The empire bust: Will we see a full empire team in the meta report before Luke will drop?

Will we ever see a full empire team at all? Since the empire pass came and went, and the only results are one great empire toon that almost nobody uses with empire and the resurgence of Wiggs team, Resistance teams and jedi teams with the addition of R2 and FAT. I mean if not even now then when?
At the moment the cutoff number is 8. That's right, there isn't a single empire team used by more than 9 people that can finish first.
The close future is clear: Luke then EP 8 will air so Resistance and FO will be priorities.
So why the hate for the second most important and the second largest faction in the game?

Replies

• AlexTheG
    215 posts Member
    Empire teams can be good with Thrawn though?
  • Empire dominant teams are probably meta now. They just don't get used as much because it takes good mods + some thought. In addition, a lot of other teams can still climb to 1 so most don't bother changing.

There are very few teams that run all 5 the same faction given most of the best toons don't require synergy.
  • Its been shown that Imperial Trooper teams are viable for a lot, same with Thrawn Empire teams and Zader teams + Thrawn.

Even theyre all not top 10 Arena viable theyre still useful in GW, raids and Empire events.

There is a lot of factions theyre trying to do, just a matter of time.
    518 posts Member
    My "non meta" squad is finishing between 30 and 20 every day and is composed of Thrawn(L), zVeers, DT, Shore and Storm. Clearly that's meta in a younger shard composed by zMaul, Rex, Wiggs, Resistance and zDN.
  • It depends on how you count. You could argue that there is not a single Jedi squad in the meta report because they all use R2D2. I would say they still are Jedi squads. Same for empire.

If you are searching for empire squads without Nihilus (and GK), good luck.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    There is no meta faction. The meta teams are a mix of the best in game toons. GK, Chaze, Thrawn, R2, all those toons are versatile and do not need synergy. I am running a full Empire and I stand in the top 30, top 20 today. Just need gr 11 on ShT and some better mods and for sure I could do more.
    My team also beats the triple cleanse, zMaul and some other good teams.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Full galactic republic works :)
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Just switched to a DS team after running jedis for a while, and it seems rather strong. It's not full empire, but Vader, Thrawn, Shore, Boba, Nilly are destroying all the rex leads so far.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    full faction sucks, no matter what faction.
    I do consider the empire pass a success.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I've always considered faction teams to be three or more of a certain faction with some sort of synergy built around those faction teams. If you saw a zeta Finn team with Poe, R2, kenobi, and B2 I'd still consider that a resistance team right, cause the entire team is built around the resistance faction. I don't consider that any different than if I saw a thrawn lead, deathtrooper, shoretrooper, kenobi, and nihilus (aka the fifth most used team at #1)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    leef wrote: »
    full faction sucks, no matter what faction.
    I do consider the empire pass a success.

I'm even willing to say that empire is the best faction ingame currently.
    - steamroll GW obviously
    - awesome in the rancor raid (12min. on auto orso and i don't have the best mods)
    - awesome in the AAT raid. Granted, you have to mix and match a bit, but the empire characters are key for big scores.
    - Awesome in arena. Again, you have to mix and match if you want the best performing team, but they are pretty solid if used as a full faction.
    - (edit) Somewhat awesome in the fleet arena. I'm not really into fleet arena, but tarkin's capital ship seems rather good, just like the TIE's (imperial, advanced and reaper).
    Post edited by leef on
  • Full rebel factions are succesful: Wiggs Chaze R2 is the third most used team in the meta report.
    Full jedi factions, full sith factions or full Resistance factions are also succesful.
    Teams with 4 toons of one faction + one of the OP toons like DN or GK are maybe even more prelevalent.
    The best faction in the game doesn't have any full squads or even a 4 toons team. The vast majority of high ranked players (and probably the lower ranked, we just don't have data) are only using Thrawn or not using an empire toon at all.
    If tomorrow all the empire toons besides Thrawn and the ones used in sith teams ( Vader and EP) would dissapear the top of the arenas would be unchanged. Empire is a nonfactor in arena, was a nonfactor and I bet it will continue being a nonfactor for a long time.
  • Drazz127
    770 posts Member
    There's a lot of different options for empire, so it may be difficult for just one team to emerge. With Jedi for example there aren't many options. You're running zqgj, GK, R2D2, and 2 of Yoda, JKA, Ezra.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Full rebel factions are succesful: Wiggs Chaze R2 is the third most used team in the meta report.
    Full jedi factions, full sith factions or full Resistance factions are also succesful.
    Teams with 4 toons of one faction + one of the OP toons like DN or GK are maybe even more prelevalent.
    The best faction in the game doesn't have any full squads or even a 4 toons team. The vast majority of high ranked players (and probably the lower ranked, we just don't have data) are only using Thrawn or not using an empire toon at all.
    If tomorrow all the empire toons besides Thrawn and the ones used in sith teams ( Vader and EP) would dissapear the top of the arenas would be unchanged. Empire is a nonfactor in arena, was a nonfactor and I bet it will continue being a nonfactor for a long time.

Maybe the Wedge, biggs, r2 and chaze squad is the 4th most used rank 1 squad, but more rank 1 players use deathtrooper and/or shore than there are rank 1 players using wedge So yea..
    If you remove rebels besides their 3 most used characters (baze, chirrut and r2) the top of the arena would be just as unchanged. With death trooper and shore trooper empire has 5(!) characters amongst the 15 most used characters used by rank 1 players. Calling empire a non factor is just silly.
    empire is awesome, not sure why you keep saying they suck when they clearly don't.
  • Full rebel factions are succesful: Wiggs Chaze R2 is the third most used team in the meta report.

You can run a full empire team and take top 5 on almost any server. You don't see a lot of people using them because it's a very Whaley oriented faction, with a lot of their key linchpins locked behind a single hard node. You're making the assumption that because people don't use them that they're bad (or at least not as good as you like). Empire teams are very good, but players have to manage their resources. I'd be willing to bet that most of wiggs resurgence you mentioned is coming from players who had those at gear 11 seven months ago
  • "empire is awesome, not sure why you keep saying they suck when they clearly don't"
    Because after the pass, at their peak, not a single person is using empire toons in my shard besides Thrawn or Zader and Ep with sith. More than 30 of those players use rebels but i do have 1 FO team and 2 Resistance ones. Because only a few players are using them in 3 out of 4 guilds in our Alliance, and they use the mix with GK and DN. Because that was it for empire, 6 months of hype and hope, all for close to nothing (in arena)

You can run a full empire team and take top 5 on almost any server. You don't see a lot of people using them because it's a very Whaley oriented faction, with a lot of their key linchpins locked behind a single hard node. You're making the assumption that because people don't use them that they're bad (or at least not as good as you like). Empire teams are very good, but players have to manage their resources. I'd be willing to bet that most of wiggs resurgence you mentioned is coming from players who had those at gear 11 seven months ago

Availability is a key attribute, if not the most important one. No player that doesn't see the field will be considered great no matter how talented he is.
    Not good or not good enough for it's requirements are the same thing at the end.
  • The Empire pass is still relatively new (at least for non whales) and I'm sure the majority of the player base didn't have all the empire toons. Mainly just Vader, EP & RG. It's a grind to get so many toons you don't have leveled, geared and modded (again if you're not a whale) it's much easier to plug n play toons you already have instead of having to farming 3-5 new toons from scratch. Given some more time for the player base to farm up imperials and you'll probably see more empire squads.
  • The Empire pass is still relatively new (at least for non whales) and I'm sure the majority of the player base didn't have all the empire toons. Mainly just Vader, EP & RG. It's a grind to get so many toons you don't have leveled, geared and modded (again if you're not a whale) it's much easier to plug n play toons you already have instead of having to farming 3-5 new toons from scratch. Given some more time for the player base to farm up imperials and you'll probably see more empire squads.
    Given some more time Luke will drop, and maybe some other rebels too, they do pop up like mushrooms after rain, and the rebel/multiple cleanse metas will be even stronger. The Empire will never get the chance to be META.

• hard to look at GG for usage and determine how good something is as there are so many factors in play

Look at the team below - many would argue this is the best team comp in the game on D right now, IF it's modded well...but just 11 are using it. 1. Requires zeta on FOST 2. Requires some very good mods 3. Requires GK and GAT - two 'unlock' heroes that a good number of players don't have along with FOST - who's a hard to farm character that many also don't have.

Rex · First Order Stormtrooper · GK · Darth Nihilus · Grand Admiral Thrawn 11 3%

Empire is the best faction in the game, I agree with @leef

HAAT: Full empire team can solo p3 - no one else can do that
    Full empire team can get 5 million in P4 - strong #
    Vader-led team can get you 5-6 million in P2

Rancor - solo is a joke with Empire

PVE / GW - dominating with zVeers / Vader / zThrawn, etc.

Arena they also feature many elite characters: Thrawn, Vader, Tarkin, Shore, DT, DK to name a few

Arena I've been running the same zVeers / zzThrawn team for weeks now - it has DN in it - but I'm sure I could also put Tarkin in there as my 5th and get wins. Or possibly Vader / EP. The problem with Empire is they almost have too many good options.
  • I think the best team in the game may be thrawn lead with DT, shore, Nihilus, and krennic. At least there's an argument for it. I know Nihilus isn't empire but 4/5 are, I know if I had all those toons starred and geared I'd use them.