Star Wars Movies

Prev1
Rey23
13 posts Member
I am SO EXCITED for The Last Jedi. I can't wait! It comes out 5 days after my birthday so that's even more exciting. What is everyone hoping to see in it?

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Angry/guilty/emotionally complex luke, snoke training kylo in the dark side (we've never seen dark side training), some development in phasma's character, but most of all, i want to see what i dont know i want to see. I want this movie to surprise me like TFA did (im not talking about plot).
  • Rey23
    13 posts Member
    What are you talking about. I think I know but I want you to say to let me know.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Rey23 wrote: »
    What are you talking about. I think I know but I want you to say to let me know.
    What surprised me about TFA? An unpredictable villain who wasn't just a generic evil dude with a random deformation (which is literally every sith in all of star wars), instantly likable characters, and well written scenes between those characters (ex: tie fighter scene with poe and finn).

TFA gets a lot of trash talk (somewhat deservedly so) for having an unoriginal, lazily designed plot. However, the best parts of the movie aren't those unoriginal parts. The best parts are the new things. Things i didnt know about going into the movie. Thats what i want to see in TLJ: new things that i cant imagine
  • ilNomad
    236 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    What surprised me about TFA? An unpredictable villain who wasn't just a generic evil dude with a random deformation (which is literally every sith in all of star wars), instantly likable characters, and well written scenes between those characters (ex: tie fighter scene with poe and finn).

TFA gets a lot of trash talk (somewhat deservedly so) for having an unoriginal, lazily designed plot. However, the best parts of the movie aren't those unoriginal parts. The best parts are the new things. Things i didnt know about going into the movie. Thats what i want to see in TLJ: new things that i cant imagine

I completely agree with those points about why it's positive. But even now, I still have a very hard time getting around the plot issue. It prevents me from enjoying the movie as it stands by itself. I haven't figured out how to do it - fact of the matter is, Star Wars movies can never stand alone, it's a whole series of movies and it's impossible for me to see TFA by itself. Ah well :(
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    ilNomad wrote: »

I completely agree with those points about why it's positive. But even now, I still have a very hard time getting around the plot issue. It prevents me from enjoying the movie as it stands by itself. I haven't figured out how to do it - fact of the matter is, Star Wars movies can never stand alone, it's a whole series of movies and it's impossible for me to see TFA by itself. Ah well :(

Thats perfectly fine. Everyone has their own standards they use to judge the quality of movies
  • ilNomad
    236 posts Member
    ilNomad wrote: »

Thats perfectly fine. Everyone has their own standards they use to judge the quality of movies

Of course. That's all I meant by it. Wish I could see it like you did!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I too am excited about TLJ and E9 when that is finally released too.

I think for the most part anything they do can be new and exciting. For example I am interested to see Luke's explanation as to why the jedi must end and the new direction the movies are going with the force - dark and light (Eg. Kylo's darkside teachings but his pull to the light as well as Rey seeing both dark and light in the force).

But I am also extremely anxious (being a huge and long-standing star wars fan). How will they explain Rey's heritage as well as Snoke's backstory. There are great theories out there that Rey is Luke's daughter and that Snoke was once Darth Plagueis, but there are also terrible theories.

How Disney and Johnson deal with these issues, to me, holds Star Wars hanging in the balance, that could break the lore of this wonderful world Lucas created and could at worst destroy the franchise.

Time will tell.
  • Boo wrote: »
    I too am excited about TLJ and E9 when that is finally released too.

I think for the most part anything they do can be new and exciting. For example I am interested to see Luke's explanation as to why the jedi must end and the new direction the movies are going with the force - dark and light (Eg. Kylo's darkside teachings but his pull to the light as well as Rey seeing both dark and light in the force).

But I am also extremely anxious (being a huge and long-standing star wars fan). How will they explain Rey's heritage as well as Snoke's backstory. There are great theories out there that Rey is Luke's daughter and that Snoke was once Darth Plagueis, but there are also terrible theories.

How Disney and Johnson deal with these issues, to me, holds Star Wars hanging in the balance, that could break the lore of this wonderful world Lucas created and could at worst destroy the franchise.

Time will tell.

Snoke is Jar-Jar. Just wait for EP9 - Revenge of the Gungan.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    If theres one thing i hope they dont do in the new movies, its introduce a prophecy. Prophecies are horrible (especially in star wars)
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    If theres one thing i hope they dont do in the new movies, its introduce a prophecy. Prophecies are horrible (especially in star wars)

Cat's out of the bag on that one. At least what they can do is tidy up the story of the prophecy re: balance of the force (grey - the use of dark & light), which is what they are doing.

They need not introduce anything more about the prophecy re: Rey etc, that would be silly.

But I do not like how the prophecy existence is not explained - how Anakin came to be - was it the sheer will of the force, Plagueis - or a mixture of both (Plagueis was only able to create life due to the will of the force on that one occasion).

I think it would be nice if Snoke is Plagueis to help flesh out his back story and explain the prophecy.

Another idea could be another Star Wars Story movie of a young jedi knight Yoda - his adventure that led him to the discovery of and interpretation of the Jedi Prophecy of the Chosen One - that could be interesting.

But if Rey turns out to be another Anakin chosen one - I'm out of the theatre - bye bye!
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Cat's out of the bag on that one. At least what they can do is tidy up the story of the prophecy re: balance of the force (grey - the use of dark & light), which is what they are doing.

They need not introduce anything more about the prophecy re: Rey etc, that would be silly.

But I do not like how the prophecy existence is not explained - how Anakin came to be - was it the sheer will of the force, Plagueis - or a mixture of both (Plagueis was only able to create life due to the will of the force on that one occasion).

I think it would be nice if Snoke is Plagueis to help flesh out his back story and explain the prophecy.

Another idea could be another Star Wars Story movie of a young jedi knight Yoda - his adventure that led him to the discovery of and interpretation of the Jedi Prophecy of the Chosen One - that could be interesting.

But if Rey turns out to be another Anakin chosen one - I'm out of the theatre - bye bye!
    Id prefer that rots is the last time a prophecy is ever mentioned in star wars.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I just wish they never introduced the whole prophecy thing to begin with quite frankly, but they did and it changed the entire star wars lore.

I just hate open-ended plots and leaving it all up in the air is just as bad, if not worse, than creating it in the first place.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    I just wish they never introduced the whole prophecy thing to begin with quite frankly, but they did and it changed the entire star wars lore.

I just hate open-ended plots and leaving it all up in the air is just as bad, if not worse, than creating it in the first place.

I disagree about there being an open-ended plot. The prophecy was simply a plot device to add depth to Anakin's redemptive story. Other then that really the prophecy is nothing anymore and for that reason I agree that it should be left alone.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    open ended =

* Who created Anakin aka The Chosen One - Plagueis, the force itself or a bit of both?
    * Can the character of Plagueis shed some light on this issue - is Plagueis Snoke?
    * Who created the prophecy?
    * Has there been balance in the force due to the Chosen One's existence?
    - if so, is this explained or guess work reading between the lines of fans?
    * Is Rey a Skywalker, carrying on the work of the Chosen One (Anakin) through the will of the force, being a skywalker descendent?
    * How will there be balance in the force and acknowledgement that the prophecy was ever fulfilled?

All of these questions mean that one of the most powerful storylines of the star wars saga (no matter how terrible of an idea it was in the first place) is unknown - too strange to me and makes the whole idea of the prophecy even worse in my opinion that they don't somehow wrap it up.

Like I have said, I would have preferred that there was no prophecy ever mentioned at all, but that is another example of George Lucas going crazy when he wrote the PT. Cats out of the bag, so it should be dealt with.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    open ended =

* Who created Anakin aka The Chosen One - Plagueis, the force itself or a bit of both?
    * Can the character of Plagueis shed some light on this issue - is Plagueis Snoke?
    * Is Rey a Skywalker, carrying on the work of the Chosen One (Anakin) through the will of the force, being a skywalker descendent?
    * How will there be balance in the force and acknowledgement that the prophecy was ever fulfilled?

All of these questions mean that one of the most powerful storylines of the star wars saga (no matter how terrible of an idea it was in the first place) is unknown - too strange to me and makes the whole idea of the prophecy even worse in my opinion that they don't somehow wrap it up.

Like I have said, I would have preferred that there was no prophecy ever mentioned at all, but that is another example of George Lucas going crazy when he wrote the PT. Cats out of the bag, so it should be dealt with.

If we're going by only whats been discussed in canon:

1) anakin was conceived by the force
    2) snoke was just some sith. Theres no canon indication that hes connected to palps or anakin
    3) prophecies rarely have defined origins and even if this one did, it ran its course
    4) vader brought balance by ending the sith (of the time). Prophecy isnt necessarily meant to last forever
    5) theres more evidence to suggest the prophecy begins and ends with the chosen one than otherwise
    6) chosen "one", not "two"
    7) the sith were defeated (probably temporarily, but they were defeated

The whole point of the prophecy was to make vader's redemption a result of fate. Lucas had no intention of continuing the saga so the only explanation for the prophecy introduced in the prequels was to give ROTJ "more meaning".

TLDR: we're done with prophecy stuff
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    open ended =

2) snoke was just some sith. Theres no canon indication that hes connected to palps or anakin
    3) prophecies rarely have defined origins and even if this one did, it ran its course
    4) vader brought balance by ending the sith (of the time). Prophecy isnt necessarily meant to last forever
    5) theres more evidence to suggest the prophecy begins and ends with the chosen one than otherwise

The whole point of the prophecy was to make vader's redemption a result of fate. Lucas had no intention of continuing the saga so the only explanation for the prophecy introduced in the prequels was to give ROTJ "more meaning".

True, but why is the new trilogy moving into the realms of grey jedi where there is a mixture of light and dark - to me, that's more balance than Anakin/Vader ever brought. But even Rey being trained in this way is a result of Anakin/Vader/the Chosen One - as Luke is a product of the Chosen One's actions in life. Jedi are not meant to have children but he did. He is a product of the force just as Luke is the grandson of the force.

Due to Anakin/Vaders actions the prophecy and will of the force lives on in Luke, although he is not the chosen one himself. If Rey is indeed Luke's daughter then that only enhances what I am saying.

Secondly - if you are speaking about cannon, then we have no knowledge whether Sonke was or is sith. I certainly do not believe him to be currently a sith as the sith have been defeated. I doubt they will return, as you say the prophecy basically states this to give ROTJ more meaning and is why Kylo is not a sith/darth he is a Knight of Ren - whatever that is, we will see.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    open ended =

True, but why is the new trilogy moving into the realms of grey jedi where there is a mixture of light and dark - to me, that's more balance than Anakin/Vader ever brought. But even Rey being trained in this way is a result of Anakin/Vader/the Chosen One - as Luke is a product of the Chosen One's actions in life. Jedi are not meant to have children but he did. He is a product of the force just as Luke is the grandson of the force.

Due to Anakin/Vaders actions the prophecy and will of the force lives on in Luke, although he is not the chosen one himself. If Rey is indeed Luke's daughter then that only enhances what I am saying.

Secondly - if you are speaking about cannon, then we have no knowledge whether Sonke was or is sith. I certainly do not believe him to be currently a sith as the sith have been defeated. I doubt they will return, as you say the prophecy basically states this to give ROTJ more meaning and is why Kylo is not a sith/darth he is a Knight of Ren - whatever that is, we will see.

Lol, for someone who claims to hate the whole prophecy thing, you seem to be bending over backwards to make it continue. (Not criticising, just pointing out that you may be overthinking it)

There is no indication that the whole "chosen one" thing is genetic. I always assumed it started and ended with anakin since nothing suggests otherwise.

Also, you can bring balance to the force multiple times. The Chosen One presumably brought balance for 30-40 years which seems enough to me. Just because theres a resurgance in the dark side doesnt mean the prophecy is still relevant. It ran its course.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    open ended =

Lol, for someone who claims to hate the whole prophecy thing, you seem to be bending over backwards to make it continue. (Not criticising, just pointing out that you may be overthinking it)

There is no indication that the whole "chosen one" thing is genetic. I always assumed it started and ended with anakin since nothing suggests otherwise.

Also, you can bring balance to the force multiple times. The Chosen One presumably brought balance for 30-40 years which seems enough to me. Just because theres a resurgance in the dark side doesnt mean the prophecy is still relevant. It ran its course.

True, but I am not saying the prophecy is genetic. Simply that Anakin only exists by the will of the force, therefore so do, Luke, Leia, Ben/Kylo and possibly Rey. The lineage of the Chosen One lives on, I am not saying they are all the Chosen One, Anakin/Vader was - I am just saying that Jedi are not meant to have children but Anakin did. His actions, the actions of the chosen one and the force itself live on in the skywalker lineage and may continue to evolve the teachings of the force to ultimately bring balance.

So if Rey studies the light and dark and finds balance in the force, then that is the product of Anakin, The Chosen One and the Prophecy/will of the force itself, not Rey alone.

Like I say, I wish the whole prophecy was never invested, but it was and I and we all have to deal with that. I just hate open ended plot points, especially one apparently so significant to the story (as Star wars is about the Skywalker family - which is the family of the chosen one) and how this ultimately effects the force going forward. We have seen sith and jedi and now it seems we are about to experience something new.

The fact that Rey is apparently studying light and dark, as well as Kylo seeking power of the dark side while continuously struggling with the light (and Snoke sees that as power not a weakness) is not a coincidence in regard to the whole balance of the force prophecy - I don't buy it.
  • I'm not as excited about TLJ as I was about TFA because TFA was an unoriginal and predictable letdown. TLJ trailer does look better then the TFA one was, but I fear it'll be ESB II. R1 has helped ease my pessimism though, but Disney has to redeem themselves more then Vader did (who I didn't redeem in my eyes)
  • Rey23
    13 posts Member
    Interesting @Krayden_Phogg

I'm really excited about it. There's a new female character for the movie. Her name is Rose. From the article I read it hinted she might have scenes with Luke. I'm really excited for it. I did not like Rouge One as much as I thought I would. Sad. I am excited for the two new spin offs. Han Solo and Boba Fett.
  • Rey23 wrote: »
    Interesting @Krayden_Phogg

I'm really excited about it. There's a new female character for the movie. Her name is Rose. From the article I read it hinted she might have scenes with Luke. I'm really excited for it. I did not like Rouge One as much as I thought I would. Sad. I am excited for the two new spin offs. Han Solo and Boba Fett.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything from her character. This is the same franchise that has the guys from The Raid:Remption and The Raid II, but they didn't fight at all in TFA. I was looking forward to them being in it because I thought they'd be in the Knights of Ren. The Han Solo film sounds lame and has already had the directors leave the project. The Boba Fett film has been canned.
  • The chosen one was supposed to bring balance to the force. There were 2 sith and hundreds of jedi. By ANH there were 2 sith, and 2 jedi, yoda and ben. So in a way anakin did bring balance. But also Yoda says the prophecy could have been misread. In rebels, *spoiler* Old Ben refers to Luke as the chosen one. So I can't wait to see if luke is in fact the actual chosen one to bring balance to the force again, perhaps by ending the jedi he hopes to end the sith as well.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    The chosen one was supposed to bring balance to the force. There were 2 sith and hundreds of jedi. By ANH there were 2 sith, and 2 jedi, yoda and ben. So in a way anakin did bring balance. But also Yoda says the prophecy could have been misread. In rebels, *spoiler* Old Ben refers to Luke as the chosen one. So I can't wait to see if luke is in fact the actual chosen one to bring balance to the force again, perhaps by ending the jedi he hopes to end the sith as well.

Nobody said "balance" means having an equal number of sith and jedi. The sith bring unbalance whil the jedi preserve it. Also, ben calls luke the chosen one because he believed anakin was beyond saving.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    The chosen one was supposed to bring balance to the force. There were 2 sith and hundreds of jedi. By ANH there were 2 sith, and 2 jedi, yoda and ben. So in a way anakin did bring balance. But also Yoda says the prophecy could have been misread. In rebels, *spoiler* Old Ben refers to Luke as the chosen one. So I can't wait to see if luke is in fact the actual chosen one to bring balance to the force again, perhaps by ending the jedi he hopes to end the sith as well.

Nobody said "balance" means having an equal number of sith and jedi. The sith bring unbalance whil the jedi preserve it. Also, ben calls luke the chosen one because he believed anakin was beyond saving.

Yoda did. Before the clone wars while pondering anakins future. But I think its in the legends category now not canon. But I agree that ben felt hopeless about anakin, who was supposed to be "the chosen one" and "destroy the sith not join them", and from his certain point of view has a new hope in Luke. Every one sees prophecy the way they want it to be, even the jedi. Which is why yoda warned the prophecy could have been misread. Even if old ben believed luke was the chosen on doesnt actually make him the chosen one, just as qgj believed anakin was the chosen one.
  • Rey23
    13 posts Member
    Good points by everyone.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

According to the Jedi - Anakin failed to bring balance, so look to Luke as their new chosen one. Anakin was the chosen one and indeed did bring balance.

True balance in the force I take it as use of dark & light as one entity rather than to individual factions. So although Luke is not directly the chosen one he is the product of the chosen one's action in life - through Luke perhaps the prophecy of balance is still at work which is why he trains Rey in both light and dark.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member

According to the Jedi - Anakin failed to bring balance, so look to Luke as their new chosen one. Anakin was the chosen one and indeed did bring balance.

True balance in the force I take it as use of dark & light as one entity rather than to individual factions. So although Luke is not directly the chosen one he is the product of the chosen one's action in life - through Luke perhaps the prophecy of balance is still at work which is why he trains Rey in both light and dark.

How do you know Luke trains Rey in both light and dark?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »

I guess no one is 100% sure, but in the trailer he asks what she sees in the force and her response if light and dark. He then shows her some old manuscript/tome in the jedi temple that shows light and dark in it.

He then says its time for the jedi to end.

In return of the jedi - like sith he used his emotions. It was the emotional love and attachment to his father that redeemed Anakin - something the jedi could not comprehend. He used passion and emotion for good, so use of the dark for good is not evil.

This is also all reflected in the storyline in Star Wars Rebels. It is pretty clear that Disney is taking us on a journey to experience a new side of the force we have not yet seen.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »

I guess no one is 100% sure, but in the trailer he asks what she sees in the force and her response if light and dark. He then shows her some old manuscript/tome in the jedi temple that shows light and dark in it.

He then says its time for the jedi to end.

In return of the jedi - like sith he used his emotions. It was the emotional love and attachment to his father that redeemed Anakin - something the jedi could not comprehend. He used passion and emotion for good, so use of the dark for good is not evil.

This is also all reflected in the storyline in Star Wars Rebels. It is pretty clear that Disney is taking us on a journey to experience a new side of the force we have not yet seen.

I'm sorry Boo but I'm not buying it. It's an interesting theory but your assumptions are based on the teaser for TLJ. We don't know the context of anything in the teaser. We don't know why Luke said the Jedi must end. We don't know if Luke is showing Rey those old manuscripts. We don't know if they are in a temple. And we don't know what content from the teaser will actually even be in TLJ.

Return of the Jedi:
    Luke did not use his emotions like a sith and he did not use the dark for good. In star wars emotion and attachment are not synonymous for dark side.

Rebels:
    Can you show me where you see this mixing of light and dark in Rebels? I haven't seen it yet. Ezra is not commended for using the dark side and we see him abandon it and his connection with Maul. Maul himself was all dark side. The Bendu is not grey but indifferent and ambiguous.

Disney may yet change our understanding of the force but up till now I don't think there is any grey in star wars.
  • Luke did let his emotions over run him temporarily in ROTJ when fighting Vader.

He also used a force choke, which is more synonymous with the dark side.