Phoenix packs worth it?

Roken_Fett
1293 posts Member
I'll have 5/6 Phoenix members at 5 stars by the time Thrawn event launches. Been considering buying the $100 pack and then using some crystals on the other pack to try and push for the 7 star treatment.

But are the packs worth it, value-wise? Or should I just buy chromium packs and hope for Phoenix drops, and use excess shards in the Shard shop and build up stars that way?
CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.

Replies

• I bought a total of 20 and they helped. I did a lot in the shipment store, as well. I also opened Chromiums, and for little payback, but I did get tons of shards to use in the Shard Shop.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    I apologise if I'm not actually answering the question but if the end game is a 7 star thawn, is he worth $100? It's all relative and I'm FTP at the end of the day but I'd rather spend that money on DN and/or baze.

Back to the question. As a rule of thumb from my experience you almost always get the lowest amount of shards quoted in a pack, although others may have more experience than myself.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    I bought a total of 20 and they helped. I did a lot in the shipment store, as well. I also opened Chromiums, and for little payback, but I did get tons of shards to use in the Shard Shop.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have most toons at 7 star so most duplicates would transform into Shard currency.

Just wonder if I should blow my 20k crystals on those 699 packs or just buy chromium.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Rapid wrote: »
    I apologise if I'm not actually answering the question but if the end game is a 7 star thawn, is he worth $100? It's all relative and I'm FTP at the end of the day but I'd rather spend that money on DN and/or baze.

Back to the question. As a rule of thumb from my experience you almost always get the lowest amount of shards quoted in a pack, although others may have more experience than myself.

Nihilius was a thought, but I can't stand the Chaze epidemic, even if it's an awesome combo. Was hoping Thrawn would be the answer.
  • definitely on the faction packs. if you spend that on chromium you wont get there. the faction packs actually give a good amount of shards and cheaper then at cost of buying from shipments.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    definitely on the faction packs. if you spend that on chromium you wont get there. the faction packs actually give a good amount of shards and cheaper then at cost of buying from shipments.

Even if excess shards turn into Shard currency? Which is also a guarantee Phoenix shards. Expensive, yeah, but guarantee.
  • A pack for $100? Hell no. Not even close.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    A pack for $100? Hell no. Not even close.

Yeah, $100 is a lot. Especially for a mobile game. But is it WORTH it when you factor in all you get, is what I'm asking.

Of course $100 is $100.
  • But is it WORTH it when you factor in all you get, is what I'm asking.

Not to me; it's $100. I wouldn't pay that for a 7 star toon, gear to get toe gear VIII and a but load of ability mats. I'll put some money into the game...but no way will I drop $100 on one pack. And let's be honest; most people want to level them up just to get Thrawn in the first go. Why? He's not that impressive, to be honest, and he'll come around again.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    But is it WORTH it when you factor in all you get, is what I'm asking.

Not to me; it's $100. I wouldn't pay that for a 7 star toon, gear to get toe gear VIII and a but load of ability mats. I'll put some money into the game...but no way will I drop $100 on one pack. And let's be honest; most people want to level them up just to get Thrawn in the first go. Why? He's not that impressive, to be honest, and he'll come around again.

Yeah, that was sorta what I was asking, too. Is it worth it to get Thrawn at 7 star.

But you don't think he's worth the effort/money. I'm on the fence.
  • Yesac
    362 posts Member
    If I'm within 55 shards of 7* before the end of the event, then maybe, but I doubt g8-9 is going to beat t7.

The $100 pack is pretty good, all things aside. It breaks down to 48 crystals per shard, which is 32 crystals cheaper than in Shipments, and a lot more convenient than waiting for them to show up.
  • dirty_quesadilla
    240 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    @Roken_Fett I'd love to tell you, "NOOOOOOOOO! HECK NOOOO! AND TWICE ON TUESDAY!" But that would violate the forum's ToS, I can't tell you that. What I can say is that, hypothetically speaking of course, if had $100 to spend on a pack, I'd rather buy a vault of crystals. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
  • Even if I did think he was a great toon, it's not like he's a one-time thing, or a game-breaker. Yoda, EP, R2 are all solid toons, but if you didn't get them the first time, you can get them later...and it won't matter if you don't. I was VERY late in getting EP because I didn't farm or work on Rebels. Almost everyone on my shard and in my guild had him but me; didn't matter even a little. Ditto R2, who I also don't have (again, late on farming Empire toons...because I was farming Rebels for EP event. Sometimes you just can't quite win).

There are Phoenix toons I want for other purposes; Ezra and Kanan will make nice additions to a GK team, so I'm after them. But I'm not in a hurry to 7 star and gear 5 toons that just came available for a character who doesn't look to be all that great. Thrawn has some neat abilities, sure, but nothing game-changing. With Yoda, you got foresight and his battle meditation; that was a new thing and very potent. With EP, it was shock; again, new and incredibly potent if you didn't have tenacity to protect yourself. But Thrawn's kit isn't just new combinations of pretty much existing abilities. The cleanse he has is probably the biggest thing, but that's if your an Empire centric team worried about fighting debuff heavy squads (like Sith). Just not seeing that he's worth spending a hundred bucks and a cart load of gear on...gear I need for other toons.
  • The $100 pack is not worth it considering 5/6 of the toons are ftp farms. It would only be worth it if you are that close to getting 7* for the event and you really want thrawn 7*. Id probably go with the individual Phoenix packs but those are more like pulling a slot machine, likely be disappointed l.

But what does a 7* thrawn really get you? Possibly better damage in raids is all. A 5-6* should still be usable for arena.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Yeah, I guess there's no real reason to have him 7 star right away, but I battle for high 30s on my launch Shard. Wasn't sure if a maxed Thrawn would help me get into the top 20 or not. He seems like he would disrupt this Chaze nonsense.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    @Roken_Fett I'd love to tell you, "NOOOOOOOOO! HECK NOOOO! AND TWICE ON TUESDAY!" But that would violate the forum's ToS, I can't tell you that. What I can say is that, hypothetically speaking of course, if had $100 to spend on a pack, I'd rather buy a vault of crystals. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Yeah, that's why I have 20k crystals. I bought it on May 4 when you got that 25% bonus.

So you're saying just sink crystals into the Faction pack? Or just go with 5 star and wait until he comes around again?
  • Syrath
    129 posts Member
    Roken_Fett wrote: »

Yeah, that was sorta what I was asking, too. Is it worth it to get Thrawn at 7 star.

I've been considering buying the pack as well to boost my Phoenix Squad but I have been waiting to see how well RNG goes for me, it hasnt been good I'll say that.

Here is roughly how I figure the value using the Shipments as the baseline cost:

Shipments for PS- 640 crystals for 8 shards = 80 crystals per shard
    PS Random shard packs taking the most likely outcome of 10 shards- 699/10 - 70 crystals per shard at the worst
    100 Pack is 15710 crystals - 15710/330 = 48 crystals per shard.

Like anything in this game money speeds the farms up and the cost is all relative to all of us. I personally would rather buy a vault because I dont want to gear up or use PS. But I am tempted to anyway and buy the pack to get Thrawn. But like someone said to level up all of PS to 85 its 35 million credits and the gear after G7 is tough for Ezra and Sabine it is hard for me to justify wasting gear and credits on them I am more include to spend 100 then waste in game resources.

• I never buy packs and how you spend your money is always up to you.

Either way I wouldn't spend it until thrawn's skill and kit requirements are published first so you can at least then make an informed decision.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm on the same boat, all doubt about that pack. Gears are more important than stars, so having a phoenix toon at 7*, but at g7 is enough for Thrawn 7*? Otherwise, better invest on gears with that money and have them 5* but g9 for example.

Wish for some idea on the current phoenix event, if u beat the last tier and all your squad survive, that means u will be able to reach Thrawn 4* maybe 5*?

As said Thrawn doesn't seem to be a big meta changer, so get to think if u really need him at 7*.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Syrath wrote: »
    Roken_Fett wrote: »

I've been considering buying the pack as well to boost my Phoenix Squad but I have been waiting to see how well RNG goes for me, it hasnt been good I'll say that.

Here is roughly how I figure the value using the Shipments as the baseline cost:

Shipments for PS- 640 crystals for 8 shards = 80 crystals per shard
    PS Random shard packs taking the most likely outcome of 10 shards- 699/10 - 70 crystals per shard at the worst
    100 Pack is 15710 crystals - 15710/330 = 48 crystals per shard.

Like anything in this game money speeds the farms up and the cost is all relative to all of us. I personally would rather buy a vault because I dont want to gear up or use PS. But I am tempted to anyway and buy the pack to get Thrawn. But like someone said to level up all of PS to 85 its 35 million credits and the gear after G7 is tough for Ezra and Sabine it is hard for me to justify wasting gear and credits on them I am more include to spend 100 then waste in game resources.

Good breakdown. I'll take this into consideration.