Leader skill should die with the leader!

Kurgen
226 posts Member
When are they going to fix this so that leader skills stop working when the leader is dead?

This is a broken mechanic currently.

Replies

• Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    So do you want unique abilities (which currently die with the character) to work after that character is dead? Do you want there to be no mechanic difference between Leader and Unique? Or do you want some other "fix?"
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Working perfectly. No change needed.
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    They would have to rebalance the whole game if they made this change, or else low HP characters would rarely be used as leaders.
  • It's WAI if anything it should be an increased effect when they die as the leaders sacrifice inspires Your characters to fight.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Can't fix that which is not broken.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kurgen
    226 posts Member
    Lol... uniques should die with the char as should leader skills. If there's a bonus when they die then fair enough but that's where it should end.

Just because something has been in the game since the start doesn't mean it should stay.

Might make people try some different teams that protect the leader rather than the current 2 or 3 metas...

I man guessing most of the respondents either use maul or Rex...
  • Kurgen wrote: »
    Lol... uniques should die with the char as should leader skills. If there's a bonus when they die then fair enough but that's where it should end.

Just because something has been in the game since the start doesn't mean it should stay.

Might make people try some different teams that protect the leader rather than the current 2 or 3 metas...

Well stop being a complete **** and don't try to change stuff that isn't even broken. BTW, I use Zyn lead.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Kurgen wrote: »

Oh so this is a thinly veiled "nerf Rex" post. That explains a lot.

Leader abilities should stay put. They are supposed to be more powerful than uniques. So many characters would be trash without their leader ability persisting.

Hate this idea. Don't see any good reason for it. The game was designed around things as they are.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    When are they going to fix this so that leader skills stop working when the leader is dead?

I'd probably make up stuff too if I kept losing to inferior squads.

x6uZZ7h.gif

-1 no need for this. At all. You can think about it this way... just bc your leader dies doesn't mean you forget what they taught you. Leader bonuses should remain after they die.
  • Easy fix. Just fight opponents with toons in the leader slot that have no leader skill.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Think of leadership abilities as a "battle plan" or "pep talk" before the battle (i.e. aggressive, stealthy, defensive, play fast, etc.) If a coach suddenly left the bench, the team wouldn't suddenly forget the game plan.

Secondly, players already run team that protect guys - heck, Chaze is used to protect DN most of the time.

Third, since almost 70% of the top players run either Rex or Maul as the lead (https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/) - you're not exactly stepping out.

Finally, as others have already stated, it works as it has always been intended - and it works fine. You know when you attack a team what the leadership ability is and what it does. Some of the "strategy" is learning how to play around the enemy's leadership ability. If they're running Zaul, toss is R2 to burn 'em or B2 to buff-block. Rex lead? B2 works there too, as does a quick "Daze and Stun" of Rex (and the rest of his team). Darth Nihilus lead also can work against Rex, as the Sith don't crit, giving his team TM.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Just food for thought - a part of Vader's leader ability stops working when he dies. His leader ability, I think, is the only one in the game that functions this way. I'm a big Empire supporter and this has always bothered me.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Think of leadership abilities as a "battle plan" or "pep talk" before the battle (i.e. aggressive, stealthy, defensive, play fast, etc.) If a coach suddenly left the bench, the team wouldn't suddenly forget the game plan.

Secondly, players already run team that protect guys - heck, Chaze is used to protect DN most of the time.

Third, since almost 70% of the top players run either Rex or Maul as the lead (https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/) - you're not exactly stepping out.

Finally, as others have already stated, it works as it has always been intended - and it works fine. You know when you attack a team what the leadership ability is and what it does. Some of the "strategy" is learning how to play around the enemy's leadership ability. If they're running Zaul, toss is R2 to burn 'em or B2 to buff-block. Rex lead? B2 works there too, as does a quick "Daze and Stun" of Rex (and the rest of his team). Darth Nihilus lead also can work against Rex, as the Sith don't crit, giving his team TM.

That's a great analogy

'Something' has been in the game since the start because it was meant as such.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Mega_Man wrote: »
    Just food for thought - a part of Vader's leader ability stops working when he dies. His leader ability, I think, is the only one in the game that functions this way. I'm a big Empire supporter and this has always bothered me.

That ability should really be split into a separate Unique ability instead since Devs have decided to differentiate that Leader Abilities persist beyond death and Unique Abilities persist till death. Rather than creating an exception and then explicitly stating that it is a Leader Ability that acts like a Unique.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Just food for thought - a part of Vader's leader ability stops working when he dies. His leader ability, I think, is the only one in the game that functions this way. I'm a big Empire supporter and this has always bothered me.

"always"? C'mon brohan, that part of his leadership ability was added when his Zeta ability was added...like 6 months ago and that has always been worded that way, else it would be OP. He's already one of the top 3 Zetas in the game by most people's way of looking at it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Huatimus wrote: »

That ability should really be split into a separate Unique ability instead since Devs have decided to differentiate that Leader Abilities persist beyond death and Unique Abilities persist till death. Rather than creating an exception and then explicitly stating that it is a Leader Ability that acts like a Unique.

The problem is, his 2 special abilities are already at Level 8.

• Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

If you can give Tarkin a 5th skill that is a Unique, why can't Vader get a 5th skill that is a Unique?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

If you can give Tarkin a 5th skill that is a Unique, why can't Vader get a 5th skill that is a Unique?

Not that you couldn't - but obviously, the "DoTs remain" thing is pretty powerful and there really isn't a way to have multiple levels of it. I think they added to his leadership ability because it is powerful (and well themed with the rest of his kit) - but they probably didn't want to have to design and entirely new unique ability and then add the Zeta at the end.

• Vertigo
    4496 posts Member

True, but what part would become his unique? Most people zeta'd vader's leader because of everything it brought, you can't really change that to be a unique now and make it a non-zeta ability. They could however make his unique do a little something else, and then have the zeta upgrade of his unique double the TMR and TMR chance from his leader ability AND make DOTs not disappear, but then you'd lose half the TMR when Vader dies. Can't really make the unique have a zeta and give his leader the zeta as that'd be two zeta abilities and then people would have to put a second zeta on Vader or they'd give those who already had him zeta'd a free second zeta ability and everyone else would b**** and moan about it.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member

This is ridiculous squishy leaders would disappear overnight and everything would be zader vs gk
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Olddumper wrote: »

This is ridiculous squishy leaders would disappear overnight and everything would be zader vs gk

or Boba or Nihilus or Zavage ooooh or Old Ben. Kill him to get rid of the pesky dodge, but give them buffs lol.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

It's an exception now, but there can be more in the future.

Jyn was an exception when she was released because her ability allowed you to specifically target one of your characters instead of always being randomized. But now there are quite a few ships that do this, and most of Phoenix Squad has at least one ability that you can target.

Exceptions are made to eventually become mainstream!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • C0LIN_OF_JEDAH
    141 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    This is just stu-pid if im being honest.

Edit: apparrently it needs the hyphon because that is considered fould language? Lol