Galactic War Made Easy

My first post in this forum, I thought I would share a few things I've learnt in my struggles with the Galactic War. The last week or so I've been unable to complete GW but the last 2 days have been fairly simple.

Unfortunately this method will take more time than usual as it requires retreating from the tougher fights.

The first thing to understand is fights in GW are NOT random. Every battle follows a set script that can be manipulated to your advantage.
For example.
I start a battle, I attack first with Darth Sidious and use his single target attack on an enemy Luminara. I hit her for 2700 damage. The enemy Darth Sidious is next up and uses his single target attack hitting my Luminara, he crits for 3800 damage. I now retreat and start the battle over. In this instance my Sid will ALWAYS go first, if I attack his Luminara it will ALWAYS hit for 2700 damage and his Sid will ALWAYS retaliate by hitting my Luminara for 3800 damage. No matter how many times I retreat and start over, this will happen every time so long as I hit the enemy Luminara first. This is what I mean by fights following a script.

This script applies for the entire fight, so if you do the entire fight, then retreat before the final blow, and do everything the same again the whole fight will remain the same. All attacks and all damage numbers will remain the same so long as you dont change the order of your attacks.

Once you understand this you can begin to manipulate the fights to your advantage.

So, say I retreat and start over again, this time I go first and attack his Sid instead of Lumi, the script changes and his retaliation may well be an AOE.

A common occurrence in my experience is when I fight a team that has Dooku in it, he will go first and attack one of my Jedi, this often leaves 2 of my characters stunned for the first round of attacks which is not an Ideal start. There is a simple way to alter this when it happens. Retreat out, then when you get to your squad selection switch out the Jedi that was attacked with a non Jedi character, so swap Luminara with Darth Sidious. No need to alter your squad, just their position in the roster. When you start the battle again Dooku will attack the same location, now hitting Sid instead of Luminara and you will most likely take less damage and avoid the stun. This is another way the script can be manipulated.

Switching out characters with someone off your bench will also alter the script, giving even more opportunities to gain the advantage.

The last way to alter the script to your advantage is to switch up who you attack, yesterday I came up against a team with Rey in it. I attacked her first and she retaliated by killing Qui-Gon Jin in one hit, 8k damage (My QGJ is only 4* with around 7k HP). I retreated and attacked Darth Sidious first instead, Then Rey attacked someone else for around 4k damage allowing me to kill her before her second attack.

If you have the time and patience to retreat out and change how you approach the fight you will be able to find a way to win pretty much every time without losing anyone. Every time something goes wrong start again and try a different approach.

Here is the team I use, currently lvl 65 all with gear lvl 8:

6* Phasma (Leader)
4*Qui-Gon Jin
7* Darth Sidious
6* Jedi Consular
7* Luminara Unduli

I only have 5* Daka, 5* Talia and 4* Vader as back up but I get through every fight with everyone alive so dont really need them.

Replies

• Me personally Im ready to throw my phone at the wall. For some reason, the highest teams above me I ever fought were stronger, But I always managed by mixing it up and trying different combinations. It was challenging sometimes, maybe a little too easy sometimes. So buffing the experience I can understand why they did it.

But the disparity Ive encountered in the last two is frustrating in the extreme. I want to gut punch whoever decided my team of maxmium lvl 62s should fight level 68s MID WAR, and now again level 69s at the end. The disparity in stars, gear are ridiculous, but that you apparently are no longer using level as well as some kind of measuring stick goes beyond logic. Having to fight people 2 levels above you, may have also had them at extra gear and stars, but the disparity was never so great I had to throw TWO back up teams as sacrifices to weaken the current challenge just to move on. ANd even then I still lost a member of my star team.

I shouldnt have to restart the game a million times to get it right. I shouldnt have to sacrifice loads of 2nd tier characters (or invest in making more than I already have) because of one god **** encounter in one mode of ONE GAME. Whatever happened to games you play on the shitter or during smoke breaks at work?
  • I agree with you. At level 63 I started to encounter teams that were level 70, all 7*s, fully geared. I stood no chance. Like you I threw away my weaker characters just to get past that one battle then didn't have enough left to beat the following battle.

This is where the above strategy came from, I began to retreat to try again when the **** hit the fan. Which is when I noticed that these fights aren't random. It becomes like a code breaker puzzle. You try a combination that fails, the next combination might get you further into a fight before things go wrong, remember what works and what doesn't until you get it right and survive the fight with all characters alive and green in Hp.

You're right it shouldn't be this difficult, where we have to keep doing things over and over. But that was the situation I found myself in and so I thought I would share how I solved the problem.

The majority of fights I beat first time or need maybe 1 or 2 retreats. It's only 1 or 2 fights per GW that require more time spent on them.
  • I feel your pain exactly. Before the February 11 update, I completed Galactic Challenge everyday, sometimes too easily. Since then I have not been able to beat it.......UNTIL TODAY. I agree that whatever the formula is for calculating the strength of your opponents is whacked now. It's ridiculous how strong they are, even the "easy" battles (which doesn't allow me any turns to reset all of my healers).

However, I was able to finish Galactic War today for the first time since the "OP" update last week. Here's how I did it. For the very toughest opponents, I now send in my suicide squads. I have about 20 toons that are Level 1 that I've never improved. I will put 5 of them in to take the initial barrage from the OP opponent. Of course all of them croak with 1 shot each. But that seems to use up the quick first turns of toons like Sid and some of the special attacks (they are now on cool down & any buffs disappear once they kill off my suicide squad and I try again with my A-Team). I then use the "groundhog day" approach outlined above. It seems to take less retreats to find a winning script with this approach.

This is probably common knowledge for most forum folks - I'm new to the forums. And I could be wrong about all of this. I haven't tested it.

And by the way, I was ready to quit the game yesterday after 3 days of not even getting halfway through GW. I was very frustrated with the radical change (would have been better if it was less severe on the early battles). However the upside for me is that the ridiculousness of the change snapped me out of my spending spree. I was spending too much money (and time) on this. The frustration sobered me up and I took a step back and reassessed the fairness/challenge/balance of all of this. I saw the severity of change for what it was - another way to get me to spend money. That smacked me in the face for what it was and I'm now F2P from here on out. In a way, I'm thankful CG/EA overplayed their hand, even if it was accidental.
  • I'm on a streak right now.. I think because I'm streaming it... just kidding but last week when I was lvl 60 I encountered lvl 64 guys full gear... and had no chance.. now it's quite easy... I have extra tookens.. cuz I can't buy Luminara that much
    Follow on twitter, Subscribe to my channel , 10$ free giveaway here
  • I like the lvl 1 suicide squad idea. I hadn't considered using my unwanted toons that way. Could be very useful in quite a few situations. Make Leia waste her stealth, get rid of vaders aoe dot and old bens aoe debuffs. All those 1 hit kill ally assist abilities gone, and poggles team buff useless.

This would really shorten the amount of time taken to beat GW. I'll try it tomorrow, hope it works out.
  • Another one-time tactic that can be effective on a particularly hard battle is to put low-level Obi Wan-Kenobi (Old Ben) in with 4 starters. I've kept him a low level so he dies easily but powered up his "If you strike me down" ability so he does his massive buff thing as a sacrificial lamb. You have to level him up to some degree to unlock some of the abilities.

The AI is smart enough not to target him first because of this special ability but usually the enemy's AoE attacks kill him off early enough to be a significant factor in that one battle.
  • Another one-time tactic that can be effective on a particularly hard battle is to put low-level Obi Wan-Kenobi (Old Ben) in with 4 starters. I've kept him a low level so he dies easily but powered up his "If you strike me down" ability so he does his massive buff thing as a sacrificial lamb. You have to level him up to some degree to unlock some of the abilities.

The AI is smart enough not to target him first because of this special ability but usually the enemy's AoE attacks kill him off early enough to be a significant factor in that one battle.

Nice.. but I don't have Ben :(
    Follow on twitter, Subscribe to my channel , 10$ free giveaway here
  • dude galactic war has become so bogus... I just hit node 4 and it a team of all 5 lvl 69 toons all 7* all gear 8... Lumi, Sid, JC, phasma, and maul. I'm a lvl 60 with the same team all at lvl 60 except I have Daka instead of phasma. My lumi and Sid are7* JC 6* Daka 5* maul 4* and all gear 7. Seriously maul does his AoE and my lumi, maul, JC all die instantly and Daka is left in the red. Sid only survives cud he gains health from my whole team dying in one hit. This is redicilous. If you're f2p you shouldn't even face whales in GW, arena is whatever but galactic war should have some form of pattern and limits. It should be hard but never impossible for your level. Like if you're a 60 like me the formula should be like 7 below 5 above for the 12 fights and be based off of players overall lvl instead of the toons levels.
    Example would be
    Node 1 lvl 53
    Node 2 lvl 54
    Node 3 lvl 55
    Node 4 lvl 56
    Node 5 lvl 57
    Node 6 lvl 58
    Node 7 lvl 59
    Node 8 lvl 61
    Node 9 lvl 62
    Node 10 lvl 63
    Node 11 lvl 64
    Node 12 lvl 65

And once you hit max level nodes 8-12 will all be 70/max.
    This way you know better what to expect but it would still be a gradual climb to a challenge.
  • Yea the challenge became messed up. It can be beat though. Try using a low level suicide squad as suggested above to get maul to waste his aoe then take him out with your A team. That kind of level difference gets frustrating with all the dodges going on, but trial and error using retreat can fix that. You'll get there eventually if you persist.

Just try to push through, I hit level 66 today and the GW was so much easier I think I only needed to retreat 3 times throughout. Gonna be a cake walk by the time we hit level 70.
  • I'm level 70 (as of yesterday) and it's no cakewalk. I'm facing teams at level 70, all 7-stars, by the 4th or 5th battle. Occasionally, I get level 65, 1 or 2 toons at 7-stars with the rest being at 6-stars. Those battles are very winnable but they do not give you any relief so you can recharge healers or health on the other toons.

I'm trying to get a few more of my 5-star level-1 toons up to level 70 and geared up so I have more depth and can survive the war of attrition. I didn't finish GW again yesterday but had it down to 3 toons on the enemy team in the last battle before I ran out of my own toons. It was frustrating but reasonable. It should be a challenge.

My real frustration with this game now is that GW war changed so dramatically in one day, there's really no progression of difficulty now, and I suspect other players are not having the same challenge. That last point of inconsistency is my biggest complaint and why I went from P2P to F2P. It's not worth paying to play if it's not a level playing field, knowing other players are getting the rewards of completing GW with an easier challenge.
  • 55, 51, 58, 62, 68 was the level of my first 5 battles today. All pretty easy. After that it was 69 and 70 and I struggled. Made it through with my A team in tact still. Burnt through 20 of my other toons though using your suggestion of suicide squads. They aren't a huge help but they did enough to get me through alive. The last 2 battles in particular were extremely difficult, must have taken me half an hour just to complete those 2. I think another 7 star healer and another 7 star high dps and I'll have enough to get through without too much trouble.
  • I feel your pain exactly. Before the February 11 update, I completed Galactic Challenge everyday, sometimes too easily. Since then I have not been able to beat it.......UNTIL TODAY. I agree that whatever the formula is for calculating the strength of your opponents is whacked now. It's ridiculous how strong they are, even the "easy" battles (which doesn't allow me any turns to reset all of my healers).

However, I was able to finish Galactic War today for the first time since the "OP" update last week. Here's how I did it. For the very toughest opponents, I now send in my suicide squads. I have about 20 toons that are Level 1 that I've never improved. I will put 5 of them in to take the initial barrage from the OP opponent. Of course all of them croak with 1 shot each. But that seems to use up the quick first turns of toons like Sid and some of the special attacks (they are now on cool down & any buffs disappear once they kill off my suicide squad and I try again with my A-Team). I then use the "groundhog day" approach outlined above. It seems to take less retreats to find a winning script with this approach.

This is probably common knowledge for most forum folks - I'm new to the forums. And I could be wrong about all of this. I haven't tested it.

And by the way, I was ready to quit the game yesterday after 3 days of not even getting halfway through GW. I was very frustrated with the radical change (would have been better if it was less severe on the early battles). However the upside for me is that the ridiculousness of the change snapped me out of my spending spree. I was spending too much money (and time) on this. The frustration sobered me up and I took a step back and reassessed the fairness/challenge/balance of all of this. I saw the severity of change for what it was - another way to get me to spend money. That smacked me in the face for what it was and I'm now F2P from here on out. In a way, I'm thankful CG/EA overplayed their hand, even if it was accidental.

I'm feeling the same way, this game can be a blinding addiction. I've pulled my wallet out of the fire after the last update.
    Use the force Luke.... and get rid of that stupid musket.
  • Ladies and gents...this game is designed to extract money from its players plain and simple. I have been p2p and I am embarrassed of the money I've spent because we are all being duped unless you are f2p and honestly I have no idea how you compete if you are f2p. I would be curious to see the code written behind this game and wonder how much of it is borrowed from the AI built into Vegas style games. It's really quite clever EA but don't let that code leak or you might be looking at a class action lawsuit. Just sayin...
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    @Obscuto good write up. I noticed that they took out the targeting change causing a change in the RNG with the last update and it is all scripted now. I use suicide squad all the time first send in 3 to burn dooku lightningd and sid (I think every team I face has dooku and sid) and then if they have poogle send in another 3 to burn that off. I have been working on and now have 3 b teams that I also use. Sometimes they make it all the way thru.
    Post edited by scuba on