and then outsource the maintenance of said software. This usually results in weird and seemingly random decisions occurring, as it is not the initial developers who are doing the work. It happens.

Edit: the update makes no sense. Why even change the speed of Poe to 142 if you're making the speed revamp. Read: it's almost like two different teams are doing this-- and not communicating amongst each other at that.
  • My first char was Daka from cantina. I collected additinal 30 shards when QGJ was sent to cantina . I had QGJ as first additional char in the game lotted from the card. 2 stars , it was time to remove him from the team near 60l but a surprise - shards in cantina. I stopped Daka and decided to spent additional 100 diamonds every day for farm QGJ to seventh star (never done it before).
    Why not Poe ? It was clear , poe like before update was no sense. The char with taunt is tank . Tank can not be fast (it is strange to nerf him only -1 speed SHOULD BE MORE!!!!) but he should be slow but full of health and other buffs for longering own life. Second; I prefere balanced team instead of play with weak Tie pilot which will be killed at once in first strike if taunt will not safe him.
    QGJ was my solution for Poe's taunt and Lesser's replacer in the team. I am lucky , I had correct sight from the begining.
    I am glad Poe was balanced. It is first step I hope and we will se next with additional speed down. When I will max my QGJ I will continue Daka , next I will think , but will it be Poe ? I do not know.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    MenaceTEC wrote: »
    ilyanor wrote: »

False equivalency. Those half dozen characters aren't absolutely necessary to win like Poe was.

False pretense. Poe wasn't needed to win, much less so with the time mechanics change. There was no nerf needed. and there was a written notificarion rhis would not happen after monitoring the situation days or weeks after today.

Are some or many people happy it's destroyed? Yes. Is nerfing a-la-Barris a good thing for the game? You'll have too see this a few months from now. I won't be able to tell. But I am expressing my dissapointment with this fiasco.

• @EA_Jesse good change bud i still use my Poe for GW and i am glad he was brought into line. I see people miss the *i win button* but it was very lame.

Good change love it

Hope you guys are still up for fixing packs for us supporters.

Mofojokers
This discussion has been closed.