A proposed solution to the issues players have with the Profit Mining and Droid Events

Valent_Antona
1034 posts Member
edited February 2016
Buckle up folks, this is kind of a long one....

There were a number of posts recently about the amount of credits and training droids received in the events after the update. I was certainly one of the people that had some issue with it. However, instead of complaining, I wanted to try to construct an alternate solution. Hopefully, @EA_Jesse can pass this along to the dev team. I haven't put much thought into the training droid even, but the discussion below, though using profit mining as an example, could easily be tailored to the training droids as well.

The Problem
There was a drastic reduction in the reward per energy spent. From my best recollection, you could obtain approximately 110,000 credits using 50 energy on Tier II. This translates to about 2200 credits per energy. In the new event, though you can do it multiple times per day, you earn a maximum of 25,200 credits on Tier II for 24 energy, which translates to 1050 credits per energy, a 53% reduction.

Speaking in terms of the mean, it seems a large amount of players indicate they mostly receive the single reward at 8400 credits on Tier 2. This comes out to a measly 350 credits per energy. For the old battles, a mean of 50100 credits per battle at 50 energy, yields a mean of 1002 credits per energy. The percentage drop in the mean reward is about 65%.

The Solution
The solution I propose is to have a larger multiplier scale, with decreasing probabilities. I've constructed a simulation using a standard, even distribution, random number generator to simulate 100,000 battles using the following reward scale:

Base Tier 1 = 6000 credits
Base Tier 2 = 8400 credits
2X Chance = 50%
3X Chance = 20%
5X Chance = 10%

Over 100,000 battles, the simulation produced the following results:
**********Results**********
Number of simulations: 100000
2X Chance: 50%
3X Chance: 20%
5X Chance: 10%
Tier I Credit Award: 6000
Tier II Credit Award: 8400

Number of 1X multipliers: 49816
Number of 2X multipliers: 30236
Number of 3X multipliers: 10007
Number of 5X multipliers: 9941
**********Average**********
Average T1 credits obtained per run: 14412
Average T2 credits obtained per run: 20177

From this, we learn that on average, players obtain approximately 20177 credits per battle on Tier 2, equating to an average about 840 credits per energy, with a 10% chance at earning credits at 1750 credits per energy, the mean (as indicated by the results) being still being 1X which comes to 350 credits per energy.

This is still a 16% on average, reduction from the mean of the old Key Card system, but this is balanced by the fact that players can spread out their profit mining throughout the day, using bonus energy, etc. They can do more battles, for more energy, for more reward.

If the numbers above don't suit the idea, they can be tweaked a little, but I urge not to tweak a lot. This type of scale has it all - the element of chance, the risk-reward, the planning through use of energy throughout the day, and the chance of coming quite close to the old system, but on average, not doing quite as well.

Thanks for listening.

Edit: Found some mistakes in the original post, hopefully they are all cleared up now...
Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
Post edited by Valent_Antona on

Replies

• This all seems unnecessarily complicated. The current base payout is 15% of what it used to be(note, there used to be no multiplier, it was 110k guaranteed).

The old rate was actually still pretty poor such that people did not reccommend doing keycards. So the last table to unlock was essentially useless.. doesnt make sense. People actually thought it was going to be improved, not nerfed to the floor

I think they could literally add a 0 to the payout and it would be fine. People still need to buy crystals for energy to do this, or sacrifice gear farming. If they want to be stingy, multiply by 5 instead. But the current rate is just pathetic
  • Whenever you have an element of chance, it's always complicated. In a scheme like above there's a 50% chance you get at least some multiple. With the bonus energy each day you can do this at least 5 times a day without spending anything on energy refresh.

Problem with simply making the multiple 5X is that the probabilities of getting more credits never changes, but when it does happen you get a bonus 16,800. I truly believe a solution where there's more chance to get more credits, is key. The way it is now, it's a high probability that if you do 5 battles per day for 120 energy, you only total 47000 credits. With above method, it's highly likely to get closer to 100,000 which is inline with how it was before, but a chance to do even better
  • My proposed fix...

Add a 0 on the end to make it 60k 84k
    Much simpler that what you wrote.
    Your welcome.
  • Dario wrote: »
    My proposed fix...

Your welcome.

Sure they can also just give a bonus 100K each day which is even easier and not any different than this.
    My proposed fix...

Your welcome.

Sure they can also just give a bonus 100K each day which is even easier and not any different than this.
    A bonus of 100k for nothing nah mate 25 energy for 84k if decent for level 70 players just remove the chance to multiply Iam certain everyone would accept and be happy with this it's only 50k extra from the old system so it's no huge jump in credits but at least it's an improvement.
    Dario wrote: »
    My proposed fix...

Your welcome.

A bonus of 100k for nothing nah mate 25 energy for 84k if decent for level 70 players just remove the chance to multiply Iam certain everyone would accept and be happy with this it's only 50k extra from the old system so it's no huge jump in credits but at least it's an improvement.
    Well, you're right to some degree, it would be a lot better, but I'm not sure that's the point. We now get 120 bonus energy every day, and you can run this on tier 2 5 times per day for absolutely nothing. With that solution, they'd be giving away up to 420,000 credits for free, daily. I'm not sure there's really anything challenging or rewarding about that.
    My proposed fix...

Your welcome.

Well, you're right to some degree, it would be a lot better, but I'm not sure that's the point. We now get 120 bonus energy every day, and you can run this on tier 2 5 times per day for absolutely nothing. With that solution, they'd be giving away up to 420,000 credits for free, daily. I'm not sure there's really anything challenging or rewarding about that.
    Yeah your right I didn't factor in the bonus energy, there is so much potential in these challenges so much they can do in terms of challenge difficulty, awards, multipliers etc but I feel this current new system will remain as they want us to spend crystals
    My proposed fix...

Your welcome.

Yeah your right I didn't factor in the bonus energy, there is so much potential in these challenges so much they can do in terms of challenge difficulty, awards, multipliers etc but I feel this current new system will remain as they want us to spend crystals

Yeah I think you're right that it won't change anytime soon, but hopefully this will at leas spark some ideas o make it better!
  • Having keycard battles overlap challenges is silly in the first place. Scrap the current credit and droid battles entirely, add one more credit/droid challenge day per week, and add something actually interesting to keycards like a small payout of a random currency (GW, Arena, Shard Shop etc) or just a random character shard or something. Something not already covered by existing battles.
  • medetec wrote: »
    Having keycard battles overlap challenges is silly in the first place. Scrap the current credit and droid battles entirely, add one more credit/droid challenge day per week, and add something actually interesting to keycards like a small payout of a random currency (GW, Arena, Shard Shop etc) or just a random character shard or something. Something not already covered by existing battles.

Yeah I get that, but the way I always see it was the daily challenges were good guaranteed winnings and the events are daily but have some risk-reward to it.

Actually really like the idea of the bonus currency or shards. But I'll be happy with a fix to the profit mining. At least something worth taking the risk on spent energy.
  • I expected a reduction. The dramatic amount killed it for me. I went from buying crystals daily so that I could get around 700k-1m per day from Keycards to squat. I haven't paid since the update...and I cannot possibly be the only player. They killed it for me. They have to do something to fix it if they want me spending again, cuz that ain't it. That does not incentivize me to spend and waste my time to yank up characters and experiment with my lineup. It barely encourages me to login at all once my dailies are done, and that's largely finished the hour after midnight.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • I don't understand the big fuss. Yes, the ROI is horrendous. 6-7 hard missions reward more credits PLUS gear and droids and shards. So just don't do the event. Is there an achievement or something that encourages you to do them that I don't know about? I sure CG has tons of data about how many times they are being completed, and if nobody is doing them, they will change them.
  • IMO the gold to energy ratio should had never been tampered with.

Cut it all the same
    [SøtFØ] Leader
  • Mittens wrote: »
    I don't understand the big fuss. Yes, the ROI is horrendous. 6-7 hard missions reward more credits PLUS gear and droids and shards. So just don't do the event. Is there an achievement or something that encourages you to do them that I don't know about? I sure CG has tons of data about how many times they are being completed, and if nobody is doing them, they will change them.

I think the fuss was that at the same time keycard battles were replaced, Galaxy Wars got harder (i.e fixed IMO) so the credits are a lot tougher to come by. Once you hit level 60, you're dropping over 100-200K for one level bump, not to mention at this point your farming and hearing is in full force and lots of promotions are blossoming. The main gripe is that for the cost of energy refresh, you could do pretty well in getting those credits. Now it's very tough!

Side note on GW - at least for me, they've been tougher, but still doable with some sacrificial teams and a better strategy on my part.
  • medetec wrote: »
    Having keycard battles overlap challenges is silly in the first place. Scrap the current credit and droid battles entirely, add one more credit/droid challenge day per week, and add something actually interesting to keycards like a small payout of a random currency (GW, Arena, Shard Shop etc) or just a random character shard or something. Something not already covered by existing battles.

Yeah I get that, but the way I always see it was the daily challenges were good guaranteed winnings and the events are daily but have some risk-reward to it.

Actually really like the idea of the bonus currency or shards. But I'll be happy with a fix to the profit mining. At least something worth taking the risk on spent energy.

Well, one of the random currencies awarded in the proposed "random currency battle" I guess could be credits in a large quantity. That way theres still sort of a risk (no credits is a possibility, or not the currency you want) but there's always a reward, rather than the basic non-existance of keycard battles currently.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't understand the fuss....then you go on to essentially explain the fuss. See? Not that difficult to grasp.
  • I don't understand the fuss....then you go on to essentially explain the fuss. See? Not that difficult to grasp.
    Hrm? Someone else asked what the fuss was, right?
  • Yeah, I was quoting Mittens.