TAC challenge addition: The low hanging fruit

eneko
61 posts Member

Say we add a RNG chance of dropping 1 to 4 pieces of Mk 5 Stun Gun prototypes to the TAC (Windu) challenge.

Just entertain the idea for the next 30 seconds.

I am level 85 (like most of you), with many relevant toons in need of such gear pieces.

Let's just say, I need 20 of such guns to get my high priority toons (CUP, Mob enforcer) to gear tier XI.

Some complex math: 20 full pieces x 50 prototypes/full piece is 1000 prototypes I need..

Average optimistic drop rate : 6 prototypes per week,

1000 / 6 => 165 weeks. In that scenario, if I only use the TAC to feed my need for prototypes, I would need 165 weeks to bring such toons to XI. That is over two years. You will be in level 95 gear XIII, I presume.

End of thought, and 30 seconds. Back to reality. Currently the TAC challenge gives me 0 pieces of Mk 5 gun protos. I am stuck with hoping that the Rancor Raid / flash event / other event / node grinding drops me some. I am not sure, I think I can get me a full piece every full moon, give it or take. Yes, I buy them full prototypes at shipments, but it is still slow.

The upshot: Such an addition to the TAC would make me not want to skip the challenge in order to preserve SIM tix, which I deem more valuable today. The addition of the Mk 5s, would bring some relief to the gun prototype drought. And joy to most of this community. (there is always a Grinch, watch the thread)

Of course, this is just a thought, not a request, God forbid.

Thanks for your hard work, CG/EA. Appreciated.

Hope you had fun with that thought.
A Thrawn's Renegade.

Replies

• It may be added when there is a level cap increase and a new tier added. We shall see (and hope.)
  • Iyaoyas
    120 posts Member
    Oh. You mentioned "those who shall not be named". Prepare for thread removal!
  • Fleet shipments - Every week/week and half I get a full stun gun or stun cuff, depending on what I'm farming. This is without counting raids and I don't farm them from nodes.
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    Oh, fleet shipments. Never occurred to me to use that currency for gear. I value the zetas and certain ship shards, it is like I do not see the gear at that store (or ar the shard shop). Is there a cost-benefit analysis somewhere? Zetas, zetas.
  • eneko wrote: »
    Oh, fleet shipments. Never occurred to me to use that currency for gear. I value the zetas and certain ship shards, it is like I do not see the gear at that store (or ar the shard shop). Is there a cost-benefit analysis somewhere? Zetas, zetas.

What's the point of Zetas if your characters are stuck at gear 8? I am also farming 2-3 ships with Chirrut being almost 7 stars. The rest goes for cuffs and guns.
  • msb14
    301 posts Member
    The MK 5 Stun Guns are strength gear, so it wouldn't make sense to put them in the Tactics gear challenge. And they won't put them in the Strength challenge because we already have carbantis there. Can't let us get too much important gear from one challenge.
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    msb14 wrote: »
    The MK 5 Stun Guns are strength gear, so it wouldn't make sense to put them in the Tactics gear challenge. And they won't put them in the Strength challenge because we already have carbantis there. Can't let us get too much important gear from one challenge.

Well, I really never paid much attention to the classification of the gear, my bad.

I am trying to envision two things, making TAC challenge relevant (I do not do it anymore) and provide a tiny relief to the gun drought.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am OK if we were to throw a bit of STR gear in the TAC slot. Add to the gun some +1 strength, then may be we all happy with the consistence.
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    eneko wrote: »

What's the point of Zetas if your characters are stuck at gear 8? I am also farming 2-3 ships with Chirrut being almost 7 stars. The rest goes for cuffs and guns.

Good point. In your case (and many others in your predicament) it may make sense to get your gear from ship shop. Some of us got a handful of toons to gear XI when ships were not around. Just adding stuff, though, not taking it away :smile:

• I like the Idea. Ok, its STR-Gear, but i still like the Idea. I dont do the Tac Challenge mostly. Because I already have over 1k pieces of every Gear from the TAC-Challenge :/

Some new new Gear in the TAC-Challenge, something I need, so i could do it again, that would be nice :)
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    eneko wrote: »
    msb14 wrote: »

Well, I really never paid much attention to the classification of the gear, my bad.

I am trying to envision two things, making TAC challenge relevant (I do not do it anymore) and provide a tiny relief to the gun drought.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am OK if we were to throw a bit of STR gear in the TAC slot. Add to the gun some +1 strength, then may be we all happy with the consistence.

I meant "add +1 TAC to the Gun", so this can all work better. sloppy me, apologies.
  • iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    I actually use the Fleet Shipments for Omegas. I farmed ships hard when they came out, ignored Zetas for the most part and I feel my Fleet is better off for doing that. I did farm two Zetas hard a few months ago but there's so many more Omega Abilities that are needed (not to mention all the Omegas needed to Zeta a toon). From the Ships Challenges mostly, I've been able to Zeta 8 toons.

https://swgoh.gg/u/iamryc/
  • When it comes to challenge gear, just taking it out of Raid and event rewards would be the best thing CG could do.
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    iAmRyC wrote: »
    I actually use the Fleet Shipments for Omegas. I farmed ships hard when they came out, ignored Zetas for the most part and I feel my Fleet is better off for doing that. I did farm two Zetas hard a few months ago but there's so many more Omega Abilities that are needed (not to mention all the Omegas needed to Zeta a toon). From the Ships Challenges mostly, I've been able to Zeta 8 toons.

https://swgoh.gg/u/iamryc/

Beautiful roster, congrats iAmRyC.

My luck and drop rate on the zeta-ship challenge has been abysmal, specially during the first two months, I had a streak of 0/20 at the worse peak (I also had 3/4 sometimes, to be fair). I bought most of my zeta pieces from the ship (now 5 of my toons are zeta-d).
  • iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    The Zetas even out over time and it seems that they come in bunches . My best streak was getting about 7/8 a long time ago but I've had week long droughts too. It's off topic from your original post but gear really doesn't seem to be the best way to spend your Fleet currency.
  • The Droid callers are driving me nuts
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    The Zetas even out over time and it seems that they come in bunches . My best streak was getting about 7/8 a long time ago but I've had week long droughts too. It's off topic from your original post but gear really doesn't seem to be the best way to spend your Fleet currency.

Ok, thanks -- I will give it a shot - re: spending fleet currency on gear. I do not rank high on ships -- I hover around 100, perhaps you also rank high in ship arena?
  • TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    The Droid callers are driving me nuts

Yup, I have already bought 100 from guild shop and shard shop all together.
    By the way +1 on OP but this will only happen when new gear is needed for new gear lvl, as it happened when we got raised to 85, they added slots to make gear 8-9 easier
  • I can only believe that the gear situation is the way it is on purpose. Like the energy system, it is designed to lengthen the overall time(decades, centuries?) spent playing the game.

Why else was it designed that 100000000 MK3 carbantis are needed just by the 20 best toons yet only 15 or so MK4 carbantjs are needed by all 100+ toons? I like the favorite tab, it is very useful. At the same time, my same 5 toons(+1 with thrawn), have been in there since implementation as that group alone needs over 20 carbantis. Stun guns you ask? Haven't even got to those yet and they don't even have a challenge location to help.

There is no doubt that this is obvious to the devs. It is a necessary evil to lengthen the game while new content is created. Without the gear/credit crunch, there would be a waaayyyy larger portion of us saying "Is that it? What else can I do here? I solo the HAAT raid myself. Might as well find another game."

Of course this is just my opinion. I'm 6 months into this game and I already have over 1000 of two of the Tac items and more than 500 of the others. I still do the challenge, but I auto it as the sims are important to me too:
  • Burritto
    47 posts Member
    I can only believe that the gear situation is the way it is on purpose. Like the energy system, it is designed to lengthen the overall time(decades, centuries?) spent playing the game. :

Exactly. I don't expect cuffs or guns or anything like that to be added to the TAC challenge. I just wish there was something remotely useful in there. Once you've reached the end game, TAC days are basically days where you hope for a single omega.
  • iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    @eneko Yes, I've ranked at the top of Ships since it came out.
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    Congrats @iAmRyC , I am sure your ranking is not a coincidence, but the result of a good effort and better planing. I am glad we are enjoying the game!
  • eneko
    61 posts Member

I ran today the TAC in full auto (after the massive multi-sims). At least I do not feel I wasted another SIM tix.

I checked the ship store for gun gear prototypes in the last 3 refreshes (none avail, thus far). However, my coins trickled at the rate that most of players cash them (there may be about a dozen players in each shard top spots in any given day - I am not one of them). Still, I am considering it, I do not like to be stalled for that long, feelings of despair creep on me.

Here is what may happen. CG sides with us, and becomes even more generous to all players. After analysis, our CG folk will realize that doling much needed gear that is too much of a blocker is not a detriment to their bottom line, but instead, the gits is a boost of morale.

Instead of rants, CG may hear constructive and clever ideas from this community on what can we see. I feel CG is already on it: they have do so in the past, and I am confident they will do it again.

• iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    I literally focus on one toon at a time until I get them maxed with one or two secondary toons having any focus. Put me behind for the longest time but it put me in better position for the endgame with max toons. I have guildmates that wish they had taken that approach as opposed to trying to get everyone to the same place at the same time.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    I literally focus on one toon at a time until I get them maxed with one or two secondary toons having any focus. Put me behind for the longest time but it put me in better position for the endgame with max toons. I have guildmates that wish they had taken that approach as opposed to trying to get everyone to the same place at the same time.

Same. G11 or bust.
  • iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    Not just G11, but max. Those gears are PITA but they are the ones that add to your toons damage output the most, typically.
  • All challenges need a rework badly.
    Yes, I am THE Warrior.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Warrior_TI wrote: »
    All challenges need a rework badly.

All? I'm a particular fan of getting carbantis and the syringe
  • Barmuka_1
    602 posts Member
    Maybe we could add mk 3 holos to the tac challenges. That way something usefull will come from it?
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    Not just G11, but max. Those gears are PITA but they are the ones that add to your toons damage output the most, typically.

Appreciate the tip, never thought much of that last leg (the extra pieces for 11 1/2), but now I see the value.
  • eneko
    61 posts Member
    Barmuka_1 wrote: »
    Maybe we could add mk 3 holos to the tac challenges. That way something usefull will come from it?

I am for it. I think most players would approve of these common sense measures. Win-win for all.