Bounty Hunters should be NEUTRAL -- DEV RESPONSE

Replies

• Supercat wrote: »
    CameronD wrote: »
    Honestly it's just easier to leave all bounty hunters as bad. I get some are neutral,(Hondo)some are good(Embo) and some are outright bad(Boba) but if we split them up then it's harder to make synergies with the same faction on different "sides"

I agree 100% embo helping kidnap palpatine in the CW was very good of him. And his performance in the box? How good of him! And lets not forget the time he tried to kill anakin, padme, and clovis!

Did you miss the part where he wasn't supposed to kill them, but make it seem like it?

He killed padme' maid

Sugi is the only "good" bounty hunter

• Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    I wasn't really thinking about bounty hunters for a neutral tag... more like jawas or Ugnaughts. Jawas really never do anything to be dark, and definitely don't do anything to be considered light. Same with ugnaughts. And then there's also characters like revan, star killer, kallus, Galen erso (who was literally the most passive, non side picking person in the galaxy), saw garrerra (he was basically a monster who fought against slightly worse monsters), embo (he did noble things like defend villages from pirates but still killed people), characters like nute gunray, poggle, etc. and of course, Han and chewie (c'mon, they were smugglers n'stuff)
  • *puts on nerd glasses* if sometime in the future we get a bounty hunter ventress would she be dark or light? She did save poor pluma. And what about all the dirty things cassian andor and many other rebels did?

Ive said it before and I'm saying it again: They are holograms not the real fictional characters.

I think its fine the way it is. Imho
  • Georgemi6 wrote: »
    I wasn't really thinking about bounty hunters for a neutral tag... more like jawas or Ugnaughts. Jawas really never do anything to be dark, and definitely don't do anything to be considered light. Same with ugnaughts. And then there's also characters like revan, star killer, kallus, Galen erso (who was literally the most passive, non side picking person in the galaxy), saw garrerra (he was basically a monster who fought against slightly worse monsters), embo (he did noble things like defend villages from pirates but still killed people), characters like nute gunray, poggle, etc. and of course, Han and chewie (c'mon, they were smugglers n'stuff)

Revan, Starkiller, and Kallus were all either light or dark, yes they switched sides, but none were both at the same time. If you think they should be both/neutral then Dooku should be as well.

Saw and Galen would be very cool additions, and especially at the same time, simply because they break the mold. Saw pretty much has to be a Darkside Rebel, Galen a Lightside Empire.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    Bounty Hunters have a Dark Side tag on them, but truly they are neutral, loyal to credits only.

So I'm thinking they should get a rework and NEUTRAL be added to the game so we could use them on either Light or Dark side battles.

This could also pave the way for characters like Revan, who is both Light and Dark.

Then add Jango. :D

Side note: I want this mainly because I focused extremely hard on dark side characters and most of my light side characters are just meh. I can't beat Light Side 9a NORMAL. Working on my Clones, though. Still, makes sense for them (bounty hunters) to go to either side of the spectrum.

---

NRAJ EDIT: Dev Response is here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1183288#Comment_1183288

I'd say the light side and dark side requirements for those battles adds to the theme of them but mainly rewards larger rosters, which has been requested, because the only other difference those tags make that I can think of is R2D2's unique ability. I do hope Jango Fett gets added though
  • The Bounty Hunters in SW are more like assassins, they aren't operating in the name of the law. They catch guys for money so another guy can kill or torture them. Their motivations are money and greed, willing to catch them by any means including killing and torturing others. Pretty sure that's not good, evil, bad, dark.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Revan, Starkiller, and Kallus were all either light or dark, yes they switched sides, but none were both at the same time.
    Revan was. Had a huge argument on this forum about that before lol.
  • Olga wrote: »
    Revan, Starkiller, and Kallus were all either light or dark, yes they switched sides, but none were both at the same time.
    Revan was. Had a huge argument on this forum about that before lol.

Unless my memory is wrong, haven't played Kotor in over a decade, Revan wasn't. He could access both sides of the force, but he was still only one or the other at any one time.

Anakin isn't a Jedi and Sith just because he spends 3 seasons in CW running around Force Choking anyone who gets in his way, he's just a really terrible Jedi.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    He split into 2 different separate entities that fought against eachother.
  • Peer
    299 posts Member
    First off, the quote is, "For the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil." So taking credits to kill a man isn't evi... um.

eat24_bear_****_recap_hawkward.jpg

Secondly, our game doesn't really have the concept of "neutral" when it comes to the Light/Dark. Additionally, I'm of the mindset that Light/Dark affiliation isn't something you simply state and then are. Bounty Hunters, while working for the highest bidder, do things that are morally ambiguous at best, and morally reprehensible at worst.

PERSONAL OPINION INCOMING: I believe that within the Star Wars universe every known character can be classified as Light or Dark, and that BEING one of these two things doesn't mean that you're "Good" or "Evil". In the same way a person can be fundamentally "Dark" and yet still do "good" things (Asajj helping Ahsoka), someone can be "Light" and be on the path of "evil" (Anakin, duh). I mean, look at Anakin, was he EVER really light side? Sure he's done a lot of good things, and his affection for Ahsoka is truly pure and fatherly. But his actions through-and-through are driven by a fundamental selfishness.

Sure, he's "Light Side", but that doesn't mean he's a good guy.

In the same way, Bounty Hunters are Dark Side in that they have willingly chosen a profession that is inherently morally "dark". While some of them can be "decent" individuals, and even "good" in some aspects of their character, they have willingly chosen a "dark" path. Thus, they are unlikely to be flagged as Neutral and will remain Dark Side (unless we get indicators that a character should be flagged otherwise).

giphy.gif

*cough* revan *cough* *cough*

Being neither light or dark while somehow being both does not even out as neutral.
  • Peer wrote: »
    First off, the quote is, "For the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil." So taking credits to kill a man isn't evi... um.

Secondly, our game doesn't really have the concept of "neutral" when it comes to the Light/Dark. Additionally, I'm of the mindset that Light/Dark affiliation isn't something you simply state and then are. Bounty Hunters, while working for the highest bidder, do things that are morally ambiguous at best, and morally reprehensible at worst.

PERSONAL OPINION INCOMING: I believe that within the Star Wars universe every known character can be classified as Light or Dark, and that BEING one of these two things doesn't mean that you're "Good" or "Evil". In the same way a person can be fundamentally "Dark" and yet still do "good" things (Asajj helping Ahsoka), someone can be "Light" and be on the path of "evil" (Anakin, duh). I mean, look at Anakin, was he EVER really light side? Sure he's done a lot of good things, and his affection for Ahsoka is truly pure and fatherly. But his actions through-and-through are driven by a fundamental selfishness.

In the same way, Bounty Hunters are Dark Side in that they have willingly chosen a profession that is inherently morally "dark". While some of them can be "decent" individuals, and even "good" in some aspects of their character, they have willingly chosen a "dark" path. Thus, they are unlikely to be flagged as Neutral and will remain Dark Side (unless we get indicators that a character should be flagged otherwise).

giphy.gif

Being neither light or dark while somehow being both does not even out as neutral.

So in other words, he is not good nor evil, but both at the same time so he isn't neutral.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    @Topic: Imo OP is right, Bounty hunters, Mandalorian, Scoundrels, they all were mostly neutral - they didnt care about light or dark side, they just made their own business. Hondo and his Pirates may refer dark, as ... ya ... they were pirates ...
    However i understand, there was never been thought about a 3rd side between dark and light, so there are no game mechanics/codes for it. A change would just give them the chance to add another thousands of bugs, so we rather stick with dark/light only. :wink:
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • I thought the accepted reality of this game is that we are given version of characters at certain points in their history. For example, we have Anakin (Light Side, Jedi) and Darth Vader (Dark Side, Sith), while being the same person (so to speak).

I was simply under the impression that the Boba Fett we have is Boba Fett from The Empire Strikes Back, when he was affiliated with the Empire and as such, seen as Dark Side by affiliation.

If hypothetically there was ever a version of Boba Fett where he was allied with Jedi or Rebels, there's no reason why that specific version of him couldn't be Light Side, I wouldn't think.

• Peer
    299 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Peer wrote: »

giphy.gif

So in other words, he is not good nor evil, but both at the same time so he isn't neutral.

Yes, there is no middle. Anyhow, there might be reasonable arguments to claim that Bounts Hounters could be seen as a neutral faction in terms of force affiliation, since most of them are not force sensitive or did not receive any training to exploit their talent. But with regard to what they actually do a light side affiliation is not possible.

With Revan, things are more complicated.
  • First_but_66_Order
    1014 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Tedbeast wrote: »
    Bounty Hunters are Dark Side.

Yeah, I'm aware. But I'm saying the SHOULDN'T be. They follow the money. Money isn't evil or good.

Money is the root of all evil.

Leave as is, IMO. I think it's better to leave the game as dark and light side only, least we start getting grey jedi garbage....

IMO:
    Jango = dark
    Galen= light
    Revan should not be in this game.
    Agent Kallus, dunno haven't seen season 3 yet.

Correction:
    The love of the money is the root of all sorts of evil.
    1Timothy 6: 10
  • There is no hope then, to completely rule out something like that when the devs themselves dont know where the story is going is naive, especially when the story for EP8 suggests that thats where its going....

if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Devs. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace...a larger view of the saga
    My Collection Red Lining the Revan Counter

• Tedbeast wrote: »
    Bounty Hunters are Dark Side.

Yeah, I'm aware. But I'm saying the SHOULDN'T be. They follow the money. Money isn't evil or good.

Money is the root of all evil.

Leave as is, IMO. I think it's better to leave the game as dark and light side only, least we start getting grey jedi garbage....

IMO:
    Jango = dark
    Galen= light
    Revan should not be in this game.
    Agent Kallus, dunno haven't seen season 3 yet.

Correction:
    The love of the money is the root of all sorts of evil.
    1Timothy 6: 10

Are you quoting some SW canon statement?
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    There is no hope then, to completely rule out something like that when the devs themselves dont know where the story is going is naive, especially when the story for EP8 suggests that thats where its going....

if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Devs. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace...a larger view of the saga
    I think it's more to do with how the game is coded. I think it's just not possible to have a neutral faction in the game.
  • So toons have to be Dark or Light, one or the other??!!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." Some wise Jedi taught me that.

This game is run by the Sith. Makes sense they load the game with Rebel after Rebel toon, to throw us off.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Would yoda kill for credits?

It seems like killing people for greed is almost not good.
  • Olddumper wrote: »
    Would yoda kill for credits?

It seems like killing people for greed is almost not good.

Yoda isn't a bounty hunter, though.
  • There isn't any concept of "I'm doing this because I'm good/bad" for bounty hunters. They are just doing what they do, good or bad, for money. They are above this good vs evil struggle, so to speak.
  • Olga wrote: »
    Olga wrote: »
    They murder people for profit. Doesn't seem very neutral to me.

They can also NOT murder people for profit. ;)
    Yeah I guess. Some bounty hunters are light side, like Mira from KotOR 2. It depends on the individual character though.

Yeah, zuckus and 4-lom worked for rebels and Embo helped a village fight against pirates.
  • But if we go this route then it changes everything. Even rebels could be dark side really. You can see that in rogue one. Cassian even admits him and his crew did terrible things for the alliance.
  • DieInFire wrote: »
    Sugi is the only "good" bounty hunter

@DieInFire this is the truth!
    Barris irl imo idk
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    Wait... If there is no neutrality... Then how do we categorize the Bendu?
  • Spyda wrote: »

I think based on size alone the chances we get Bendu are pretty slim.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    There isn't any concept of "I'm doing this because I'm good/bad" for bounty hunters. They are just doing what they do, good or bad, for money. They are above this good vs evil struggle, so to speak.

Lol. Situational ethics, while it attempts to do so, does not actually rise above absolute truth.

Put another way, just because money is neutral, doesn't mean all actions taken to obtain it are.

I agree with the devs - partially because they get to decide, as they control the parameters of the game, but also because their position supports the concept of absolute truth. Which I happen to agree with - and the Star Wars universe has always upheld as well. Despite more recent attempts to muddy the waters.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    Spyda wrote: »

That's easy...you put him in the category of self-centered ****!
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Maybe. I'm not gonna pretend I know what is or isn't possible. Just seems like one of those things that probably should have been in the original design and might be troublesome to add retroactively.