Character reveal Megathread

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    A short search on Wookiepedia is enough to see why he is indeed a fan favourite. Besides the 4 books and the rebels show he appeared or was mentioned in dozens of other sources (Books, Comics and Games). The canon version of him also appears in Force Arena and is mentioned in the book Aftermath.

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

Survivors Quest is also tied to Outbound Flight but takes place after the Thrawn Trilogy

Does anyone else find it odd that Thrawn fans feel the need to justify his release by citing everything he's been in? When R2 was released, there was no such "defense"... as it wasn't needed.

That's the oddity with the choice as Thrawn as a "fan favorite"...by definition, a "fan favorite" should be fairly universal. Like him or not, Thrawn isn't that.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Well, i wouldn't say SW is for kids, or at least not the movies (maybe EP 1 was childish indeed,)... With all the killing and force choking and arms and legs being chopped off.... And war.... Mass murdering an entire faction... Destroying an entire planet...

Idk about the TV shows though, i've only watched TCW from cartoon network (awesome btw)... I haven't watched any 3D shows since then...
  • Sure thrawn is in game because of a kids show, its current and popular. But isnt all star wars a "kids show"? Really, barney the dinosaur is live action so must be for adults.
    The clone wars from cartoon network and rebels on disney xd have much more to them then the trilogies, sure the tv episodes are abbreviated to fit in the time slots but so are the movies.

My point is star wars is for kids, everyone stop pretending you are too grown up to enjoy anything new and only count what you watched when you were a kid. Grow up and watch the **** cartoons already :p

High five, right here. If you are in this forum, you are nerd enough to watch a cartoon.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    A short search on Wookiepedia is enough to see why he is indeed a fan favourite. Besides the 4 books and the rebels show he appeared or was mentioned in dozens of other sources (Books, Comics and Games). The canon version of him also appears in Force Arena and is mentioned in the book Aftermath.

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

Survivors Quest is also tied to Outbound Flight but takes place after the Thrawn Trilogy

Does anyone else find it odd that Thrawn fans feel the need to justify his release by citing everything he's been in? When R2 was released, there was no such "defense"... as it wasn't needed.

That's the oddity with the choice as Thrawn as a "fan favorite"...by definition, a "fan favorite" should be fairly universal. Like him or not, Thrawn isn't that.

If you read the person i qouted he claimed he was in 4 books, i was letting him know he missed one.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

Those of us who know who he is find it odd that there are SW fans out there who don't know. The reason we list these things is to help you find out more about the character because his is a great story. We want to help you grow into the best SW geek that you can be!

Granted, there are different levels of fans and different levels of exposure for each fan, but while Thrawn's story has not made it into a film, he has been a very popular part of the EU for nearly 25 years. Indeed, it borders on hypocrisy to call yourself a SW fan and have no knowledge of the blue man. I myself wouldn't go that far, but some would.

R2 is pervasive in all aspects of SW. Nobody needs to list his appearances because if you don't know who R2 is, then there is just no hope for your SW geek side.
  • The0n3 wrote: »
    Well, i wouldn't say SW is for kids, or at least not the movies (maybe EP 1 was childish indeed,)... With all the killing and force choking and arms and legs being chopped off.... And war.... Mass murdering an entire faction... Destroying an entire planet...

Idk about the TV shows though, i've only watched TCW from cartoon network (awesome btw)... I haven't watched any 3D shows since then...

We are a warlike species. We revel in slaughter of all kinds. Our children are weened on it.
  • I agree. You shouldn't have to justify why Thrawn is a "fan fave." Plenty of other characters could have been released instead. I am disappointed in the recent moves (except for R2, that is). Fun fact: ships came out more than 6 months ago. We need content, not characters. My only guess is that CG is releasing a bunch of new characters so that we will have more characters to use for a new raid. Hopeful wishing that is
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

It's very strange the extent they're going to for defending a fictional character.
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

Who cares?
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    R2 is pervasive in all aspects of SW. Nobody needs to list his appearances because if you don't know who R2 is, then there is just no hope for your SW geek side.
    Nobody needs to list R2's appearances because it would be far easier to list the content that he hasn't appeared in.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    It's very strange the extent they're going to for defending a fictional character.
    Or, alternately, it shows just how amazing said fictional character is by seeing the lengths people will go to defend his "fan favorite" descriptor.

swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    First of all, let's clear up the definition of "Fan Favorite". If you are truly a fan of Star Wars, and you have a favorite character, then by definition, that is a Fan Favorite character. So now that we understand the definition of a "Fan Favorite" character it follows that by definition both Jango Fett and Grand Admiral Thrawn are fan favorite characters. Great, I'm glad we got that behind us.

Now let's address the definition of the word "fan" which, as mentioned previously, is derived from fanatic. You watched a few of the movies and you liked them, does that make you a fan? This seems to be the opinion of some people on the forums, but that doesn't seems very fanatical to me.
    Okay, well lets say you watched all 6 movies and loved them, and that led you to play this game, but your interest ends there since you still don't really care enough about Star Wars to look into any of the lore outside of the movies, canon or not. Does that count as a fan? Again, some people on the forums seem to think that that's all it takes to be considered a Star Wars fanatic. Once more, I'm not sure I can really agree with that.
    To me, a Star Wars "fan" (or fanatic) is someone who would probably own all 8 movies, and having watched them multiple times is eager for more. When you find out that there is an animated series (which is VERY well made by the way) that is both canon and covers the events of the Clone Wars that occurred between Episodes 2 and 3, a fan wouldn't scoff and say that it's beneath them to watch it simply because it's animated. That just doesn't sound like a fan at all. A Star Wars fanatic would jump at the opportunity to watch the rest of Darth Mauls story play out in beautiful animation. They'd be eager to see how the war between the separatists and the Republic plays out... They'd be ecstatic for the chance to view the war from the perspective of the Jedi, the Clones, the citizens themselves, the Sith, the Pirates, the Bounty Hunters, the Slaves, and even the Droids themselves. There are SOO many good stories and characters that you'll only find in the Clone Wars series, and they're all canon. Since the total screen time of JUST the clone wars series exceeds that of the movies many, many times over, you might say that the movies are only a small fraction of the overall story that is Star Wars. How can you call yourself a fan of Star Wars if you'll only explore a small fraction of the story?

I can't do the Clone Wars series enough justice in this thread alone, but if you haven't seen it then you're doing yourself a grave injustice. It isn't just some kiddie flick, it IS Star Wars, and for anyone to knock it simply because it is animated just displays a level of ignorance that is unbecoming of anyone that is claiming to be a Star Wars fan. The animation is absolutely fantastic and they're able to easily display sequences in animation that would be VERY difficult to do in a movie. This allows them to show us the power of the force in ways that you just won't ever see in the films. On top of that, when they're not limited to the 2-2½ hour block that a movie must fit into, they're able to give us much richer details, characters, and stories. From the Clone Wars series we get a MUCH, MUCH (cannot emphasize this enough here) better version of Anakin... One that you can actually enjoy watching. We get a much more rich and detailed version of Obi-Wan Kenobi, his love story, his witty dialog, and his rivalries with Maul, General Grievous, and many others. We get Ventress, mother Talzin, Maul, Savage, and the entire story of the Night Sister Clan. We get Ahsoka, Barris, General Krell, Hondo and his pirates. We get Rex, Fives, the Bad Batch, and all of the other Clones that people have come to love. We get the original story of Saw Gerrera, his sister, and his rebel fighters. We get more information on Jabba the Hutt, Zero, and the rest of the Hutt clan. We get the story of a young fledgling Boba Fett as he joins the bounty hunter world and a plethora of other amazing Bounty Hunters (like Cad Bane) and their stories. We learn much more about Mandalor, it's history, governing practices, main players, and factions. We get Clan Vizsla and the Dark Lightsaber wielding Mandalorian Pre-Vizsla. We get to see a maniacal General Grievous in action along with many of his victories and defeats. We get to see a young Tarkin progress through the imperial ranks and buddy up to Jedi Anakin. We get enormous space battles, intense light saber duels, entrenched ground assaults, powerful monsters, beautiful alien worlds, mysterious creatures, and deadly war machines. I could honesty go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Star Wars Rebels is another amazing addition to the Star Wars saga and details some of the events between Episode 3 and Rogue One, along with another line up of amazing characters and stories. It delves deeper into the stories of Ahsoka, Maul, Saw Gerrera, Young Tarkin, Hondo, Mandalor, Darth Vader, and many others. We get appearances from Leah, Lando, Yoda, senator Organa, and other Star Wars original characters. We get a fantastic new line up of characters which includes Phoenix Squad, inquisitors, Bendu, Agent Kallus, Governor Pryce, Gar Saxon, Fenn Rau, and many others. Then Disney made the excellent decision to taking one of, if not THE most popular EU character of all, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and brought him out of Legends and into Canon by making him the primary antagonist in Rebels season 3.

If you chose to pass on these stories then how can you really call yourself a fan? More of the Star Wars saga is told outside of the movies then in them. If you haven't read any of the books or watched the animated series', which are just as much a part of the Star Wars Canon as the movies are, then you've limited yourself to a very small part of a very big picture. You may LIKE the movies, and you may LIKE the small portion of the story that you have, but if you don't care about the rest of it, then you shouldn't call yourself a fan of Star Wars, and you shouldn't complain when a character from the Star Wars Canon comes up that you haven't heard of. At most, you're a fan of the Star Wars movies, that is not the same as being a fan of Star Wars.
  • Lots of people care, including me. You are free to attach your own level of care as you see fit as well. Happy gaming to the lot of you, see you in the arena.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Hes in 5 books.
    Who cares?
    Lol, really? From your sig, you're an author.
    Tell me, have you sold 15 million copies of your books?
    You know what? Who cares?
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    Who's Thrawn?
    Is he from the computer games or the cartoons?

@nevertellmetheodds , et. al.
    Grand Admiral Thrawn was introduced by author Timothy Zahn in the Heir to the Empire trilogy of novels. Fans loved the character. A brilliant tactician commanding the ISD Chimera, he was relegated to the galactic outer rim mainly due to prejudice against alien races commanding star destroyers. After the Battle of Endor, he takes over the Imperial fleet and mounts an offensive against the New Republic using a new army of clones and very nearly succeeds.
    AdmiralAlienAndCaptainMustache.jpg

Due to his popularity, Vice Admiral Thrawn then reappeared in the Lucasarts video game TIE Fighter, where he was tasked with eliminating the insurgent threat of Admiral Zaarin and those loyal to him. Fans rejoiced to have more Thrawn material to expand his character, and to be honored to serve in his fleet.
    2696552-admiral-thrawn-tie-fighter.jpg

After that, he made appearances in other novels as well as comics. Then he was reintroduced to a whole new generation of Star Wars fans in the animated series, Star Wars Rebels, officially canonizing his existence, although the previous material has not been blessed by Disney.
    0.jpg

But the new novel Thrawn is canon, and is fairly faithful to Zahn's established story in his earlier novels. And it is an excellent read, even if it does not include Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando, or any of our other SW characters we are familiar with.
    9cf9e05cb67d2ddfee1ee2181e98934b.jpg

And now, he is making another appearance in a video game that you are lucky enough to be a part of. Do yourself a favor and look into this character.

Nerd out.

+1 (this)
  • if you actually like star wars outside of the original trilogy, then you have at least heard of thrawn. This makes him a fan favorite. Anybody arguing otherwise wants wicket or jedi luke... (or a gamorrean/ tusken)

personally... I could go for the dark side jawa that appears in the rpg compendium.
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    By the way:

Dave Filoni stated: “You couldn’t have grown up a Star Wars fan without encountering Thrawn in Heir to the Empire. It was a dark time when there weren’t any more movies, and it blew our minds that there could be more" when illustrating how important the character was for the expanded universe and the impact of bringing the character back into canon.
    -"Star Wars Rebels resurrects Grand Admiral Thrawn". Entertainment Weekly
  • VinhSolo
    52 posts Member
    His description needs to be something like: Cunning Empire Support who is always one step ahead of his enemies.
  • A short search on Wookiepedia is enough to see why he is indeed a fan favourite. Besides the 4 books and the rebels show he appeared or was mentioned in dozens of other sources (Books, Comics and Games). The canon version of him also appears in Force Arena and is mentioned in the book Aftermath.

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

Who cares?

The Person who i replied to cared enough to look up info on Wookiepedia.

They posted incorrect info so i figured id correct them should they have gained interest in learning of the character
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Sloa wrote: »

I like this idea, also the ability to zoom in on faces would be nice

Sabine one should have a child lock feature though, could scare the children
  • Thrawn ability: all enemies cannot be affected by heal over time effects. Boom.
  • Thrawn ability: all enemies cannot be affected by heal over time effects. Boom.

Id be more interested in a dispell that debuffed the enemies with what was dispelled.

But that doesnt really hurt rebels much
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    @Spyda
    Y
    E
    S
  • Synric
    62 posts Member
    Spyda wrote: »
    First of all, let's clear up the definition of "Fan Favorite". If you are truly a fan of Star Wars, and you have a favorite character, then by definition, that is a Fan Favorite character. So now that we understand the definition of a "Fan Favorite" character it follows that by definition both Jango Fett and Grand Admiral Thrawn are fan favorite characters. Great, I'm glad we got that behind us.

Now let's address the definition of the word "fan" which, as mentioned previously, is derived from fanatic. You watched a few of the movies and you liked them, does that make you a fan? This seems to be the opinion of some people on the forums, but that doesn't seems very fanatical to me.
    Okay, well lets say you watched all 6 movies and loved them, and that led you to play this game, but your interest ends there since you still don't really care enough about Star Wars to look into any of the lore outside of the movies, canon or not. Does that count as a fan? Again, some people on the forums seem to think that that's all it takes to be considered a Star Wars fanatic. Once more, I'm not sure I can really agree with that.
    To me, a Star Wars "fan" (or fanatic) is someone who would probably own all 8 movies, and having watched them multiple times is eager for more. When you find out that there is an animated series (which is VERY well made by the way) that is both canon and covers the events of the Clone Wars that occurred between Episodes 2 and 3, a fan wouldn't scoff and say that it's beneath them to watch it simply because it's animated. That just doesn't sound like a fan at all. A Star Wars fanatic would jump at the opportunity to watch the rest of Darth Mauls story play out in beautiful animation. They'd be eager to see how the war between the separatists and the Republic plays out... They'd be ecstatic for the chance to view the war from the perspective of the Jedi, the Clones, the citizens themselves, the Sith, the Pirates, the Bounty Hunters, the Slaves, and even the Droids themselves. There are SOO many good stories and characters that you'll only find in the Clone Wars series, and they're all canon. Since the total screen time of JUST the clone wars series exceeds that of the movies many, many times over, you might say that the movies are only a small fraction of the overall story that is Star Wars. How can you call yourself a fan of Star Wars if you'll only explore a small fraction of the story?

I can't do the Clone Wars series enough justice in this thread alone, but if you haven't seen it then you're doing yourself a grave injustice. It isn't just some kiddie flick, it IS Star Wars, and for anyone to knock it simply because it is animated just displays a level of ignorance that is unbecoming of anyone that is claiming to be a Star Wars fan. The animation is absolutely fantastic and they're able to easily display sequences in animation that would be VERY difficult to do in a movie. This allows them to show us the power of the force in ways that you just won't ever see in the films. On top of that, when they're not limited to the 2-2½ hour block that a movie must fit into, they're able to give us much richer details, characters, and stories. From the Clone Wars series we get a MUCH, MUCH (cannot emphasize this enough here) better version of Anakin... One that you can actually enjoy watching. We get a much more rich and detailed version of Obi-Wan Kenobi, his love story, his witty dialog, and his rivalries with Maul, General Grievous, and many others. We get Ventress, mother Talzin, Maul, Savage, and the entire story of the Night Sister Clan. We get Ahsoka, Barris, General Krell, Hondo and his pirates. We get Rex, Fives, the Bad Batch, and all of the other Clones that people have come to love. We get the original story of Saw Gerrera, his sister, and his rebel fighters. We get more information on Jabba the Hutt, Zero, and the rest of the Hutt clan. We get the story of a young fledgling Boba Fett as he joins the bounty hunter world and a plethora of other amazing Bounty Hunters (like Cad Bane) and their stories. We learn much more about Mandalor, it's history, governing practices, main players, and factions. We get Clan Vizsla and the Dark Lightsaber wielding Mandalorian Pre-Vizsla. We get to see a maniacal General Grievous in action along with many of his victories and defeats. We get to see a young Tarkin progress through the imperial ranks and buddy up to Jedi Anakin. We get enormous space battles, intense light saber duels, entrenched ground assaults, powerful monsters, beautiful alien worlds, mysterious creatures, and deadly war machines. I could honesty go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Star Wars Rebels is another amazing addition to the Star Wars saga and details some of the events between Episode 3 and Rogue One, along with another line up of amazing characters and stories. It delves deeper into the stories of Ahsoka, Maul, Saw Gerrera, Young Tarkin, Hondo, Mandalor, Darth Vader, and many others. We get appearances from Leah, Lando, Yoda, senator Organa, and other Star Wars original characters. We get a fantastic new line up of characters which includes Phoenix Squad, inquisitors, Bendu, Agent Kallus, Governor Pryce, Gar Saxon, Fenn Rau, and many others. Then Disney made the excellent decision to taking one of, if not THE most popular EU character of all, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and brought him out of Legends and into Canon by making him the primary antagonist in Rebels season 3.

If you chose to pass on these stories then how can you really call yourself a fan? More of the Star Wars saga is told outside of the movies then in them. If you haven't read any of the books or watched the animated series', which are just as much a part of the Star Wars Canon as the movies are, then you've limited yourself to a very small part of a very big picture. You may LIKE the movies, and you may LIKE the small portion of the story that you have, but if you don't care about the rest of it, then you shouldn't call yourself a fan of Star Wars, and you shouldn't complain when a character from the Star Wars Canon comes up that you haven't heard of. At most, you're a fan of the Star Wars movies, that is not the same as being a fan of Star Wars.

+1. This person gets it.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    VinhSolo wrote: »
    His description needs to be something like: Cunning Empire Support who is always one step ten steps ahead of his enemies.
    ~Fixed.
  • Synric wrote: »
    Spyda wrote: »

+1. This person gets it.

+2
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Sure but there are a plethora of characters to choose from. Think about all the popular videogames or even from the movies themselves! Instead we get a character that is known for being in a book series the majority of star wars fan probably didn't read. Announcing it being a fan favorite is baffling considering all the more well known and more liked characters.
    Speculation.

Because YOU'VE never heard of it doesn't mean fans haven't heard of it.
    Oh really? Go ask anyone who enjoyed the movies and considers themselves fans if they have heard of Thrawn. Most people will probably not have the slightest clue you are talking about. If they wanted more people to spend money why not add a character that everyone knows?
  • Star Wars Fans are really silly sometimes.
  • I love star wars, but I don't watch the cartoons. Guess I've been fooling myself all these years, because the "enlightened" ones here on the forums tell me I am not a fan, when I've always considered myself a fan. Wow, all these years I've been living a lie. The least you could have done was be polite and let me live my lie.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Sure but there are a plethora of characters to choose from. Think about all the popular videogames or even from the movies themselves! Instead we get a character that is known for being in a book series the majority of star wars fan probably didn't read. Announcing it being a fan favorite is baffling considering all the more well known and more liked characters.
    Speculation.

Because YOU'VE never heard of it doesn't mean fans haven't heard of it.
    Oh really? Go ask anyone who enjoyed the movies and considers themselves fans if they have heard of Thrawn. Most people will probably not have the slightest clue you are talking about. If they wanted more people to spend money why not add a character that everyone knows?

Or you know if they wanted to sell books or draw people to the cartoon hes o why not include him in a popular game?
This discussion has been closed.