Thrawn will dominate the META or not?

Prev1
Whether as a leader or not, what do you think guys? Very complex to work well on the defense?

Replies

• Looks like he is horrendous on D. Hopefully will be fixed.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Highly unlikely
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    He won't dominate the meta. He will be very strong vs a few arena squad variants, but not likely to be groundbreaking.
  • Just wait...

That's all I can say about that. >:)
  • It's impossible to say for sure. We've all seen it many times, this or that toon will be a "game changer" or "OP" or the next "Meta"... and we've been let down or disappointed many times. Time, and actual play, will tell...
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    The best use of his fracture is to neutralize an autotaunt while you pick off the weaker toons he's protecting. AI will be forced to target a taunt, then it will fracture him, and PROCEED AS PLANNED! I mean it might not be as bad as people think on defense, and it will wreck people on offense.
  • It's impossible to say for sure. We've all seen it many times, this or that toon will be a "game changer" or "OP" or the next "Meta"... and we've been let down or disappointed many times. Time, and actual play, will tell...

Ok but make your bet guy! :P
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Funny story:

Some toons suck on defense and never use the right ability when they should, or avoid an ability until a situation where your team is going to lose anyway.

Thrawn is a special kind of toon that may actually make you whole team suck on defense.

Judge for yourself, go check out EA Play footage, the whole team uses that "new shiny button" even when they are not debuffed..... Basically he makes you whole team waste a turn every 3 turns....

I need to watch with more intent but it was pointed out to me and I did see it in one battle, but it's auto on 4x so hard to see what each toon does. I ask others to help examine this.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Funny story:

Some toons suck on defense and never use the right ability when they should, or avoid an ability until a situation where your team is going to lose anyway.

Thrawn is a special kind of toon that may actually make you whole team suck on defense.

Judge for yourself, go check out EA Play footage, the whole team uses that "new shiny button" even when they are not debuffed..... Basically he makes you whole team waste a turn every 3 turns....

I need to watch with more intent but it was pointed out to me and I did see it in one battle, but it's auto on 4x so hard to see what each toon does. I ask others to help examine this.

Good point. If it does work this way we can disregard him as a leader
  • Looking at thrawn abilities Fracture is the best one, but saying
    • In rebels thrawn is shown as an evil entity Season 4 trailer starts with Hera syring EVIL SO TERRIBLE it tried to black out the stars
    • In Though Imperial Eyes Thrawns judgement on arts made him conclude Kallus was rebel spy fulcrum
    • In Zero Hour Thrawns abilites almost destroyed the rebels fleet on Atollon.
    • In Zero Hour Thrawn played Kallus into revealing rebels location
    This shows thrawn is the rebels Bogeyman sort of a thing and instead of pleasing empire a rebel devestator would increase his value.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    The best use of his fracture is to neutralize an autotaunt while you pick off the weaker toons he's protecting. AI will be forced to target a taunt, then it will fracture him, and PROCEED AS PLANNED! I mean it might not be as bad as people think on defense, and it will wreck people on offense.

Pretty much this. Thrawn looks like a BAMF. I foresee great things in his future. People will be in denial though and say "but I can still win on offense". It will be true but have fun climbing 20 spots each day though. He will probably slot into the triple cleanse and keep those squads viable.
  • Olddumper wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

Pretty much this. Thrawn looks like a BAMF. I foresee great things in his future. People will be in denial though and say "but I can still win on offense". It will be true but have fun climbing 20 spots each day though. He will probably slot into the triple cleanse and keep those squads viable.

So it becomes a 4 on 4 fight with both bazes being fractured. Sounds pretty exciting.

What I predict is that a Thrawn team emerges to neutralize the triple cleanse, one of the existing teams counters thrawn so they start moving up in position, triple cleans comes back to take care of Thrawn counter, rinse and repeat.

Instead of a flat meta, it becomes cyclic. And now instead of a single team to maintain consistent rank, you now need >3.
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I don't think he'll be that great on defense. Against Chaze teams he'll basically just remove Baze from the battle but then Thrawn won't be doing anything himself either (besides his Zeta giving Empire allies 15% TM when using specials) since Chaze teams usually don't have many AOEs so Thrawn won't be able to counter. We'll also have to see if characters will waste turns dispelling 1 or 2 minor debuffs.

He'll be good on offense, but there are other teams that are as well (Resistance, Zader, etc.).

I think he'll be viable for whales but won't be much better if at all than Chaze teams so most players won't bother to make the switch.
    Post edited by IdraRage on
  • Well I'm still running him because I'm going to gear him up with 8 carbantis

Highly considering his leader zeta but will wait and see his performance before further evaluating
  • Dominate is excessive, but given his ability to shut down people's pre-taunts given his high speed, and often Baze is that pre-taunt and people rely on him to also knock down opponent taunts, I think his impact will be felt more than ATF since it directly addresses a major component of the current elite meta.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    So Thrawn fractures Baze, who will be taunting at the start of the match.

Oops, there's GK now taunting away, regaining taunt once cleansed, and Thrawn will be slow as heck during the fracture period not doing anything. He's just gimping one character and becoming a snail.

I really don't like how Thrawn looks on paper. My gut tells me a lot of people will be sorry for throwing all that gear and credits at Phoenix for this. I hope I'm wrong.
  • id like to point out he is terrible on D with EMPIRE. because he gives empire that personal dispel ability and thats all they will use. but he only gives it to empire. if you have him with non empire for defense he wont be that bad. and if r2 smokescreen targets him? gg. stuns for everyone lol
  • Depends a lot on how the AI behaves on defense. Both as leader and not.
  • Vice_torn wrote: »
    Depends a lot on how the AI behaves on defense. Both as leader and not.

Yes, hope CG not make him OP on defense.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    He only works if he goes first. Tarkin gets him +30 speed... but a (Z)Maul team goes faster, especially with Sith Assassin.

You might see Rex Triple Cleanse > (Z)Maul > Tarkin/Thrawn > Rex Triple Cleanse.

You could also of course slot him into a Rex team instead of under a Tarkin lead, not sure if you pull out DN or GK for him though.
  • XiliX
    59 posts Member
    How much do you have to spend in order to get Phoenix Squadron viable for this?
    The Gene Pool NEEDS Chlorine
    Life is the leading cause of Death
    I have walked through the Valley of Evil and emerged the Shadow of Death
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    XiliX wrote: »
    How much do you have to spend in order to get Phoenix Squadron viable for this?

Between 0 and 1500 USD depending on:
    -How many Phoenix squadron shards you have now
    -Whether you want to unlock Thrawn at 5* or max him at 7*
    -How hard the event is and whether it requires gear 7, 8 or 9+ toons
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    LeoRavus wrote: »

Oops, there's GK now taunting away, regaining taunt once cleansed, and Thrawn will be slow as heck during the fracture period not doing anything. He's just gimping one character and becoming a snail.

I really don't like how Thrawn looks on paper. My gut tells me a lot of people will be sorry for throwing all that gear and credits at Phoenix for this. I hope I'm wrong.

Yep, this is what I'm thinking. Baze is never alone and most of the time is followed by GK. Baze will be neutralized, so is Thrawn. It'll be a 4 to 4 battle. He'll be good but not META changer. And maybe he'll be integrated in some GK + Chaze teams.
    I think the best use of fracture against the traditional teams is to use it on either Chirrut or GK, not Baze. It'll remove a cleanser from the equation.
    In an Empire team, his best usage imo will be with a Krennic lead, which AB when an enemy is debuffed.

• Revi
    573 posts Member
    Thrawn kit looks average... and as for lead well... its no better then Zvader or EP lead against Jedi and Rebel.

Looks like an average toon and rightly so.. "legendary character" hmm.... no thanks. EP and R2 are legendary Thrawn isn't close.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Dominate probably not. I do foresee him being in quite a few squads though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Any suggestions what would be the perfect counter of thrawn?
    Just to slap faces of most of the thrawn fanboys
  • LeoRavus wrote: »

You can't cleanse fracture... Learn to read. Also, his speed is pretty high up there, 133 to start. I don't think he will ever be a snail. As lead with Vader and Gar, Wedge and Biggs, he will lock some one down just long enough for Biggs to empty their health and move onto another.
  • Thrawn is going to be a bust I think . I'm a huge Sith Guy,I hate the Empire lol a bunch of weak old **** lol but Thrawn was written so good it's hard not to like him . If he were a Sith omg the rebellion would've never made it out of Scarrif lol but honestly no character has been OP since DN imo Fulcrum is a cool toon but not a game changer. R2 is pretty good but honestly the best legendary character is EP hands Down . R2 put a slow on the Zaul meta withRex of course but I'm number 1 in my shard with a zDN L . And I'm on a December 2015 shard with whales and I'm F2p
  • Watching the EA play vids Thrawn looked ok against subpar arena teams . TFP Death Trooper snow trooper EP what Empire team really scares you or is OP ???? Veers rework with a new tag and all storm troopers get shared unique bonus when paired but not one veers team in top 100 in arena I bet . Tarkin Rework no big deal right . Another reworked Empire character that's not in top 100 in arena . Come on a zQGJ GK Ezra R2 JKA kill any of those teams Thrawn included very easily . I'm just disappointed
  • Yes, unless they make his Ai terrible and absolutely if AI gets more intelligent.
    1...2...3! You're dead!