Recent change to Galactic War - open conversation

Replies

• I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has been rediculously over matched in GW the last 2 days. The unintended side effect is that I'm now frustrated enough to not spend the necessary money to get five 5* Jedi for the yoda challenge. Well played guys, well played.
  • I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has been rediculously over matched in GW the last 2 days. The unintended side effect is that I'm now frustrated enough to not spend the necessary money to get five 5* Jedi for the yoda challenge. Well played guys, well played.

Hey, I think the challenge has changed. Ive not started it yet but it appears there are 7 tiers so you only need 5 x1 star jedis for the first event
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Correct, but you need five 5* to win stage 5 and unlock Yoda. I currently have 2 of the necessary five and the Jedi card pack and a little luck could get there. Long story short, I'll happily pay for an entertaining challenge. I won't pay to be frustrated.
  • Yah sadly today got worse for me. As a newly anointed 66 (I was 65 when the battle came up) my 8th battle is 5 7 stared epic geared foes. I have no chance. It's one thing to be hard. It's another to be impossible.
  • First time I couldn't beat gw today. Pretty impossible as well. Dissappointed

• The goals of the Galactic War feature were to:
    1. Provide a real challenge to players. In other words: it’s meant to be hard! 
    2. Provide a place in the game where your entire collection can be brought to bear. Potentially every character can help you succeed (more on this below).
    3. Provide a “war of attrition” where health is persisted as you progressed in battles, not as you danced in and out of a given battle as was previously happening.
    4. And this will have more impact as the meta continues to expand,) provide a place where there’s an ever-evolving set of challenges in terms of which characters / parties / builds can be most effective.
    Well done, the changes worked a long way to this desired goal indeed. Good job!
    1. Random number seed – A random number seed is a common programming practice where one number is generated randomly, and then used for a bunch of subsequent calculations. We know there have been active discussions around the random number seed being saved at the start of a battle for a given squad that you bring in. The result of this approach is if you repeat the exact same actions you will get the exact same results. Some folks have interpreted that as meaning there is no randomness in the battle. It’s an important distinction to make between the randomness set at the start of a battle vs. a bunch of randomness re-rolled within the battle. That being said, we are still discussing the ideal way for this to work. Currently if you change positions of the members in your party, that will invoke a re-roll of the seed. So, some players are focusing in on that as their “strategy” in order to keep re-rolling the seed in order to get a desired result. That isn’t how the feature is meant to work. Stay tuned, and don’t be surprised if we make a change here.
    This is an interesting peice of information I hadn't figured out myself yet. I can also see, how this is not how it is intended.
    As long as the game is (or at least lots of matches are) so heavily dependent on whether certain abilities procc or not (like an early stun), people will look for ways to even that out, and resetting the random seed is exactly that, nothing else. I had battles with a few unlucky proccs at the beginning where I lost 3-4 chars in the first few turns and after I reset the random seed with above method (not knowlingly, but by in the frustration of trying different characters and then putting the original A-team back in) I won the very same battle with the very same characters with hardly any damage sustained at all.
    Bottom line: the outcome in a feature like GW that is intended to be hard and heavy on strategy on a larger scale really should *not* be so dependent on luck.
    Losing important battles in GW against opponents you should easily be able to beat, just because of one, two unlucky proccs is simple extremely frustrating. Just not what a good game should be.

One more thing that you didn't mention:
    Since the update I seem to frequently (about 1x-2x every other day) get matched up against players way above my own level, gear and star-rating (I had a lvl66, fully grade 7-8 geared opponent when I was lvl62 with only one or two grade 7 geared chars). And not even just at the end of GW, but right in the middle of it.
    I understand that GW is supposed to be challanging. It *should* be. But it shouldn't be downright impossible.
  • How is the toughness of oponents determined in GW post patch? couls someone point me to this if it's already been answerd?
  • What I don't understand about Galactic War -- it is supposed to require a stable of characters so that you can choose who to bring for tactical reasons, or replace casualties as needed...

but this whole game is set up to make it impossible to have the credits for levels and training droids for leveling all the characters you want.
    And getting the energy to farm gear, or any reliable way to farm shards is no picnic either.

So what is the point of GW as a game/event? It can't be to allow us to take advantage of a full complement of characters because no one has that.

A quick data mine of this game would reveal how many players have X amount of characters maxed out on levels, let alone gear or stars.
    What is the ideal X supposed to be for GW, and what is it in reality?

• pay2win wrote: »
    Slewfoot wrote: »
    better matchmaking and a little more health gain for your entire lineup in between battles and this whole thing will be fine.

I agree with this.

Definitely agree with this. Better matchmaking is essential so that all players can learn to develop strategies for galactic war rather than opening it at level 42 but stacking it so you can't win until level 70. That's just cruel and unusual. It should be a challenge for everyone, not something where high level players say "oh yeah, I still beat this easily" and lower level but >level 42 players can't do anything with it.
  • My mains are level 60, mostly starred (5-6*), and all gear VII, waiting for level for VIII (JC VIII) and I've been breezing through GW (20 straight completions)... until this week. Ran into 2 consecutive squads (fights 9 & 10), lvl 65, 7*, and gear VIII. The power difference blows me away. If I had a couple more leveled squads of my own that were 5-6* and geared, I might have stood a chance to finish. Hoping for better luck soon. I probably need more toons and to learn to account for the speed difference a little better too.
  • I like some of the changes, but the match pairings need to be fixed, I'm lvl 60 with a A squad in lvl 60, lvl 55 b squad and 50 most of the rest.
    I faced back to Mack maxed lvl 70s teams
    I limped out of the first team, losing all my b and c teams. Then had no chance vs the 2nd team.

I like that it's hard, but that was just impossible
  • mel
    127 posts Member
    What I don't understand about Galactic War -- it is supposed to require a stable of characters so that you can choose who to bring for tactical reasons, or replace casualties as needed...

but this whole game is set up to make it impossible to have the credits for levels and training droids for leveling all the characters you want.
    And getting the energy to farm gear, or any reliable way to farm shards is no picnic either.

So what is the point of GW as a game/event? It can't be to allow us to take advantage of a full complement of characters because no one has that.

A quick data mine of this game would reveal how many players have X amount of characters maxed out on levels, let alone gear or stars.
    They want you to spend money on crystal packs.

Been playing since December 1. Basically as a f2p player but I've spent maybe 20 bucks on crystals because like you said when you start leveling up there's no way to get your toons up to your actual level. But then you get to the mid-level 60s and the credits required to get a single toon to 65+, let alone five to ten toons, is bananas.

I don't begrudge them for wanting to make their cash, but let's just agree that the money wall is pretty significant now. It wasn't so apparent at launch when max was 60. But the 70 cap is a whole different story, and in a while the cap will be 80.
  • Good news everybody! I completed GW for the 42nd consecutive day.

I am awesome.
    If you are going to shoot, shoot, don't talk - Tuco Ramirez
  • [/quote]
    mel wrote: »
    What I don't understand about Galactic War -- it is supposed to require a stable of characters so that you can choose who to bring for tactical reasons, or replace casualties as needed...

They want you to spend money on crystal packs.

Been playing since December 1. Basically as a f2p player but I've spent maybe 20 bucks on crystals because like you said when you start leveling up there's no way to get your toons up to your actual level. But then you get to the mid-level 60s and the credits required to get a single toon to 65+, let alone five to ten toons, is bananas.

I don't begrudge them for wanting to make their cash, but let's just agree that the money wall is pretty significant now. It wasn't so apparent at launch when max was 60. But the 70 cap is a whole different story, and in a while the cap will be 80.

I get they want you to spend money on the game and Tbh I have spent about £90 so far however it is now having the opposite effect. If anything spending money should make GW easier but this is not the case. I've put Screenshots in previous posts where you can see my mid lv45 squad facing a lv58 squad around node 8 or 9. No amount of money can win a battle where your opponent hits twice as hard and has twice as much health as you! Skill and squad strength/selection becomes irrelevant in these cases. But think I'll have to stop spending money on it for now
  • Jaybayblay
    233 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for ruining our gameplay by making GW impossible and forcing the newer players an insane nerf on getting shards while allowing the older players this entire time of easy shards and according to you guys, 'abusing the refresh GW shard system' which got nerfed, wasn't that big of a deal but you **** setting up the pull of teams are **** by far, like everyone has already said you guys are just increasing the gap between new and people who started with the game LOL most blatant and selfish way of money scheme, courtesy of EA cult following of MARTIN SHKRELI
  • I guess if GW was meant to be a different style game content than the other parts then I can live with it. As I started to catch onto the last few days instead of each individual move being a new roll. The whole battle is predetermined based on the decisions that you make. So does this mean that there is always a way to win the match with enough patience and re-rolls? Some of the matches don't seem possible to win or are something like 1 in 1000 ratio to get the perfect roll and figure out every move you are supposed to make. There are nearly limitless combinations to figure out.

Got the door slammed on me today on node 10. I'm level 57 with about 16,300 power for my main squad. The GW squad is level 64 with about 22,200 power. Now normally you might be able to deal with an OP squad like that by sending in a suicide team but I had already faced two others that were only slightly worse than that one. I actually have a secondary squad that is fairly strong but there simply aren't enough quality healers to support two full squads unless perhaps if you own every healer in the game. So if I have to put my B squad in then I am sending them in to die. After that it's a pretty considerable drop off to the rest of my chars. They aren't even going to make a dent.

So sigh... Better luck tomorrow hopefully.

• Well, well.
    As others mentioned before: the latest alterations of GW are a pain in the ***. It's simply frustrating where it should be motivating, as it was before the latest update.
    GW made me return to the game at least once a day but if I keep getting my buttocks kicked like this, I'll have to see about that for the future.
  • Not bragging, just posting as a counter point

Completely ftp lvl 64

Since the previous update I have completed 28 GW in a row and last night was the easiest so far. Never saw anything over lvl 56 and most teams were a mix of 4-7 stars, the last battle had all lvl 5 gear.

I love the easy rewards but can agree it should be more balanced .
    Roger roger
  • R.I.P. GW
  • I'm lvl 55. My first battle (1/12) today is vs lvl 63. Halp.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    My FIRST 2 battles today were 7* maxed teams, my highest arena is about 10th :(
    {RotE}
  • Sorry if this has been answered but how is GW matchmaking determined? I used to breeze through GW with my level 64 characters taking on level 56 characters. Now I'm level 67 and I'm fighting level 70 teams by halfway through the table.
  • Sorry but as a player that has been here for awhile and dropped a lot of money into this I feel that GW needs a huge nerf. I'm not even 5 matches in and going up against 7* across the board, double toons like GS, poggle and Poe in almost every match. I have almost 15 70's geard and starred and can't get past the last three to complete. Huge disappointment with the recent change. And today is payday lol, no thank you.
  • Dilligaf wrote: »
    Not bragging, just posting as a counter point

Completely ftp lvl 64

Since the previous update I have completed 28 GW in a row and last night was the easiest so far. Never saw anything over lvl 56 and most teams were a mix of 4-7 stars, the last battle had all lvl 5 gear.

RNG is RNG. I'm freshly 51 today (and I don't even have the bots or the sims to level my characters up past 49), yesterday or day before I faced a full 60 squad not even halfway through the map. Since GW opened for me, I've only been lucky enough to get squads in my level range all the way to the end once.

Sure, I've only just started playing this game and I don't expect to finish GW a lot. But getting an absolute showstopper after a couple of battles only serves to frustrate the player. Surely it can't be that hard to implement a reasonable difficulty curve, instead of (average levels) 41, 45, 45, 60?

• Starjumper wrote: »

I get they want you to spend money on the game and Tbh I have spent about £90 so far however it is now having the opposite effect. If anything spending money should make GW easier but this is not the case. I've put Screenshots in previous posts where you can see my mid lv45 squad facing a lv58 squad around node 8 or 9. No amount of money can win a battle where your opponent hits twice as hard and has twice as much health as you! Skill and squad strength/selection becomes irrelevant in these cases. But think I'll have to stop spending money on it for now

Take it easy. Even with full lvl 70 teams it's not every day that people win GW.

When - with time - you reach level 70 and 7*, then there will be no opponents that are stronger than you - only comparable in power. When you face lvl 58 as lvl 45 yourself. it is hard. But when you face just 10 level-70 7* teams in a row , it is not that bad.
  • nickalleye
    35 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    My team: 58 lvl (2x5*, 3x4*)
    I face this.
    27RKV.png
    WTH EA? is it intentional that sometimes GW is straight up unwinnable? My b- and c- teams have been obliterated by this without even a chance to damage someone adequately. This is antithesis of fun
  • Ivan_Drago wrote: »
    Starjumper wrote: »

Take it easy. Even with full lvl 70 teams it's not every day that people win GW.

When - with time - you reach level 70 and 7*, then there will be no opponents that are stronger than you - only comparable in power. When you face lvl 58 as lvl 45 yourself. it is hard. But when you face just 10 level-70 7* teams in a row , it is not that bad.

I understand what you're saying. I do think they could scale it to make it just as challenging for lower level players as is the case with the top lv70 players like you say. That being said I've just had a good GW campaign. As I've just turned lv49 my matchups were all comparable today. Nothing higher than lv55, matches were challenging, I lost heroes along the way but had strength in my squad to continue, some matches needed several attempts and me to change tactics and all in all I got my 3rd win! Let's hope it continues to be challenging but realistic in the days to come

I know it sounds like me and a lot of others are sore losers but I think it's just frustration over a balancing issue that seems easy for EA could easily resolve.
  • Night and day difference from yesterday and today. Node 7 and Node 12 I needed to use suicide squads but other than that, only lost 1 'A' team member (Phasma) and replaced with Sid.
  • I feel like the GW must be difficult, but how difficult... My team is composed of mostly lvl 65 to 70 with 4 to 7 stars toons, but the 4th battle I faced today was all lvl 70 2*6 3*7... the 4th man... and it was Phasma as leader, Daka, Sidious, Ren and lumi.. the multiple attacks with phasma, the stunt with daka (plus the revive), the counter attack with ren, heal immunity with sid, and heal and attack of lumi.. there's no scenario in which I am not loosing 3 of my toons - who are going to be essential in the 8 other battles. And it's almost never an ascending crescendo of difficulty, un the second or third quarter of the galactic war, I always face to toughest enemies and the very last battle is not the easiest, but of medium difficulty.
    EA should look into this! I know it's meant to be hard, but I feel like the difficulty level is not in synch with my ability to beat my opponents..
    IsThisThom
    "Consider that a divorce"
    - Douglas Quaid
  • I remember seeing that the GW was changed on this patch. People were talking about how much easier it was, how it was more balanced. Great. So I started a new battle yesterday. Second battle my A team was gone. Then my B team. 10 of my best heroes to take out 1. 1 F'n hero. At the second battle. That's not challenging. Thats downright impossible. That is what I would expect from the last battle or so. The first three battles I expect to be walks in the parks. I didn't auto battle (well I did when all my healers were focused down and killed in 1 round and my high damagers were gone as well). Just ridiculous. I didn't think that it really needed much of a rebalance. Granted, I've only completed 5 galaxy battles (lvl 69, rank top 500 daily in pvp with a 20.3k power team), but I could get to the last two tiers consistantly. In the last 2 days I've gotten only 300 gems and haven't been able to get a shipment since the patch.

I'm not happy with how this is turning out. Nerf our gold source, hurt us on our farming area. This game is starting to feel like Heroes of Dragon Age where you have too many heroes and not enough ways to lvl or tier them. Not Happy at all.
This discussion has been closed.