Gar - Yay or Nay

I have enough shard shop currency to max him at 7*

The question is ... is he good enough to be of any real use in an Empire team with say, a Thrawn or Tarkin lead ...

Replies

• Nay.. enough said. Need more mandalorians and some faction that has to do with Saxon, otherwise there are just too many other empire toons or drop and replace toons that are light years better for arena, gw, etc
    "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

https://swgoh.gg/u/humblemaverick/

• Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    He's very good for the P1 HAAT Retribution teams if you've also got 7* GK. I've seen his leader ability take down some strong teams, but the team behind it was Thrawn, GK, DN, and Deathtrooper so like not sure how much his lead did other than making Thrawn and Deathtrooper even more of a threat by giving them more chances to use their basics. I think the lead was zeta'd but I'm not sure.
  • TheoPatino
    100 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    The ship seems more useful. An Ima Gun-Di for Empire players has it's uses against certain squads though.
  • He is not worth 7 staring based off shard shop currency. Waits for FAT
  • Nay
  • I have enough shard shop currency to max him at 7*

The question is ... is he good enough to be of any real use in an Empire team with say, a Thrawn or Tarkin lead ...

I had the same dilemma with my shard shop currency, and was thinking him in P1. Apparently he's not that great, he just doesn't hit hard enough, even hitting 6 times, compared to the alternatives.
  • K_mett1
    299 posts Member
    Yay or Nay? I'd be forced to give him a solid ehh.

Counter attacking & assists have always interested me so he's one character that I do plan on starring up, albeit slowly, but I'll hold off on gearing him up till I find a purpose for him.
  • Well, counter attacking Palpatine and Krennic is no joke, his kit looks legit for me too. Also, his AoE is the most damage dealing out of all, so it's also on plus. His assists to every counter attack is something. I'll definitely go for him, after I 7 star some other imperial toons.
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    I saw a Gar lead in GW that did 9.000 damage per attack, with an ISC that did 11.000 per attack, I beat this team, but only Gar and his assists killed 2 of my characters (I used some AOE's, so Gar attacked many times) He's not arena viable, but he is good for other things and fun to play)(I have him and his ISC at gear 7, but they seem fun).
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    Yay on ship if you use Tarkin, character is nay
  • Thx for the tips!

Yeah my concern is not only the fact he doesn't hit that hard, but say in an Empire comp .. who would I drop in his place?

Right now I'm running ZThrawn (L), DT, TFP, Shore and ZZDN but I'm a bit reticent about dropping DN or even TFP in favor of Gar
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Thx for the tips!

Yeah my concern is not only the fact he doesn't hit that hard, but say in an Empire comp .. who would I drop in his place?

Right now I'm running ZThrawn (L), DT, TFP, Shore and ZZDN but I'm a bit reticent about dropping DN or even TFP in favor of Gar

dropping DN certainly wouldn't be an option. if you were dropping anyone I would think it would have to be TFP.

• I have been slowly working on Gar as he seems like fun to play. I like using toons that a lot of other people are not using. Keeps things fresh for me. But since his shards are on a hard node, it will be a while before he is 7*. Currently only 4* gear 7. I tried him on some of the easier dark side nodes with dooku, first order stormtrooper and DT. Loved all the counter attacks. Was fun seeing a dark side team do that.
  • Rapid wrote: »
    Thx for the tips!

dropping DN certainly wouldn't be an option. if you were dropping anyone I would think it would have to be TFP.

Yeah that's the challenge, my TFP is fast and hits like a bomb. It's funny but I had him collecting dust for months until Thrawn came along and I threw my ZFulcrum mods over on him and he ends up being a crazy fast critical damage dealer of death again. Since Gar doesn't seem like he's going to supplant TFP in that respect I might just replace TFP with GK instead.
  • Dark_Helmet152
    529 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    If Vader and Thrawn counter, and Vader's ability block sticks, will he be stunned by Thrawn? Or will he be ability blocked with speed up and ability blocked the next turn as well? Either way an AOE against them would be dangerous.