Game Crash / Freeze Issues (New Patch 7/3 Related Only) [Mega] -- DEV RESPONSE

Replies

• They've been "aware of the crashes" and "working on fixes" (https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1181925/#Comment_1181925) for months now (just have some patience, search for "ship crashes" in the bugs section, and you'll see that this has been here since ships were [badly] introduced).

They know very well that this is because the game is loading too many complex resources at once, and that it doesn't release many of those resources. And they don't care. The "show pilot's face on the corner" thing was just a big f-u to those of us who don't change tablets every 6 months to keep up with the latest and greatest in tech specs.
    The most recent generalised wave of crashes is just because they increased the game's resource usage even more (or did you think that the more detailed characters and ships appearing at the same time as the crashes was just a coincidence?).

What I don't understand is this:
    - Why not make ships into its own game? In mobile games (and environments), smaller and simpler is often better...
    - Why not reduce the complexity of the models currently in the game? It's not like we're going to notice much of a difference in a 10" screen (or smaller, if you're on a phone)

I fear for the future, and for what new bugs and crashes Territory Battles will bring... :-\

P.S.: When I say months, I'm not exaggerating. This kind of crashes has been here since ships. But, at the time, it only afflicted a "small" percentage of the player base (myself included). The only difference now is that the models used are even more detailed, and a greater percentage of the player base complaining.

This right here^^^^^^

I noticed my game crashing the days ships were released...but it only was the ship portion of the game so I kept on playing and spending(my stupidity I guess). I complained about ships crashing more than any other person around and when a dev finally responded they said I have a low spec device lol. I was like wow really?

I didn't ask for ships....I actually hate the ship portion of this game.

I didn't ask for ship captain pictures to be added at the top of the screen.

I just want to keep playing the game like I was before all this crashing crap became an issue.

@BigSillyPanda is 100% right about all of this.

Devs need to think about all the players...not just the ones who play on the "latest high tech" devices!!
  • GW crashed three times, game crashed as I was scrolling through my toons, and arena crashed once. Clearly, it's not fixed yet and even worse, now it's totally random in what I have to guess will crash today.
  • iPhone 6
    iOS 10.3.3

More crashes today. Not sure what's going on, but keeping you updated that it's still happening.
  • Lost 100 energy trying to do light side 9a. Farthest I got was transition from stage 2 to 3 before it crashed. Two of the five crashed right after I selected my team. If you guys won't fix it then refund my money.
  • Gawejn
    1106 posts Member
    It is very strange that my iPhone sometimes is so hot. I wonder when it will explode. More strange is when i start to play i can hear very strange sounds buzzing in my ears. When i stop to play sounds stop. What is this game connected to? What kind of company is this?is there a hidden agenda behind this
    game? Maybe it is sucking people life energy and make them stuck with small mobile phone game which is not important in life but is making players to have idea that is fun and entartainment to shop and check if there is something interesting in shop. It is a shopping game play. I never could think that someone could invent a game shop mode play. Most of the time i dont play but sim and check shop and buy. And for now this shop game mode plus crush mode plus sim auto mode is completely not interesting. In this month i was interested with flash event and one day GW was interesting. Thats all. QL and new background is nothing. There is no interesting content to play. AND AGAIN CRUSH. But it is mobile and only small game, what to expect. Waiting for challange to simm? This is an absurd and joke....amazing game.......
  • Derkus
    38 posts Member
    3/5 are draw due to lag ...(*)
    Please devs can you make the game the way it was 3 weeks ago ?
    Since the power update it became impossible to do a single fleet battle or even challenge (except sim), I know ships were a bit laggy before but not like that, I can't land a single hit (a bit worried about new game mode).

I can't be really competitive either in arena(*) but I can keep a decent spot (-50 places)

I also wanted to 3* my last Hard Light Side battles but I can't because I'm stuck on 9B at 2/3 (3* 9A before update so idk if I still can).

A word would be really appreciate, just to tell us what's going on or any infos.

iPhone 4 / iOS 9.3.5
  • Another battle ... another crash
  • Derkus wrote: »
    Since the power update it became impossible to do a single fleet battle or even challenge (except sim), I know ships were a bit laggy before but not like that, I can't land a single hit (a bit worried about new game mode).

I can't be really competitive either in arena(*) but I can keep a decent spot (-50 places)

I also wanted to 3* my last Hard Light Side battles but I can't because I'm stuck on 9B at 2/3 (3* 9A before update so idk if I still can).

A word would be really appreciate, just to tell us what's going on or any infos.

Word!! I want the game back the way it was 3 weeks ago myself. Before then I couldn't do the ship portion of the game cause it would crash. I really didn't care cause I hate ships anyways..but now on my iPad I can't do arena, can't raid, can't GWs...I can't even sim tickets on Darkside/Lightside battles before I crash. I literally have to play on a iPhone 6 with a little screen to play this game that I once was able to play on my iPad 2.

I would love to know when/if they are fixing this or if this is just how the game content is gonna be from now on. Cause if so...then I'm sure I'll crash on territory battles as well.
  • Derkus wrote: »

Word!! I want the game back the way it was 3 weeks ago myself. Before then I couldn't do the ship portion of the game cause it would crash. I really didn't care cause I hate ships anyways..but now on my iPad I can't do arena, can't raid, can't GWs...I can't even sim tickets on Darkside/Lightside battles before I crash. I literally have to play on a iPhone 6 with a little screen to play this game that I once was able to play on my iPad 2.

I would love to know when/if they are fixing this or if this is just how the game content is gonna be from now on. Cause if so...then I'm sure I'll crash on territory battles as well.

Im afraid that most of us will, and even more will join us crashing.
  • Ch0w
    61 posts Member
    **** crashing game !
  • Since the game started crashing I had to resort to playing on my daughters iPhone 6.

As of today now the iPhone 6 started crashing. Once right before I was about to beat the team I was facing in ship battles, second when I entered node 7 of Galatic wars. I've never crashed on iPhone 6 before. Now all of a sudden I'm starting to crash on literally the only device I have left to play on is game.

And don't tell me iPhone 6 is a low spec device like my iPad 2 either.

You devs put out this update..it's time for you devs to fix this. There was never a red screen upon logging into the game. Now there is. There was never any crashing when playing this game. Now there is. Friday makes a full month since the 6/30 update. People are complaining about it and all we hear is crickets.
  • Still not fixed....

using Ipad with latest updates...

Ships Battles are impossible. I have dropped from being competitive for #1 at payout to rank 150 because I have not finished a battle in a month.

GW requires restart every 4th battle. If I do not restart before doing Arena I risk the game crashing.

Raids now lagging as well. Did not place in pit raid because game crashed on phase 4...

The only thing that still seems to work well are events.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
    Given that events still seem to work well for me, and looking at the load times for each screen, I wonder if it is loading my roster that is eating up so much memory. For events only a subset of my roster is loaded. Raids seem to have gotten progressively worst for me as I add more 7 star chars.

Add an ignore tab for characters. Ignored characters/ships cannot been seen(loaded) in squad selection screens (Raids/Arena/Ships/GW) . Can still have ignored characters in saved squads.
  • Since the game started crashing I had to resort to playing on my daughters iPhone 6.

As of today now the iPhone 6 started crashing. Once right before I was about to beat the team I was facing in ship battles, second when I entered node 7 of Galatic wars. I've never crashed on iPhone 6 before. Now all of a sudden I'm starting to crash on literally the only device I have left to play on is game.

And don't tell me iPhone 6 is a low spec device like my iPad 2 either.

You devs put out this update..it's time for you devs to fix this. There was never a red screen upon logging into the game. Now there is. There was never any crashing when playing this game. Now there is. Friday makes a full month since the 6/30 update. People are complaining about it and all we hear is crickets.

For me, The only thing lightens the game a bit, when I shut down my phone and take the battery out for a couple minutes.
    It helped with having only the usual amount of crash (now it doesnt crash during marquee events at least, and i can also complete one fleet battle/day and two arena/day)
    For iPhone, i think there is also a way to do a hard shutdown, when the ram completely resets.
    It is still not 100% crashproof, (not even 50%), but i can play 30minutes without crash, if i am really careful.
  • Vice_torn wrote: »
    Still not fixed....

Ships Battles are impossible. I have dropped from being competitive for #1 at payout to rank 150 because I have not finished a battle in a month.

GW requires restart every 4th battle. If I do not restart before doing Arena I risk the game crashing.

Raids now lagging as well. Did not place in pit raid because game crashed on phase 4...

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
    Given that events still seem to work well for me, and looking at the load times for each screen, I wonder if it is loading my roster that is eating up so much memory. For events only a subset of my roster is loaded. Raids seem to have gotten progressively worst for me as I add more 7 star chars.

Add an ignore tab for characters. Ignored characters/ships cannot been seen(loaded) in squad selection screens (Raids/Arena/Ships/GW) . Can still have ignored characters in saved squads.

Yeah, i suspect the same, that all the loaded in toons remain in the ram, and cause the issue.
    It is clearly bad ram management, which causes the crash, so I think it would be a safe bet if the devs take a look into it.

oh and +1 for the solution idea, i really like it
  • darthnshift
    12 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    They've been "aware of the crashes" and "working on fixes" (https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1181925/#Comment_1181925) for months now (just have some patience, search for "ship crashes" in the bugs section, and you'll see that this has been here since ships were [badly] introduced).

They know very well that this is because the game is loading too many complex resources at once, and that it doesn't release many of those resources. And they don't care. The "show pilot's face on the corner" thing was just a big f-u to those of us who don't change tablets every 6 months to keep up with the latest and greatest in tech specs.
    The most recent generalised wave of crashes is just because they increased the game's resource usage even more (or did you think that the more detailed characters and ships appearing at the same time as the crashes was just a coincidence?).

What I don't understand is this:
    - Why not make ships into its own game? In mobile games (and environments), smaller and simpler is often better...
    - Why not reduce the complexity of the models currently in the game? It's not like we're going to notice much of a difference in a 10" screen (or smaller, if you're on a phone)

I fear for the future, and for what new bugs and crashes Territory Battles will bring... :-\

P.S.: When I say months, I'm not exaggerating. This kind of crashes has been here since ships. But, at the time, it only afflicted a "small" percentage of the player base (myself included). The only difference now is that the models used are even more detailed, and a greater percentage of the player base complaining.

Thank you.

Love how I could only manage 7.5K damage in my guild's HAAT because my P2, P3, and P4 team crashes, and the development team does not give a rat's behind about quality software development.

Still not fixed....

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Yeah, i suspect the same, that all the loaded in toons remain in the ram, and cause the issue.
    It is clearly bad ram management, which causes the crash, so I think it would be a safe bet if the devs take a look into it.

Yeah it seems like a load and RAM problem to me too. Reason I say this is because I play on 2 accounts. My main account has 92-7* characters all unlocked and about 800 mods. My second account has I think 40-7* characters and about 300 mods. Both account have a separate iPad 2 device that I play for each. Now both accounts crash but my main account with more stuff unlocked, hoarded, an progressed farther, crashes a whole lot more than my second account that is 100% f2p. And my iPhone I play on has a red screen that appears before the games logo comes on.

Whatever it is..it started after I "had" to update the latest game update which was on 6/30 last month.

I don't know if the devs don't know what they are doing but almost 4 weeks of crashing is unacceptable and I've never had this happen to me on any other game I've played. It's almost as if the devs don't care, don't know how to fix it or maybe they don't have the man power to work on content and bugs at the same time. Definitely bad for business in my eyes. Until this is resolved I refuse to spend another dime on this game. This crashing bug that has gone on for almost a month now and even more so...the lack of communication has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Like how hard is it to respond to us and assure us that it is being worked on? And I'm not just meaning a "we know this is a problem, please be patient". I want to know "how much longer" and "when" or a ballpark figure as to when they expect to have this issue solved.

It's the not knowing and the lack of communication that's really starting to tick me off. Game use to work fine. They released their update now it doesn't. So I switched to an iPhone. A (newer) device. Now on a newer device I'm noticing longer loading screens and crashes.

I'm to the point of just saying to heck with it and moving on to something else. Last thing I need in my life is more aggravation because of a "mobile game"!
  • Not sure if anyone else experiences crashing like this, but when I do crash I double click them home button on my iPad to clear off the swgoh crashed screen and it always shows a screen from earlier that day or the day before. For instance right now I'm rank 3. Just tried to enter p3 of the HAAT raid and I crashed. When I double clicked the home button to remove the crash game screen and reopen the app...this is the screen it showed me at rank 20...something I was at 8 hours ago. It's just very weird. This didn't start happenning until the 6/30 update almost 4 weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/a/7Jakc
  • Not sure if anyone else experiences crashing like this, but when I do crash I double click them home button on my iPad to clear off the swgoh crashed screen and it always shows a screen from earlier that day or the day before. For instance right now I'm rank 3. Just tried to enter p3 of the HAAT raid and I crashed. When I double clicked the home button to remove the crash game screen and reopen the app...this is the screen it showed me at rank 20...something I was at 8 hours ago. It's just very weird. This didn't start happenning until the 6/30 update almost 4 weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/a/7Jakc

I play on android, but have similar issue.
    If I click on the app history button, or home button, then click back to SWGoH, the game crashes and restarts.
    It works properly only if there was a loading screen in-game at the time of clicking.
    Really odd.
    And again it is since the ships came out.
    As far as i remember, there was an issue with that update, that the devs forgot to notify the players that the Nov 2016 patch wont support devices with 1gb RAM any longer.
    I have 2gb ram, so theorically I am not affected, but practically the game keep crashing ever since.

Also, check this ancient comment.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/114888#Comment_114888
    This shows what is happening now is not new.
    I fear the worst, that they will end to support 2gb RAM devices with the next bigger update.
  • Ravifer
    52 posts Member
    What is the point on farming ships when i havent been able to complete a ship battle in weeks?
  • Derkus
    38 posts Member
    Ravifer wrote: »
    What is the point on farming ships when i havent been able to complete a ship battle in weeks?

+1, and new update is coming ... maybe a fix in there ?
    iPhone 4 / iOS 9.3.5
  • I'm sure the new update is delayed because they're fixing the crash issues from a month ago. Right?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
    Still not fixed....

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Another Option for limiting the memory used would be to have an option to only display favorites in ship/char selection screens. Right now I only use favorites to keep track of which chars I am upgrading...
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    Still not fixed....

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Another Option for limiting the memory used would be to have an option to only display favorites in ship/char selection screens. Right now I only use favorites to keep track of which chars I am upgrading...

Same here. Now farming seps, so my favorites list is almost the same as the seps filter...
    Another option is to see only builded squads, and there would be anothet place for building squads. Currently I feel the squad building system is very underused, due to the fact that it is a bit complicated and doesnt worth the time spent on for players with low developed roosers.
    It is only good for players with 50+ g11 maxed toons.
  • So, did the last update fixed those crashes, lags etc?
  • RogiWan wrote: »
    So, did the last update fixed those crashes, lags etc?

Not at all.
    We hope, but i start being pessimistic about it and think, there is a high chance to stop supporting 2gb RAM devices instead fixing the issue.

Not at all.
    We hope, but i start being pessimistic about it and think, there is a high chance to stop supporting 2gb RAM devices instead fixing the issue.

I have an Ipad Air (looks like 1 GB RAM DDR3 according to the specs). But it ran fine before and i believe it is a programming issue.

• Derkus
    38 posts Member
    *Chance to just leave the game ... :p
    iPhone 4 / iOS 9.3.5
    RogiWan wrote: »

Not at all.

I have an Ipad Air (looks like 1 GB RAM DDR3 according to the specs). But it ran fine before and i believe it is a programming issue.

Apple is a different case.
    For Android it is now a requirement to have more than 1gb RAM.
    However, on apple devices, the issue is with the older devices like iPhone 6 and older versions of iPad.
  • I am currently trying to finish the Wicket Event and on Tier IV, I will get through the first 2 stages and the screen will come up saying, "Progress 3/4" and the game freezes. The only way to get out of it is to kill the app on my iPhone and restart it, but I have lost my progress and if I try to complete the event again, the same thing happens. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • xBodhix wrote: »
    I am currently trying to finish the Wicket Event and on Tier IV, I will get through the first 2 stages and the screen will come up saying, "Progress 3/4" and the game freezes. The only way to get out of it is to kill the app on my iPhone and restart it, but I have lost my progress and if I try to complete the event again, the same thing happens. Has this happened to anyone else?

Its happened to me on Palpoo event. What I did I hard restarted my phone (took out battery as well)
    On iPhone i think if you press one other button with the power button (i dont know wich exactly) you can get the same result.
    The phone RAM resets and return to the normal crash schedule (only fleet crash)
    It remains good for couple days, then you need to do it over again.