Too bad it can't be tiers like usual.

Replies

• Winchester wrote: »
    I currently have 4 Characters not unlocked:

URoRRuR'R'R
    Hoth Rebel Solder
    Lobot
    Old Ben.

I guess I'm not loyal enough, or am bad at the game.

No complaint, though, I finish top of Arena daily, so I have the crystals, but I do feel for the newer players. Getting all these guys is gotta be painful!

So you unlocked CUP, M.E., Nightsister Initiate. Acolyte, JKG, and other garbage toons before Old Ben. Got it.

Lol. Logic like that doesn't deserve a character like Luke. Long-time player or not.

URoRRuR'R'R
    Hoth Rebel Solder
    Lobot
    Old Ben.

No complaint, though, I finish top of Arena daily, so I have the crystals, but I do feel for the newer players. Getting all these guys is gotta be painful!

So you unlocked CUP, M.E., Nightsister Initiate. Acolyte, JKG, and other garbage toons before Old Ben. Got it.

Cuz those were available via bronzium...guess which one is not!
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    It is the way for devs to make this event "super hard"..just screws the non whales

No. For the first time in this game's history the developers are rewarding long-time loyal fans/players. They're not "screwing" the non whales.

Long time player.
    I'm not being rewarded.

Don't speak in absolutes on behalf of everybody.

Long time player but you don't have Old Ben. Dodge meta was around March/April of 2016. Almost half a year after the game came out. I guess I don't need to tell you where you went wrong.

Define long time player.
    Why do I need to have the meta, even if I was around for it?
    Internet wars is where I went wrong.

• Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Everyone knows what they need to work on now. There's no crying in SWGOH.

Padme.jpg

• Winchester
    39 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Winchester wrote: »

URoRRuR'R'R
    Hoth Rebel Solder
    Lobot
    Old Ben.

CUP, M.E., Nightsister Acolyte, JKG shards come from some place other than Cantina Energy, where all the best characters are. In fact, all of those dudes (except Mob Enforcer) are 7* because I finish GW every day and do well in Arena.

So yeah.
  • Been playing since launch and don't have old Ben.

Been playing as long as you and I'm asking this only because I'm curious - did you not see him being used effectively by other players? Why didn't you get him? He was actually good.
  • Been playing since launch and don't have old Ben.

Been playing as long as you and I'm asking this only because I'm curious - did you not see him being used effectively by other players? Why didn't you get him? He was actually good.

He wasn't that good nor was he necessary. And besides that why should we have to invest in a character just because other people use him?
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    slugbahr wrote: »
    It is the way for devs to make this event "super hard"..just screws the non whales

No. For the first time in this game's history the developers are rewarding long-time loyal fans/players. They're not "screwing" the non whales.

Long time player.
    I'm not being rewarded.

Long time player but you don't have Old Ben. Dodge meta was around March/April of 2016. Almost half a year after the game came out. I guess I don't need to tell you where you went wrong.

Define long time player.
    Why do I need to have the meta, even if I was around for it?
    Internet wars is where I went wrong.

I have played this game since Nov of 2015 or launch and I don't have old Ben or Leia never used rebels and old Ben was useless.
  • Uklem
    46 posts Member
    Riffinator wrote: »

Here since launch and I haven't even bothered to look at old Ben till now just like 85% of the players base

what about the old ben dodge meta? Or does that not count cause YOU didnt partake in that.

When people bring this up I have to wonder if they're really the "veterans" they say they are. The "Old Ben dodge" meta is a myth. It was nowhere near as wide spread as Luminara or Dooku. The LONGEST period of time Ben was "meta" was back in 2015, early 2016 when he was chromium only. There is no reason for non-whales to have a 7* Ben. I've been playing since launch day and I don't have Ben.

And that's besides the point. How does a casual player having a 5 or 6* Luke ruin the reward of a "veteran" having a 7* one? What a childish frame of mind. This game reduces grown adults to jealous children. I don't care about the character requirements. I'm bothered that this is 7* only. That's pure money grubbing.

And I am not even sure it's good money grubbing. By making it a 7* only obtainable with 9 other 7*, the only people who will spend heavy money are the new whale or the few players who need a few shard for a Ben/Leia/Empire toon. More than 1 pack to buy will stop a lot of player to spend money.
    The old one won't need to spend a lot. They have the character needed and geared and a lot of them have enough currency stock to gear/zeta CLS.

The only thing I see happening is a minor change in the meta where the whales claim back the top rank, but with collusion it is not really something that will stand long.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Uklem wrote: »

For me, long time players are whales. A money whale can do things earlier, but a time whale has as much advantage compared to a new player (1 year or less). Time is money even in this game. This is not a bad thing but saying that a F2P old player is the same as a F2P new player is irrealist.

And making Luke a 7* only character IS screwing the non whales. You could have your long time loyal fans/players badge without forbiding a big part of the playerbase to even test the new content.

Lol time whales
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »
    Been playing since launch and don't have old Ben.

He wasn't that good nor was he necessary. And besides that why should we have to invest in a character just because other people use him?

You dont, but then you cant be mad if he's needed in the future.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    I've been playing for 14 months and have a 7* Old Ben that cost me absolutely nothing.
  • Jamesm wrote: »

This literally can apply to any toon
  • SWGAMER6 wrote: »

1.) Actually, he was good. When did you start this game? Google "old ben meta" and refresh your memory, or learn something new.

2.) We have to invest in him because the game says so. This is the third different thread I've seen you in where you cannot understand this concept. The game doesn't sit on your lap and ask you what you feel like doing. You must adapt to the game's guidelines. If you don't want to adapt, fine. But if that's your choice, then be adult enough to stop complaining about the choices you've made.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Jamesm wrote: »

I'm not mad because I need him in the future. I'm mad because people like you think it was clear that he was going to be needed and it wasn't clear. I'm mad because the devs hype up commander puke, who happens to be the main character in star wars, and then makes it so that most players can not attain him when said hyped up event starts.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    edited August 2017

I'm not mad because I need him in the future. I'm mad because people like you think it was clear that he was going to be needed and it wasn't clear. I'm mad because the devs hype up commander puke, who happens to be the main character in star wars, and then makes it so that most players can not attain him when said hyped up event starts.

No ones saying we knew, we GUESSED. I saw multiple theories on the forums and thought that it made a lot of sense so i ran with it.
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member

This literally can apply to any toon

Its true, i still have lots of toons that i havent worked on. If those toons are needed in thr future......so be it.
  • Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited August 2017

No ones saying we knew, we GUESSED. I saw multiple theories on the forums and thought that it made a lot of sense so i ran with it.

So if you pick one of the other theories..you are just kitten? That is a good way to drive away players

See, this discussion isnt abt Commander Luke as much as it is where the game is going.
  • The only thing that i'm pretty sure is that every shard is gonna be broken in two for a few months. One part that is going to have a Luke on the top, and the rest.
  • It will at least make him somewhat exclusive and you won't see the posts on how a 5* character is too powerful.
  • IlkhanHo wrote: »
    The only thing that i'm pretty sure is that every shard is gonna be broken in two for a few months. One part that is going to have a Luke on the top, and the rest.

And those people who worked on and invested in nonrebel teams are now screwed. We just got to a point where there was not or two metas...now we have one
  • Dawnofdeadeye
    233 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Not trying to bash players, but I agree that if you've been playing since almost the beginning, you should have everyone required for Luke. It genuinely sucks if you don't, but c'mon, what were you doing way back then?

I've played for a long time. Running droids for a while...didn't follow meta. Been working on old Ben past month though. Mods sidetracked a lot of shard farming. Then they added dt, sithtrooper,sith assassin. All seemed better than old Ben. Probably others in there. Lots of people don't follow the meta. I deplore chaze kitten. Gonna be even worse with commander Luke probably
  • Uklem
    46 posts Member
    It will at least make him somewhat exclusive and you won't see the posts on how a 5* character is too powerful.

No you'll see post from new player who will claim that this game is a Pay 2 Win.
    From an active player pov it won't be true but for new player they will simply watch what top 10 rank use and when they will learn that Luke will need more than a year to obtain (worse if Jedi Luke is the same type of event or need CLS), they will post review on the store and future player will think that a credit card is mandatory.

And despite what the whales think, there is a need for new blood for this game.
  • Winstar wrote: »

^That.

I got Old Ben to 5* when the dodge meta was rampant. Then realized his time had passed and I missed the dodge meta boat, and farmed Wedge, Lando, and Biggs a year ago instead.

Glad my Old Ben effort is not wasted.

This basically.

I didn't run Old Ben lead. I used him for his ability block and offense down on my Lando lead STHan team with RG and QGJ.

Good times!

I didn't farm Wiggs until after Dangerzone meta had passed.

Sure, some players in my shard never unlocked him but many have him at 7* and G10.

URoRRuR'R'R
    Hoth Rebel Solder
    Lobot
    Old Ben.

CUP, M.E., Nightsister Acolyte, JKG shards come from some place other than Cantina Energy, where all the best characters are. In fact, all of those dudes (except Mob Enforcer) are 7* because I finish GW every day and do well in Arena.

So yeah.

Acolyte only comes from her Cantina node. I unlocked her recently on my quest to unlock every toon.
    (Grievous 18/80 is the only one left until Luke comes out).
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I've played for a long time. Running droids for a while...didn't follow meta. Been working on old Ben past month though. Mods sidetracked a lot of shard farming. Then they added dt, sithtrooper,sith assassin. All seemed better than old Ben. Probably others in there. Lots of people don't follow the meta. I deplore chaze kitten. Gonna be even worse with commander Luke probably

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't mean to imply: follow the meta! I don't have Baze, Chirrut or Thrawn. Don't care about any of them. Actually, I would if they were easy to farm as Old Ben, who is/was very easy to farm. That's the difference. Ben was good back in the day, plus he was easy to get.

I can understand people who joined the game later and passed up Ben once there were better characters to get. I can also understand them being angry. What I don't understand is people who are angry but who've been around since the beginning of the game (which is not you, appreciate the reply.)
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Here since launch and I haven't even bothered to look at old Ben till now just like 85% of the players base

He's going to be super important in the territory battles! Additionally he has no match in either raid.

I've never farmed a shard of him, my 14 shards are probably from GW. At this rate I'll have him open sometime in 2027?

URoRRuR'R'R
    Hoth Rebel Solder
    Lobot
    Old Ben.

So yeah.

Acolyte only comes from her Cantina node. I unlocked her recently on my quest to unlock every toon.
    (Grievous 18/80 is the only one left until Luke comes out).

I got Acolyte in a Bronzium. Mixed her up with the lvl 1 7* Initiate I got chillin' on the bench.

No big deal to me, my Old Ben will be good to go by the event. I was just saying that it would have been silly to farm Old Ben in the last year or so since he doesn't have a ship, isn't used in the raids, and isn't viable in arena. So that's why even dedicated players don't have him.

• I don't understand how people didn't see this coming. It was heavily hinted at. I only had OB unlocked at 4 star until the Luke's journey posts started. Once I read the Dev's posts and did the flash event I decided to evaluate anyone who might be relevant to Luke and get them to 7 star. I did that b/c I really want this character. Thankfully that was only Luke and OB. If you are upset now it should be with yourself for not reading into the obvious clues or the many theories people had as to who might be needed... most included the characters needed though I think R2 was typically left out. Side note, I am really surprised people are so upset about needing OB but not R2. R2 is much harder to obtain. Anyway, you should be able to get 15-20 shards/day for OB with 2-3 refreshes so get to it.
  • I think I just figured it'd be another unlock at 5 star character, which I'm fine with. Of course, now I need to beef up my Empire guys so I can try to get R2 at seven stars, so there's another batch of characters you need to work on to get another char up to 7 to get another one. It's character-ception! ::::cue the Hans Zimmer horns::::
This discussion has been closed.