Whale calling it quits

Replies

• Problem I see is I have paid for a lot of other games... Most which I don't play now and I don't feel as burned as I do with the ways things have gone down here.
  • Spoony100 wrote: »
    Camalus wrote: »
    ManSolo wrote: »
    Ultimately, if you are having fun, then go nuts. If you are not, then stop and uninstall. When EA management sees the number dip then and only then will they even consider changing their product strategy.

Which is funny since the OP runs his own LARGE manufacturing firm but cant grasp this concept, obviously not a business graduate.

Actually, I do have a business degree, not a PHD in engineering like some, but I do hire them if that counts for anything. I'm sure my point about how building long term-brand loyalty will ultimately net stability and sustained profitability flew right over you head.

Clash of Clans figured this out a long time ago.

They have loyal players that still spend since the game was released a few years ago.

And the grind is much more painful then here, imagine that...

because the clients don't feel scre wed over and ober and over and over and over

• There's really only one way to get EA to change their tune: stop spending money. If you are enraged by the way they are bleeding customers dry for little tangible benefit, then don't spend. I know I'm done spending after this week. If they see their profits drop significantly, they will race to fix the game, and not a moment before then.
  • Mr_Eel wrote: »
    There's really only one way to get EA to change their tune: stop spending money. If you are enraged by the way they are bleeding customers dry for little tangible benefit, then don't spend. I know I'm done spending after this week. If they see their profits drop significantly, they will race to fix the game, and not a moment before then.

and sadly that will never happen as Star Wars has such a enourmous fan base, new whales will always show up.
    Ok, maybe this is a new perspective. I'm in my mid-40's and run a large manufacturing company and have been a Star Wars fan since the day I saw the first movie. My son introduced me to this game, started playing and have enjoyed "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" over the past few months.

I've spent a lot of money on it, which is ok. I don't get a lot of time to play things like this so having the option to spend money to move ahead was appealing to me. At least for me, my bottom-line is, if I'm getting enjoyment out of something I don't mind paying for it. There lies the problem, enjoyment. This game has become such a grind, it feels like you have to play for hours just to get to a point where you can scrap together 5 - 10 minutes of fun.

With this last patch it has just gotten worse, and the game has become a tedious chore, like I need more of that in my life. It's a shame that a game with this much potential has seemingly turned into a blatant money grab at the expense of overall game-play enjoyment. Like I said, I don't mind spending money on something that's fun, but it has become harder and harder to find that fun within this game.

However, and infinitely more important, is the fact that many EA customers feel like that are being taken advantage of or to be more blunt... Feel like they are being screwed over. Personally, I don't have an ax to grind with EA, however, I hope EA, at least, listens to it's customers and weighs the balance between maximizing short-term profit and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, we see many companies these days taking the "Drug-Dealer" approach... Put out something people enjoy in an attempt to get them hooked, then once you have'em, turn the screws and squeeze every last penny out of them. It's a recipe for short-term success, but ultimately hurts the brand name long-term and all but eliminates the possibility of creating customer loyalty.

I know this is way to deep for a discussion about a mobile-app game, but maybe it's something to think about.

Game deleted...Golf Clubs re-gripped...Spring around the corner... All is good!

Same here. I am early 40 and I too got hooked early 80s on SW. What started like a fun adventure became a chore and a money grab not by means of asking me to pay lets say $100 per month but by obscuring things, and making this game a full time job I no longer enjoy. The recent events also confirmed this direction of making the game an exhausting moving target where rules, chars and benefits will swing abruptly. I am too managing a key area of a large corporation, have 3 kids and will get back to Golf, Playing Go and doing thenother things that ultimately really bring me happiness.

I left with a bad taste in my mouth, but that's something I had to learn on how much these business models are not something I enjoy. At points I became too attached and feel relief as I have reached your same decision about how tonuse my time foing forward.

The game is definitely engaging, and EA is creating a product you can't ignore. Great business people and folks. I wish the sucess and that they revisit the balance between a damaging brand experience and short term profit goals.

• xJazzx wrote: »
    Spoony100 wrote: »
    Ok, maybe this is a new perspective. I'm in my mid-40's and run a large manufacturing company and have been a Star Wars fan since the day I saw the first movie. My son introduced me to this game, started playing and have enjoyed "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" over the past few months.

I've spent a lot of money on it, which is ok. I don't get a lot of time to play things like this so having the option to spend money to move ahead was appealing to me. At least for me, my bottom-line is, if I'm getting enjoyment out of something I don't mind paying for it. There lies the problem, enjoyment. This game has become such a grind, it feels like you have to play for hours just to get to a point where you can scrap together 5 - 10 minutes of fun.

With this last patch it has just gotten worse, and the game has become a tedious chore, like I need more of that in my life. It's a shame that a game with this much potential has seemingly turned into a blatant money grab at the expense of overall game-play enjoyment. Like I said, I don't mind spending money on something that's fun, but it has become harder and harder to find that fun within this game.

However, and infinitely more important, is the fact that many EA customers feel like that are being taken advantage of or to be more blunt... Feel like they are being screwed over. Personally, I don't have an ax to grind with EA, however, I hope EA, at least, listens to it's customers and weighs the balance between maximizing short-term profit and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, we see many companies these days taking the "Drug-Dealer" approach... Put out something people enjoy in an attempt to get them hooked, then once you have'em, turn the screws and squeeze every last penny out of them. It's a recipe for short-term success, but ultimately hurts the brand name long-term and all but eliminates the possibility of creating customer loyalty.

I know this is way to deep for a discussion about a mobile-app game, but maybe it's something to think about.

Dude, don't forget to get your refund too.

A tool in the making or just a tool by nature?

Sorry to hear the dissatisfaction you seem to be experiencing, as a business owner myself, money has never been the factor of playing games like this, as OP mentioned, it was a means to an end... Getting away from the daily grind we call life.

Yes changes have happened... Sure some not as good as others but that's why I said leave patch notes for the patch. Different situation... Long story...

The key to games like this (& any game for that matter) is to Scout out & see if it's worth putting money/time into. For me anyways, I like to see if a product is fun as advertised (which SWGOH is, for me in any case), if as advertised & filling my "loose time" & to the point I enjoy, I'll easily place money into the game, not for "the betterment of advancement" but rather for the Devs making a game I enjoy playing & reciprocating that fun with a token of gratitude in the form of finance, RL currency.

Everyone has their own level of enjoyment, as well as definition, sad thing is... Not everyone can be pleased in a way that benefits both parties, sometimes compromises are needed on both sides to make a mutual beneficial enjoyment... But as mentioned not everyone can be pleased at once.

Best advice I can give any gamer/pro-gamer/whale is to know your market... Once your market is established, live, love, enjoy...

At the OP level or my level, this isn't abiut money. I couldn't care less about the refund except to note that it would erase the bad taste I am left with. It won't make a dent in any noticeable way in my life.

Same here. I am early 40 and I too got hooked early 80s on SW. What started like a fun adventure became a chore and a money grab not by means of asking me to pay lets say $100 per month but by obscuring things, and making this game a full time job I no longer enjoy. The recent events also confirmed this direction of making the game an exhausting moving target where rules, chars and benefits will swing abruptly. I am too managing a key area of a large corporation, have 3 kids and will get back to Golf, Playing Go and doing thenother things that ultimately really bring me happiness.

I left with a bad taste in my mouth, but that's something I had to learn on how much these business models are not something I enjoy. At points I became too attached and feel relief as I have reached your same decision about how tonuse my time foing forward.

The game is definitely engaging, and EA is creating a product you can't ignore. Great business people and folks. I wish the sucess and that they revisit the balance between a damaging brand experience and short term profit goals.

Well said...

• One thing of note, slightly related, is the word censorship on this forum. If you post enough, you will find that many words which are not curse words are censored. Some of these words are descriptions that could be used to describe the way their company operates, such as the form of government Benito Mussolini is famous for in pre-WW2 Italy. Seeing non-offensive free speech being censored is concerning.
  • Dvarik
    16 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I think a big problem that I'm having with the game is how EA's running it. Basically the game does very well and grosses a ton of money for them but there is still very little new content and, by and large, very little interaction with the fans and online community that support the game. If it were a smaller company or a better run company with the SW license, they would devote a lot more attention to both improving the game and adding new content since a significant portion of their revenue comes from the product.

How can one of the top grossing mobile games since product launch basically not receive any new content or modes?

Once you hit max level, the game does kind of just becomes a grind- same old, same old. Cantina battles, GW, Squad Arena, farming for items/ shards. That's it. One would think that with the amount this game pulls in that they'd show a little more attention to it and create a more balanced meta scene or add new content...
  • xJazzx wrote: »
    Spoony100 wrote: »

Dude, don't forget to get your refund too.

A tool in the making or just a tool by nature?

Sorry to hear the dissatisfaction you seem to be experiencing, as a business owner myself, money has never been the factor of playing games like this, as OP mentioned, it was a means to an end... Getting away from the daily grind we call life.

Yes changes have happened... Sure some not as good as others but that's why I said leave patch notes for the patch. Different situation... Long story...

The key to games like this (& any game for that matter) is to Scout out & see if it's worth putting money/time into. For me anyways, I like to see if a product is fun as advertised (which SWGOH is, for me in any case), if as advertised & filling my "loose time" & to the point I enjoy, I'll easily place money into the game, not for "the betterment of advancement" but rather for the Devs making a game I enjoy playing & reciprocating that fun with a token of gratitude in the form of finance, RL currency.

Everyone has their own level of enjoyment, as well as definition, sad thing is... Not everyone can be pleased in a way that benefits both parties, sometimes compromises are needed on both sides to make a mutual beneficial enjoyment... But as mentioned not everyone can be pleased at once.

Best advice I can give any gamer/pro-gamer/whale is to know your market... Once your market is established, live, love, enjoy...

At the OP level or my level, this isn't abiut money. I couldn't care less about the refund except to note that it would erase the bad taste I am left with. It won't make a dent in any noticeable way in my life.

+1

Contacting EA is a good first step. Express your frustration directly they will respond.

I'm not rich by any means. My job is... Different let's just say it costs me like $1500 a weekend just to go to work. That might tell you what a few hundred bucks means.

I don't care if it's 5$ though. Once my mind is made up I am gonna move forward as I personally see fit.
  • Camalus wrote: »
    lol, I like how people say, I made an investment in this game, which is about as useful as the investment people make to a stripper, there is no skill involved in climbing ranks, at least in Need for Speed you could buy cars yes, Parts, maybe more of a pay2win feature sure, but in the end you can know your lines know the physics, know the track and execution is still 10/10ths of the equation every single time. So whats there to do now, pay more for upcoming events, seems like the only event going on around here is the cash counting party in the office after every shift.

Questionable investments are what makes life fun, my friend. If you've never filled a water balloon until it explodes in your hands and leaves you looking like an ****, you haven't lived.
  • Mr_Eel wrote: »
    There's really only one way to get EA to change their tune: stop spending money. If you are enraged by the way they are bleeding customers dry for little tangible benefit, then don't spend. I know I'm done spending after this week. If they see their profits drop significantly, they will race to fix the game, and not a moment before then.

for every person that stops paying or playing, there is a new player ready to join and spend tons of money before they realize the game is kind of a dead end, but at that point EA will already have their money so I dont think they're gonna change anything
  • Telaan wrote: »
    Ultimately, if you are having fun, then go nuts. If you are not, then stop and uninstall. When EA management sees the number dip then and only then will they even consider changing their product strategy.

Which is funny since the OP runs his own LARGE manufacturing firm but cant grasp this concept, obviously not a business graduate.

Where do you get that from? Why the ad hominem attacks simply because he used an adjective to describe his business? The op understands the value of feedback, both negative and positive. He provided it in a level headed and articulate manner. Think he's so off? Then why do companies, websites, and other for-profit organizations often ask for feedback even after an individual returns they're product, cancels their membership, etc? The answer is because it helps them improve their product or service for future customers/clients/members.

lol, because you guys are both wrong and I have been here purchasing microtransaction from EA play for Free for 6 years to prove it. Don't even get me started you guys are sounding off at a very old gameplan they have been running for a long time, its just sad to think you cant see this coming a mile away if you are so well versed in business f2p business models or business in general.
    Telaan wrote: »

Where do you get that from? Why the ad hominem attacks simply because he used an adjective to describe his business? The op understands the value of feedback, both negative and positive. He provided it in a level headed and articulate manner. Think he's so off? Then why do companies, websites, and other for-profit organizations often ask for feedback even after an individual returns they're product, cancels their membership, etc? The answer is because it helps them improve their product or service for future customers/clients/members.

lol, because you guys are both wrong and I have been here purchasing microtransaction from EA play for Free for 6 years to prove it. Don't even get me started you guys are sounding off at a very old gameplan they have been running for a long time, its just sad to think you cant see this coming a mile away if you are so well versed in business f2p business models or business in general.

People put the quarters in the machine to watch the horsies go round, you put a lot more quarters in to see the horsies go round faster, its the same as buying a beer then watching yourself pee it out. Its called a sunk cost.
  • Sorry but he is no Whale, if you are a Whale you don't find things hard..

I think people underestimate how much does it take to be a Whale in this game
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Those analogies are garbage sorry. He's entitled to his opinion and you're entitled to yours. The difference is that in order to try and assert yours you feel the need to attempt to discredit him using ad hominem attacks.
  • Telaan wrote: »
    Those analogies are garbage sorry. He's entitled to his opinion and you're entitled to yours. The difference is that in order to try and assert yours you feel the need to attempt to discredit him using ad hominem attacks.

It's not worth the effort. :/
    Telaan wrote: »

I thought it was a rather good analogy, cant simplify it down further than that sorry. But to assert my opinion I would say that he was unaware of the product he was purchasing from a company who has a long track record of play for free success, trying to convince them they are doing it wrong is purely a reactive response rather than the proactive alternative of learning the ropes of the model/company before dropping heavy amounts of cash.
  • No, it is a bad analogy. He's not paying more quarters to make the horses go faster. That is your assumption - DarthMasterShawn already explained that whales pay for a variety of reasons, the biggest being because they enjoy the game, however they interpret that.

The better analogy would be you pay quarters because you like the Merry-Go-round, but then one day the owner decides to take away the music, and then make the Merry-Go-round go slower, then change the horses to turtles without bothering to tell you. So you know longer get enjoyment out of it, so you stop spending money.

But don't feel bad, because Alecationz had even a dumber assumption. By his definition, anybody that quits the game can't be a whale, so in his world to be a whale you would spend whatever it takes to overcome any obstacle. Stop spending.....no longer a whale! huh?
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    If its not fun, no reason to play. Whale or whatever. Best of luck moving ahead.

Yeah, EA is charging way too much for too little. I really wish costs wouldn't double too. I hated the misleading information about Poe's changes, that they neglected to include the most drastic change in game from the patch notes and that they put Anakin in the Jedi pack. Guess what, I just ended up purchasing another crystal mega pack after buying the said pack. To be able to do the 5 star(!!!) Yoda challenge before time runs out. In spite of what happened, I still enjoy playing.

Someday, though, if things continue like this, I'll be joining you in the greens. Until then, I'll play sucker, lol.

P.S. I won't actually be joining you, I can't play golf :blush:,
  • No, it is a bad analogy. He's not paying more quarters to make the horses go faster. That is your assumption - DarthMasterShawn already explained that whales pay for a variety of reasons, the biggest being because they enjoy the game, however they interpret that.

The better analogy would be you pay quarters because you like the Merry-Go-round, but then one day the owner decides to take away the music, and then make the Merry-Go-round go slower, then change the horses to turtles without bothering to tell you. So you know longer get enjoyment out of it, so you stop spending money.

But don't feel bad, because Alecationz had even a dumber assumption. By his definition, anybody that quits the game can't be a whale, so in his world to be a whale you would spend whatever it takes to overcome any obstacle. Stop spending.....no longer a whale! huh?

It doesn't matter what the owners do to the merry go round you failed to read the fine print. The only thing you get by purchasing crystals/packs is the acquisition of levels, characters, faster. Everything else is subject to change at any time by the developers. Since forever ago
    No, it is a bad analogy. He's not paying more quarters to make the horses go faster. That is your assumption - DarthMasterShawn already explained that whales pay for a variety of reasons, the biggest being because they enjoy the game, however they interpret that.

It doesn't matter what the owners do to the merry go round you failed to read the fine print. The only thing you get by purchasing crystals/packs is the acquisition of levels, characters, faster. Everything else is subject to change at any time by the developers. Since forever ago

how about using all this money they make to actually test the product?

Would reduce the amount of bugs and required nerfs...

• I know you think cause you are mad you are going to stop spending money here but you wont and they know it, so my point is they wont lower prices if their balance sheets are contradicting what customers write on their forums.

• Handyandymd
    32 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I almost there with you. Not enough time in the day for the daily grind. Lossing interest fast. At leadt I've only spent about $50.
  • This game s concept is not bad. But it s unpredictable, unstable. Basicly, you dont know what would come next and whether any of the chars you maxed now will still be useful after 1 month. You would wonder Admiral Ackbar should be named EA. It s getting a bit better, but I still hate the timer a lot, we have other things to do. Fine bonus energy should be timed to remind people that the game exists but challenges? If the game requires baby sitting, many of us will quit soon.
  • I think, this concept is only short time good. But EA doen't care about this they see only $$$$$
  • five2zero wrote: »
    I think, this concept is only short time good. But EA doen't care about this they see only $$$$$

I wish they would charge more. Let me pay and play more, let me reset galactic wars and challenges. I love the game, I just wish I could play it for than 45 minutes.
  • Moved a goodbye post to OT.

Everybody wants to talk about being a gamer until its time to do gamer ****
    [SøtFØ] Leader
  • Aluxendr wrote: »
    lol, I like how people say, I made an investment in this game, which is about as useful as the investment people make to a stripper, there is no skill involved in climbing ranks, at least in Need for Speed you could buy cars yes, Parts, maybe more of a pay2win feature sure, but in the end you can know your lines know the physics, know the track and execution is still 10/10ths of the equation every single time. So whats there to do now, pay more for upcoming events, seems like the only event going on around here is the cash counting party in the office after every shift.

Questionable investments are what makes life fun, my friend. If you've never filled a water balloon until it explodes in your hands and leaves you looking like an ****, you haven't lived.

Love it
    Roger roger