Power Rating changes update megathread

Replies

• flux_rono
    2112 posts Member
    Ztyle wrote: »
    If I understood that correctly power measurement will still be way of on several toons, but I hope it's just because they paid so much attention to it that it would be impossible to explain the whole new power calculations
    At least people who hasn't gotten any Zetas yet, shouldn't face multiple Zeta toons in their GW

thats assuming zetas are in there top teams after this. they could still be lower power compared to others and then still appear.... (bad at explaining) but we will see
  • Whoa lots of negativity in this here thread.....

Thanks for the update to the power calculation process
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Thanks a lot for filling my galactic war with a bunch of bu****** chaze zeta teams!! ****!
  • anonidude wrote: »
    +1
  • I still don't have the option to update. Not in play store. Didn't auto update. Anyone else?
  • I still don't have the option to update. Not in play store. Didn't auto update. Anyone else?

It is not fully live, but should fully propagate in the next few days.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/118611/power-rating-changes#latest
  • Vampire_X wrote: »
    POWER CHANGES

Hiya! You peep that update? What's up with that? Well read on, dear reader, read on!

The Power rating has long been a prominent display of a unit's general effectiveness. Though this rating is intended to be a useful way to quickly identify how strong a unit is, it has become less and less effective for this purpose over time. This is primarily due to the formula being based entirely on the raw base stats of the unit, which doesn't account for its utility, ability levels, or synergies. Furthermore, higher gear tiers that have been added since launch, as well as the existence of mods, have resulted in large gaps in Power rating even between units that are similarly effective in combat, simply due to the way that certain stats are weighted relative to others in the formula.

In the interest of making the Power formula more reliable as a reference point for a unit/ship's effectiveness, we’ve modified the formula to recognize every upgrade made to a unit. Here are some of the changes coming:

Power now includes every form of unit upgrade including:
    • Characters: Level, Gear pieces, Mod tier and upgrades, Ability upgrades, and Star rating
    • Ships: Level, Ability upgrades, Crew Power, and Star Rating (which acts as a multiplier on Crew Power, just like it does for stats)
    The value of any one of these upgrades will be the same for all units (e.g., raising a unit to level 85 will be worth the same amount of Power for all units.)
    Units earn power for every upgrade and earn more power from higher tier upgrades. e.g.:
    • Upgrading from Level 40->41 is less valuable than Level 80->81
    • A tier X piece of gear is worth much more Power than a tier V piece of gear
    • A level 5 ability upgrade is worth less than a level 8 ability upgrade
    • One special case is that a Zeta ability upgrade at level 8 is worth much more than an Omega ability upgrade of the same level.

Due to the way the new Power formula scales, the Power ratings of your units will generally be as high or higher than the Power rating you saw before (with the exception of ships with very few upgrades on the crew or the ship itself, which will be noticeably lower until the crew has a few upgrades.) As a reminder, the Power stat is not used to drive any battle functionality whatsoever--it is purely intended to be a reference point--but we still feel these updates are important to help players better evaluate the improvements they're making to their units, and how effective their units are relative to potential opponents.

Finally!!
    "There are no Jedi here anymore. Only dreamers like this fool." - Baze Malbus.

https://swgoh.gg/u/limitedu34/
  • Nesh
    49 posts Member
    People will never be happy. If you have an issue with the devs making irrelevent aspects of the game relevent and in the process, with any luck, cutting down on GW complaint threads then I say good job and thanks.

Now stop your ranting and wait for the rest of the update to actually come out before you start raging on the forums about not getting what you wanted please. For all you know then clone helmets( or whatever) are coming tomorrow...
    Whoa lots of negativity in this here thread.....

Lol, it sounds like an inconsequential little change, doesn't it? Maybe it will turn out to have little net effect, but since the teams on GW nodes are scaled based on the power ratings in your roster, this is 99% guaranteed to have some kind of effect on GW. My hope is that it will fix some of the issues that newer players are having with GW; it should not be an impossible game mode, and many players face that every day. My other hope is that it won't make GW impossible for me to finish! So we uneasily wait until these changes actually surface in the game.
  • My question would be if power levels don't actually affe t anything in game (like gw), why do we have them on display and why was a massive update just rolled out to update them?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    CUFCfan616 wrote: »
    My question would be if power levels don't actually affe t anything in game (like gw), why do we have them on display and why was a massive update just rolled out to update them?

They dont effect how toons act in battle, but they absolutely do affect GW matching. To a less important point, ship power may now be more relevant.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    To everyone questioning why, maybe take a minute and think about why they would implement a big "fix" like this...

the only real effect is an across the board better matching system....

why would they care so much about matching..... (maybe GW, but maybe more)
    could it be possible that this could have been the reason for the delay in the new content, maybe the testers found that matching was not correct and they decided to hold out on the new content to make sure this made it through.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    My question would be if power levels don't actually affe t anything in game (like gw), why do we have them on display and why was a massive update just rolled out to update them?

They dont effect how toons act in battle, but they absolutely do affect GW matching. To a less important point, ship power may now be more relevant.

But that's not what the developers say isn't it?

Also, with how the mod power is worked out, does a 5* mod with speed primary have the same power rating as a 5* mod with anything else as its primary? Because let's be honest, a 1* mod with speed primary can be better than a 5* mod with critical avoidance primary
  • GW is definitely harder with this change. Didn't Kozi say it wouldn't drive any other battle functionality? Nodes 3,6,9, & 11 were definitely harder.
    Integrity is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.
  • This appears to have made GW harder. I call **** on this. The grind is already real enough to be throwing up more progress roadblocks. I'll keep playing but not spending any more money on a game that will just be a source of frustration.
  • CUFCfan616 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Also, with how the mod power is worked out, does a 5* mod with speed primary have the same power rating as a 5* mod with anything else as its primary? Because let's be honest, a 1* mod with speed primary can be better than a 5* mod with critical avoidance primary

Mods are self explanatory, if they have an O primary/secondary or health/prot it will effect the toons power level. Don't need the * level to see it's effects.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Thats exactly what she said : "As a reminder, the Power stat is not used to drive any battle functionality whatsoever--" battle functionality is how a toon acts in battle. GW is matched on power rating of (many theories) each players GW power rating, but that power is derived from your toons power.

it depends on the toon some people like to have a non speed primary on their tanks. and something is better then nothing.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    GW is definitely harder with this change. Didn't Kozi say it wouldn't drive any other battle functionality? Nodes 3,6,9, & 11 were definitely harder.

it is possible that you were seeing easier teams before due to the power calculation and now you are facing teams more on par with you. I am just putting that out there, i dont know. I am in node 4 of my double run so i will be able to judge a little later.
  • Wow, seriously are you complaining about this update? Nothing has changed in the game in addition to numbers. C'mon guys stop crying for anything
  • after this update each time I cast palp power of the dark side the game crashes - also ship battles had lots of flashing pink boxes
  • Sandybard
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Dang, my Shoretrooper went from #1 most powerful in my squad to #35. I know the number doesn't mean anything but... dang.
  • xSPOOFx
    13 posts Member
    I guess this update was what everyone was asking for and dreaming about for months.

What does the update do? Nothing, power is irrelevant to toon performance. So time was wasted fixing something that doesn't matter in game.

Most people's top 5 toons in power are tanks. Only thing that will get you is a quick loss and drop in arena.

• Riffinator
    2585 posts Member
    anonidude wrote: »

What does the update do? Nothing, power is irrelevant to toon performance. So time was wasted fixing something that doesn't matter in game.

Most people's top 5 toons in power are tanks. Only thing that will get you is a quick loss and drop in arena.
    four of my top 5 are supports i only have ONE tank in top 5
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • People do complain a lot here. Oh well
  • HokieFiend
    444 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I honestly can't believe this. GW is worse than ever now. I was already spending, at times, up to an hour and a half to two hours getting 20+ toons TM swole and completing GW. That's what it takes for me to complete GW every day. Now it's nothing but the best team makeups from node 6 on. Rex/Chaze/Nihilus, Empire teams with Kylo, Wiggs/Chaze. You name it. I just don't have the desire to spend any more time on GW. Probably wouldn't matter.

• Clarification: @CG_RyDiggs here:

Regarding Galactic War match making:
    • We're not yet currently using the new Power values for Galactic War matchmaking.
    • We've only changed the number displayed to players. We're still using the old system with the old values.
    • We'll let you know if/when we switch to using the new numbers for matchmaking.

"Insert cool kozispoon meme here"
    Development Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
  • Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    This is a DEVELOPER update. Someone made a thread earlier calling bull on this and CG_Kozispoon shut it down, confirming that the GAME update is different.
  • CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    Clarification: @CG_RyDiggs here:

Regarding Galactic War match making:
    • We're not yet currently using the new Power values for Galactic War matchmaking.
    • We've only changed the number displayed to players. We're still using the old system with the old values.
    • We'll let you know if/when we switch to using the new numbers for matchmaking.

"Insert cool kozispoon meme here"

Thank you for this! Great example of effective dev communication.